InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fade and Flare ❯ Chapter 2

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Damn it Kagome, I already told you I had it packed."

"Are you sure? The Yves Saint Laurent gown from this year's Kouhaku performance? The halter one, not the mini."

Inuyasha sighed, signaling before turning a sharp left. "I'm SURE, because I saw hell the last time I forgot to pack one of your dresses." With a smirk he exhaled and ruffled Kagome's bangs. "I sent it with Sango when she took your other things to the bus, okay?"

Kagome leaned back into the passenger seat of Inuyasha's black Porsche. Nosing into the soft black leather she inhaled deeply; she loved the scent. As the car slowed to a stop at an intersection Kagome blinked up at Inuyasha, raising her finger to tap his nose. "Thanks." Her thin smile stretched delicately across her face as she brought her hand back down; she was always grateful for his help and wanted to show it.

"You... you're welcome." A subtle blush crept out from under silver bangs, and Inuyasha shifted gears before stepping on the gas pedal once more.  


Her slippered feet padded across a beige plush rug. She didn't want to turn on the light just in case Inuyasha was asleep. Underneath fragments of moonlight shining in from between the blinds on the window Kagome crept in the narrow hallway of the tour bus to the next room, adjusting her short, white, silk nightgown. The bus' engine hummed softly, its sound slowly being drowned out as she reached Inuyasha. In a chestnut-colored leather chair he was slumped to one side with a book laying on his lap. A radio murmured in the background and the television was also on but muted, bathing the room in a dull blue light. Ridiculous as usual, Kagome mused. Hoping not to wake him she stepped out of her slippers before entering the room and reached over to Inuyasha's bed, removing the blanket and draping it lightly over his sleeping form.

Kagome was slightly disappointed that she didn't have anyone to talk to; she couldn't sleep. Hojo's cell phone was probably turned off for the night. He was working anyway tonight, so there was no hope of calling him. She didn't hold it against him, nor did she hold it against Inuyasha that he was asleep. Just by being in his presence she felt secure; possibly in the same way that turning on the television often abated Inuyasha's loneliness. Reaching for the television's power button, Kagome pressed it and smiled over Inuyasha until she heard a familiar voice on the radio.

Welcome back to All Night Nippon! This is Hojo, how do you do?

"Hojo!" Kagome gasped. She hovered over Inuyasha's chair, listening intently.

This is FukuyamaMasaharu, and tonight my guest is television and movie star Hojo! So just as I mentioned before the break I'm envious of you, you've been dating one of the sexiest women I've ever laid eyes on. There was an awkward pause. Whoops, that's a little forward, do you think she'll hear that? Is she listening right now?

I know she's not awake right now. She's on a tour bus to Osaka

Ah, that's right. Wow, her tour's been sold out weeks in advance at every venue so far, isn't that right?. I have to say once more that while I usually envy no man, I have to hand it to you--

--she's really something, isn't she, Fukuyama-san?

God, yes! There was brief silence. Hojo-san... come here. A sudden change of tone made Kagome raise an eyebrow.

What? Hey! Fukuyama-san, what are you doing--

Kagome blinked.

If I kiss you, it'll be like an indirect kiss with her. Now, pucker up!

A-are you serious! Oh no, you ARE. Aaaa, help me, somebody! There were sounds of shuffling and perhaps a struggle. Kagome tried in vain to stifle her giggling as the pair muttered incoherently for a few seconds during their scuffle.

But Higurashi-san is taken, so I don't have any hopes of kissing her!

I'm taken, too! Another pause.

You're absolutely correct. Sorry, Hojo-san. Forgot myself for a minute. I envy... no man. Especially now, because I am beginning to recall that you may be in some hot water? You mentioned earlier that you treated her badly?

Yes, I'm a total jerk because we were supposed to get together and I had to cancel twice!

Twice? Boo! Hey, Hojo-san, that's no way to treat Higurashi Kagome, or ANY girlfriend! Guys, don't follow his example--

It was because of the upcoming drama I'm starring in! We're still shooting right now, but it's going to be on NHK this spring so please don't miss it; it's called Just Before the Shot. Don't make Kagome's suffering be in vain, everyone. Please watch it! Kagome-chan, I love you, I'm sorry!

Ha ha ha ha, that's the best advertisement for a drama I've ever seen! I'll be sure to watch.

Don't kid with me Fukuyama-san, I know you were already a fan of the original manga so...

Kagome sighed. With a soft pat on her manager's head she turned, heading back to the bedroom from which she came. The chatter of Hojo and Fukuyama's voices echoed through the darkened hall as she moved back to her room, hands pressed against either wall to steady her while the bus moved.

Without closing the door behind her she kicked her slippers off into the hallway, turning swiftly towards her bed. She fell face-down on top of her comforter, allowing the full force of her weight to fall with a soft bounce. Kagome felt the vibration from the bus' engine through the mattress, hoping that it, along with the murmur of Hojo's distant voice would lull her to sleep.

She never asked it of him, but Hojo was always diligent in telling her about the newest jobs he landed. Why hadn't Hojo at least mentioned where he would be tonight? Such abrupt behavior was uncharacteristic of him. For once, Kagome felt bad for taking Hojo's openness for granted. All Night Nippon was a radio show that any fledgling star dreamed of being a guest on, Kagome and Hojo included. There were many nights when the couple had stayed up listening to it over late night candlelit dinners of instant ramen and Ebisu beer after a long day of rehearsals or auditions. Even back when Beat Takeshi hosted the show in the eighties a preteen Kagome and Hojo listened to it while on the phone together, giggling at its adult topics and swearing to their parents that they were busy studying.

Maybe he just wanted me to get some rest. Kagome rolled onto one side, clutching a portion of her comforter as if it were a doll. With a sigh, she reached towards the charging cell phone resting on a nearby pillow, running a fingertip softly across its glittery white surface almost as if it were Hojo. As if he would somehow feel her presence if she concentrated enough. Kagome heaved a lonely sigh, reaching absently for a pillow to hug. She could at least leave him a message. She grabbed the phone, flipping it open with her thumb and then pressing his number on speed dial.

Kagome mouthed the words of his message as it played: You... you called! I feel so loved; I promise to get back to you. Wait for the beep!

"Darliiiing," Kagome whispered. "You're still on the radio right now. I listened for a little bit. Now as I lay here in that absolutely tiny nightgown you bought me... you know, the one with the super-thin straps and the little lace frills? I'll have your voice running through my head. Here's a little indirect kiss of my own: chu! Good night." Plastic clapped together as she hung up the phone, her sigh mingling with an exhale. Having left the message made her feel a little bit better.

She tried her best to smile and think happy thoughts; she was going to Osaka, after all! Despite people's general views that Osaka was an ugly, industrial city with nothing to do and see Kagome disagreed. She loved it and always looked forward to going there. Food and shopping were both cheaper, and the people were friendlier there in comparison to sterile, suffocating, and materialistic Tokyo. It was also a hop away from another one of her favorite cities, Kyoto. When she expressed her general love for these cities in the Kansai region on television, other celebrities poked a little bit of fun at her. Paired with the fact that Kagome's childhood home was a Shinto temple, Kagome was given the nickname, Kansai no Miko-- Priestess of Kansai. She didn't mind the distinction.

Kagome rolled to one side of her bed, reaching into her purse. Digging into it and unzipping a small pocket she retrieved a silver charm bracelet, adorned with a couple of skulls and foreign letters, h and t. Slipping it back on for old time's sake a goofy smile spread across her face. She would never publicly let on about one of her favorite reasons to go to Osaka...  


It seemed as if it were decades ago when Kagome had skipped school and hopped a train to Osaka. Mondays were perfect for her to get away without being noticed-- she had after-school clubs and cram school, not returning until late at night. Leaving Tokyo would still get her home a lot later than usual but Kagome was banking on the fact that her mother and grandfather would stick to their routine of retiring in their rooms for the night before she returned home, putting her in the clear.

Kagome would not have gone to Osaka in September of 1998 if not for the fact that her favorite band, L'Arc-en-Ciel, had a tour date there. She became frantic as she learned that their Tokyo dates were sold out only seconds before she was able to get through to the ticket vendor's phone, which was ringing off the hook on multiple lines. Osaka was the next best thing and she jumped for it-- the ticket was a floor seat thirty-three rows back, but it was all she could afford. At least she would be there.

As Kagome left the train station she studied the map she brought with her, rushing on foot to Osaka-jo Hall. It was already well past time for seating to begin and she regretted not bringing another outfit other than the school uniform she was wearing. In hindsight she would have worn a band t-shirt under her school clothes; maybe a pair of cutoff shorts underneath the long skirt of her uniform too, but it was too late to worry. Her footsteps quickened. As she finally reached a riverside walkway in front of the concert hall she noticed a middle-aged couple searching the ground around their feet. Inwardly Kagome flinched-- she was so late! Despite the urgency she couldn't avoid their troubled looks as they spun around again and again, faces scanning the asphalt and dirt below. Her grandfather's upbringing showed during times like this.

"He'll be so disappointed if we don't show up! This is an important night, Dear."

"I realize that… But I think it'll be okay if we just show our IDs."

"Well, it couldn't have gone far."

"Um, excuse me," Kagome interrupted. She bowed slightly, one hand behind her head. "Can I help in some way? Did you drop something?"

The couple looked at Kagome for a second, a little surprised but grateful. The wife spoke. "Sorry to bother you… you seem to be in a hurry, too. I'll be brief. It's a blue laminated badge on a beaded chain… it must be in these plants here, somewhere…" Kagome couldn't help but stare; the woman couldn't have been any older than in her late fourties but her face was unusually vibrant and pretty. Kagome shook herself out of her thoughts.

"Right." Kagome inwardly kicked herself, anguished for failing to simply mind her own business. She dropped to her knees, scanning the ground with her eyes and fingertips. A gleam of metal at the edge of the walkway caught her eye. Sure enough, a beaded chain was hanging off of the bottom of the railing, in danger of falling into the river. Kagome retrieved it, squealing victoriously. The high school student fleetingly noted that the logo on the badge was quite trendy-looking as she smiled at the older woman.

The woman blinked, then smiled in relief and bowed. "Well, I wish I had time to properly thank you, but it seems that all of us need to be somewhere. Take care!"

"Right," Kagome answered, waving to the couple. As she spun around to run, some loose shoelaces from her right foot were caught underneath her left. Without missing a beat Kagome sunk to the ground almost smoothly, barely managing to avoid a sprained ankle as her body lost its balance. She fell hard on her knees, landing perfectly face-down; the concrete and gravel hissed under her as she slid forward a little, pain burning in her knees and chin as the skin broke.

"Oh! Young Lady, are you--"

"I'm fine!" Kagome leaped back up with superhuman speed, bounding up a nearby flight of stairs leading to the concert hall. The screams of the audience were already coming from inside of the building. The concert had started and Kagome prayed that she would make it to her seat at least before the first song began.  


It doesn't matter… I was there, and THEY were there, and I heard every note. Kagome repeated these thoughts on her way out of the hall. The performance was spectacular. Kagome thankfully reached her seat as the first notes of the first song played, and proceeded to spend the next two hours with a chin that stung every time she opened her mouth to sing along... directly behind the tallest Japanese man she had ever seen. She suspected that she would later regret the exorbitant price she paid for her concert ticket, but desperately repeated these few good aspects of the experience to herself: No regrets. She made it there. She breathed the same air as the band did. The flesh-colored dots on stage, meters and meters away had definitely been L'Arc-en-Ciel.

The sting in Kagome's chin and knees were amplified under sticky, humid air when she descended stairs towards the same riverside walkway she passed earlier, clutching a small bag of tour merchandise to her chest. A few paces away from the stairs her cell phone rang. Kagome was startled as she set her newly-purchased merchandise at her feet, digging around her school bag for the phone. Before she answered, she noticed the message saying, "36 missed calls" on the LCD screen. She inwardly cringed.

"Hello--"

"KAGOME, why aren't you home yet!"

"Mama, I went to an arcade with Eri…"

"Eri? She called for you a while ago! Where did you really go? Why are you lying to me?"

"Mama…"

"Kagome, if you can't even tell me where you are what will I do if something happens to you? I promise I won't get mad, just say where you are."

"You promised, Mama, remember that. Now, keep in mind that Osaka isn't too-"

"YOU'RE IN OSAKA AT THIS TIME OF THE EVENING--" Kagome flinched and hung up on her mother. She turned off her cel phone, too. There was no doubt about the fact that she would be as good as dead once she returned.

The concert was awesome, her thoughts asserted. Kagome balled her fists, stubbornly kicking at the ground. It would be worth…

Worth it..?

Kagome's eyes practically bugged out of her head as she felt her foot meet with something pliable. Pristine white plastic waved in the wind as if it were waving goodbye to her while it jumped back, plummeting steadily towards the water. Her shopping bag landed with a slight splash and then weaved back and forth as it wove with the waves in the river below, mockingly waltzing out of sight at an agonizingly slow pace.

No souvenirs remained of a catastrophic night except memories and the potential growth of scar tissue.

Her memories of beautiful music, cool pyrotechnics, and the intensity of the band were quickly becoming overshadowed by her burning chin (she hoped it wouldn't scar badly) and knees. The fear of facing her mother once she returned home became more of a reality. Her heart sank; she wished for it to sink into the river with the only physical evidence that she even enjoyed a second of her ordeal. In a last act of betrayal tears sank down Kagome's cheeks and she elicited a choked sob when they met with the injured chin. Her tightly-gripped pride stung fittingly; simultaneously with the water and salt gliding into her wound, collecting at its apex before dripping away.

She allowed herself to sob freely. This was her punishment for lying, she ruefully decided. With both hands fisted in her bangs Kagome sank to her heels hiccupping and sniffling. When a hand rest on her shoulder she jumped, completely off-guard.

"Young Lady, are you all right?"

"Oh! Hello again," Kagome quickly straightened and rubbed her tears away as she recognized the woman she had helped earlier. Behind her followed the silhouettes of her husband and a younger man, probably their son, against a darkening sky. "Good evening," she mustered still sniffling. She fixed her gaze on her feet and bowed politely, idly wondering why the son would wear sunglasses at night.

"Are you still in a hurry? Maybe now I can properly thank you for your help earlier…"

"No, no, that's really not necessary. I actually need to get home."

The woman smoothed Kagome's hair against her back. "Even if I could buy you a snack…"

"I'm sorry." Kagome replied, too embarrassed to look into the woman's eyes. "I live in Tokyo, so I really must be heading to the train station before I get into more trouble. I only came here for a concert, you see…"

"Don't tell me you came all the way from Tokyoby yourself to go to that silly L'Arc concert!" a new voice chimed in. The man whom Kagome figured to be the woman's son stepped into view.

"I see now. That explains everything," The woman laughed.

"Mom," the young man started to chuckle.

"'Silly L'Arc concert!'" Kagome shot back to the woman's son without thinking. "Let me tell you something: I cut class, endured several hours on a train among a handful of old perverts in business suits, injured myself after stopping to help your parents and got to the concert late, sat thirty-three rows back, and then spent the majority of it unable to even see on account of the fact that Godzilla happened to have the seat directly in front of me. And now… NOW I've used my last bit of spendable cash on tour goods that ended up THERE," Kagome exclaimed, pointing frantically at a white spot in the river. "and even through all of this, the concert was the best thing ever!" She could feel it, she was near tears again. Kagome sighed, meeting the man's gaze as he removed his sunglasses. "I'm sorry. I'm the one who decided to come here. I don't mean to push my bad mood onto…"

She could find no words then, only gaping in disbelief at him.

He smiled at her, draping an arm over his mother's shoulder while his father remained a few steps back, smiling.

"I… I…" Kagome was certain she had completely lost her mind. Her knees weakened. "You're… you're…"

"That little trinket you found was my mother's backstage pass. We've had people try to impersonate my parents before so they wouldn't have been able to come see me without it, I'm indebted to you."

"YOU'RE," Kagome began to exclaim, clutching a hand to her chest as if to stop her heart from jumping out. The man's eyes grew a little large as he looked around and then gestured for her to lower her voice. "You couldn't be…" Kagome babbled, bowing her head slightly in apology and glancing around as well. "Why would you be walking around out in the open…"

"This is my home town, after all. I assume you already know that they call me hyde, but please… call me Hideto. Takarai Hideto."

Kagome could only gape and bow. "I couldn't!" Why didn't she recognize his voice? She gaped at the familiar contours of his face. Her heart pounded, her thoughts slowly wrapping around the realization that this was the owner of a wonderful voice that brought her to tears, sang her to sleep, and made her smile when she needed it. The vocalist of L'Arc-en-Ciel, who always stared back at her with alluring eyes through posters and videos without ever knowing her face, bore into her now with a soft gaze, full of mirth. She stared at his short mahogany-colored hair that had been spiked during the concert, peeking out from beneath his black hoodie. She blinked, her eyes travelling down to his famed barbed wire necklace, loosely wrapped around his neck. It's... it's really him! His thin form stood casually in worn black jeans and his famous black boots with a slightly raised heel, hips slumped forward just as in his magazine shoots.

"You absolutely could." Hideto reached into his pocket, retrieving a handkerchief to wipe Kagome's face with. "If you would like to join us for dinner, perhaps I could call your mother?"

Kagome fell to her knees, only to be helped back up by Mrs. Takarai. "I'm going to regret this for the rest of my life, but if I miss the train tonight... Oh, what should I do? Mama will only get alarmed and scared when a strange man calls her…"

"You seem to be panicking on the outside but on the inside you're still level-headed!" Hideto laughed, removing his wristlet. "If you'd like, we could arrange a way for you to get home, but..." He took Kagome's trembling hand. With his left hand he gripped hers delicately and pressed the bracelet of skulls and his initials into her palm with his other. "Well, take this. Either way, think of it as a promise to meet again when I get back home to Tokyo…"  


Kagome smiled a little at the memory, but groaned. Too many things were running through her mind; she would never get to sleep at this rate! "Can't be helped." She rolled out of bed, putting her slippers back on as she reentered the hallway. While it made her feel happy to hear Hojo's voice, she realized that the radio was keeping her awake. As Hojo and Fukuyama chattered she stopped in the narrow walkway, pulling up the blinds to stare at the moon hanging in a clear sky. Being away from major city lights made the stars more visible. Watching the sky always calmed Kagome. It was the one true constant in her life: no matter what happened to her the stars would always be there, shining indifferently to the sum of all worldly things.

Her reverie came to a halt when she heard apprehension in Hojo's voice on the radio.

I don't think we should--

Don't give me that, Hojo-san, why did you even mention that she called? Your cel phone has been sitting out on the table all night like that...

Hojo paused.

I, uh... oh well, it can't be too bad... Kagome-chan isn't lewd or anything like that, and her messages are always so cute...

Kagome gasped. She wanted to bang her head on the wall.

This is certainly an All Night Nippon exclusive... an actual voice mail from Higurashi Kagome to Hojo! Here we go.

The distant tone from pressing buttons on Hojo's cell phone could be heard. Kagome held her breath. She was completely floored at Hojo's inaction, yet also realized that it would be more scandalous to angrily protest on the air. She was particularly surprised that Fukuyama would initiate something like this.

Darliiiing, you're still on the radio right now.

Kagome wanted to run away. She wanted to curl up in a ball and die of embarassment.

I listened for a little bit. Now as I lay here in that absolutely tiny nightgown you bought me... you know, the one with the super-thin straps and the little lace frills? I'll have your voice running through my head. Here's a little indirect kiss of my own: chu! Good night.

Silence followed, but only for a brief second.

HOJO-SAN, I thought you said she was sleeping! She heard me say all of those things!

It's your own fault, Fukuyama-san, you shouldn't speak so freely on nationally-broadcasted radio when you know anyone could hear...

Well, yeah, yeah, color me embarassed. But never mind that, what is this I hear about a tiny nightgown? Y-you know what I said before, Hojo-san?

What are you talking about?

I. Envy. You. Ridiculously. You and Higurashi Kagome, and tiny nightgowns, and cute little phone messages... I am completely jealous, and I bet there are thousands of listeners out there who feel the same way.

I, uh, thank you, I guess..?

By now Kagome was convinced that her heart had stopped. She could feel the blood burning through her cheeks. She sank to the ground, pressing her palms to her face.

"...FUCK! I'll fucking kill both of them!" Kagome gasped. Oh, no. She forgot about him. Above her stood Inuyasha, clawed hands gripping both sides of the door frame as he narrowed his sleep-clouded eyes.

"Dammit Kagome, I was hoping you weren't awake to hear that. God DAMN him, what the hell was he thinking!"

Kagome's stunned gaze could only bore into the glinting yellow of Inuyasha's eyes. She shook her head as the show went to another commercial. Inuyasha stood her up, escorting her back to her room. Placing one arm protectively around Kagome's shoulders he squeezed her. "I'm sorry you had to hear that," Inuyasha tried to soothe.

"Don't talk as if you're the one responsible, Inuyasha," Kagome smiled for him, but he knew how shaken she was feeling. With a placating hand on her back he lightly pushed her into her room. Waiting for Kagome to remove her slippers before entering he closed the door behind her, and then turned back towards his room.

Kagome stood in her room, unmoving for a moment. As she slowly began to step towards her bed her cel phone rang. It could only be one person. She let her phone ring a little bit before moving to pick it up.

"Kagome?"

She remained silent.

"Kagome, it's me."

Kagome finally sighed. "If you're going to ask if I heard it... I... I just..."

"Look, we were being pressured. There was a guest who didn't show up, and both Fukuyama-san and I weren't feeling too comfortable with doing this--"

"HOJO," Kagome interrupted, shaking, still embarassed. "I know, I KNOW that you and I are always in the public eye, I know and I understand that a lot of the reason that we're so popular is because we are a together, but..."

"I know, Kagome-chan, as soon as we did it I wanted to kick myself."

"How do you think I feel, hearing myself say something so personal on the air! That was a message for you only. I want to talk to Fukuyama-san."

"Kagome-chan, please, Honey,"

"NOW." Kagome was a little surprised at how angry her voice sounded when it came out. There was a pause then, and Kagome let out a shaky breath before Fukuyama got on the phone.

"Hello? Is this Higurashi-san?"

"Never again," Kagome said, her voice firm and straightforward.

"Higurashi-san, I'm sorry to have to speak to you for the first time in a situation like this... All of those things I said on the air, I really do mean it, I think you're wonderful, beautiful--"

"Honestly I'm not in a mood to hear about how sexy you think I am, Fukuyama-san. And I know a public apology would just draw more attention to this; I just want you to know that I'm really disappointed. Joking around is one thing, and making a fool of ourselves for television or radio shows is another thing, but you of all people should know how important it is to not let the lines between our public and private lives blur."

"...I understand, Higurashi-san. I'd better go, we're coming out of a commercial."

"I'd like to meet with you some time when all of this is behind us, Fukuyama-san. Maybe then I'll be in a mood to be flattered," Kagome whispered.

He paused a little, obviously taken aback. "Y-You're an angel," he laughed, before ending the call.

Kagome groaned, seemingly for the millionth time that night. She noticed that Inuyasha had shut his radio off, his room finally silent. Diving back onto her bed, she grabbed for the cord to her charger, plugging it back into her cell phone. The young woman lay there, staring blankly at the ceiling. She traced her eyes down over her legs, noting that she would need to work out a bit once the tour ended. Her eyes moved away from her legs, her stares shifting about her compact bedroom. It lingered on a picture frame, and then darted back to a window where the sky peeked out from under the blinds.

"I... am NEVER getting to sleep, am I?" Kagome rolled out of bed yet again and shuffled out of her room, intent on bugging Inuyasha for a bit.  


Notes:

In case you don't know, Fukuyama Masaharu, All Night Nippon, hyde, L'Arc-en-Ciel, their tour in 1998 ("Light My Fire/Haato ni Hi wo Tsukero!") and even the September Osaka tour date on a Monday (and Tuesday, actually... not that I went) are all real. Not that you need to know that in order to enjoy this fic, though.

Something you might want to keep in mind is that Japan tends to... eh... terrorize their celebrities on the air, at times. It's not uncommon to see certain stars making fools out of themselves as a human bowling ball knocking down giant foam bowling pins, or TV hosts jokingly hitting celebrities, or singers showing their cooking "skills" and subjecting TV hosts to horrible concoctions... etc.

Thanks for reading! Until next time...