InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Lucky Ones ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

The Lucky Ones

By Terri Botta

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Sole copyright belongs to Viz and Rumiko Takashi. I'm poor so don't sue.

Rating: R for later chapters.

Pairing: Inuyasha/Kagome, Miroku/Sango

Summary: Sometimes Fate hands you a gift you never thought you'd ever get, and it's up to you to accept it for what it is.

Email feedback to: tci100@psu.edu

Webpage: http://www.wordsmiths.net/Botta

*******

Chapter Fifteen

Kagome was awakened from her peaceful sleep by Yukio getting his own midnight snack. She was disoriented at first, unsure of exactly where she was or why she was half naked under Inuyasha's haori, but then the memory of what had occurred came rushing back to her and she flushed with heat.

`Inuyasha and I, we… Oh my God, we actually… I'm not a virgin anymore.' She smiled to herself. `And neither is he.'

Somehow that knowledge brought her great pride and she snuggled further against the warm body that was wrapped around her from behind. The body shifted and moved, one hand coming to cup her under one breast and pull her closer. The haori slid to the ground while a set of soft lips planted butterfly kisses all along her neck from her ear to her shoulder. She moaned at the attention, then gasped when a set of sharp teeth bit her very, very gently where her neck met her shoulder and a tongue laved the spot. Hot breath tickled her ear and she shivered, but not with cold.

"Kagome…" Inuyasha's husky voice murmured.

"Inuyasha," she replied.

The hand on the side where Yukio was nursing slid down to stroke her thigh, the clawed fingers sliding under her skirt to touch her bare skin. Ironically, the touch didn't have the effect her new lover thought it would have. Instead it served to remind her that her panties were flung somewhere in the clearing and she had no idea where. The thought made her giggle and Inuyasha froze.

"Kagome?" he whispered tentatively.

She craned her head to look at him, taking in his worried, uncertain eyes, and gave him a sweet smile.

"I was just wondering where you threw my underwear."

"The little white thing?"

"Yeah."

He cast about with his eyes and nose, locating the object. "It's over there. Do you want me to get it?"

Kagome wasn't imagining things when she thought his voice sounded disappointed, and she giggled again, shaking her head.

"No," she replied, pressing against him in a way she hoped would tell him that all was well between them. "I just wanted to know where they were."

The hand started stroking again and his lips kissed her shoulder.

"Okay."

She sighed and let him continue his attentions. As his hand caressed her thigh, lightly scratching with his claws- not hard enough to leave marks, but enough to make her skin tingle- he trailed kisses down her shoulder. He turned her body and his own enough so that he could bring his head around to her front, and began kissing the swell of her breast. When his lips closed over the hard nipple she gasped and grew very still.

She was left with a strange decision. On one hand, she really liked what he was doing and didn't particularly want him to stop. However, the whole thing was surreal. Yukio was actively nursing, and the thought of Inuyasha suckling at the other breast was oddly disconcerting on a number of levels. The first, of course, being that they were engaging in that type of intimacy with the baby right there. The second being that she felt protective towards her infant's food. The milk was ultimately Yukio's and no one else could lay claim to it. Her dilemma was that she didn't want to refuse Inuyasha and make him feel rejected, but at the same time she didn't want him drinking Yukio's milk either. That and the fact that it was one thing to make love when the baby was sleeping in his sling, but making love while he was awake and right there was something she was definitely not comfortable with.

In the end though, she didn't have to make the choice at all, because Inuyasha already knew all of that, and he wouldn't take milk from his son's mouth either. He sucked hard enough on the nipple to draw milk once, taking the smallest of mouthfuls, then relaxed his lips and let his tongue just lick gently. Then he drew back and rested his cheek against the soft mound of the breast, nuzzling into her flesh lovingly.

She relaxed when he released her and mentally berated herself for doubting him for even a moment. Letting out a sigh, she lifted her free hand and threaded her fingers into his long hair, rubbing the part of his scalp that she could reach in their awkward position. He sighed in answer and drew her closer to him with arms that wrapped around her waist, and not for the first time she marveled at hanyou flexibility, because she knew that he was twisted around but it didn't seem to bother him.

They stayed that way in tender silence for a brief moment until a noise from Yukio caught their attention. Kagome had enough time to realize it was his little growl before he kicked, whacking Inuyasha right on the chin.

"Ow! Brat!" Inuyasha yelled, reeling back and glaring at the baby. "What the hell did you do that for, whelp!"

Two big golden eyes glared back and another warning growl rumbled out of the tiny chest. Kagome began to laugh.

"He's mad! He's really, really mad!" she exclaimed, still giggling.

"Oi! It's not funny!" Inuyasha complained, rubbing his sore chin. "Brat can kick."

"He thought you were taking his milk," she snickered, then bounced Yukio lightly. "Oh you're getting feisty. First you bite that smelly woman and now you kick your father. You'd better be careful, Otou won't tolerate that."

"Damn straight, whelp," Inuyasha growled warningly. "You can't boss me around."

Yukio growled back, but Inuyasha silenced him with a hand on the back of his neck. The adult hanyou didn't even have to squeeze before the pup submitted, going limp with a whine.

"Inuyasha, that's enough," Kagome said seriously when he didn't take his hand off Yukio's neck right away.

Inuyasha obeyed, releasing the contrite pup who promptly began to sniffle and cry. Kagome shushed him and pacified him with the other breast. His whimpers died as soon as he had what he wanted.

"Don't be rough with him," she scolded.

"You can't let him dominate you," Inuyasha told her firmly.

"He's just a baby. He doesn't understand."

"He's a hanyou pup, Kagome. If he knows enough to growl and defend his milk, he's old enough to learn his place. Don't question me on this."

She gave him a disapproving look that softened when she saw him rub his chin again.

"You're just angry because he kicked you," she teased lightly.

"Well, there's nothing wrong with his legs for certain."

She turned around to face him and they sat across from each other, both still in various stages of undress. Inuyasha was as bare-chested as she, but he'd put his hakama back on. He was staring at her hungrily, then his face flushed and he looked away shyly.

His embarrassment was endearing and she smiled. Leaning over, she kissed the sore spot on his chin tenderly.

"Better now?" she asked softly.

He touched the place where her lips had just been and looked at her longingly. She responded by kissing him gently, and his hands came up to cup her face as he kissed her back, his tongue sliding across her lips.

"Kagome..."

"Inuyasha," she replied, stroking his arm with her free hand, reassuring him and reconnecting with him. He had to be feeling a little vulnerable and uncertain after what had passed between them, and she wanted to be sure that he knew everything was okay. "Thank you for last night."

He pulled back, gasping in shock and stared at her wide-eyed, his upper teeth biting his lower lip. Then he whipped away and squatted a few inches away from her, his fists planted on the ground as he fought to hold in his emotions.

"Inuyasha?" she questioned, unhappy that what she thought would be reassurance had the exact opposite affect.

"You're thanking me?" he whispered faintly in disbelief, his head bowed.

"Yes. Shouldn't I? You shared something precious with me last night, and I'm very grateful," she explained gently, not understanding why he was upset.

"You're grateful?" he gasped, giving her another wide-eyed glance before he looked away. "It was your first time too Kagome and you gave it to me. I'm the one who should be grateful. I'm the one who was given something precious. You could have had anyone: Hojou, Akitoki, even that stinking wolf, but it was me you chose. I'm the one who should be licking your feet."

"Inuyasha..."

"Thank you, Kagome."

"Inuyasha."

He looked at her, his eyes uncertain.

"You're too far away."

He gave her a shy, relieved smile and moved close again, taking her into his arms from the side and nuzzling his nose into the crook of her neck.

"Oi, whelp, don't you dare kick me again," he warned Yukio.

Kagome giggled. "He won't. He's almost finished anyway."

"You can tell?"

"Yeah."

"So he'll be done soon?"

She nodded, rubbing her chin against the top of his head. "Mm hmm."

"Then he'll sleep, right? It's still dark," he asked, his voice slightly hopeful.

"He should."

"Okay."

They stayed quiet until Yukio was finished eating, then Kagome burped him and changed his diaper. A few minutes later, he was in his sling and settling down. Inuyasha took him and hung the strap from the bough he'd been on before. She waited for him to come back to her, her hands folded neatly in her lap, as proper as someone could be when she was topless and not wearing any underwear.

"Kagome," he breathed, returning to her side and sitting next to her.

"Inuyasha," she answered calmly, watching his face as he tried to read her, his eyes searching hers.

She could tell he wanted to make love again, but he was being so shy about it- like he was afraid to ask. His uncertainty was adorable and warmed her heart. She held in her chuckle because she didn't want him to think she was laughing at him, and waited for him to make the first move.

It came in the form of a soft kiss which she returned eagerly. Then he let out a long sigh and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her close.

"Kagome... Is it alright, Kagome?"

"Yes," she answered and kissed him with a little more force than he'd kissed her, telling him in words and deeds that she wanted him.

"If we do this again, we won't get back to the village before dawn," he said when their lips parted.

"That's okay. I'd rather stay here and be alone with you anyway. I like having you to myself."

He gave a short laugh and hugged her tight.

"I don't like sharing you with anyone else either."

"I know."

With a gentle push he laid her down, spreading his haori underneath her as a barrier against the cold ground. She went willingly, letting him lead, knowing he wouldn't do anything to hurt her. He seemed determined to take his time, removing her skirt and kissing her skin sweetly, mapping her body with his lips and hands. In moments he had her moaning with pleasure and threading her fingers into his hair to rub his ears, then he moved his head between her legs and she once again thanked anyone who was listening for his very talented tongue.

In the aftermath of her climax, he urged her onto her stomach and she realized that he wanted to take her from behind, obviously in the inu-youkai way. She obliged him, and rose to her hands and knees, bracing herself for his next move. It came swiftly and a little more roughly than she would have liked, but she bore it without complaint.

He draped himself across her back, lightly nipping at the base of her neck as his hands reached under her to knead her breasts until they slid down to grasp her hips and pull her onto him in time with his rhythm. She gasped, the position being deeper than the one they had used before and her newly opened body protested the invasion, but she didn't want to tell him to stop. Instead she bit her lip and tried to concentrate on the memory of his face during their first time, and the feelings it brought to her, to help her ignore the soreness and discomfort: Inuyasha's eyes misty with tears and love. Inuyasha's mouth opened in a silent cry. Inuyasha gasping her name as he climaxed…

`I love you. I'll do anything for you. You're beautiful, my hanyou. I adore you.'

He stopped and she came back to herself, wondering if he'd finished. Slowly, he pulled out of her and she turned her head to look over her shoulder. He was kneeling on his haunches behind her and his head was down, his ears drooped. He was stroking himself with one hand as well but it looked like he was going soft.

"Inuyasha?" she questioned. `What's wrong?' she wanted to ask. Was she failing to please him?

"I don't like it that way," he answered breathlessly and he sounded like he was in pain. "I can't see your face. And... and you're not responding the way you did before. Kagome, was I hurting you?"

She turned around and sat down on his haori, facing him. She wasn't sure how to answer. She didn't want to hurt him, but she didn't want to lie either, then she realized that he'd know if she was lying and that he'd already figured out that something wasn't right. The very fact that he'd stopped was a testament to his control and his sensitivity to her reactions.

"A little," she admitted as gently as she could. "It was a little deep and I'm still a little sore."

"Forgive me," he whispered brokenly.

She moved close and touched his arm reassuringly. "It's okay, really. We're both really new at this."

He shook his head. "I don't ever want to hurt you. Not ever. I'm sorry."

He sounded devastated and her heart broke. Leaning over, she kissed his face and stroked his chest lovingly.

"Shhh. It's alright. I know you didn't mean it. I forgive you."

"Kagome..."

"I forgive you, Inuyasha," she told him, then smiled a wicked smile. She thought she knew a way to make sure he knew she didn't blame him, or hold anything against him.

Braver than she ever thought she could be, Kagome crouched over his lap and took him into her mouth.

Her friend Yuka, who had a boyfriend, once compared going down on a boy to eating a popsicle. At the time, she'd accepted the analogy because she had no personal experience to go on. Now she realized that Yuka was dead wrong. It wasn't anything at all like eating a popsicle. For one thing, popsicles were very cold, not almost hot enough to burn your mouth. And they got smaller when you licked and sucked them, not bigger. And they tasted sweet and fruity, not salty and bitter. Then again, they also didn't scream your name and grab your hair, and altogether make you feel powerful and wanted and loved and beautiful. Popsicles just didn't have that strong an effect on her.

Inuyasha howling, writhing and ripping up the earth next to him with his claws so he wouldn't pull her hair out by its roots, now that had an effect on her.

He'd fallen to his back, gasping, moaning, and crying as she worked him, but she knew she wasn't doing it right. Ayumi had once found a stash of her parents' adult films and they'd popped one in during a late night sleepover- thus spurring Yuka to give them the whole `popsicle' talk. The woman on the screen had been able to take her man all the way in, and she could barely fit half of Inuyasha before she started gagging. Then again, she doubted Inuyasha cared.

He clutched her head again, but this time to stop her not encourage.

"Kagome! Kagome, stop! Stop! I'm going to...!"

`Oh...'

She stopped, really not sure if she was ready to `swallow' him if he did climax in her mouth. Her actions, however, had made her want him and she had no intention of leaving him hanging. Crawling up his body, she straddled his hips and lowered herself down onto him. He grabbed her thighs, trying to dislodge her.

"Kagome, no! You're sore!"

`Hmmm, if you're still thinking about that, I'm doing something wrong.'

"It's okay. This way, I can control how deep you go and it won't hurt me."

He stared up at her, shell-shocked and wide-eyed. His pupils were almost completely dilated, and he was breathing in huge, heaving gasps. She smiled at him, and began to move.

The position did leave her in complete control, but also left her in charge of her own pleasure. She tried to find a pace that pleased them both, but it was harder than she'd thought it would be. Finally, she found a rhythm that worked, and with Inuyasha's help as he raised his hips to meet her, she was able to build the passion between them.

Looking down at him, she took in the sight of him beneath her. His hair was spread out around his head in a fan of silken silver and his bangs were plastered to his forehead in sweaty ringlets. His skin was flushed and damp, and the expression on his face was one of abject adoration and bliss. He looked positively ravished and beautiful- the most beautiful thing she had ever seen in her entire lifetime. She took his hands, squeezing them tight, and smiled at him.

"You are magnificent," she whispered.

He gave a strangled cry in answer as he threw his head back and yanked his hands from her grasp, reaching for her, begging.

"Kagome! Kagome, please... please let me..."

His hands were sliding up her sides, pushing her backwards, and she realized what he was trying to do. Perfectly content to switch and let him do some of the work, she shifted and let him lower her to her back. He became dislodged during the move, but he remedied that as soon as he was between her legs again.

With him in control and both of them too far gone to wait, he drove her to a swift and powerful climax, wasting no time and climaxing right after her. They both cried each other's names as they shuddered with release, and Inuyasha collapsed on top of her immediately thereafter. They stayed there, a trembling, sweaty mass, until their breathing calmed and their hearts stopped pounding.

"Okay. I like this position best," she finally gasped, still tingling from her orgasm.

His answer was a low chuckle that graduated into a barking laugh, which felt very strange considering that he was still inside her.

"Do you?" he replied, lifting up on his arms so he could look at her. "I like this one too."

Slowly he disengaged and came to rest beside her, one hand reaching to hold hers tightly.

"Thank you," he whispered.

She chuckled. "You're welcome."

"That was the best so far, ne?"

"Yeah," she agreed.

"Good. Now I know where to start to make it even better," he said, giving her a cocky smirk. He looked so happy and pleased with himself.

She smiled back warmly. "Oh no, I think I'm in trouble."

"You've been with me almost two years and you're just figuring that out?"

"No, but you should know by now that I like trouble."

"Heh, that's why you got stuck with me."

She slapped him lightly on the chest. "Hey, I'm not `stuck with you.' Don't ever say that, especially not when we're together like this, okay? I'm with you because I like being with you and I want to be by your side."

He gave her an awe-filled look. "I know. And that's the most amazing thing of all."

They stared at each other and Kagome was certain he was going to tell her he loved her. She was waiting for it, because then she could tell him she loved him too, but the moment was broken by Yukio fussing in his sling. Kagome winced and Inuyasha groaned.

"What timing, pup."

"Do you think we disturbed him?" she asked.

"He's probably been awake for a while, but figured since we were finished we could pay attention to him now."

"He is pushy."

"He lives up to his name," he reminded, then added, "Should we go get him?"

Kagome sighed. "Yeah. We probably should get more sleep, and I... I think I need to rest some before we do that again."

He looked at her in concern. "I didn't hurt you, did I?"

She shook her head. "No, I'm just still a bit sore from before. It's normal, I'm sure. I've never been with a boy before and well..." She gave him a sly smile. "You're well endowed."

He blinked at her then blushed. "I am?" Then he got a little irritated. "Wait, how would you know?"

Now it was her turn to blush. "Well, I've seen guys naked before..."

"You have? Who? When?" he demanded.

She laughed at his jealously. "Well, you for one. And Miroku."

"Miroku! What were you doing looking at that letch?!"

She rolled her eyes. "He was just getting out of the hot spring. I surprised him. It was an accident. And... I've seen pictures of guys..."

"Pictures? Where?"

"Back home... in books..."

"Books? What kind of books have you been reading, woman?!"

She giggled. He was getting all flustered and jealous, and with him naked and still sweaty, it was amusing. She half expected him to start marking his territory to warn off other males.

`If he starts peeing on trees, I'm gonna `sit' him…'

"It's nothing. Never mind. You're nicely proportioned. Leave it at that. Besides, there's no reason for you to be jealous. As you said yourself, you were my first so that tells you how I feel about any other guys."

He snorted. "I just don't like the idea of you looking at other men."

"Why? None of them can compare to your greatness."

His eyes narrowed. "Hey, you're humoring me."

She snickered. "Just a little. But it's true. No one can compare to you, and no one ever will. So relax, my jealous hanyou. I only have eyes for you."

It looked like he would argue, but Yukio upped his fussing to a full cry.

"We'd better get him before he starts wailing loud enough to wake the village. They'd come up here, torches burning, and we'd have to explain why we're naked under this tree," she said.

He laughed and stood, walking over to retrieve their son. Kagome watched him, enjoying the view as he moved. She figured after what they had done together, she was allowed to look now. He was fluid grace and balance packaged into a lean, muscular form that had not a spare ounce of flesh on it. His muscles rippled under his smooth skin, showing off his washboard stomach and powerful legs. Oh, and he had a nice butt too.

It thrilled her to know that no one else had ever seen him this way, or shared what they had shared. It certainly put her one up on Kikyou who'd never even kissed him when she was alive.

`Cold undead bitch,' she thought, allowing herself a moment of bitterness.

She let herself feel it sometimes because then it wouldn't ever control her. By acknowledging her jealousy and resentment, and knowing her feelings were normal under the circumstances, she was able to diffuse them and honor them for what they were: proof that she loved Inuyasha. In this way, no one would ever be able to turn her against him or use her negative feelings to force her to hurt him.

`Oh well, her loss, my gain.'

He noticed her appreciative stare as he returned to her side carrying Yukio in his sling and blushed a little. Then the blush faded and he lifted his head, his lips turning up into a sultry smile and he put a little swagger into his step.

`Hmm, I guess he figures he's allowed to gloat some now too.'

"See something you like?" he asked huskily.

She smiled back, playing his game. "Mmm hmmm, better than any picture I've ever seen."

He sat down next to her and she looked at him through her lashes. "Only this one I get to touch."

She trailed a finger down his chest to his stomach, making him shiver.

"Kagome…" he sighed, closing his eyes in pleasure.

She giggled and took the baby from him, settling Yukio in her lap.

"And you, fussy boy. What do you want, hmmm?" she asked the infant.

He wasn't hungry and he didn't need to be changed, but he was wide awake and looking at her with his big eyes.

"Do you want attention?" she asked sweetly, rubbing his belly and cooing.

He smiled and burbled happily, sticking his fist into his mouth.

"Fine, rub his belly will you," Inuyasha sniffed in feigned annoyance.

"I've already rubbed a lot more than your belly tonight."

"Keh!"

She snickered, then a feeling of wetness between her legs made her pause.

"Here, I need to clean up," she said, giving Yukio back to him for a few moments.

He obliged her, entertaining the baby with his hair and fingers while she used some of Yukio's cleaning cloths to wipe herself off. Knowing what she was cleaning from her skin made her think of something rather important that they hadn't paid any mind to until now, and she hoped she wasn't going to regret getting caught up in the heat of passion.

"Inuyasha?" she asked tentatively, finding her underwear and putting it back on.

"Hmm?"

"We didn't use any birth control."

"Birth control?"

"Ummm… something to keep me from getting pregnant," she explained, slipping on her skirt.

He blinked at her then shrugged. "It's okay. I know your heat scent and you're not in it."

She blushed. "You… you do?"

He gave her a tolerant look and tapped his nose. "It's not like you can hide it from me. It's kind of obvious."

"Oh. Well, you've never said anything…" she said, returning to his side and settling next to him. She cast about for her bra and shirt, putting them on.

"I like living. It's bad enough when you go into heat because you get all cranky a few days later. I keep my head down because I know if I don't you'll slam it into the ground- repeatedly."

She chuckled nervously. "Am I really that bad?" `I never realized he could smell when I'm fertile. I figured he could smell when I started bleeding, but I didn't know he could smell the other…'

"You can be. If you don't get enough to eat and sleep, then you're worse."

"I didn't realize that you were so aware of my body changes."

He shrugged. "I'm aware of any change in your scent, Kagome. As I tried to tell you, scent tells us inu-youkai a lot. We depend on it. I'm always aware of the scents around us. I can't help but notice when you smell different."

"Well, in this case, I think that will help us a lot because you'll be able to smell when I'm fertile and we can use precautions."

"Yeah, you wouldn't want another pup while you're still nursing this greedy whelp," he agreed, rubbing Yukio's ears.

Yukio giggled and waved his hands at his father, then he rolled to look at Kagome. She picked him up and held him in her lap while Inuyasha got dressed in his hakama and under kimono.

"Now why wouldn't I want another cute little baby like you, hmmm?" she said to him, tickling him under his chin. "Could it be that you're already turning out to be as jealous as your father? All these cute men just vying for my attention. Whatever am I going to do?"

Inuyasha snorted, draping his haori over her shoulders, then he settled behind her and pulled her and Yukio with him as he braced his back against a tree.

"He starts interrupting us when we're in the middle of something good and I'm scruffing him," the adult hanyou warned.

Kagome looked down at the baby in her lap, then gave Inuyasha a fond look.

"If he starts doing that then yes, he'll need to learn not to."

"Keh, he'll be worse when he's older."

Kagome thought back to the time when Souta was two, remembering how Mama couldn't even go to the bathroom without him. He'd bang on the closed door and scream until she came out. She wondered if Yukio would be the same way.

"We'll manage," she said with a shrug and a yawn. She was getting tired now that everything had calmed down.

Yukio grabbed her finger and started gnawing on it.

"Ow. We really have to do something about your biting," she complained, pulling her finger away.

Inuyasha replaced her finger with his own and felt along the inside of the baby's mouth.

"He's teething. The upper fangs are starting to come in."

"Oh great."

"We should get him something to chew on."

"I already bought a teething ring for him. Do you want me to get it?"

"He can use my finger for now. He's not hurting me."

"You're sure?"

He nodded. "Yeah. He's getting sleepy again anyway. His eyes are getting tired. He'll go back to sleep soon."

"Hmm, maybe he just wanted to be cuddled."

"There is that."

Kagome snuggled into Inuyasha's strong chest. "I can understand why. I like to be cuddled too."

He nuzzled her hair and gave her a soft kiss on her temple in answer, then pulled her closer. Kagome slipped the strap of the baby sling over her head and settled Yukio against her body, sequestering him safely between the two of them. The infant gave a tired gurgle and settled down with a tiny sigh. Kagome shared his sentiment and gave a sigh of her own, pulling Inuyasha's haori around her shoulders for warmth.

Inuyasha's arms came further around her, tucking her into his embrace, and he rested his chin on her head as she snuggled into his shoulder. She fell asleep to the sound of his heartbeat in her ears.

When she woke again it was daylight. Inuyasha was already up and looking at her with tenderness and peaceful contentment.

"Good morning," he greeted.

She kissed him, loving the look on his face. "Now it's a good morning," she told him.

He gave a throaty growl, his eyes turning heated and his hands gripping her a little bit tighter.

"Be careful, woman, we have to get to the village sometime."

"You mean we can't stay here all day and just cuddle and make love and live on air?"

She saw his face grow thoughtful as if he was actually considering it, then he shook his head and frowned sadly.

"No. We need to find out about any shard rumors, and the others know that we're coming back very soon. Someone would interrupt us," he answered with no small amount of disappointment.

She giggled and pulled slowly out of his embrace, stretching. Yukio fussed in his sling, and she knew it was just about time to feed and change him. Taking him out of his carrier, she switched his diaper and gave him breakfast. She could already feel the more prominent bumps from the fangs just beginning to cut through his gums, and knew that even if he didn't bite her, nursing him once he had teeth was going to be a challenge.

Inuyasha stayed next to her, nuzzling her and smiling at her and all around being uncharacteristically affectionate. Joy was just radiating off of him in waves and she couldn't help but be happy herself, smiling at him and returning his affections until Yukio was finished and they were ready to go. Inuyasha picked up their supplies and her bag, and they left the well clearing.

They emerged from the forest and into the sunlight. It was a bright, beautiful day and the village looked so quaint and peaceful with its rice paddies and wooden huts. Kagome stopped to admire it and feel at home.

"We need our own hut," Inuyasha said suddenly.

"Hmm?" she questioned, looking askance at him.

"What? You want to keep staying with Kaede after… last night?"

"Oh," she replied, understanding.

He got a strange, excited look on his face and he hit his palm with one fist in decision. "I will build you a hut, Kagome. No! A house! I will build you a good house, Kagome, a strong house. With separate rooms for sleeping!"

"A house?" she repeated. He said it with such conviction and enthusiasm that she was taken aback.

"And it will have a place for you to take your baths and glass windows!" he went on happily.

There was something in his face, in his voice, in the way he was saying these things, that set off little warning bells in her mind. There was something important going on here, something that was being implied and not actually said. Something having to do with the building of a house.

It hit her suddenly and she gasped. She remembered Miroku's proposal to Sango, how he had asked her to live with him and bear his child. Then after Naraku had been defeated, he would not wed her until he had made a place for them to live and raise their children. It had been a very important thing and everyone had helped build the couple's new home, but ultimately the greater part of the work and planning had been up to the houshi at his own insistence.

Now Inuyasha was promising her a house of her own that he would build with his own hands, and his vow was not unlike Miroku's to Sango.

`He's… he's proposing.'

For a moment her heart could not contain her joy, but then she came crashing back down to earth. He wasn't really asking her to marry him. No, he was assuming that she would stay with him and live in the house he would build.

`But you will…' a little voice in her mind whispered.

Yes, but how dare he assume that without even asking her? She was just about to tell him not to go all medieval on her when she realized that he essentially was medieval. The Sengoku Jidai wasn't all that different from Medieval Europe, and in these times a man had to prove that he could provide his bride with food and shelter. Inuyasha was only responding in the way that was accepted by his era. There was no such thing as women's rights and equal opportunity. With the sole exceptions of mikos and taijiyas like Sango, women were expected to marry, bear lots of sons and obey their husbands.

She clenched her fists, unexpectedly angry. `He just wants me to drop everything, spread my legs and be his little woman… of all the arrogant, selfish… that CHAUVANISTIC PIG!'

`But… but you want to be his woman,' the little voice reminded. `And you know he'd never ask you to leave your life or treat you as a sex object or something to vent his need on. Look how he treated you last night when he found out he was hurting you. Those were not the actions of someone who is arrogant and selfish. Even now, he is promising to build you a house much finer than anything else in the village because he knows how much more luxury you are used to. He wants you to be happy here. He wants you to stay by his side and be his.'

Reality settled in on her as she remembered another person he had wanted to stay by his side, and she almost started to cry. `I may be his, but he's not mine and I can't let him do something like that for me.'

"Inuyasha, wait," she said, interrupting his descriptive plans. "You don't have to do that."

He stopped and blinked at her. "Of course I do. Where will we live if I don't?"

She sighed. "Inuyasha. Don't build me a house," she said firmly.

He stared at her, his eyes opening wide, and for a moment he looked absolutely crushed.

`Oh no, he thinks I'm rejecting him.'

She scrambled to reassure him, reaching for his hands, while she tried to find the words to tell him what she was feeling.

"Inuyasha… I don't need a house. In… in my time, men and women… they stay together and sometimes the man never builds the woman a house. But that's okay because she doesn't need a house and she stays with him anyway."

She could see him puzzling out her meaning, trying to understand what she was telling him, then his face grew impossibly sad.

"What… what have I done? How have I behaved that you would think I would use a woman in such a way? That I would use you… like that," he answered softly, pulling his hands away from hers.

`Oh, Inuyasha…'

"You wouldn't… and you won't. I know that, but…" She trailed off, tears welling in her eyes.

`I have to do it. I have to tell him. It's the only way he'll understand.'

"But I love you," she admitted, then met his stunned face. "I love you, Inuyasha, and I want to be with you. I want nothing more than to be by your side forever. We've talked about this before, about my decision to stay with you in spite of… everything. And I know that while I am, and have always been, yours; you aren't mine and you can't make the kind of promises to me that you're making. But that's okay. I'm okay with that."

He stared at her for a long moment, then his face fell and he looked away, his ears drooping.

"Kikyou," he breathed, his voice full of regret.

"Kikyou," she confirmed. "I know you made her a promise, and she holds part of your heart still. I know I'm her replacement and I'm okay with that because I chose it in order to stay with you. But it means I have no right to you or claim to you because you're not free to be claimed. So until your relationship with her is resolved… in whatever way it's resolved, I'll stay with you and take whatever you're free to offer me."

She stopped, unable to go on, and hoping she really didn't have to. She'd said most of what she'd needed to say, and she prayed he would understand.

He was quiet for a long time, his eyes looking down at the village, and she concentrated on her son, holding him and rocking him against her shoulder. He was a little fussy because she was upset, and she needed to comfort him almost as much as he needed comforting.

"You're not her replacement," Inuyasha finally said, his voice sad and defeated. "You never were. You couldn't be when you are so much more to me than she ever was. And you shouldn't have to take whatever I'm free to give you. You deserve so much better than me."

"There is no one better, at least not for me Inuyasha."

He gave a short nod as if he had expected her to say that, and his face grew even sadder and more serious.

"Let's go, Kagome," he said, and began walking towards the village.

She looked at his back for a moment as he led the way, her heart aching and bleeding silently. Then she hurried to join him, at his side where she had been for the better part of two years. He didn't look at her, but he did hold her hand when she reached for his. It was a small consolation.