InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fade and Flare ❯ Chapter 4

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I don't usually write this frequently, so please don't take it for granted. ; I was in between projects. Oh, speaking of projects, this time around I've done a drawing of Sango:
(fix the address accordingly, of course):
mediaminer (dot) org (slash) fanart (slash) view (dot) php (slash) 173100.


"Hello?"

"Is this Higurashi Kagome-san?"

In an arcade in Tokyo's Akihabara district a high-school aged Kagome stood behind one of her best friends, Ayumi, as she held a small pink cell phone to her ear. Flashing multicolored lights from the various machines in the stuffy, crowded room reflected off of the surface of her phone and the small mob of mascots and charms attached to it. With her free hand Kagome did her best to fend off the noise of music, sound effects from arcade machines, and the voices of loud patrons as she spoke on the phone. "I'm sorry, how did you get my number? Who is this?" Ayumi looked up from her game and raised an eyebrow at Kagome.

"We met in Osaka. Do you remember the bracelet I gave you?"

A smile spread like wildfire across Kagome's face, and now Ayumi's interest was even more piqued. "Takarai-san, is that you?"

"Hideto."

Kagome blushed. "Hi! I'm wearing it right now."

"I'm glad! Listen, I'm back in Tokyo and was wondering: are you free for dinner tonight? I have a couple of friends over at my place. If you like, why don't you come over and join us?"

"Your place!" Kagome squeaked. While it was obvious that Takarai Hideto was set on speaking to her in such a familiar manner, Kagome was still star-struck. Deep down somewhere she realized that of course Hideto was a human being, just as she was, but what took more priority in Kagomes mind was that this particular human being was one that she idolized and adored, and was asking plain and ordinary her to come to his home. She slumped back against Ayumi, nearly collapsing in excitement.

"It's nothing exciting, I understand if you don't feel like sitting around."

Kagome somehow found her breath again. "No no, nothing like that. It's just that I have to be at home by eleven o'clock tonight, and would also feel bad about ditching my friend, but I really really do want to go! So Im not trying to blow you off or anything. Um, I bet you think I'm nuts, having to say no a second time like I don't want to hang out with you, or something... But I do! Not that I'd think someone like you would need any kind of reassurance. Ah!" Kagome sighed, completely embarrassed at how brainless she sounded. "I'm so sorry, I sound like a retard! Argh!"

Hideto chuckled at how frantic Kagome's voice was; he found it cute. "Let's talk about this a little bit."  


"I love you to death, Kagome-chan, but I still think you're full of it." The pair of girls reached the entrance of a high rise and were greeted by a man in his mid-twenties, wearing a midnight blue uniform.

"Good evening," he said, smiling at them. "These are private residences, so I'm going to have to ask if you two have any business here."

"Um, yes..." Kagome was a little overwhelmed. The simple act of going to Hideto's house was a new experience in itself. "We were invited by Mr. Takarai Hideto."

The young man gave them a courteous smile that he had given so many other people before. It was very clear that they weren't the first pair of high school aged girls to say these words to him. "Can I get your names, please?"

"Higurashi Kagome."

"Um, Ueno Ayumi."

"Higurashi and Ueno, got it. Wait right here, please." He reentered his office, and the pair watched him through the tinted glass of the door while he spoke into an intercom. He finally returned. "Sorry about that."

"This happens a lot, I take it?"Kagome smiled.

He grinned, running one hand across his bleached blond hair and resting it on the back of his neck as he held the door open for the girls. Both girls bowed to the doorman as they entered. The doorman returned their bows.

"Goes without saying, right? Head to the elevator straight ahead of you and go to the thirtieth floor, apartment sixty-six."

"Floor thirty. Apartment sixty-six. Help me remember that, Ayumi-chan."

"Right."

The girls stalked across the lobby's gray marble floor in silence. Their footsteps echoed in the large unfurnished room until the pair halted in front of the elevator. Kagome pushed a button, handing her shopping bag to Ayumi while she readjusted her grip on her schoolbag. They said nothing to each other, each slightly lost in confusion at this surreal situation. Going to a strange man's apartment was downright stupid. They knew this. Kagome was not scared though, putting her trust in Hideto and the fact that he wouldn't go so far to hurt a random high school girl. Having met his parents also gave her a strange sense of security. Ayumi was also not scared; Her emotions were drowned out by curiosity, and any fear she had was abated by her trust in Kagome.

On a subconscious level, though, both girls still realized what a potentially stupid thing this was to do. When the elevator's bell rang, it startled Kagome and Ayumi. They walked through the opened doors side by side, still silent.

Once the door closed and a button was pressed, Ayumi finally spoke. "Kagome?"

"Hm?"

"I... think I'm starting to believe you now."

Kagome's posture relaxed a little bit, and she turned to smile at her friend.

"But you know, I'm kinda mad at you. You didn't even mention that the nice man who gave you that bracelet in Osaka was hyde himself? How cruel!"

"I told you, you should have gone with me," Kagome giggled.

The elevator finally came to a halt. The girls stepped out into a beautiful hallway with plush wine-colored carpet, cream colored walls, and crystal chandeliers lighting the way every few yards. They walked alongside each other awestruck, hearts pounding with every step they took. Part of Kagome was still in disbelief at the whole situation. After turning a corner twice they reached the end of the hall and stood facing an ominous black lacquered door, the number 66 emblazoned across it in intimidating gold. Below the numbers a small plaque hung; the kanji, Takarai, neatly engraved into it. Kagome eyed it as she rang the door bell.

"Just a minute!" A few locks clicked and soon Hideto's head peeked out from behind the door. Once he saw Kagome he opened the door all the way, leading the girls in.

"Good evening, Takarai-san," Kagome started to say, but was quickly corrected.

"Uh-uh, no. I told you before, I only answer to Hideto when you're concerned." Hideto smiled at Ayumi, bowing to her in salutation. "So, the doorman says you're Ueno Ayumi-san, is that correct?"

"Y-yes, it's nice to meet you!" Ayumi bowed deeply, presenting her shopping bag to Hideto. "This is something that Kagome and I brought... it's vanilla gelato."

Hideto took the bag, bowing back to the young girl. "That's going to go great with the strawberry cake we're having later."

Kagome's eyes lit up. "Strawberry cake! I love strawberry," she squealed, and then blushed at the sudden outburst. Ayumi bit back a giggle.

All Hideto could do was smile. "Please, come this way." He retrieved two pairs of house slippers for Kagome and Ayumi, crossing his arms as he watched Kagome remove her shoes."We didn't get to properly hang out last time, but it's good to see you again. It's a little imposing to ask you to come to my house, but I hope you'll understand..."

"Anything for you," Kagome blurted out. Their eyes met then, and parted ways just as quickly. Kagome bit her lip, linking an arm with Ayumi. "Thank you for inviting us! Hopefully we won't be a bother to you."

"Never," Hideto answered, giving the pair a warm smile. "Let's go and greet everyone."


We haven't been here since high school, but why do I always let him talk me into this stuff? Kagome repositioned the baseball cap on her head as she stepped out of the cab. She nearly tripped on the curb, but Hojo caught her hand before she could fall.

"I'm sorry, Kagome... this was probably a bad idea, we should have ordered room service." Hojo looked to either side, hoping that nobody would notice them.

Despite the apprehension she felt inside, she smiled disarmingly at him from beneath her dark sunglasses. He meant well. Though they didn't have a lot of time, the notion of sneaking away for a quick little date seemed fun! There was no commitment involved in a trip to WacDonald's.

"No, it's okay," Kagome said as the pair headed inside the building. "A little trip out is good once in a while. We'll get the food to go, and head back to the hotel."

"Yes, yes."

Together they each pushed open a glass door and were welcomed by a gust of warm air that was thick with the decadent smell of salt and oil. The amount of patrons were thankfully sparse; Hojo had asked the driver to take them to a less populated WacDonald's, after all. The food was ordered with no problems. A bored young man who had to be in his late teens or early twenties barely looked at the couple as he dispensed change to them in a mechanical tone. Kagome and Hojo sat in a far corner of the seating area as they waited for their food to come, and as efficiently as they made their order they left. Three teriyaki burgers, an order of fish nuggets, and two orders of French fries were being cradled in three paper bags in Kagome's arms, while Hojo held two small peach Fantas with each of his hands.

They stood outside the restaurant for a minute, at a loss of what to do next.

"Hojo," Kagome ventured.

"Yes?"

"Did... did you ask the cab driver to wait?"

He was silent.

"...I forgot to," he finally mumbled.

"I don't think I did either," Kagome said.

"Oh well, give me your cell phone."

"I left it at the hotel room."

His eyebrows raised high over his sunglasses. "You... you what? You're never without your cell phone!"

Kagome rubbed her forehead. "Hojo. I'm supposed to be asleep right now. Who on earth is going to call me?"

"But you're not! What if there's an emergency, like now?"

As Hojo's voice raised a bit she noticed a couple of people looking at them. Not good! "Lower your voice. Let's walk, we can't stand here."

"Which way do we walk? I don't know where we are right now."

"Argh," Kagome took a minute to survey the surrounding area. She was thankful that she had spent enough time in Osaka to have an idea of where they were. She faced north, walking slowly at first until Hojo began to follow. "So, Mr. In-case-of-emergency, where's your cell phone?"

"It's charging in the hotel room."

"Oh crap," Kagome sighed.

"So what do we do now?"

Kagome cursed, thinking aloud. "Well, for obvious reasons we can't take the train." She blinked as Hojo's face suddenly turned down, allowing his baseball cap to cover his face as he sipped his drink. Noticing a woman who was staring at them from across the street, Kagome yanked a burger from one of the bags, shoving the wrapper off to one side as she began to eat it. She hid as much of her face as possible behind it while she took slow, small bites. "Anyway," she continued. "Can't take the train. We also can't call Shippo."

"Why can't we call Shippo?"

"Because he'll tell Inuyasha, that's why. And Inuyasha's already been in a bad mood, I don't want to worry him."

"Damn it, then we'll call Sango."

"No, Hojo, we'll call a cab. I don't know how well she knows the city."

"This is assuming we can find a pay phone, of course."

"No Dear, this is assuming we can find one that takes a phone card, because I don't know about you; I'm out of coins--"

"Then we'll get a phone card in a convenience store, just in case."

"Argh." Kagome's eyes began to burn again in a stinging reminder that she should have kept them closed when she had the chance.


"Kagome-chan, Kagome, Kagome, shh, we're almost there." Hojo tried his best to soothe his girlfriend, who quietly sobbed into his shirt in the back of a taxi. He stifled a glare at the cab driver who glanced back at them every so often through the rear view mirror. To the short, bulbous man behind the steering wheel not minding his own business, he chose to smile instead. "She's not feeling very well," Hojo explained. The cab driver realized he had been caught and bowed in an embarrassed apology.

Damn right I'm not fucking feeling well, Kagome wanted to say. Instead, she vented her frustration in the form of tears all over Hojo's shirt; it took the least amount of energy and thought at this point. She had wished so badly to spend time with him, but not like this. What started as one of the sweetest surprise visits Hojo had ever paid her became a nightmare. No, that's not true. A nightmare involves sleep, she thought bitterly.

While Kagome had a passing familiarity with the major streets of Osaka her knowledge in places to buy a phone card, like convenience stores and supermarkets, didn't apply to parts of the city she did not frequent. It took roughly thirty minutes before they finally found a 7-11. They ad then walked for an hour before finding a payphone that wasn't in the middle of a busy shopping center teeming with curious prying eyes. The payphone ended up having a machine that dispensed phone cards right next to it, and Kagome did her absolute best not to scream upon that discovery. Waiting for the cab was also a nuisance; standing for twenty minutes in the same place was like asking to be recognized. Kagome and Hojo spent most of that time staring at the ground, or covering their faces with their cold food while they ate, hoping that the brims of their baseball caps would help shield them in enough anonymity to remain unnoticed.

Now in the back of the cab, Kagome was thankful that her ordeal was nearly over. She was also dreadful of what was coming. Her three hours that had been allotted for sleep were almost completely diminished; spent hastily on such a whim. Kagome couldn't curse any part of her that was impulsive, however. If not for such tendencies, the most memorable times of her life may not have existed.

No, she couldn't curse tendencies that were impulsive, but she could absolutely curse impulses that were downright stupid.

When Hojo led her into the hotel her stomach began to do back flips. Had she not have been so exhausted she wouldn't have been feeling as horrible as she did. Hopefully she would return before Inuyasha realized what had happened, at the very least. At the moment it didn't matter that he would only be angry because it was his job to worry, Kagome just couldn't afford to waste any more energy getting him to shut up.

"Kagome-chan, I... I didn't mean for this to happen."

"No, I'm just as responsible as you are. But I just... I missed you!" Kagome gripped Hojo's arm with both of her own, laying her head onto his shoulder for support as they reached the elevator.

"I'll stay with you until tomorrow. You can sleep, and then we can get some reservations to a nice restaurant this time."

"Sounds great!" Kagome raised her hand to press the call button for the elevator, but not quickly enough.

"I knew it, she's here!"

"Oh my God, Hojo-san's with her! How romantic!"

Kagome and Hojo's shoulders collectively slumped, just a little bit. Not now. Two girls that appeared to be in high school skipped up alongside the couple, squealing and jumping.

One girl, wearing white loose socks and red dyed hair, clasped her hands together. "Are you... Higurashi Kago--?"

"Can we have your autographs, pleeease?" her shorter friend who wore a messenger bag interrupted.

"Can we hang out with you?"

"We're gonna be at the concert tomorrow night, Higurashi-san, right in front!"

"Which room are you staying in, we promise we won't tell anybody!"

"Is this a really nice hotel? How are the rooms?"

"Hojo-san, you look so much taller in person!"

Kagome and Hojo stood there, incredulous at the barrage of words. All Kagome could do was lean further into Hojo, she couldn't handle this right now. He gave Kagome a knowing glance and opened his mouth to speak. He never got the chance to answer.

"Sorry. Move along, ladies." The girls were pushed back, and the elevator door was opened with the push of a button. Inuyasha towered ominously over them, folding his arms as Kagome and Hojo entered the elevator. "Kagome's got to get ready to leave right now, we're in a hurry." He followed them inside and pressed the button for the door to close. As Kagome moved to push the button for her floor Inuyasha stopped her.

"Wait. We're not going to let them follow us to our room." He pressed three other buttons and then the one for their own floor, leaning back against the wall of the elevator car afterwards.

The three stood in an exasperated silence. Inuyasha glanced at Kagome, subtly assessing her. It didn't take a youkai's senses to tell that she hadn't had any sleep since he left her. For that he wanted to rip out Hojo's throat. The man was already on Inuyasha's shit list. The hanyou lowered his face, glaring at Hojo through his bangs, gleefully thinking about all the ways he could send the puny little human into a world of pain. I don't care how much you've been working out lately, Inuyasha wanted to say. I could gut you with both arms tied behind my back. Inuyasha resigned himself to the fact that the act of murdering Hojo would only put Kagome through a harder time than she was having already.

Kagome didn't like the silence. Her hands gripped tightly onto the black baseball cap she wore out today. "Inuyasha, look, I'll be fine tonight."

"Hm?" Inuyasha smiled at her. The elevator made its first stop at one of the floors Inuyasha pushed the button for. He closed the door and the three continued their ride up to their floor. "We can afford about fifteen minutes, if you want to take a quick shower."

Kagome was a little surprised at the fact that she got no reprimand, but didn't ask questions. Once everyone reached Kagome's room she dashed towards the bathroom. "Give me ten minutes," she called behind her, closing the door to the bathroom.

Hojo walked over to a white couch, grabbing for a remote control. Inuyasha sat alongside him. A low growl rumbled in his chest at every movement Hojo made. He eventually spoke.

"Aren't you batting a thousand lately."

Hojo sighed. "I told her I was sorry. I'll be here at least until tomorrow, I didn't mean for this to happen."

"Ah. Standing her up couldn't be helped, too."

"Hey, look. It's been rough lately. I hate reshoots as much as the next guy but a job is a job, Inuyasha."

"Ah, a job is a job. What a completely valid excuse for shitting all over your woman's feelings. Did that Fukuyama bastard help you think that one up after you guys fucked her shit up last night? Ratings are ratings and a job is a job. Publicly embarrassing Kagome is just fine as long as you cannibalize a bunch of roses on her floor and drag her to WacDonald's when she should be getting some rest?"

The young man paused, bewildered for a second. He forgot that Inuyasha probably smelled the food on them, or maybe just overheard where they were going. Either way didn't really matter at this point.

"Don't put words in my mouth and dont accuse me of intentions I dont have, Inuyasha." Hojo tried not to be affected by Inuyasha's words, flipping channels rapidly until he felt a little better. Both he and Inuyasha glanced at the television noncommittally, and Hojo tried to appear distracted. "You haven't known her as long as I have. I know when she's forgiven me."

"All right, you've got me there."

Hojo sighed again. "I'm glad you understand."

"If you're proud of flaunting the fact that that you mess things up so much and constantly require Kagome's forgiveness, have a goddamned field day. Take the fucking world title, for all I care."

The remote control slipped from Hojo's hand, landing on the floor with a soft bounce. "Hang on a minute. Why do you have to give me this kind of crap when Kagome is equally responsible? She's a grown adult."

Inuyasha had to take a deep breath in order to stop himself from attacking Hojo outright. "She is also dead tired and about to spend an hour in hair and makeup, before dancing and singing her heart out for three hours straight with barely any kind of a break. You think it'll help if I make her feel like shit right now? She knows I've got to tear into her later, it's my fucking job, but there's some consideration to take account for. Remember that word? Consideration?" Inuyasha snatched the remote control from the floor, turning off the television. "Hojo. The difference between the two of you is that she is my client and you are not. As her friend, and as her employee I care about her."

"Ah," Hojo answered, "So... somehow you're better than me because you care about Kagome so much, you're so good and diligent with your job, but when I'm good and diligent about my job I'm a bastard."

"I don't need to shit on somebody to do my job." Inuyasha scoffed.

"Oh, yes, you're absolutely not shitting on me right now. Inuyasha growled a little, but Hojo continued. You care about Kagomes well-being so much that you have to give me a bad time? Why don't you just come out and tell the truth, Inuyasha? I see the way you act around her."

"What!" Inuyasha's fangs peeked out from beneath his lips.

"Do you think I'm unable to tell when someone wants her? Ive known her since middle school and Ive dated her for four years. Do you honestly believe I'm blind to that sort of thing?"

Inuyasha stared at Hojo incredulously. "D-don't be ridiculous, you arrogant prick! Dont flatter yourself, either! To think Id actually want to get it on with... Kagome's a great girl, maybe one of my favorites, but in the end she's still a human. In another lifetime she'd still be prey to me."

Hojo called Inuyasha's bluff. "'Prey' is definitely a good word for it."

Crossing his arms, Inuyasha huffed. "All right, now that we've danced in some irrelevant, unfounded shit, let me just remind you again: I shouldn't have to tell all-knowing and all-wonderful You to quit making your girlfriend cry.I don't want to fucking fight about it. Go be a better man than me and just treat her right, okay?"

They glared at each other, the quiet room starting to dim as the sun went down.

Hojo jammed both hands in his hair, ruffling his bangs. "Argh! Look, I'm sorry, Man. I shouldn't be mad at you for wanting Kagome to be happy. Maybe I shouldnt jump to conclusions, either."

Yeah. Inuyasha snorted, leaning back on the couch. Lets not do this again.


Notes:

Somehow, the story did not go as far as I intended in this chapter but it turned out to be longer than I expected.

I read an interesting thing in one of the reviews: the impression that Kagome is a virgin (during the current setting, not in the flashbacks). Honestly I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but Kagome is around 22/23 years old when we first see her.

Let's weigh the facts. We've got: - An attractive lady with an attractive boyfriend, probably not her first.
- Celebrities. Typical pitfalls of fame aside, it seems celebrities pretty much do as they please in the privacy of their own dwellings without a reprimand from Mom and Dad.
And on that note:
- Grown adults: A mention of a time (in chapter 2, I think) when she and Hojo would somewhat regularly have beer with dinner (legal age in Japan is 20), and plenty of time in between to do the horizontal.
- An R rating (NC-17 at mediaminer).

The outcome of these things put together don't really matter to the story, but someone who still manages to deduce "virgin" from all of it is much more pure of heart than I... or just underage. I'll discount the latter and trust that my readers honor the rating and are of the appropriate age. ;D

For those who review, thank you! Writing is something I can only do in my spare time (got a job and stuff), but the knowledge that others are enjoying it make me actually try to write this more often. I'm a little surprised at that. Thank you to anyone who has shown interest in this story:D Sorry this notes segment is pretty lengthy. x.x;;