InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Eternity ❯ Verisimilitude ( Chapter 21 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inu-Yasha, but I sleep with him ALLLL the time. ^_^ He's so soft and cuddly. . . ^_^

Readers: . . .

XD See? ::shows off her Inu plushie::

Author's Note: First, before anything else, I want to show you all two very insightful reviews I received last chapter. Reviews that I read and almost began crying, because they really seem to understand. ^_^ Please enjoy them.

~Such an easy solution. Yet life is never that easy is it? Inuyasha as a ghost shows us that, even through death we cannot always find escape... besides, what if Kagome moved on? What if she didn't become a ghost... still its a means to an end.

The chapter was great! I really enjoyed reading it. For a while i though Kagome really DID commit suicide, but no, that would have been too simple, and it would have ended the fic here and now... im glad it didnt end.

I'm looking forward to your next chapter... i must tell you... I LOVE THIS FIC! Until my eyes are graced with the wonder that is your writing, i bid you farewell!~

~people wanted kagome to commit suicide??!??!?!?! what the bloody hell?? are you all insane? NO! holy crap...::snort:: suicide...that would have been pathetic and weak!! but i have to say my favorite thing was sango and miroku's scene at the end. it was as if they recognized how lucky they had it, loving one another freely. it was so simplistically romantic. in a 'we've-been-married-for-50-years-and-i-still-think-he's-handsome' type of way and not a romeo and juliet way. which is much better. nice chapter~

Second, I just want to say: WAAAAAH! T_T This is already chapter 21! After this, there are only two more chapters left! T_T_T_T_T_T_T_T_T_T (But I love this fic so much. . . ! I don't want it to end! T_T) ::sighs::

Well-


One question: Someone asked what an AU is. `AU' means alternate universe. Basically, it's when the Inu-Yasha characters (or the characters from any other book) are thrown into a time or a place that they would never be in otherwise. Example: Inu-Yasha being a spirit that haunts a house that Kagome, a college student, just happens to buy. ^_~

Now: Here we go! ^_^

Please enjoy!

-

-

-

-Fragment of Eternity-

Chapter Twenty One: Verisimilitude

-

-

-

ASSIGNMENT: Read, define, and give examples of the following words. . .

"Ugh. . ."

Kagome drummed her pencil loudly against the cool surface of the wooden kitchen table, chin resting in her left palm as she stared blankly off into space; sighing. `How stupid. When will I use these words in actual conversation?! I mean, really- bimetallism? Homophobia? Polyphony? V- - -?!'

"What's up, Kagome?"

The college student gave the slightest start as she looked up in surprise, not having sensed anyone near by nor having heard anyone approach. Nonetheless, Sango stood above her, clasping two icy sodas in her hands and sporting a curious expression on her cocked face. "You look stressed. . . ?"

"Yeah," the teen grumbled, reaching out expectantly for one of the colas and snapping the top open quickly. Downing half the bottle in one gulp, she silently savored the rush of sugar-provided energy she felt course through her tired veins. "I haven't really been keeping up in my studies, what with all the stuff going on around here, so. . . God, I have a ton of homework. . ."

"It seems you've already finished quite a bit of it, though," the exterminator observed mildly, taking a small sip of her own pop as she eyed the large pile of paper-stuffed text books that had been pushed to the other side of the table. "You've got all your math don- - -"

"Don't even SPEAK of that subject," Kagome warned, glaring at her friend with baggy, sleep-deprived eyes. "I was up all night finishing it and I HATE math. DESPISE it. LOATH it with a PASSION. Wish with every FIBER of my BEING that it would BURN FOR ETERNITY in the FLAMING PITS OF HELL."

"And you're stuck on *English* homework. . . ?" Sango chuckled, arching a rather amused eyebrow.

Kagome just shrugged with a mumble and returned to the long list of words. "Not stuck, per say. . . just running low on ideas. I've gotten most of it done. . . I just need a definition and example for `verisimilitude'. Unfortunately, however, my dictionary doesn't seem to ha- - -"

"Verisimilitude: noun. The state or quality of appearing to be true."

. . .

?

Blinking up at Sango with a bewildered expression, she only grew more confused as the exorcist chuckled; sitting down in the chair next to Kag and loosely crossing her arms- resting her chin upon them with a small smile. "You deal with a lot of verisimilitude when your job revolves around youkai, oni, and spirits."

Kagome graced her friend with a tiny grin in return. "I thought you and Miroku didn't generally deal with ghosts. . . ?"

The second female shrugged nonchalantly, ruffling her employers hair in a `big sister' fashion. "I guess we do now, don't we? We can add it to the yellow pages after successfully getting rid of Inu-Yasha."

. . .

Successfully getting rid of Inu-Yasha. . .


With that single sentence, the increasingly playful mood in the room died in an instant.

Wincing at her stupidity, Sango mentally slapped herself - feeling automatically guilty for causing the depressed look that was quickly taking over Kagome's face. "Kag- I'm sorry, I didn't mean- - -"

"Sango. . ." Kagome interrupted quietly, her constantly tapping pencil slowing down until the once `taptaptaptap'ing became a `tap. . . tap. . . tap. . .

. . .' "Sango, I have a question."

A beat of silence passed over them as the exterminator glanced up from where she'd glued her eyes- the ground- and fixed Kag with a rather nonplused gaze. "Yes. . . ?"

"If you and Miroku have the power to get rid of Inu-Yasha. . ." Kag began slowly, "why haven't you done so already?"

It was Sango's turn to blink. "Kagome- we already told you. We can't do anything to make him move on- we don't have *that* power. We can only determine what is holding him back and help him let go."

"Then what is holding him back?" the girl pressed, the faintest of desperate notes in her voice.

"Well. . ." she frowned slightly, mind drifting back to her husband and his damn riddles. "We all know for a fact that Kikyo is one of those things. . ."

"Right. . ."

"As for what else- if anything else- I don't know. Why?"

Kagome visibly deflated, a brief look of disappointment flitting across her face.

"Kagome? Why?" Sango repeated, a glimmer of suspicion in her eyes. "What are- were- you trying to plan?"

"Nothing," the girl replied blankly, clutching her pencil tightly and pressing it firmly to the page of loose leaf before her. "Nothing at all. Thanks for the definition."

"Kago- - -"

"Thanks for the definition," she said a little louder, a little more forcefully as she locked her eyes on her homework and blocked out the rest of the world.

Knowing that she wouldn't get anything else out of her friend right now, Sango simply sighed and walked off; glancing frequently over her shoulder and hoping her husband, at least, knew what was going on.

-

Appearing to be true.

Appearing to be real.

Appearing to be, but not actually being so.

Inu-Yasha chuckled darkly, silently, as he discretely slipped back through the kitchen wall, never once being noticed by Kagome as she buried her face in her arms and tried to keep from crying. It didn't take a genius to know what she had been hoping: to find a way to make Kikyo disappear, along with his love for said miko, while still keeping him beside her.

The only word to describe that scenario, in Kag's mind, was verisimilitude.

But. . .

Inu-Yasha glanced to his left as he walked into the foyer, catching the eye of Miroku- who had been waiting for him there.

"Yes, monk. . . ?" he grunted coldly, stopping momentarily on the first step.

"I can sense the turmoil within you, Inu-Yasha," Miroku stated simply, turning away. "You know I am here to help. I understand more than you think."

"I'm sure you do," the hanyou muttered under his breath.

"Listen: you can only move on if you let go of everything that binds you to this Earth," the monk sighed, shifting his weight from one foot to the other. "And one thing that binds you is your torn feelings. So. . . Have you come to a decision, yet?"

"I don't want to talk about this," Inu told him bluntly, his hands fisting themselves. "I- - -"

"You haven't, have you?"

Inu-Yasha gave the smallest flinch.

"On the outside you say it is Kikyo. . . but there is more to it than that." Miroku bit his lip for a moment, eyes narrowing slightly as he tried to choose his next words. "And. . . you need to admit that to yourself before anything else can happen. You need to tell h- - -"

"I SAID I don't want to talk about this!" the ghost snapped as he stormed off, ready to lock himself in whatever room happened to be available and glower at the wall for a while. But as it was, he happened to choose Kagome's room to fume in.

And as he slammed the door shut-

He noticed he was not alone.

Kikyo stood there, pouring over Kagome's jewelry box with a small frown, her silky black hair tumbling over her shoulders as she did so.

As the slam reverberated off the walls she looked up in surprise- - -

And smiled.

"Good morning, Inu-chan," she cooed, beckoning him over with outstretched arms, love shining in her stormy azure orbs.

Verisimilitude.

-

Something wasn't right.

Kagome looked up from the dark hide-out her arms provided and towards the ceiling, sensing something odd going on above her. At risk of sounding superstitious, psychic, or stupid- she just KNEW there was someone in her bedroom. Someone who shouldn't be there.

Pushing away from the table with the slightest of squeaks, the girl got slowly to her feet with a frown. Who could it be. . . ? No one had rung the doorbell, Sango and Miroku had gone for a walk in the grove. . . Sure, it could be Inu-Yasha (probably was, judging by the loud, angry slam that had proceeded this uneasy feeling), but. . .

She just knew it was something more.

Someone more.

Could it be. . . ?

She nodded to herself, feeling dread well up in the pit of her stomach. `Duh. . . who ELSE could it be? Of COURSE it's Kikyo. I bet Inu-Yasha's happy.

But. . .

He said he knew her feelings were lies. He said he always did. Well, `always' as to the extent of `since he died'. . .

So. . .

Maybe. . .

Just maybe. . .'

She swallowed, chewing her tongue in thought for a moment before slowly slipping through the hall and up the stairs.

-

Kikyo knew something was wrong. She could tell by just looking at the hanyou before her- his eyes lacked the usual happiness that came with seeing her, his arms remained plastered to his side, his face was set like stone. What was wrong. . . ? Didn't he like seeing her, anymore?

"Inu-Yasha, what's the matter?" the miko inquired, taking a few steps forward and peering intently into his eyes. He didn't come any closer, but he didn't step away. "Is there something troubling you?"

"Yes," he replied curtly. "There is."

"Oh? What?" Kikyo questioned, suddenly reaching out to take his hands- and blinking in surprise as he batted them away.

"You."

. . .

She blinked again, wondering for a moment if she had heard him correctly. ". . . Me. . . ?"

He nodded once.

"But. . . Why. . . ?" she gaped, eyes misting over as she tried once more to take his hands in her own. Again, he resisted. "If you're brining up Naraku and I for some reason- I already told you what happened and- - -"

"No, Kikyo," Inu-Yasha interrupted, his voice slowly lowering. "You told me a lie. We both know it- knew it even then. And I. . .

I don't want to pretend anymore.

I'm tired of playing games."

A look of confusion began to cloud the ghostly maiden's face, her feet automatically taking her back a few steps. "What. . . ?" `How can he - - - ?'

"Kikyo. . ." Inu-Yasha's tongue darted out to moisten his dry lips, his eyes softening slightly at the horrified expression in her eyes. "Kikyo, Kagome read your diary. And she told me. . . well, she told me a lot of what I already knew. But. .

But I want to hear the truth from you. I want to know why. . ."

He crossed his arms over his torso, looking away as he swallowed. "If I ever want to move on with my life- death. . . I need to know why."

"M-Move on. . . ?" Kikyo echoed, her voice trembling. But it wasn't a tremble of sadness or fear-


It was a tremble of fury. "Move on- - - ?" She fell against the wall- or as close as she was able to- and closed her eyes as her molars gnashed together. "Move on so you can leave me alone?! So you can spend eternity with- with- with HER?!"

. . .

"Yes," he whispered simply.

. . .

"So. . ." Her chest moved up and down rhythmically as a small, dark laugh escaped her lips. "So it all comes to light. . ." Gray eyes snapped open and glared at him from across the room. "You never loved me. You love HER."

"Don't twist my words or try to do the same to my emotions," Inu-Yasha snarled, feeling irritation well up inside. Already she was attempting to make him feel guilty, trying to make him back down. What- What- on Earth-in Heaven, or in Hell- made her think that she earned that right? She who had lied to him- cursed him- toyed with him?!

He who had taken it, believed her, defended her. . .

He was the idiot of the pair- he always had been.

But he wouldn't be this time.

"Kikyo- tell me the truth. Just this once."

Her dark orbs narrowed in his direction, full of rage. "The truth. . ." she hissed, her voice slowly raising. "The truth. . . ?

The truth?! You can't handle the truth! Who knows what you'd do?! You- you who so stupidly killed yourself just because I left you!"

I left you. . .

Her words rung loudly in his ears as his heart suddenly fell into his stomach, making him feel ill and alone- despite already having known this. "So you really did leave me. . ."

"Of course I did," she spat, fists clenching as she lost control. "Of course I did! Naraku had so much more to offer me! He had so much more to give! You- who left me alone so often for work, you- who only appreciated the artistic side of me, you held me back." She took a deep, shaking breath. "You want the truth? Fine.

I never truly loved you."


The words pierced him like no dagger could- icy and honest.

"I may have thought I did when I was alive," she whispered, never once noticing the tugging of her soul- the odd feeling taking over her borrowed `flesh'. "But after meeting Naraku. . . and after fifty years to think it over. . . I realize now it was only a brief infatuation- lust- momentary desire, if you will." She spoke each word as if it a curse. And Inu-Yasha just stood there, letting it all sink in. Tears were beginning to pool inside Kikyo's eyes- tears due to sore memories, chances she'd lost, and a life she'd never get back- but he couldn't find any sorrow or sympathy- neither for him or his `love'.

Only numbness.

"And then. . ." the miko continued at a silent scream, "when SHE- my stupid, intrepid, PERFECT reincarnation- so rudely summoned me back to the world of the living- well, I decided to make the best of it. Make you feel happy. Because, even if I never loved you- you were someone I cared for.

At least. . .

You were.

But now I- - -!

I- - -!"

A gasp escaped her lips as her eyes suddenly widened- her body crumpling as she doubled over; coughing so hard that her whole form shook.

What the- - - ?!

Her feet were vaporizing, becoming tendrils of light pink wind and twisting towards the door. . . .

-

Kagome, who had had her ear pressed lightly to the barrier that locked her outside her room, suddenly jumped back in shock as the wood began to wiggle and shake and grow hot beneath her skin.

-

His own amber orbs widened too, shock keeping him rooted to the spot as her evanescent legs disappearing before them both.

"What's going on. . . ?" she choked out, a single tear cascading down her face. "Inu-Yasha- - - ? Why are you doing this to me?!"

"Wha- ?! I'm no- - - !"

They both realized it at once.

Kagome was near.


And Kikyo was about to leave forever because of it.

-

"Wha. . . ?" Kag began, but cut herself off with an unheard cry of horror as a pink, snake-like ribbon of light came shooting out at her, dancing around her form before sinking into her skin- slippery and cold and warm and filling.

-

"Damn that girl. . ." the miko hissed under her breath, another tear leaking down her cheek. "Damn you both!"

"Kikyo- - - !" Inu-Yasha tried to say, finally coming to his senses and reaching out for the girl. "Kikyo, I- - -!"

"SHUT UP!" she yelled as much of her little remaining soul was yanked towards Kagome as well. "Just- JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!"

-


Her body wouldn't move.

It didn't respond to her brain's cries of `run!' and `get away!'

She was paralyzed- frozen to the spot as the serpent thing continued to wrap around her body and bury itself in her flesh, settling deep inside her heart. All except one portion of it- a small chunk that glowed the dark green shade of jealous anger. That was shed by the pink being like a scale and fell through the floor like a shadowy rock.

The chain-like creature continued to force itself inside her for a moment, an odd, chanted song ringing through her ears all the while- (`A song strangely similar to the one sang while resurrecting Kikyo,' she thought weakly, her mind slowly growing blank)- - -

And then she fell unconscious, collapsing to her knees and flopping to the floor like a rag doll.

-

"Kikyo- - -!" he tried once more. "Kikyo, I- - -!"

But it was too late.

With one last breath and the closing of her eyes she completely vanished, the twisted cords of soul she left behind shooting through the walls with a crackle of light blue magic.

And then she was gone.

"-. . . I'm sorry."

He swallowed, clutching his long sleeves tightly in his hands- - -

When a sudden heaviness set in on his limbs, knocking him as momentarily senseless as if he had been buried beneath a ton of bricks.

`What the- - - ?!'

Falling to his knees and clutching his chest, he waited a moment to catch his breath. Within an instant he had been knocked senseless, breathless and was sweating up a sea- his senses reeling and his world turning slow loops.

`- - - hell. . . ?'

Shaking it off with a grunt, he tried to sort through his swirling thoughts as he got to his feet, stumbling and swaying for a moment-

Before toddling slowly, almost drunkenly, towards the door- concentrating a bit harder than usual as he passed through it.

-

"So, what now, Miroku?"

Sango's hand tightened around her husbands as they turned away from the scene they were able to watch through Kag's bedroom window. "He's ridden himself of Kikyo- yet he's still here! I thought he'd be gone after she left, but he's still perfectly fine!"

"Not quite," Miroku smiled slightly, though it seemed a little pained. "Not quite. . .

Only 2/3rd of him is still `perfectly fine'. The other third is. . ."

"Is. . . ?" Sango prompted with a frown. "Is what?"

Miroku took a deep breath before launching into a simple explanation. (Well, as simple as he could make it.) "A ghost's power is its ability to do things without touching them- psychic powers, if you will. Telekinesis and such. If a spirit looses that power by letting things go- by moving on and finishing what he should have in life- all his power disappears and- - -"

"He moves on," the exterminator finished softly, eyes widening in understanding.

"Yes," the monk nodded. "He'd move on."

. . .

"He's 1/3rd gone. . . ?"

"Only 2 more 1/3rds to go."

Sango nodded and smiled, but inside she felt numb:

`Kagome will die when she hears. . .'

It was odd-

In this house, now that Sango thought about it, everything could be classified as verisimilitude. The inhabitants. . .

The `truth'. . .

And now Kagome's life- - -

Without Inu-Yasha in it.

----

I AM SO SORRY IT'S TAKEN ME SO LONG TO UPDATE. Really, I am. And updates are going to continue to be irregular until school ends for the summer. Right now, my brothers have needed the computer for school 24/7, I've had tons of homework and outings, and there are a lot of parties that, I'm sorry, I don't want to miss. Not to mention a zillion and one other things. So. . . Just cut me a little slack, okay, and I promise to update ASAP. ^_^

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed (if you're confused- don't worry! All will be better explained later. ^_^), and hey! THANKIES TO EVERYONE WHO HAS VOTED FOR ME SO FAR IN THE ELIMINATION CONTEST! ^_^ I'm on to round two!

Speaking of which- If you haven't all ready, please go vote for my fic `Early December'? Please? (Don't worry- I'll still love you if you don't. ^_~) You can find the URL to the site on my bio. ^_^

Please R&R! Love you all! Ja ne!