InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fade and Flare ❯ Chapter 1 - Dinner Date ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

[HI. Before you start reading please note again that this story is rated M.

It's a story starring adults. Sometimes adults have sex. The sex isn't explicit here, but I got a complaint about M-rated content (?) in this story, and... guys, it's not like I rated the story M for fun. Come on, now.

All the explicit content's on MediaMiner (link is in my profile).]

Inuyasha is copyrighted by Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan, Yomiuri Terebi, and Sunrise 2000. No ownership is claimed.

Fade & Flare

Chapter 1

If she paid too much attention to them her legs would give out, but Kagome was used to this, underneath bright hot stage lights. In defiance to her fatigue, Kagome's voice shot cleanly across a rowdy stadium, while she shook to the beat of the music. The audience had choreographed moves to her songs— claps in certain verses, glow sticks swirling in time at every chorus, and when she sang the word, "jump!" they did, she didn't even have to ask. She answered with her own choreography, which tightened and intensified in the outro to her song.

With a final spin, she sank to the ground, legs burning as she released them. Cheers and applause rained hard, and Kagame's shoulders sank and rose smoothly with her heavy breathing. She shot a glance to her dancers, and two moved to either side of the pop star. Kagome's left, and right hands were grabbed, and as if on purpose, they pulled Kagome up, hands raised in the air, and the audience's cheering intensified.

"Thank you! Good night everyone!" Her dancers walked her off stage, and the sound of the cheering softened as they approached her dressing room. In place of the audience cheering was the clapping of the stage crew. With strands of inky hair clinging to her face and exposed skin, she returned the clapping with her own. "Otsukaresama deshita! You must be tired! Great job, everyone!" She bowed to everyone as she moved down a corridor, and thanked her dancers for helping her.

When she closed her dressing room door behind her, Kagome couldn't help the thin smile that spread across her lips when she found an elaborate arrangement of sterling silver roses at her dressing table. Everything went black when a towel was clapped across her face, and she was disoriented, sinking to the ground until a splash of platinum hair hit her face. She was herded to a chair.

A shaky finger pointed to the roses. "Ooh, you got the expensive ones. What's the occasion?"

"Keh! Are ya' new here or something? Hi, I'm your manager. Nice job on Monochrome Android, by the way. You didn't go flat."

"You're oddly impressed tonight, aren't you?" Kagome closed her eyes, smelling her roses. "I got the expensive white roses, and not the average ones!"

"I am average impressed, just like always. You got the average reward for breaking your ass, same as every concert night."

"My ass is still good, it can still work," she replied, resting her head on the table. "...And these things are expensive, don't think I don't know." Inuyasha picked up a hairbrush and started on his companion's hair.

"Don't act like I care. Wait 'till your American debut... you'll blow those people away with all five of the instruments you play. I'll make sure you swim in these roses." His topaz eyes squinted as he inspected the tips of her hair, brushing at them. "We'll introduce those people to real music royalty— nothing is as prized as an English-fluent singer-songwriter, that's all I'm saying."

"She's already a princess to me."

"Hojo!" Kagome sat up as her boyfriend entered the room.

"Inuyasha-san, Kagome." A man with bright eyes and short brown hair bent to kiss his girlfriend softly on the cheek. She laughed, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Don't mind me, I'll leave you kids alone," chuckled Inuyasha. He started for the door but was stopped.

"Don't worry about it." Hojo bent to drop another kiss, this time on Kagome's lips. Inuyasha felt the room drop a degree, eyes suddenly moving to Kagome. "I have to go, we're not done shooting."

"What? Hojo, we were supposed to go out tonight, weren't we?" The young woman grabbed his pant leg, pulling him closer. She pouted up at him, already dreading the impending look on her manager's face.

"I'm sorry Kagome, please forgive me." Hojo brought his hands to Kagome's shoulders. "Inuyasha, I know what you're going to say, but you and Kagome of all people understand how important work is." He turned to Kagome and kissed her hands. "I promise you, I'm going to make this up to you, okay? I always do." She nodded.

Inuyasha chuckled, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, that's why I gotta take care of my client, here. Ya' think this shit doesn't stress her out?"

"Inuyasha, it's fine, I'm fine." Kagome tossed a rose petal at her manager, and Hojo made for the door.

"I'll call you, okay Kagome? After shooting. We'll hit Orion."

"Just go home and sleep, because I think I'm gonna be out pretty soon... now that I'm off the hook."

"Good, that's good. Love you." Hojo closed the door behind him.

Slumping hard, sinking down onto her dressing table, Kagome yawned. "I'm gonna clean up real quick. So we can get out of here..."

"Sure you are," Inuyasha replied. "I'm gonna get a snack, in case they didn't clear the food away yet." He watched her nod, already noticing that she was drifting off.

She woke to darkness, her favorite wool coat draped over her, and the hum of an engine. Blinking a few times to get oriented with her surroundings, Kagome realized that she was in the passenger seat of Inuyasha's Porsche. Kagome shifted, turning to face Inuyasha as he drove.

"Where are we going?" She buried her head back into the seat, yawning a bit.

"My place. Early tomorrow is the sound check and rehearsal, and we need to get you into a bed ASAP—"

"I need to go home, I want a change of clothes, Inuyasha."

He smirked, moving his hand off the shifter briefly to rub Kagome's head. "—And as I was saying, after the concert we leave for Osaka that night. Don't worry, I sent Shippou and Sango over to your place for your favorite travel things."

Kagome shifted in her sea again, turning to look out the window. Her eyes fixated on the power lines overhead, stars blurring behind them across the sky in a calm stream of light. Absently, she twirled a strand of hair around her finger and hummed quietly while Inuyasha changed lanes in the empty streets.

"Are my pajamas still at your house...?"

Inuyasha smirked again. "It's not like I sold them." Kagome rolled her eyes. "And you're probably gonna wanna go out with Hojo, right? Sango's bringing your white sundress— that Chanel one."

"How'd you know?" She fixated her companion, eyes drawn to the spots of reflected moonlight in his hair, and softened features. For a moment he seemed as gentle as the moonlight that blurred his face, and Kagome grinned, her annoyance fading as she watched his eyes.

"You just... you have no idea how hot he is for those new white dresses. His heart beats faster when you're in white. If you didn't have a new one I bet Sango would have like five lined up for you somewhere."

Her annoyance stopped fading. "Invade people's privacy much? Do all youkai go around listening to people's heartbeats? Can you tell if I'm sick by listening to my pulse, too?"

"Bite me, Kagome, ya' think I like the boy's little palpitations echoing through my fucking head? And yes, I probably could."

"What if I didn't feel like wearing white this time? Don't I have a say in what I wear on my own dates?" She bounced a crumpled gum wrapper off of her manager's face, and watched him scowl.

"Hey, I'm driving."

Kagome stuck her tongue out, taking a fresh piece of gum. Once more she tossed its wrapper, and Inuyasha's eyes gleamed sadistically. That was all she noticed, because immediately after he swerved to the side of the road, put the car in park, removing his seat belt to lean intimidatingly over her. She gulped, laughing nervously. Inuyasha's grin stretched sharply across his face, and his movements were quick; he restrained and tickled her.

"Inuyasha! Stop, eep, no, nooooo!" She erupted into a fit of screeching, trying pathetically to wriggle from Inuyasha's grasp. Laughing and screaming, she kicked wildly while her manager showed no mercy.

"Freeze! What are you doing to that girl?" A light was shined into the passenger's window over the both of them. Outside stood a pair of police officers, coming from the neighborhood kouban. "Is that... is that Higurashi Kagome? Get out of the car, boy, you're going to jail!"

Inuyasha blinked. Kagome pushed him off of her, sitting up to speak. "I think this is a misunderstanding," she laughed.

"Do you think it's okay, Inuyasha?"

"Keh. I'm telling you, the dress is hot." Inuyasha looked annoyed as he raised his gaze from his book. "If you're gonna whine about it just to hear how hot you look five more times, don't bother."

"Don't worry Kagome-chan, you look stunning!" Kagome's raven haired stylist folded her arms, and stuck one hip out while scrutinizing, and finally moved to center Kagome's diamond necklace between her collar bones. A white strapless dress complimented the cluster of diamonds hanging from its delicate platinum chain, pointing down to the hint of cleavage that the dress created. Inuyasha stole a glance at the cascading hem of Kagome's dress, moving with the swirling chiffon and silk that swished around Kagome's legs when she walked. Her warm skin looked richer against the white fabric.

"You think so, Sango-chan? Inuyasha? Really?" Inuyasha knocked himself violently out of his thoughts, slightly frustrated for reasons he wasn't sure of.

"Yes—" started Sango, but Inuyasha growled and stood, tossing his book to the floor.

"Damn it, stay here." Inuyasha stormed out of the room and returned with a small, black velvet box. He tossed it at Kagome and returned to his chair. "That's for you, keep it. I was gonna give it to my ex, but... well, she became my ex."

Sango raised a questioning e yebrow. "Wait, is that the thing you begged me to pick up for you a couple of months ago?"

Kagome blinked, opening the box. Her breath caught in her throat as she fingered a diamond tennis bracelet. "Keep this? It's mine? Inuyasha, I can't, this isn't a casual gift..."

Sango took the bracelet, fastening it around Kagome's wrist. Kagome winced, recalling how a couple of months ago she was snooping a little too much, asking other staff members questions, hearing fragments of phone conversations, having pieced together that the two were pretty serious. Even then she mourned for the couple, knowing just how wrapped up in work he was. She meant to leave things at that, until one August night that Inuyasha showed up at her doorstep, claiming to be "in the neighborhood." He'd looked as if he was crying for hours.

"Kagome," he sighed. "It looks better on you than me. Keep it." That was that.

She laughed in response. "Well, thank you. I feel like this outfit is perfect now." Draping a long, snow colored silk scarf over her neck, she snatched up her purse and headed for the waiting car outside.

Inuyasha waved goodbye, and did so to Sango as she left with some dry cleaning. He retreated back to his study, where he'd spent most of the day. The floor was lined with thick, gray plush carpeting, against walls that were lined with maple bookcases. A leather couch, recliner, and a glass and steel desk all sat in the space, and something about all of those neutral colors calmed him while he slumped down into the recliner. What didn't calm him was the ringing phone. With an exasperated grunt Inuyasha stood, spiking his book into the chair before answering.

"Miroku."

"Inuyasha, how are you this fine afternoon? I've got something sweet..."

"I know, you always do. Give me a second, the fuckin' computer's off." Inuyasha moved to the desk.

Miroku's calm laugh brushed through the speaker. "You still pretending to like that steel monstrosity because it matches your decor?"

"Lay off," Inuyasha growled, tapping a claw on his desk. "I'm getting used to it."

"...right. Well, it's none of my business that you care so much about color swatches."

He didn't... well, he really didn't at first. Inuyasha growled in response. He'd take it to his grave that Kagome decorated his house for him. "Just shut up and give me the details..."

"As you wish," Miroku laughed again.

"I'm very sorry to bother you, but my daughter is a big fan and it's her birthday..."

Kagome smiled warmly. She ignored the slight irritation, remembering what it was like to be a fan. There was no career without them. "It's lucky that you had my CD with you!" She took the album booklet and pen from the short, middle-aged man. "What is her name?"

"Eriko." He snatched the pen away for a moment, bowing a little in apology before testing it on his hand. Satisfied, he gave the pen back.

With a courteous smile, she murmured the words as she wrote. "To Eriko: Happy birthday! Love, Higurashi Kagome." Kagome slipped the CD booklet back into its case and bowed a little as she handed it back. "Thank her for me, please?"

"No, thank you!" The man bowed, a little flustered and unable to hide the grin on his face, and Kagome gave another short bow before entering the car. She watched the man bow again, as the car pulled away.

"That dude is bowing like you just saved his life," laughed Shippou, one of Inuyasha's assistants. "Like, I bet he goes home every day to some teenage girl who only talks to him to ask for money, but tonight he's actually gonna get to hug his kid!" Though she knew youkai had a good sense for people, Kagome shook her head a little.

"Honestly, I'd prefer that he was excited maybe because his family doesn't have a ton of money, but has a lot of love, so when otou-san comes home with an autographed CD, little Eriko is incredibly moved."

"You want their family to be in poverty?" Shippou grinned.

"No! No, I just want their family to be together! And loving," laughed Kagome, staring longingly back at the restaurant. "Hey, wouldn't it be terrible if he mixed me up for some other pop star, and brought back the wrong CD for her birthday?" She gave a short laugh, feeling a little tired of smiling. "All of that effort would be so disappointing. Wasted." She eyed the bracelet Inuyasha had given her only an hour ago, and sighed in the direction of the restaurant once more.

Shippou put a hand on her shoulder. "Hey, you know, if I were you? At the restaurant? I would have at least eaten dinner." The young fox youkai moved smoothly into another lane. "The food there rocks so much."

"Sorry, Shippou. I should have had you eat dinner with me, instead. Or boxed it up for you. I shouldn't have wasted it." Kagome reached for the small pillow Shippou always brought for her, curling up with it against the window. "I was just too distracted after Hojo left so suddenly."

"Who the hell botches an entire production's worth of footage just like that? Someone's gonna get fired, big-time."

"I know, I know," Kagome muttered. "But that's... it's just life." A couple of tears escaped the corner of her eye. Kagome exhaled, laughing quietly to herself.

"You're allowed to miss him, it doesn't matter what job you guys have." Shippou honked in thanks to a driver who let him change lanes. "I have half a mind to go down to the studio and kick some ass."

Kagome sniffled. "I love you, Shippou. Can you just drop me off at Inuyasha's house? I got a couple of text messages about work."

"I was gonna anyway, since we're leaving for Osaka late tonight."

"Of course," Kagome groaned. Today's brief break was over and tomorrow would be a return to the rhythm of morning rehearsals, sound checks, stage cues, and screaming fans. The thrill of it all hadn't yet dulled, but it didn't mean she missed having a person to come home to every night. A phone call would have to do. A phone call itself was sometimes difficult.

I just want to see him... Absentmindedly Kagome reached into her purse, running her fingertips across the smooth plastic of her cell phone.

Inuyasha had managed to make a nice indentation in his leather recliner, once he got off the phone with Miroku. He'd long since given up on his book and laid back, taking in the view of the clouds through this room's skylight. It was a rare moment of quiet. Cottony strands of white strayed lazily across a deep evening blue in a silent lullaby. The light would be gone soon. That rich blue reflected off the chrome and glass, illuminating the room with flecks of light. Starting to drift, he could swear he was underwater.

She's good.Inuyasha smiled, stretching, and filing this moment into his mind. If he could awe Kagome like this one day, he would. She knew what home was to him— knew it so innately, and he didn't want the sun to move and shatter this moment she'd given him. HIs eyelids drooped.

The wind whirred, no, that wasn't the wind. The youkai's ear's perked up; there was something familiar about that engine. The sound grew steadily and stopped outside of the house. With a sigh, Inuyasha dragged his body out of the recliner, stalking out towards the entryway, nearly intent on strangling whatever distraction this was going to be. Before he could reach the front door, it opened.

Kagome entered, clutching her purse and scarf together. Shippou followed, closing the door behind her, bending to unfasten the clasps in Kagome's shoes. She smiled, a watery thanks, and Inuyasha stomped to the edge of the entryway, folding his harms. Kagome was avoiding his gaze; it was obvious what happened.

"On a good day it takes forty minutes to get to Chez Mari's, and you haven't even been gone two hours. Don't you fucking tell me..."

"Bastard had to go back and reshoot. Left her there with the food," Shippou started, but Kagome sent a swift elbow to his ribs.

"He can't help that, it's fine." She located her house slippers, and Shippou turned for the exit.

Inuyasha's nose twitched.

"Sorry, I know. I'll see you two later, okay?" With a wave, he exited.

As Kagome started to shift her feet into the slippers, Inuyasha grabbed her shoulders abruptly. The young woman gasped, barely shuffling her feet into them as she stumbled forward. "Inuyasha! What are you dong?"

"Ssh." Inuyasha's hand slid up to cup Kagome's cheeks. He ran his eyes over her face. Kagome reflexively averted her gaze to the side, absentmindedly dropping the purse and scarf. She slowly flushed as Inuyasha's thumb brushed across her cheeks. Suddenly aware of her heaving chest, and the slight tremble in her hands, Kagome steeled herself, raising her gaze once more.

It met Inuyasha's... nostrils. Which were at eye-level, flaring as he sniffed. Kagome exhaled. "Hey. What are you doing?"

"You've been crying." Inuyasha finished his investigation with a loud sniff and then backed away to glare at Kagome. "He did this to you again."

"It's not like—"

"This is getting fucking ridiculous. I know he's got a job too, but he shouldn't even try to make plans with you if he expects this to happen! How come you have to jump through a damned hoop on a concert day to see him?" Inuyasha raised his hands, exasperated, and spun until his back was towards Kagome. She watched his long hair float back down around his shoulders as he walked.

"I honestly don't know if you even understand the concept of wanting to be near someone you love! When have you ever—" Kagome glanced at the bracelet and stopped talking, immediately.

Without any surprise to her, Inuyasha broke his stride and turned. Suddenly fearful, the dark-haired girl panicked, eyes searching wildly around the room for an excuse to get away. They fell on her purse and scarf laying on the floor. Before Kagome could bend to pick them up her manager's feet came into view, stopping inches short of her own. She straightened, still holding her gaze at her feet. "I'm sorry Inuyasha, I didn't mean to... I wasn't trying to be malicious..." This week was such an excellent week in Tokyo, with flawless concerts and great reviews, and here she was feeling horrible. You idiot, you spoiled brat, you whiny little..."

The tears came immediately after Kagome's mental protests and she tried hard not to acknowledge them. She balled her fists, rubbing furiously at her eyes. A clawed hand gently pushed her own away, while another brought a handkerchief up to dab at her cheeks.

"Just shut up already." Inuyasha soothed her with his smooth voice. Giving her his handkerchief, he pulled her into his arms. "Come on. Let everything out." His cheeks burned as he felt her small form stiffen at first, but finally relax against his chest. Her beating heart echoed in his ears until a sob finally escaped. It took a few slight tremors to make Inuyasha realize that Kagome was still holding back.

"You're safe here, and ya' don't have to do that." His grip around her tightened. He was answered with deep inhaling and slow exhaling.

"Dammit, didn't I just say you don't have to hold it back?" He pulled her into one arm, running his free hand over her arm reassuringly. His eyes never left hers as they lowered, and she finally buried her face into his body, sobbing freely. Her bare shoulders shook with every breath and she grasped for his shirt with her own free hand, clinging to his shirt. With a small shake of his head, Inuyasha tossed his hair out of the way, and his gaze fixated on the bracelet hanging from Kagome's wrist. A familiar knot twisted in his stomach. He did his best to ignore it.

"I'm... sorry... don't deserve to complain..." Kagome whimpered.

Anger bubbled inside of him at that, just a little, and he gathered her in his arms, hands pressing into her back as he nudged her to look up at him. "You get to have feelings. Now let's wait for Sango to come back before we head out tonight."

"Right," Kagome sniffled, blushing up at him.

"Wanna eat something?" Inuyasha said a little louder. "I can't promise you I cook as well as they do over at Chez Mario but I guarantee it's edible." Releasing Kagome, he turned towards the kitchen and looked back at her. She wiped at her face, one last time.

"As long as it's not instant Ramen!"

"...Of course," he stammered.

Notes:

This is a rewrite of Chapter 1, which was originally written in 2004. I didn't want to change it too dramatically, and I don't plan to rewrite the other chapters, but there was just too much that bugged me about this chapter and I wanted to clean things up.

If you're new to this story, note how old it is, and note that in the twelve years that this story has been up a TON of things about technology and culture have changed, but assume that this story takes place around 2003 or so and please ignore the points where I subtly try to update technology (when applicable) and other things to be current. Hahaha.

Also, if you're new to this I have a web site with art I've drawn for this story, explanations about the Japanese cultural stuff/celebrities that appear in most chapters, and there's also a soundtrack (come on, it's about a pop star. There's gotta be music!). you can visit it at: pinku dot net slash fadeflare (UGH, address removal!)

To MediaMiner readers: SORRY for all the notices, my formatting for this story got wrecked over and over!