InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fade and Flare ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 12 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Fade and Flare

Chapter 11

I finally looked it up! Inuyasha (at least the anime, anyway) is copyright Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan, Yomiuri Terebi, and Sunrise 2000.


"Would you like the rest of my martini, Kagome?"

"Please." She hadn't forced such a smile for him since high school. Fortunately her job allowed for constant practice; her ability hadn't dulled.

Plus Minus Zero was a beautiful cafe! Even though Tokyo was literally littered with trendy and attractive places to sit and enjoy a tasty drink this one in particular struck a chord with Kagome's aesthetic sensibilities. She enjoyed its minimalist decor and white color scheme. Her black tea float had been pretty good, too.

With Hojo she sat in a corner table adjacent to a window, pretending to laugh and converse as if it were actually fun. This pair of celebrities pretended as if there were no eyes on them, and in turn all with prying eyes pretended to look at other things when they feared being noticed. The bustling cafe was full of liars today, which was why Kagome wanted a shot of whiskey. It served as "liquid courage", Inuyasha often joked. As Kagome noticed someone taking out their cell phone to sneak a photo of them she could only sigh and turn her head away, directing Hojo to do the same thing.

The young woman began to lament. It took a mistake in Shibuya for her to finally be granted time with her fiancee, but now it was uncomfortable to be around him. Lately Inuyasha had distanced himself from her, too. She couldn't blame him. Though she felt no shyness about pleasuring herself in front of him, the young woman was still ashamed of going to such lengths to get his attention.

"This is really what you and I come down to, isn't it? This is... this is the fucking truth about us."

Inuyasha's words were spot-on; they had ignored the truth. They weren't supposed to acknowledge it. From behind the safety of a closed door was where Kagome could truly be herself. It really shouldn’t have been a new thing for her. Every other aspect of her life was kept at a safe distance from the rest of the world, filtered for public consumption.

When she spent her high school years in this manner at Hideto's apartment it was glamorous; like a game. Keeping secrets was like being a part of a special club. Those years had passed so quickly. Before the pop star had realized it the game became more of a chore, full of consequences when neglected. The safe haven of closed doors had turned into a prison.

"This is... this is the fucking truth about us."

That's right, something inside of her finally admitted that night. But once she'd done so, something in her heart felt less confined. Kagome wanted more of that feeling. Inuyasha could give it to her.

Sadly, she glanced at Hojo. As the remainder of his martini sank to the bottom of her stomach she could feel her mood going down with it. They had not spoken about what happened in Shibuya. Perhaps Kagome didn't want to talk about it, afraid to fully address the reason why she allowed her faith in this man to waver so easily. Perhaps Hojo was afraid to bring up another wound. As the days passed it was pretty apparent to Kagome that Hojo had not cheated on her, though it was clear that their fighting brought out other problems they had previously just ignored.

Things that Kagome had once overlooked because she was in love were now under heavier scrutiny. In a way she worried for him. For better or for worse... When things were good, she felt more than elated. Now Kagome was unsure if she had any more patience for the "worse" of things. Emotional distance grew tiring; the weight of their impending doom sat heavily on her shoulders. She wondered if Hojo felt as taxed as she did, suddenly feeling lonely.

But even though the last year had been disappointing they'd shared moments that were irreplaceable. In watching how he grinned as they spoke today Kagome was hit with a wave of nostalgia. It had been so long since they'd spent time together at such leisure. Exhaling sadly, Kagome interrupted Hojo momentarily. "I'm sorry. I've got some choreography to practice today so we'll have to wrap this up soon."

"Ah," he beamed at her. "Well, that’s okay. I had a great time today! Next week, I've got another place in mind. Do you think we can manage something before the awards show?"

For a second Kagome looked thoughtful. Though there would be another rehearsal it could be done. "It would absolutely need to be on Thursday night."

"No problem. I'll have Yuka set it up and I'll call you. I already can't wait." That smile reminded her of old times.

"Same here..."

The liquor in her stomach wasn't sitting too well with the ice cream.


Backstage Kagome thumbed through a photocopied booklet, shocked and delighted.

"You guys are awesome! This is so cool! I don't believe it; I'm not worthy of something like this."

"Don't think like that, Kagome-san! All of the members absolutely believe in you. You're going to go far, and we're going to cheer for you through it all!"

She couldn't wipe the smile off of her face. "I hope you're right. Well, I've got to get ready now, but I hope you ladies enjoy the show! Can I keep this?"

"Please do! Take care, Kagome-san!"

Carefully, Kagome tucked the fourth issue of her fan club newsletter under an arm while she waved goodbye to two girls in gothic lolita gear-- co-founders of the fan club. She hummed as she headed to her dressing room, kicking the door open.

"Hide-chan, I have a fan club! They gave me a copy of the newsletter, too! I can't wait to get home and frame this."

"Damn, I should have thought to start one of those for you."

Kagome removed her jacket, revealing a black leather bustier. With practiced speed she took out her stage makeup and began to apply eyeliner. "I already know you're my number one fan," joked the girl.

"Oh, so I'm just a fan, am I?" He paused, changing his tone. "Hey, what the hell is this?"

"Hm?" Once her eyeliner was applied she looked over her companion's shoulder while he read the newsletter. Inside was a picture of Hojo among a handful of other audience members. He looked as if he were about to pass out (Kagome's audience was typically rowdy) as he held up a sign with I'm in love with you, Kagome printed across it in bold letters. The brazen gesture never concerned Kagome too much. She laughed, rolling her eyes a little. "He does that at every show. Wants me to go out with him." With another giggle she applied her lipstick. "He'll probably ask me out again tonight; I might go just to shut him up. He's kinda hot, anyway."

"This is that friend of yours, right? The one I hit with my car?"

"I almost kinda understand, but... wait, what?"

"I mean, he's your little friend from school, right?"

Kagome could only stare at Hideto slightly confused. Hit with a car? She would have to let it go for now, anyway. "Yes. I've known him forever."

"And you're gonna date him? After you and I--"

"After we what, Hide-chan? Agreed not to date each other? What do you expect me to do, stay single forever? I know you won't. I don't expect you to."

He didn't reply.

"As I'm sure you understand quite intimately, I've got a libido like anyone else."

Turning away he produced a cigarette, lighting it to calm down. "Sorry, I know. To me it's just shitty, okay? He gets to see you because he's a nobody. One day his name will be known because he took the famous Higurashi Kagome out on a date. At best he'll be an obscure trivia question in one of your fan club newsletters."

Why him, of all people? He glared down at a red pentagram ring on his right hand. It shifted as he made a fist. Kagome's hand, smudged with black makeup, covered his gently.

­

"Be happy for me. Please?"

"If he ever hurts you I'll rip him a new one. And don't you dare get knocked up!" Hideto was pouting now.

Kagome practically fell over. "Are you serious? We're still in the hypothetical here, and you're practically... gah!" She slapped him on the back of the head. "Don't let that spiky hair pierce through the part of your brain that keeps you rational."

"Ow!" The rock star almost dropped his cigarette. "Sorry. I get a little irritated when I don't get what I want. I hate to lose, you know."

Producing a tissue, Kagome cleaned excess makeup off of her hands and put things away. "You're not the only one settling, you know."

Swiftly he took her hand, gripping it tightly. Startled by the intensity of Hideto's expression Kagome remained silent. She watched his lips part, as if wanting to say something. Once their eyes met, they quickly parted ways again. His fingertips brushed hers gently as he finally released her hand, but it was clear he wasn't satisfied with things. With a firm grip he pulled the young woman against him, wrapping his arms defiantly around her.

"Stay with me tonight."

"This isn't fair. When I was ready to do it you were so big on changing my mind, and now you're gonna trivialize all of that? You asked me to make a ridiculous, overly-dramatic decision in the first place; deal with it now."

Tightening his hold, the older man sighed into Kagome's hair. "I guess I'm having trouble following through. Dangling your new boyfriend in front of my face... it's a little cruel, don’t you think?"

"Maybe the truth is cruel, but I don't ever want to hide these things from you, Hide-chan. We're friends for life. This guy... he's not even my boyfriend yet."

His fingertips caressed the exposed skin on her back as he considered her words.

"At the very least let me give you a night to remember."

At this, Kagome had to giggle. "Silly, you've given me a million nights to remember!"

"You know what I mean."

"...I've got to go on stage, now. See you after the show?"

Hideto felt a pang in his chest. It seemed like a small piece of him was steadily disappearing as he slowly loosened his grip. Finally he nodded, unable to meet her gaze as he completely released her. A period of their lives came to an end that night as Kagome left for the stage.

For once, watching her perform was painful. A sense of pride always soared in Hideto's heart as he watched her grow ever more comfortable in her own skin, but the fact that she preferred being on stage over being with him still stung a little.

Now faced with the realization that another man would one day reap what he himself had sown, he became uneasy. Any jerk off the street had the potential of ruining Kagome, including Hojo. It would only be a matter of time before she'd have other goals in life beyond her career.

He couldn’t always be there for her. His own band would be touring soon, leaving nobody else in Kagome's life to push her forward. Beyond that he had radio shows, magazine interviews, commercials to shoot and of course more songs to write. While her family was supportive, her mother was also (sometimes alarmingly) too trusting of her daughter's choices to assume much authority over her. Additionally, there was no guarantee that any future boyfriend would encourage Kagome's progress without his own agenda in mind.

As Hideto watched Kagome's set continue he produced his cell phone, intent on handling things.

To the horror of the rock star, Kagome was speaking to Hojo once the show ended. She laughed a little during their exchange, and eventually pulled him onstage with her. Heading backstage with a blushing Hojo in tow, she smiled once they met Hideto.

"Great show," was all he could say. He didn't even glance in the younger man's direction as the trio went to Kagome's dressing room.

When Kagome left the pair outside as she changed, there was already an awkward silence between them. A few moments crawled by until Hideto cleared his throat to speak.

"If you get your way..."

"Pardon me?"

"...you'll drag her down, somehow. I'm certain about this."

Though the younger man was not a stranger to Hideto's straightforwardness, he was shocked at the strong words. Hojo didn't manage to meet the older man's eyes but spoke anyway.

"I don't know where you get this from, but you don't seem to understand how much I--"

"Frankly I don't give a shit about you and your deal. Don't get in her way." Lighting another cigarette, Hideto knocked loudly on Kagome's door. "I'm out of here! Have a good night, Baby."

"Going so soon?" Kagome's muffled reply could be heard from inside.

"Yeah, I've got something tomorrow. I'm gonna call tomorrow night, so you'd better be around for it."

"Got it."

"I'm serious-- this one's important! Be available to talk after dinner."

"When have I ever missed your call? Don't worry. G'night, Hide-chan!"

"Bye." While exhaling smoke the rock star began to walk away, completely ignoring Hojo again.

Kagome definitely needed guidance while Hideto resumed his own career. At this point, only one thing could ease his worries, at least a little: next week, she would find a manager.


The Love That Finally Got Through

Those who have attended more than one of Kagome-san's concerts instantly recognize the cute mystery man (pictured left) as one who has tirelessly professed his love for her at each live show. Though his name and age are still a mystery it is now speculated that Kagome-san has finally acknowledged him, having pulling him by the hand backstage on Saturday the 21st (pictured below)! We'll be cheering for both of you, Kagome-san!

With clenched teeth Hideto crumpled up Kagome's latest fan club newsletter into a ball. "What total bullshit," he hissed.

"Hey! That's my souvenir!" Snatching the victimized booklet from his hands she did her best to smooth out the paper. "You didn't have to read it. I didn't ask you to."

"Sue me, I was curious about what your fans were saying about you. Nice to see the club letter's already turned into a gossip magazine."

"Girls eat this stuff up; what's your point?"

In a stuffy building with worn blue carpeting the pair walked down a hallway belonging to the last talent agency they would visit for the day. Though Hideto was dressed casually in his usual jeans and hooded sweatshirt combination Kagome accompanied him in her stage clothing. To solidify her image the rock star had insisted she come dressed this way. So far things looked bleak-- the first two agencies they had visited were not interested in representing another rock act. The last one they had visited loved her music and look but wanted an unreasonably large percentage of her pay. It was too much, even for a nameless act, Hideto insisted.

The meeting that Hideto had scheduled with this agency was easily arranged, but his contacts were adamant about allowing their newest hires a chance to evaluate Kagome. This company's practices were quite unorthodox, but Hideto had already gone through most of his connections. His disbelief at this situation had thrown him. Though Kagome's talent was apparent people were so afraid to take a risk. Fledgling rock bands with attractive male members could draw screaming girls in by the ton, but a female solo act like Kagome raised doubt. Had any of these jerks really paid attention to her concert footage, where she effortlessly commanded the crowd? What was even more unsettling was that he could not stay for this final meeting. Preparations for his band's tour were underway and tonight involved a meeting with a set designer and rehearsals for their first tour date.

As the pair reached a waiting room employees stood and bowed in greeting to Hideto. Two girls, probably waiting for a meeting, gasped aloud as they stared at the rock star and giggled to each other. Kagome smiled at them, inwardly giddy to be accompanying her friend. She glanced at her companion's face and marveled at how cool his expression was while he held the attention of everyone in the room. Could she really be like him?

"Please come this way, Hyde-san, Higurashi-san." A tall woman in a smart black suit bowed deeply as her hands gestured to a room ahead. She then walked ahead of them, announcing their arrival before leaving. With one last deep bow she left them in a small office with one desk and three chairs. On the back wall in this office was a door, probably to a supply closet.

Kagome glanced over to Hideto, who nodded at her in reassurance. With a small breath she bowed to a tall man standing in front of her.

"My name is Higurashi Kagome. Pleased to meet you."

"My, aren't you quite beautiful!"

Hideto raised an eyebrow.

"By all means, if we're going to be working together please just call me Miroku." Instead of bowing the tall, dark-haired man in a blue suit kissed her hand. He then paused, taking time to bow to Hideto. "May I also add that it's quite an honor to meet you, Hyde-sama. I'm so new to this industry yet I now have the opportunity to meet someone like you. Thank you."

"Nice to meet you." The bow was barely returned.

"Now, if you please, Higurashi, may I have your tapes?"

"Sure..." Kagome didn't know what to make of this strange man. Was she being treated informally because of her status? She turned to Hideto, who produced a cassette from a yellow backpack that also carried her street clothes. As she handed it to Miroku he made a point to take both of her hands as they clutched the tape.

"If this isn't the face of a star I don't know what is."

Hideto's eyes narrowed.

"I might be so bold as to say that if your talents are half as stunning as your beauty, My Lady, we'll make a wonderful team." The strange man did not release Kagome's hands, but brought them to his lips one more time.

Now, Kagome was completely lost. Was this even acceptable behavior? She turned, staring helplessly at Hideto, who angrily checked his watch. Was it appropriate to call for help?

"Before I play this, I am compelled to ask you something."

"...Yes?"

"Will you... bear my children?"

Before she could pull her hands away she heard movement behind her. The young woman found herself being yanked away from Miroku.

"THAT'S IT. We're leaving! Kagome, let's get the hell out of here."

"Wait, where are you two going, don't we have a tape to listen to?"

"You've got to be kidding me! What on earth would you have tried to do with Kagome if I hadn't been in the room? How the hell can she trust you when it's pretty obvious that all you're interested in is getting in her pants? We're done here!"

"Whatever are you talking about, Hyde-sama?" With one deft swipe he grabbed Kagome's wrist, holding her steadily.

"Let go of me! Hey, let go of me! Hide-chan, help!"

"Oh dear, 'Hide-chan'? I'm sorry, I had no idea you two had that kind of relationship, please pardon me..."

"We don't! And let go of her, damn you!"

Kagome screamed. Other employees began collecting in doorways, looking strangely... amused?

"What in the fucking hell is going on here?"

The door in Miroku's office flew open and slammed into a wall. Apparently it wasn't a closet.

Immediately the young woman's eyes locked onto a pair of fangs. A youkai? She had never been this close to a real youkai before. Though many had been to her family's shrine she generally kept her distance from visitors. Forgetting about her situation she stared at him, fixating on his angry golden eyes and snowy white hair that waved against his red dress shirt as he yelled. His smooth movements and furious body language would have reminded Kagome of a tiger, had it not been for his most curious feature: the pair of dog ears (were they dog ears?) atop his head.

She wanted to touch them.

"Shit, Miroku, don't tell me this was the four o'clock."

"Of course it was, what's with that-- ow!"

The youkai slapped him on the head. "I knew it. I fucking KNEW I should have met with her instead of you! We're switching duties as of now!" He walked past his colleague and nodded his head to both Hideto and Kagome, as it wasn't customary for youkai to bow to humans. "I apologize for my fucking idiot partner here." With another glare he slapped the back of his coworker's head. "BOW, Stupid!" he hissed. " My name is Inuyasha; sorry to meet like this. Look, as strange as this is gonna sound, this guy means no harm and would never take advantage of his client."

"Nice to meet you anyway. My name is Hyde and this is Higurashi. As rude as this is going to sound, I can't say I'm particularly inclined to believe you," Hideto answered.

"No, that's fair. I'm not gonna sugarcoat some vague bullshit in keigo to pacify you but I can give you my word that this man over here will absolutely not be this girl's manager if you give us another chance. We'll both take care of her, since Idiot Miroku and I are partners, but he can act as more of an agent."

What the hell was wrong with this management company? Kagome stepped back to stand behind Hideto. She watched him think about what he was told before nodding.

"I think I respect your straightforwardness. However, the decision is up to Kagome."

All eyes fell on the young woman as she realized it was her turn to speak. "Ah..."

"Kagome, as much as I hate to rush you I need to leave now. If you're not interested we'll leave in the same car. Otherwise I'll have someone pick you up later."

"Oh, I don't want to be a bother, I can leave with you..."

With a sigh Inuyasha interjected. "Y'think he would have done all this for you if he was worried about something like that? Just make the right decision."

Both Hideto and Kagome were shocked at the youkai's directness. The rock star examined Kagome's face; her lips were turned up in a slight smile as she gazed at Inuyasha. He had his answer.

"Call me when you're done. Oh, and don't you dare sign anything without showing me first." With a pat on the shoulder he handed Kagome her backpack and walked towards the exit. As if programmed to do so everyone except Inuyasha and Kagome bowed deeply as Hideto left.


"Miroku."

There was no answer.

"Hey Idiot!"

Still no answer.

"Hey! Sex Offender!"

Miroku finally replied from the adjacent room. "Yes?"

"Get us some tea."

After Miroku returned and served the drinks, he closed the door to Inuyasha's office behind him.

"So. Your sweaty leather completely reeks. Are you a rock act?"

"I reek?" Kagome couldn't hide her dismay.

Rolling his eyes, Inuyasha snickered. "Don't take it personally, I'm sure your skin smells very nice under there... for a human. You're a rock act, right?"

"Yes..."

Inuyasha's office was similar in size to Miroku's, but was slightly more cluttered with papers. On his wall hung a calendar covered in messy handwriting. On each Sunday of the month the same memo was scratched in red ink across the paper: Buy Ramen.

Kagome was quick to discover how impatient Inuyasha was. "And that's all you have to say? You're just a rock act? Do you play all the instruments yourself or what? What's so special about you?"

Surprisingly, she had never answered these questions before. Staring down at her feet she paused and gave them some thought. For Inuyasha too many seconds crawled by as he watched her facial expressions change while processing a few thoughts.

"Oh! Well, I play guitar and piano, actually. I've got one guy on bass and another guy on drums, too, but I write all of the songs myself."

"Ah." He showed no emotion on his face.

"Um... "

"Yeah?" The hanyou's left ear twitched idly and Kagome stared at it, unable to look away.

They shared a moment of silence as Kagome mustered the will to ask what had been on her mind ever since she first saw him.

"Never mind. It's ridiculous."

"Too late, you already interrupted. What were you gonna say?"

Without a word Kagome stood from her seat, placing both hands on Inuyasha's desk. Leaning forward and reaching with her left hand, she grabbed for his ear.

"They're so cute! Can I touch them?" she started to say, just as her other hand bumped something warm. With a dull clatter Inuyasha's mug emptied itself all over his desk and lap.

"Ow, that's hot! What the HELL, you... you wench! I'll rip your fucking face off!"

Kagome shrieked, grabbing wildly for a napkin. She reached frantically into her backpack in hopes for something to absorb the tea, but was quickly stood up and pushed toward the door.

"In the short amount of time that I've known you I've had this horrible sense of foreboding that I've tried to ignore until now. You've gotta go."

"What? Just like that? You haven't even listened to my tape, or... Hey, why'd you even bother asking for a second chance when--"

"--I don't need to listen to your tape if your charisma onstage matches the bubbly, glittering example I'm witnessing here. Do you mumble like that behind a microphone, too?"

"You jerk!" Kagome slapped at Inuyasha's arm and reached into her backpack, producing her latest concert video. "Watch this before kicking me out!"

"Why should I? You're obviously worthless when that Hyde guy's not here to talk for you!"

Reaching into her backpack again, Kagome produced her demo cassette and flung it into Inuyasha's face.

"Keep it!"

As he growled, knocking it out of the way Kagome dove for a nearby VCR, pulling a video of her concert with her. She shoved the tape into the player. "I'm not worthless! Why are you suddenly being a jerk?" Just as she turned on the television she was lifted off the ground; Inuyasha slung her small body over one shoulder as he moved to exit the room.

A scream from the television speaker shook him. He was at first confused that such a voice could send a shiver down his spine. Pausing in his tracks, as the hanyou was about to throw Kagome out the door, he turned to the video in shock. He stood there, entranced by such a stage presence while the real Kagome remained curled over his shoulder. She'd been classically trained. Such was clear in the way she controlled her pitch so well-- even in a heated moment! However, Inuyasha noticed two other distinct things. First, while Kagome's control was formidable her vocal style was even more so-- it was gritty and passionate. Next, her playing was amazingly intricate. The riffs she played did not slow down, and their difficulty did not ease as she sang. Even the most experienced performers had to carefully juggle these things.

Would a person with this amount of skill really be his to represent? As he watched the audience explode at her feet he had a passing realization that Kagome was still hanging over his shoulder and put her down, slowly.

"Please... you're my last chance today," she finally murmured.

"Hm?"

"You like what you're watching, don't you?"

He paused. Was it really that obvious? "Sing something for me."

"What should I sing?"

"Hm." He was dying to see what her voice could do. "Sing the song we just watched, but in the style of a ballad."

She stared at him, a little wary of his intent. "Sure... pop or rock ballad?"

Inuyasha tried his best to look indifferent. "Uh, pop, I guess."

Clearing her throat first, Kagome sang the first verse in a slower tempo, embellishing notes in the last line. Before she could continue with the second verse Inuyasha stopped her.

"Thank you, that's all I need to hear." His tone was cold and dismissive but he was blown away by how easily she removed herself from the rock style. He forgot about his soaked pants and desk. In front of him stood a fledgling goddess masked in black makeup and leather. At least that's what he wanted to think. Part of him always remained skeptical, though. " I want to know whether or not I can be confident in selling you to people. I need to be able to trust that your skills are consistent and would like to go to a couple of your shows."

Kagome's face brightened. "Absolutely! If you want we could even have dinner beforehand, and get to know each other!"

"No, just tell me the places and times," he replied flatly. "I don't have time to stay through it all."

"Oh. Sure... Let me have your cell phone number."


With a sigh, Kagome stepped out of the women's restroom and headed for an elevator. Though she liked how she looked in leather it didn't breathe well. Thankful for the change of clothes she brought, she had cleaned up in a washroom, shedding her leather bustier and pants for a short denim skirt, gray t-shirt with screen print, and white coat. The tall black boots she wore with her leather outfit looked classier with these clothes as their clicking heels echoed in the brightly lit hallway.

As she entered the elevator so many impressions swirled in her head as she thought of Inuyasha. She was unsure as to whether or not the meeting had been successful, mostly in thanks to his short fuse and strange demeanor. He and Miroku made a ridiculous pair. Could they handle Kagome's needs in a professional manner?

"Second floor." The automated voice broke Kagome out of her reverie. Looking up, she gasped a little as Inuyasha entered. The young woman immediately stared back down at her feet, bowing a little as he stood to her side. Once the doors closed she could feel his eyes on her.

A clawed hand reached over her, pressing a button. It paused before pressing one more; the car didn't move. Odd, it should have done something by now. Before Kagome could examine the console she felt a hand sliding down her back. Inuyasha spoke quietly to her from behind, whispering softly into her ear.

"Sorry, I can't control myself when I see a lady in boots. Say you'll have a drink with me."

At first, Kagome could only squeak in response. Really, what was wrong with this company and its employees? His arms snaked around her waist, hands resting on her belly, as he pulled her against him.

"Inuyasha-san... even if I wanted to get a drink I'm not twenty yet and I'm kinda seeing someone right now."

"Wha--"

As suddenly as he had grabbed her he pushed her away from him, dashing to the other side of the elevator.

"Hi-Higurashi? But you smell completely different! Damn all of you humans for looking alike!"

"You thought I was... we don't all look alike, what's wrong with you?"

"I don't know what the hell came over me," Inuyasha retorted, "because you do NOT look sexy."

The nerve of that guy! Were all youkai as rude as he was? "You don't have to go so far as to insult me just because you... no, you know what? I don't even want to know what would have happened if I hadn't said anything. If you treat your talent like this I don't want anything to do with you!"

"Shut up, it's not like that! I made a mistake."

"I bet you're only calling it a mistake because you aren't getting any ass! Ten seconds ago you were about to attack me!"

"Hey! Hot chicks love when I treat them like that. I take girls to hotels all the time like this; what do you know?"

"I'm a hot chick. I think I know plenty."

"You idiot! If I'd have known it were you... You've got an actual brain and marketable skills! I can't just fuck girls like you."

Kagome's mouth opened to yell again, but paused. "That had better be a compliment." Her reply was quiet. There were so many other things she wanted to yell about but her surprise at such extreme words and this disturbing situation kept her silent. She just wanted to leave.

"Keh."

The young woman grunted in response, pushing a button to start the elevator. "So, that was your intent, then. Using poor girls for sex like that, what a jerk."

"Don't be naive! A girl like that is after the same thing. And if she's not that kind of girl it's not like I won't find out in the first ten seconds." If Kagome hadn't been as disgusted as she was, she would have found a bit of humor in the way Inuyasha flailed, explaining himself. "Anyway, did you call Hyde yet?"

"Why, think I'm gonna tell him all about what you just did? Don't flatter yourself."

A growl escaped from between Inuyasha's clenched teeth. "I can give you a ride home if you haven't. That's all."

"Oh?"

"I want us to be even." Looking away, Inuyasha folded his arms.

"I don't know," Kagome answered, "I can't help but wonder if I'll get sexually assaulted on the way home."

"You little smart ass..." Inuyasha stood over her, growling.

"First floor."

Kagome's possible demise was interrupted by the elevator's electronic voice as the doors opened. Past a trio of very confused-looking salary men she ran out into the lobby, trying her best not to scream. Before she left the building she turned, waving to the white-haired youkai.

"I'll give you a call next week, you jerk!"

As she disappeared from sight Inuyasha chuckled to himself. Her heart sounded like it was trying to beat its way out of her chest in the elevator. Despite her obvious fear of him she was still willing to work with him.

This was going to be interesting.


Seated next to a large window at a warmly lit restaurant in Harajuku, To the Herbs, Kagome tapped her toe impatiently. Across the room at a bar sat Shippo, watching her with a bit of pity in his eyes. This situation was disgustingly familiar.

There was no doubt as to why Hojo picked out this place. In the evening the restaurant's massive window glowed against its warm brown decor with deep, clear blue light from the dimming sky outside. He knew Kagome had an affinity for gazing out of windows-- it was no secret to anyone who knew her. This window overlooked Harajuku station from three floors up. On this wet, overcast evening people swarmed across the street, pouring into a massive crosswalk. A few umbrellas moved through the crowd like flowers floating along a river.

What the pop star was worried about was if she would get out of this place without problems. When they discovered upon arrival that Hojo's choice was directly across from a major train station and directly above a popular clothing store Kagome shook her head, worried about how they would leave the area. Though she hid her face under dark sunglasses, clinging to Shippo's arm as they walked through the district, the plan was to reveal her identity as usual once Hojo showed up.

In addition to these things, Harajuku was a bit of a strange place to visit for the express purpose of sitting in a random mid-priced restaurant. Next time she would leave the responsibility of choosing a cafe or restaurant to Inuyasha and Yuka. They had chosen previous places with comfort and practicality in mind.

Poor Hojo. He had always been a strange mix of caring and negligence, and it showed through especially in times like this. This was one thing that endlessly confused Kagome, but she felt inclined to forgive so much because his intent was innately good. Unfortunately, though, it was almost as if he focused so much on his good deeds that he had no awareness of the inconvenience they often became to others. His botched engagement party in Cebu was a prime example of this, easily serving as one of the last straws for Kagome.

With this in mind, where the hell was he? Kagome checked her watch again. He was supposed to show up nearly an hour ago, but was missing. This was classic. Rolling her eyes, the annoyed young woman produced her cell phone and called Hojo. Right before Kagome would reach his voicemail the phone was answered.

"Kagome! What's up?"

She felt her eyebrow twitch. "What the hell do you mean, 'what's up'? I've been here for almost an hour now!"

" But I have that commercial shoot with NHK today--"

"--GOD DAMN IT." Clapping her phone shut, Kagome stood from her seat. No longer mindful of any stares she stalked to the front counter to pay her bill and rushed out of the restaurant while Shippo frantically followed her.

"Kagome, what the hell," Shippo jogged to catch up to his boss as she stomped through the shopping district. She was on the warpath again, which meant she would act recklessly if left alone. Trying his best to hide Kagome's face he wrapped an arm around her shoulders, leading her to the car. "If you end up on the news again Inuyasha's going to kill us both! Calm down!"

She was quick to do so after hearing his words. Pressing her sunglasses against her face even in the dark, she let Shippo lead her down the street.

"Just where the hell do you think you were even going, anyway?"

"I need to get to Shibuya."

"Shibuya again?" Groaned Shippo. "No offense. How do I know you won't go pulling another insane stunt there? It's after dark, now, too. All of the kids'll be in and out of clubs."

"Because we’re going to the NHK building."


He'd become more irritable than usual. He wouldn't last like this.

It had been a while since Inuyasha had spoken to Kagome in person. Since their awkward voyeuristic encounter at her apartment it was difficult for the two of them to be alone. Even in talking on the phone there was now a sense of distance in their conversations.

Though the things they talked about were no different than before the image of Kagome, naked and panting Inuyasha's name remained vivid every time he heard her voice. Kagome knew this. She could sense it every time they'd spoken after the incident.

Sighing, Inuyasha rolled to his side as he lay in the center of the bed in his quiet bedroom. Faintly Kagome's voice hung in the background. His favorite song of hers, a ballad called Monochrome Android, meandered from his bedroom speakers as he thought of her.

God, he loved this song. It was so difficult to sing. Kagome had a hard time singing it perfectly during live performances, but each time she did it was a testament to her tenacity and skill. In the rare instance that she missed a note, it became a testament as to how she still needed Inuyasha. He would express his disapproval, scold her, and she'd work harder next time.

The MTV Asia awards were next week. Rehearsals for Kagome's performance and award presentation with Hojo were going well. Two days later Inuyasha and Kagome would head to Las Vegas, where she would perform for some Sony executives at a party. This was in hopes of signing a recording deal with their American label. There was so much for Kagome to do in such a short period of time-- fortunately this amount of work wasn't anything new to her.

Usually Inuyasha loved this time. His job was easier when he was busy yelling at Kagome and pushing her forward into each obligation. Now, however, he was pensive about the upcoming ordeal. Would the uneasiness between them overshadow everything else?

"This sucks," he moaned. There was really nothing for him to do right now so he stewed in these thoughts. Restless, he stood and wandered into the hallway.

His feet had carried him to Kagome's guest room. No part of the hanyou protested as he slowly entered, sighing at the traces of her scent. He missed her. Sitting down slowly onto the bed he recalled the first time they shared a kiss here. She was sobbing so sweetly in his arms as she clung to him. The fact that the young woman looked so cute when she cried was what threw him off when she suddenly brought her lips to his. When neither of them pulled away it was as if a floodgate had opened between the two of them. Things had not returned to normal since. As vainly as he struggled to make things platonic between them, they became even more involved due to their lack of self-control.

Kagome's strongest trait was her ability to learn and adapt. As naturally as they seemed to come her talents had been earned through practice and hard work. She was second to none in that respect-- nobody could match her tenacity. The pop star had always jumped into things with blatant disregard for her health or fatigue. To her, consequences along the way were easily forgettable once she achieved her goals. It was amazing to Inuyasha, but also sad to watch in other aspects of her life. Lately it had become clear that Kagome dealt with love with the same recklessness. Unfortunately her approach wasn't working; she'd hurt herself more than anything.

Lying down on his side Inuyasha pulled a pillow to his chest, burrowing his face into it as he thought of her. Her scent was faint as he inhaled, closing his eyes with a blissful expression. He wanted to help her. Kagome was hurting; it was his job to ease her burdens. How could he do it? How could he soothe her unruliness, stopping her from jumping through these stupid hoops for Hojo and debasing herself when she was alone with him?

She wouldn't be going this far if I'd just reciprocate. Or did she go this far because I did? The original reason why Inuyasha had ever held back was out of respect to Kagome's relationship. Now she no longer behaved like a woman who was taken, and certainly not like someone in love. Whatever tied her to Hojo wasn't tied tightly enough.

Perhaps a little honesty was what Kagome needed. Regretting how he'd previously scolded her, Inuyasha decided to finally give her what she wanted.


"I'm sorry. I have no excuse for this, Hojo-san. Of all the things to go wrong I wouldn't have expected that the VTR would be without any videotape. I could have sworn it was ready when we started." The director of the commercial bowed with one hand behind his neck as he spoke, embarrassed about the whole situation. "We'll take a little break while all of the equipment is checked this time."

Hojo couldn't wipe the worried look from his face. It was just his bad luck, he figured, that on the night Kagome called, angry, the need for a reshoot would arise.

His manager chimed in. "Please hurry. We all want to go home." Crossing her arms, Yuka left the room to buy a canned coffee.

In an empty hallway the heels of her pumps clicked against white linoleum at a leisurely pace. Locating the drink machine Yuka stopped, opening her change purse. The jingling of coins was soon drowned out by hurried footsteps from two pairs of shoes. Curious as to what the commotion was about the short-haired woman turned her head towards the sound, gasping at what she saw.

Yuka dropped her coin purse. "Hi-Higurashi-san?"

"Hayashi-san," Kagome answered in a low voice. "Where is he?" She didn't need to be told out loud. Yuka's worried glance towards a door at the end of the hall gave enough information.

"Higurashi-san, you can't just barge in there!"

"Kagome! Calm down, damn it!"

Without breaking her stride Kagome pointed to a red light next to the door. "The light's not on. Nobody's shooting a damned thing right now."

"Higurashi!" Running to catch up, Yuka grabbed Kagome's arm and yanked. "Please... please don't! Just leave him alone!"

"Ow, that hurt!" Surprised at the sudden use of force the pop star tried to shake herself from Yuka's grasp. "Let me go!"

"Ladies..."

"Higurashi, just fucking leave him alone for once! Let him work!" Yuka screamed. Tugging with all of her strength, she pulled Kagome to the ground and fell with her.

Shippo could only stare at the women on the floor. Hojo and a couple of crew members interrupted a few seconds of stunned silence as they barged into the hallway, curious about the commotion.

"Kagome? Yuka? What's going on?"

"Why don't you tell me?" Kagome snapped as she stood. "We agreed to meet tonight and you've got the damned nerve to stand me up again like it's no big deal?"

Stammering, Hojo looked around at everyone else. "That... can't be right... I told Yuka to tell Inuyasha to cancel because of the shoot..." Before he could continue, the director screamed, suddenly kneeling down in front of Yuka.

"Hey, you! What is this?" On the ground next to her lay a videotape covered in stickers reading, Property of NHK. He grabbed it, angrily waving the tape in front of Yuka's face. "What the hell are you doing with this?"

Hojo's manager was visibly trembling. With panic clearly in her movements she scooted to her feet. Mangled film fell from beneath her coat as she stood.

"Hojo-kun," Yuka managed.

"I'm sure this is a misunderstanding, right Yuka?" Hojo smiled, placing a hand on the director's shoulder to calm him.

"Your manager keeps NHK production footage in her jacket pocket? Who the hell even let her into the control room?"

Hojo's smile didn't waver. "I'm sure there's an explanation."

Kagome and Shippo looked at each other, and then back at Yuka.

Balling her fist, she finally spoke. "Everything... it's all my fault." Wiping tears from her face, she continued. "I... I absolutely despise Higurashi. I'm sorry. I've tried to deny it for so long but I can't. Hojo-kun, can't you see that she doesn't care about you as much as I do?"

"Hayashi-san, please don't speak like you know me," Kagome began to say.

"Shut up! Compare yourself to me. I spend every waking moment of my life juggling the details of his life for him-- where he's going to go, who he's going to talk to, what he's going to do. When we're not together I'm usually doing something for him if I'm not bathing, eating or sleeping."

"Of course," interrupted Shippo. "Because that's your friggin' job."

"Why do you think I took the job, Genius? The moment I met him I knew I wanted to be near him as much as possible. You take him for granted, Higurashi. I guess it's because practically every man you interact with is beautiful or sexy."

"Yuka, please stop..." Hojo was afraid to come near her; unsure as to how she would react.

Placing her hands over her mouth, she hiccupped a few times, completely unable to stop her tears now. "Hojo-kun. I can't lie to you anymore! I never called to reschedule tonight's date. All of your ruined dates are... they were ruined because I interfered. Higurashi always steals our time together!"

Kagome gripped Shippo's arm tightly.

"I just wanted to be around you. Sometimes it was as easy as messing up a meeting time, but I knew that I'd be found out if that's all that ever happened. Once when I was desperate I ripped the film out of a camera at a photo shoot when nobody was looking. After that it became so easy to do-- an unplugged Triax cable, missing props..."

"You've gotta be kidding me," Kagome murmured beneath her breath.

"You made me feel happy to do things for you. Like my life wasn't worthless. You know what I love about you the most, Hojo-kun? You genuinely care about people. You're not perfect when you do, but you always try to make everyone happy." Yuka reached underneath her collar. With a strong tug a gold chain came off of her neck. "Even in this horrible situation you didn't jump to conclusions. You gave me a chance to talk, which was why I can't lie anymore. Not to you. You're so sincere about everything you do."

The shorthaired brunette took one of Kagome's hands, closing her fingers around a small, thick object. "This is rightfully yours."

Raising an eyebrow Kagome slowly opened her palm. In its center sat a gold band she'd never seen before, swathed in a diagonal arrangement of square-cut diamonds.

Hojo examined it in disbelief. He looked back at Yuka with a distressed face. "You stole this, Yuka?"

"What is this?" Kagome looked at Hojo, and then at his manager. When she was not given an answer she looked back down at the ring.

Yuka could only manage to sob after that. Unable to speak anymore, she glanced at Hojo one last time before running away. Once the sound of her footsteps had faded Hojo finally spoke.

"This was your original engagement ring."


He didn't realize he'd fallen asleep. Inuyasha finally awakened to frantic sounds in his entryway, but the rhythm of the footsteps was familiar.

"Kagome," he breathed. He didn't realize how badly he wanted to see her until she showed up. Just before the hanyou rushed to meet her he paused, remembering what he had decided before dozing off. He knew how he was going to greet her.

"Gross. My breath..."

Almost giddily, he dashed to the bathroom. He would make this perfect. Temporarily ignoring Kagome as she called for him, he hurriedly grabbed some mouthwash and rinsed a little. Before leaving the room he also checked his appearance in the mirror and sniffed, making sure he smelled okay.

"Inuyasha! I don't know what to think. You won't believe what happened." Kagome's footsteps were loud as she climbed the stairs and rushed towards his bedroom. "Inuyasha?"

As soon as she saw nobody there, she turned around, abruptly colliding with her manager's chest.

"It's been a while." Inuyasha steadied her, placing his hands on her shoulders.

"Y-yeah..." There was something strange in his tone and expression. For a moment she'd completely forgotten why she came over.

A moment was all he needed. With his left hand he cupped one side of her face, and with his right he caressed her cheek. Her expression was at first surprised and soon worried, but she did not move.

"Oh? Did... something happen?" His expression was so calm that she didn't know what to say to him.

He didn't answer. Both of his hands softly grasped either side of Kagome's face. Closing his eyes Inuyasha bent, kissing her gently. With wide eyes she looked at him, stunned at his serious face. He kissed her again. It didn't take long for her eyes to close and her arms to snake around his waist. She returned his kiss with quivering lips.

"Kagome," Inuyasha sighed before kissing her once more. His hands moved lower, pressing her to him as they met behind her back. "I wanted to see you."

She could feel her heart sinking as she continued to kiss him, but she couldn't bring herself to break away. Not now. For Inuyasha to initiate something like this, it must have taken a lot of resolve. I don't deserve this, she lamented. Though she didn't know what to do, she knew exactly where she wanted to be.


Notes:

Eh. I feel like I fought through a lot of this chapter and it probably shows. I really want to revise it some more but it’s been too long. Will consider it later. Figured it was best to put up the whole thing despite how unsatisfied I am with a couple of parts.

Tomorrow night I’ll update the web site (www. pinku. net/fadeflare. Remove the spaces!) with a new drawing and notes for this chapter. Holy crap, I read that description I wrote about Shibuya for chapter 1-- am totally going to fix that as well, since it’s not that informative. o.o;

Take care, you guys! As always, thank you for reading.