InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fragment of Eternity ❯ Star Light, Star Bright ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu-Yasha. Just like last chapter. And the chapter before. And the chapter before. . .

Author's Note: Hello! ^_^ How are y'all? Good, I hope. ^_^ Many of you out of school for the summer?

Wish I was. -_- Still two more weeks to go. . . ::sigh::

Ah well. ^_^

Here's the SECOND TO LAST chapter of FoE! T_T I hope you all enjoy it!

-

-

-

-Fragment of Eternity-

Chapter Twenty Two: Star Light, Star Bright

-

-

-

It had taken a lot more energy than usual to float up to the top branches of his old cherry tree. If he had been alive, he was sure beads of sweat would have been pouring down his face and that he'd be suffering from muscular strain. As it was, he only found himself panting slightly as he toppled back against the branches, noticeably closer to the bark then the usual barrier between reality and "figments" allowed.

What was going on. . . ?

Keh.

As if he didn't know.

He closed his eyes lightly, wishing that he could feel the coolness of the winter breeze against his face. Perhaps a blast of fresh briskness would help him think. .

But, seeing as how that wasn't about to happen, he had to settle for what he usually received- nothing.

`Being dead SUCKS,' he mentally concluded, scowling darkly at the overcast sky. "REALLY sucks," he sighed out loud, pulling one knee to his chest and draping both arms over his kneecap.

"Then perhaps you should let go. . . ?"

Cue eye roll and irritation. The ghost didn't even need to look down to know who had spoken. "Miroku- go to hell."

"No. But YOU just MIGHT, if you don't shape up," the exterminator reprimanded lightly, standing beside the tree in his full winter attire- a long, black leather jacket and a pair of purple woolen mittens. Inu-Yasha vaguely noticed Sango trekking away- evidently to go talk to Kagome- dressed in her own leather jacket and pair of magenta gloves. "Why don't you just move on?"

"I don't want to," the spirit snarled, crossing his arms tightly over his chest and glaring at the tops of the forest trees. "I like it HERE."

"But why do you want to stay?" Miroku questioned, leaning casually against the trunk and staring up at the hanyou with innocent eyes. "Kikyo has already come and gone. You don't need to wait for anyone else, do you?"

. . .

Inu-Yasha grumbled something under his breath before shuffling angrily, avoiding the monk's eyes.

"Inu-Yasha. . . You must have realized it by now. By the sudden heaviness weighing down upon your spiritual body? You're already on your way to moving on. You've released the emotional rope that tied you to Kikyo- you've only go two more that bind you to this world. You HAVE to let go of them."

". . . And what if I choose not to?" he inquired coldly after a moment of silence.

"Then you will not only continue to suffer in this living hell, but you will screw things up for Kagome, too."

"How so?" Inu-Yasha barked, tearing his eyes away from the sky and gazing icily at the monk below him.

"Well, if you don't move on, how is Kagome ever to fall in love again? And how will YOU react- watching her grow old and lonely? Then, when she does die, she, too, will most likely turn into a ghost to be with you."

Miroku noticed sadly that the spirit's transparent ears had perked at those words- but his next statement shot them, and Inu-Yasha's rising hopes, down again.

"However, after spending a while with you as a ghost, her `unfinished business' would be complete and she'd move on-

And then you'd both be isolated and alone for eternity."

"Couldn't I follow?" Inu-Yasha blinked, head beginning to spin with all this new and horrific information.

"No. In order to move on with her, there are two things you have to do. And you have to do it before she dies."

Inu-Yasha fell silent. `Damn it. . .'

"You know what needs to happen," Miroku smiled sadly, rubbing his arms rapidly to create a little heat. "It's up to you to be a man and do it."

"Keh," the ghost scoffed, "what makes you think I'd even WANT to spend eternity with Kagome?!"

. . .

Miroku stared dully at the spirit in the tree.

". . . Call it a hunch," he drawled sarcastically. Clapping his hands together in an `end of conversation' sort of way, he proceeded to turn towards the front door and toddle to it through the snow. "You know what you have to do, Inu-Yasha," he repeated, "Now you just have to do it."

And then he left- but to hanyou's annoyance his words stayed:

You know what you have to do. . .

You know what you need to do. . .

`But what if I DON'T know what to do?' the spirit thought pathetically, confused and irritated beyond all comprehensible reason. `And what if I don't WANT to know?!' He grasped his snowy locks with a whining growl, tugging at them so hard his skull began to hurt.

Yes, being dead really, REALLY sucked.

-

Kagome sighed heavily as she wiggled into her favorite pair of pajamas- an extra large number made of soft blue fleece and round gray buttons. As she pulled on her thick socks and slippers in her dark bedroom, she took a moment to glance out the window at the star kissed sky. The bodies of light twinkled wisely at her, and she felt herself grow a bit jealous.

She wished she was wise. . .

Then maybe- maybe she would know. . .

. . .

She didn't know what to do anymore.

She just DIDN'T know.

And, as if to replace her lacking knowledge; frustration, sadness, anger, and confusion had decided to use her soul as a melting pot and fill the space common sense and brains usual resided. She felt as if she was falling apart- piece by piece- as she slowly pressed her forehead against the cool glass window, sinking down to her knees. Tears were began welling up in the corners of her eyes yet again, and she began to grow irritated at herself.

"God, Kagome," she hissed. "When has CRYING ever done you any good?! For once, girl- do something BESIDES cry! ANYTHING would be more useful!"

And that's when she suddenly saw it- a shining-diamond fly across the heavens-

A falling star.

. . .

`. . . Well. . .


I did say `anything'. . .'

A joyless giggle escaped her lips as she thought back to a few months ago, when she would have scoffed at what she was about to do:

"Star light. . .

Star bright. . .

First star I see tonight. . .

I wish I may, and I wish I might,


To have the wish I wish tonight. . ." she whispered, eyes closing lightly as her hands slowly pealed themselves off the window and clasped together as if in prayer. A single tear trickled through her glossy lashes and fell down her pale cheek.


"Please. . . help me.


I don't want to let Inu-Yasha go. I want to keep him beside me forever- I want him to be real!" she choked, brow furrowing as her hands tightened upon each other. "But. . .

But at the same time, I know that he has to move on. It's not right that he clings like he does. It's not healthy. It's hell. And he doesn't deserve hell. He may not be all that nice- granted, sometimes he can be a real jerk. And perhaps he's not really an asset to mankind, but I know at least a few people truly love him. And true, he's got a temper that would fry an egg. But. . . I know this isn't the afterlife the gods had in mind of him- I know it can't be- and I want the very best for him."

She paused for a moment, thinking over what she just said. A small, sad smile took over her lips.

"I want the very best for him. . ." she repeated softly. "That's right. . . But not completely true.


What I really want is to be able to wake up each morning with him by my side. . . To live with him in this stupid little house forever- to forget his past and make a future for ourselves!

. . . But I know that won't happen. And, as I said, I want the best for him.

So instead. . .

I want to be able to go to bed each night and know that he's watching over me. Know that he's keeping me safe. Know that he's always there for me- even if he's just out of reach.

I want him to be able to let go, and move on.

And. . ."

She swallowed, licking her dry lips.

"He knows I love him.

I want to know how he feels for me. That's all."

Her eyes fluttered open after a moment of deep breathing. "I know this is a lot to ask, but. . . please. . . ?

. . .

Star light,


Star bright,

First star I saw tonight

I wished I may, with all my might- - - !

Please show me what to do- what's right."

With that she got to her feet and flexed her sore knees. Stretching with a yawn she slowly crawled into her downy bed, noticing with a tired, half-grin that one of the stars seemed to be winking at her, shining a little more brightly then before.

"Cliché. . ." she giggled as her head hit the pillow. "But nice all the same. . ."

With that, she rolled upon her back, took a deep breath, and called out:

"All right. You can come in now, Inu-Yasha. I'm done."

. . .

Inu-Yasha's head poked through the door- the faintest of guilty glitters in his eyes as he floated heavily over to the side of Kagome's bed. Sitting down and crossing his legs, he stuffed his fists in his oversized red sleeves and locked gazes with the college student.

Though she was obviously tired, she seemed totally alert.

"How do you do that? I'M supposed to be the one with the senses of a youkai," he grumbled, pouting that she had now caught him watching her twice.

She didn't reply, only grinned sleepily.

. . .

"So. . ." he then ventured quietly, still never tearing his eyes from the teen before him. It was as if he was afraid that she would disappear if he looked elsewhere. "So you want. . ."

"The best for you." She stretched on her mattress, though she never broke their gaze, either. "That's all."

. . .

He said nothing more so she fell silent as well, eventually dropping off into a dreamless sleep.

Inu-Yasha, however, stayed awake- his eyes still on Kag but his mind in all different directions.

`She only wants the best for me. . .

She wants me to move on because she wants the best.

But. . .

How could it be `the best' without her near by. . . ?'

He blinked.

`Wait. . .

Without her near by- - - ?

When did I- - - ?

I mean. . .

No, I don't. . .

I can't!

I must not. . .

. . .

But I think I have. . .

When did that happen?'

He shook his head, appalled at himself- but at the same time slightly amused. How could he have never noticed- - - ? Was he a bigger fool than even the others assumed?

Maybe he had known it all along and had just refused to acknowledge the emotion?


Or perhaps he only realized it when she bluntly told the heavens her deepest desires- and he found he wished the same.

But whatever the case. . .

With a hesitant hand he began lightly outlined Kag's face- noting how their `skin' contrasted so drastically- and feeling his heart break every time his fingers got too close- accidentally brushing through her flesh. "When did I. . . ?" he murmured to the sleeping girl, but cut himself off with a humorless chuckle.

`It doesn't matter.

But all the same. . .

I'm in love with you, Kagome. . .

I love you.'

And with that precious thought-

His world came crashing down once more.

The only thing he could grasp as gravity pulled forcefully on his body and the room spun out of control around him was Miroku's voice from somewhere in his mind. . .

`Only 1/3rd more to go. . .'

What would he do now?

---

As you all know, the next chapter is the last! T_T ::sob sob::

However, before I post it (or write it, for that matter), I'm going to write up the prologue for my next chapter fic. Ergo, it might take a little longer than usual to get the last chappie up- even when considering all my homework and parties and crap. So. . . gomen ne! ^_^;;;

I hope you liked this chapter! (Sorry it was kind of short- the next chapter is gonna be long though, I promise!) Please R&R!

Ja ne!