Fan Fiction ❯ Different Chances ❯ Chapter 1

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Title: Different Chances

Author: tir-synni

Disclaimer: Um, do I really need to say it?

Author Notes: Written for the Legend of Zelda fanfiction ML on one of my Yahoo groups.

Warning: shounen-ai, implied mpreg, HyliansxGorons (need I say more on that one?), unbeta'd

Addy: relisprince@hotmail.com,

Rating: PG-13

North...west...east...south. Four corners, each representing a land that was never his, yet like all the others, fell under his jurisdiction. Marked by the shimmering triforce on his hand, it was his destiny to protect and serve these towns. Since he first wandered away from the Kokiri Forest, it had been his duty to aid whatever imperiled land he came across.

Thus, it would not be very heroic to keep the four masks he had acquired in Termina, however helpful they would be.

Link bowed before Darmani's grave, his head respectfully low. Of all the masks, this would have been the one he wished to keep the most. Mikau's mask...the help it gave him throughout his battles did nothing to assuage the pain it caused in his heart. Seeing Lulu's face, as she thought her love had returned to her...then realizing she did not recognize his eyes....He willingly parted with the Zora mask. Despite the grief radiating from her, Lulu's thanks had been sincere. While the Deku mask had not shared the pain of love separated, it contained the memories of his first unwilling transformation into an alien form. Recalling the Deku princess's reaction to the sight of the mask and the butler's comments on the familiarity of it, Link had swiftly given the mask to the princess. Dread burned in his stomach still as he wondered from where Majora had stolen that mask. The Giant's mask proved worthless outside the Stone Tower. That mask had been safely hidden within the walls of the Ancient Castle of the Ikana. The only other mask he kept on his person was the Fierce Deity Mask, though like the Zora and Deku Mask it proved painful in both mind and body when used. However, he dared not part with such a dangerous mask. Of all the masks, the only one he truly wished to keep was the Goron mask. The memory of the great hero warmed Link like none of the other masks.

"Rest in peace, my friend," Link murmured softly, not moving from his solemn position. "Your people are safe now. The baby Goron sleeps peacefully. Now, you can sleep, too."

Carefully, like it was delicate crystal, Link placed the Goron mask atop Darmani's grave. It glowed softly. With a final bow, Link turned to leave.

"Wait, Hero," a deep voice rumbled.

Link paused and glanced over his shoulder. "Darmani-san!" he cried out, his voice still high-pitched due to his youth. "But I thought-"

The large spirit floated calmly over his grave. His dark eyes burned into Link's pale ones. For a moment, neither moved. Then Darmani raised his chin proudly.

"Take my mask," he urged quietly. The heavy bass in his voice carried easily, however soft the tone. "It would warm my heart knowing that I still had the power to help a hero such as yourself. Keep my mask, and use it to protect the people you meet along your journey."

One thing Link had learned during his adventures was such gifts often proved invaluable. He flashed Darmani a V-sign with one hand even as his other snatched up the mask. "Thank you very much," he said quickly, bowing again. "I'll use it well. But what will you be doing now?"

Darmani grinned. "Protecting my people, and trying to keep the baby Goron quiet. He has a set of lungs on him!"

Link almost smiled at the proud set of Darmani's shoulders. "Be well. I'll come back here, someday."

With one last bow, Link darted off towards the cliffside, where Epona awaited him at the bottom.

After Link had gone, Darmani stared bemusedly at the spot where he had stood. "He hesitated long before taking the mask," he commented to himself drolly. Then he silently faded into the mountain, heading towards his home.

~~~~~~~

Seven Years Later

"I've never seen such things before, Big Brother-"

"What a strange way to live-"

"Did you see what they were eating!-"

"They had a weird skin color, didn't they-"

"I could have done that-"

Darunia smiled warmly at the excited rumbles of the younger Gorons. King Lysander had invited the heads of the Goron, Zora, and Gerudo tribes to his castle for a week-long stay. While the official title of the talks had been very diplomatically phrased, Darunia, as well as the other leaders, knew the true purpose behind the meeting: to test Hyrule's relationship with the surrounding kingdoms.

However, Darunia did not mind the cagy intentions of his Big Brother. Nabooru, Sage of Spirit, had represented the Gerudo, and Princess Ruto, Sage of Water, had arrived in her father's stead. Throughout the week, five of the seven Sages had been able to gossip concerning the realms under their protection. Because it had been a peaceful meeting, Darunia had been able to bring along some of the younger Gorons, as well. Meeting several new species had been fascinating for them. Overall, Darunia had enjoyed the experience.

Now if only his Brother would listen to the Sage of Wisdom's prophesies....

The rocks shivered under Darunia's feet.

"Brothers, halt!" Darunia roared. Immediately, the chattering quieted around him.

"Big Brother," one began, but Darunia quickly shushed him. Eyes dark, Darunia looked around Hyrule's vast field. With the quick, strong pace of his race, Hyrule castle had been quickly left behind. Kakariko, and thus Death Mountain, loomed a short distance before them. The field itself seemed empty. Everything, including his home, seemed quiet and still. So why did the ground shake beneath him?

The answer came a breath later.

The young Gorons howled as a large, spiky boulder exploded over a small crest and flew past them. Darunia gaped at the thundering wheel. Its spikes tore through the grass, its awesome mass shaking the earth. It passed the Gorons like they were insignificant as it took off towards Lon Lon Ranch.

'Could it be, gorro?' Darunia thought, amazed. 'I have not seen one since my father was alive!'

Yet that was what it appeared to be. A powerful Goron, with enough strength to call upon the heritage of old to make itself into a lethal weapon. Darunia thought he knew all of the local Gorons, but none of them had what it took to do this!

Deaf to the startled whimpers of the younger Gorons, Darunia threw himself forward. They began to howl again when spikes exploded from his rolling body.

He had been too young to race his father. He would not lose this opportunity!

The strange Goron didn't seem to notice Darunia until he thundered to his side. Startling Darunia, the other Goron poured on more speed. Darunia hid a delighted laugh. The race was on!

Together, the two Gorons raced over the hills and slopes of Hyrule field. They circled Lon Lon Ranch like it was any other obstacle. The sparse woods at the edge of the field provided some challenge. They wove wildly through the scattered trees, circling back around to his people. By that time, they had seemingly conquered their fear of the unknown and were happily cheering.

Darunia and the stranger rolled to a stop before the young Gorons. Somewhat shakily, Darunia regained his feet. His head spun. It had been years since he had last called upon that old power. It had not been needed, and he had not been inspired to do it for fun. This stranger had honored him greatly, in more ways than one.

Shaking his head slightly, Darunia turned to look at the stranger. His dark eyes widened as he got his first good look at the other Goron. He was the most handsome Goron he had ever seen! Strong and proud, with wide shoulders and fierce eyes. Not even his mate to conceive young Link had represented such raw power.

The other Goron's eyes swept over the young Gorons before settling back on Darunia. When he spoke, Darunia was enchanted even more. "Hello," he murmured, two throaty, deep syllables. "Nice speed, gorro."

Darunia shook away the thoughts of how it would feel to carry such a Goron's child. "I am Darunia, the Big Brother of the Gorons of Death Mountain," he introduced. He continued with the names of the young, six Gorons accompanying him. "Come back with us to Death Mountain, gorro."

The other Goron seemed to hesitate a moment before deliberately nodding his head. "My name is Darmani, gorro."

~~~~~~~

"My name is Darmani, gorro," Link lied. Guilt burned within him even as the words rolled from his lips. He hated lying, but he had no idea what else to do. When he had first put on Darmani's mask upon entering Hyrule field, he had not sensed any other life on this side. The last creature he had suspected of seeing was another Goron. Now that he was meeting one, the first thought that occurred to him was Darmani's name. He dared not use his own while wearing this mask. However bad lying to Darunia felt, revealing the secret of Darmani's mask would feel far worse.

'Darunia's a Sage,' Link mused, staring into his old friend's eyes, 'but I can't tell him with these kids here.' Darunia smiled at Link, and Link smiled back, a bit disconcerted by the strange heat in the Goron's eyes. 'I'll tell him when we reach Death Mountain, and we can have some privacy.'

Darunia led the way back to his home. Link followed silently, the young Gorons rumbling behind them about the race. Darunia remained quiet, as well. Link took the time to glance around at the land he had not seen for seven years. He had returned through the forest and had immediately slipped on the Goron mask. Ever since Darmani had given him the gift, he had wondered how it would feel to race on Hyrule field as a Goron. Just as he had suspected, it had felt great, but because of that, he had not gotten the chance to truly look around Hyrule. Until Darunia learned the truth, Link was stuck looking around only this area.

Link's muscles tightened uncomfortably as he followed Darunia up the mountain. Not since Termina had he worn the mask this long. He knew he would feel horrible in the morning.

The other Gorons left Darunia and Link upon entering their home. Only then did Darunia begin speaking, noting Link's wandering eyes. He spoke of his home and history, his deep voice oddly distant, like he wasn't paying much attention to the topic. Link stared at him in concern. The Darunia he remember would have animatedly spoke of his home and family. Had the past seven years changed him? Or was it the fact that Link was different from "Darmani"? Was it Link's deeds or race that made the difference? Link frowned internally, though "Darmani's" face remained relatively cheerful.

To Link's surprise, Darunia led him straight to his chambers. He would have expected more of a tour, especially considering he was a Goron new to the area. At the very least, he would have thought Darunia would have been more cautious than to show a strange Goron where he sleeps at night.

'It doesn't matter,' Link decided. 'It's private, and I'll be able to tell him without witnesses. It'll work out.'

Stubbornly, Link dismissed that sliver of unease burning within him.

Darunia's door slid open, and Link followed him inside. Heh. Last time he had been here, Darunia had shown him his throne room. He had never seen his resting quarters before. It didn't matter. It was simply more privacy.

"Darunia," he began, turning around. Everything inside him froze as he met Darunia's eyes. Oh. Heh....Um....The naked lust answering his gaze made Link swallow nervously. How silly of him, to forget that all Gorons were male. There was no females in their race, so they reproduced with each other. How...silly...of him to forget that.... "Darunia-"

Darunia crushed his mouth with his own, and Link's eyes widened. It felt like the other man was trying to eat him. Thick arms pulled him close, a strong tongue dominated his mouth. Like a fool, Link just stood there, allowing Darunia to kiss him more and more aggressively as he sought a reaction. Link was too stunned to even blink.

'Do...all Gorons kiss like this?'

~~~~~

Darmani's mouth was so spicy. Darunia groaned at the heady taste, devouring the other Goron. So hot, so hot! Their teeth clanged together even as Darunia swiped Darmani's gums with his tongue. It was even better than the rocks served at the castle!

It took a moment before Darunia realized the other Goron wasn't responding to his advancements. His fervor fading, Darunia broke the kiss and stared at Darmani. Had he gotten the wrong impression? Had Darmani followed him to his chamber for a different reason than he had thought? Surely he had recognized the markings outside the door revealing it was a bed chamber! What else had Darmani followed him for?

Darmani answered his silent question with an equally silent movement. His strong arms arose and clutched at the sides of his face. With one smooth motion, he tore his face away, the flesh shifting into a strange mask at it left his skin. The thick body shuddered.

With each moment's passing, Darunia's horror mounted. Dark flesh paled to silky skin, black eyes now glowing blue. Darmani's handsome face now looked at him from an innocuous mask, even as another face gaped before him.

Stunned, Darunia stared into the Hero of Time's pale features. "Darunia?" Link whispered.

End Part I