InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fade and Flare ❯ Chapter 15 Part 1 ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

I guess I never said this before, but Inuyasha is the property of Rumiko Takahashi, Shonen Sunday, and more companies I'm too lazy to look up.

­­Fade and Flare

Chapter 15 (Part 1)

Inuyasha (at least the anime, anyway) is copyright Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan, Yomiuri Terebi, and Sunrise 2000.


Notes:

Ahhh, I wanted to avoid this, but I don’t think I can anymore. Not if I want to keep bringing you guys more stuff to read, anyway without making you wait FOREVER. Sigh.

For the regular chapters (not counting that Christmas special or the short lemon chapters) I really valued presenting them in full segments. A chapter in this story is a set of milestones-- events that happen in sequences that I want to present together. Chapters aren't finished to me until all the events I need to happen occur within them.

...and this chapter isn't done yet! So I'm going to have to split it in half. You guys have been waiting patiently for so long. So...


"Inuyasha, I need to watch this! I need to see his face when he talks." Kagome fought off her manager and forced her way to the couch, taking a seat in between Sango and Shippo.

"Keh! Fine." Folding his arms, Inuyasha sank down onto a chair, across from Miroku. "To think that bastard wouldn't even fucking call us about this press conference. That shithead is dead to me. If I were driving and saw him crossin' the street I wouldn't brake."

"Now, now, Inuyasha," chuckled Miroku uneasily as he turned on Kagome's television. "I would go so far as to say that you possessed the same inclinations long before this fiasco started."

"WROOONG!" barked Inuyasha, pouring five cups of green tea. He stood to hand one to Kagome, kissing her forehead. "It woulda' made her cry, Jackass." The young woman in question blushed, blowing into her cup to cool her tea.

"We've got to be delicate about this, Inuyasha," said Sango, leaning back for a moment to cross her legs. "You know what kind of a person Yuka is. It's no real surprise that she went so far as to hold a press conference without asking Kagome to participate. We need to stay on their good side to get out of this, so no death threats from you, all right?"

"Ah, Sango, so beautiful and wise. She's right," hummed Miroku, winking at her as he sipped his tea. Frowning, Sango took a cup from Inuyasha, gulping quickly. With a sudden yelp she quickly deposited the cup onto the coffee table, fanning her tongue.

Inuyasha rolled his eyes. "Well, we're practically fucked already. If we have to contradict a thing he says tonight y'think anyone's going to take a press conference from Kagome seriously? Aren't you the least bit bothered that our entire game plan relies on what Shithead says on the news tonight? We're depending on the WORST person for anyone to depend on."

"Well, if we contradict him people might question him, too." interrupted Shippo. "Oh, and commercials're over."

Squeaking, Kagome clung to Sango's arm as they watched the T.V.

Welcome back to NHK News. On today's Celeb Watch we continue our coverage of the Platinum Pair.

"She's hot," murmured Miroku, who grinned at the newscaster, a petite woman in her thirties with long, straight hair.

"SHH!"

Footage of Kagome's latest music video played, with a caption at the bottom of the screen: Higurashi Kagome-san (23). Biting her lip, Kagome felt uneasy. She stared at the lower half of the screen, fixating on her name and age in such sterile looking white letters. Various shots of her music videos and commercials flashed in a montage as the announcer continued.

On last week's MTV Asia Awards it slipped that popular musician Higurashi Kagome-san and actor Hojo had been secretly engaged. After public speculation about fighting between the couple, this came as a shock to some fans.

It should be no surprise that Higurashi Kagome-san's sudden disappearance and photos appearing in this week's Shunkan Shicho have made waves in the entertainment industry. In response to photos of Higurashi-san with a male youkai identified to be an employee, a press conference was held this morning, with Hojo's manager, Hayashi Yuka-san issuing a prepared statement.

"Wait, what? That deranged bitch gets to talk?" growled Inuyasha. His eyes darted to Kagome, whose hand rest over her mouth as she watched the screen. "Where the fuck is that dickless ex-boy of yours?"

"He's behind her," answered Kagome a little quietly, pointing to a spot near Yuka's shoulder where half of Hojo's face could be seen. The shorthaired man stared down into his lap as flashbulbs strobed around them.

"Hojo is unable to speak for himself, as this has come to be quite a shock," Yuka began, casting a concerned gaze over Hojo, who glared, avoiding eye contact with his manager.

"I knew it--" Inuyasha began to say.

"That... cunt! She's going down! Why doesn't that candyass have a backbone?" Yelled Sango, who stood and shook a fist at the television. Shocked, Miroku's eyes darted to the stylist's wild expression while Kagome pulled on her arm, coaxing her friend back to the couch. Even Inuyasha was a little startled at the outburst, enough to calm down.

"She is his backbone," Kagome mumbled. She returned her focus to Hojo who still looked angry as he stared at the ground. Please, the young woman begged inwardly, please tell me you didn't let her do this!

"While he will need some time to recover from this situation, Hojo still forgives Higurashi-san but is no longer able to prolong his relationship with her."

When the news report ended Shippo covered his forehead with his palms, leaning into the back of the couch. "That's bullshit! This is crap! What the hell do we even do about this?"

"First and foremost, we hire building security," answered Miroku. "Not just for this place, but for the Higurashi Shrine, too."

"Yeah. Fucking reporters are gonna have a field day hounding everyone if we don't call right now," continued Inuyasha, who refilled Kagome's tea. "I already feel sorry for your old lady and the shrine's patrons."

"Immediately, then." Miroku stood, retrieving his cell phone as he headed into another room.

"Actually," Sango chimed in, nudging herself out of Kagome's grip to follow the agent. "I'll go coordinate with you. I'd feel better if my younger brother's guys took care of this place."

With a raised eyebrow Miroku continued, heading for Kagome's music room. "Sango, are my charms finally wearing you down? Must you be near me this badly?"

"Hardly," she growled. "Our family business is relevant to this. Get that straight."

Inuyasha's cell phone was already dialing Yuka as Shippo stood, patting Kagome on the head.

"I wish I had important people to call, but the best I can do for you is wait until you need me."

"No, that's fine," she answered. "It was so sweet of you to come over today." Reaching into her purse, she handed Shippo twenty thousand yen. "Take Satsuki out to dinner."

"You don't have to do that, you know. Kagome... we're like family, right?" He tried to hand back the bills but Kagome folded her arms.

"Of course, Shippo-chan," laughed Kagome. "And that's why you should take that. I know from experience how sad it is to lose your boyfriend to his work. Go be with Satsuki-chan, and Inuyasha will call you if I need you."

"All right, you win. I'm off!" With a wink Shippo retrieved his keys from an end table and waved goodbye as he put on his shoes in the entryway.

As Inuyasha paced, waiting for Yuka to pick up, Kagome's cell phone rang. She raised an eyebrow, before snatching it up and heading to her bedroom when she read a name on its LCD display: Hojo.

--

"Hayashi, you bitch! Who the fuck do--"

"Oh, it's The Mutt. So how is she in bed, everything you dreamed of? Sweet and timid, and boring as hell, or a mind-blowing kinky slut?"

"Quit fantasizing about Kagome. I'd suggest that you sucked Hojo's dick to get him to shut up during that press conference, but you and I both know he's not into men."

"Go to hell!" It sounded like Yuka had pounded her fist on some hard surface. "What the hell do you think calling me's gonna do for you guys, anyway?"

"I'm wonderin' where the hell your common decency went! Kagome's not stealing your precious time with that bumbling tool you wish was a boyfriend, so why the lies? What the hell is this going to get you now?"

With a shrill laugh that caused Inuyasha's ears to flick uncomfortably Yuka answered. "Are you high? A real manager would jump at the opportunity to propel her client's popularity. How could you not figure that out?"

"The thought never occurred to me, seeing as Kagome's legitimately talented." Inuyasha was grinning to himself as he listened to her seethe.

"Hojo's amazing, you bastard. What the hell do you know about acting?"

"If I had to guess, I'd say about as little as he knows." The hanyou sighed, seating himself on Kagome's couch to drink some tea. "Look, Hayashi, it's no secret that I think your Hojo's a shit-for-brains but even I wouldn't hurt that kind of client in the way you're about to. What the hell kind of phony popularity are you gonna get by making him look like a loser who can't even keep his girl?"

"As we speak his fanclub is already up in arms about how they're going to comfort their dear idol, who has been so unfairly wronged. It hasn't even been ten minutes since that news broadcast and already we've been called by two studios."

"Fuck it, what do I care what you do to your own talent? But you'd better take steps to curb that shitstorm you're about to cause or you and your precious boy are gonna have to contend with a defamation suit," the half demon growled, a little relieved that Kagome had left the room.

"In that case let's see whose word stands up against who's in court, Hanyou."

Clapping the phone shut, Inuyasha resisted the urge to throw it, gulping down his tea.

"'The fuck does she get off callin' me 'Hanyou' like it's supposed to be an insult, anyway?" he mumbled. "That's just as retarded as me calling her, 'Human'. Keh!" Ruffling his own hair he stood and paced a little, ears swiveling towards muffled sounds of conversation coming from the music room. A pensive voice came from Kagome's room, in the opposite direction. Pausing a moment, he gazed at her doorway down the hall before heading over there.

"Please. Don't go out on your own and make any of this 'right' for me." The young woman rolled her eyes as Hojo spoke. "No! Just stay out of it!" She paused, suddenly startled to see Inuyasha sitting next to her. When he draped an arm around her waist she leaned into the hanyou. "I'm not your business anymore!" Kagome yelled sharply, as if interrupting. "And if you mention me at all on T.V. or the radio without my permission I will NEVER forgive you. Do you forget the things I said to you when we broke up? When will you understand?"

Inuyasha's ears twitched as he tried to pick up what Hojo was saying. He didn't have the chance to make out any words before Kagome interrupted.

"Just leave me alone," she said with a breathy sigh. She ended the call and placed her phone on the nightstand.

Without a word Inuyasha took her hand, pulling her onto his lap. He cradled her small body, resting her head on his shoulder while he kissed her cheek.

"I don't know what to do about him," she groaned, nuzzling into Inuyasha as he held her. She shifted, wrapping her arms around his body and raised her chin towards him when he moved to kiss it.

"We'll take care of it," the hanyou answered softly, leaning back to lay Kagome against her pillows. He slid down to join her, lying on his side to rest one arm across her waist.

"I know... I believe in you." Turning to face him, the young woman curled up against his chest, burying her face into his body as she slipped her arms around his waist. "We all count on you."

"But..." He didn't continue or elaborate, unable to find the right words as she pressed a kiss to his chest. The hanyou's fingers moved to her cheeks, bringing her lips against his to taste. A hand pressed into her waist to pull her closer, and he laid kisses down along her neck.

"Necking is what got you silly kids into trouble, you know."

"Eep!" Kagome jumped to her feet in shock. A corner of Inuyasha's mouth twitched, his exposed fang glinting as he raised his head to stare at the doorway.

With arms crossed, Sango took a step back moving further into the hallway when both Inuyasha and Kagome left her bedroom. As the four adults walked to Kagome's music room Sango coughed, cheeks slightly red after the awkward moment.

"Sorry, you guys." Kagome was also blushing, exchanging glances with Sango. "Got a little carried away."

"Completely understandable, Kagome-sama. I know that... unquenchable desire to be with someone." Miroku chuckled, taking advantage of the moment to place his arm around Sango's shoulders. "Firsthand."

Sango blushed, moved as if she were going to hit Miroku, broke away from him, and rushed to a different corner of the room. "We'll just be on our way soon, seeing as I need to head downstairs and wait for my brother and his guys to get here. Miroku and I will set them up with a list of your current VIPs."

"You can get a hold of Sango, me, or her brother. Dearest Sango, please give Kagome-sama your younger brother's cell phone number?"

"Right here," Sango picked up a small slip of paper from a table and pressed it into Kagome's hand. "Anyway, call any of us to make changes to the VIP list when you need to."

"Thank you so much, you guys."


"I'm so sorry about this, Mama," Kagome sighed, feet propped up on her coffee table as Inuyasha massaged her ankle. "A lot of things have been happening, and I meant to tell you about them all." She chewed a piece of celery, embarrassment heavy on her face as she watched live footage of her childhood home on television. A jumble of suits, microphones, and cameras clamored. Police officers and members of the security staff that Sango and Miroku hired formed a human barrier at the steps of her family Shrine, blocking a horde of reporters and camera crews.

"On one hand, I've been hearing from Inuyasha-kun about Hojo-kun, so I knew you weren't doing so well. But Kagome, it would have been nice to hear this from you."

"I understand and I'm sorry. There's no excuse." Kagome took a moment to squeeze her boyfriend's arm, silently thanking him for the massage. "But at the very least, I can promise that if you hear something from Inuyasha, it's as good as hearing it from me."

Mrs. Higurashi could only laugh. "I suppose that's right. In a way Inuyasha-kun actually tells me a little more than you could ever say. But don’t think I wouldn't prefer to hear my daughter's voice once in a while, either!"

Kagome's eyebrow rose as someone on T.V. managed to wrestle his way out of the crowd and up a few steps. She winced as he was tackled to the ground and dragged off-screen.

"He's... an excellent manager, isn't he?"

The younger Higurashi smiled at Inuyasha, squeezing his hand and bringing it up to her lips. "Yes, Mama." Caught off guard, his ears twitched, and her boyfriend blushed while taking a seat next to her on the couch. She suppressed a gasp as he nipped at her earlobe, trying to concentrate on her phone conversation. Kagome finally shook herself out of her thoughts despite the pair of strong hands now running up along her back. "Oh, that's right..."

"What's right?"

"If any of you need to go out, just tell the men at the door. They'll get a driver and escort you out the side entrance. And if there's anything else you need, give Inuyasha or me a call. Okay, Mama?"

"That's very kind of you, Dear. Listen, I've got to get dinner prepared. Jii-chan needs to eat before getting ready for bed."

"Okay, I'll talk to you later!" Tossing her cell phone onto the coffee table, Kagome groaned. "God, Inuyasha, how dare you!"

"What?" For the second time his ears twitched, and the half demon raised an eyebrow. "I wasn't doing anything!"

With a soft laugh, Kagome stretched against his body. "If not keeping your hands off of me means the same thing as 'not doing anything', right?" She pressed her lips against his jawbone. "Making me feel so good while I'm trying to have a coherent conversation? That's so cruel!"

He grinned, pecking her on the forehead. "Yeah, I'm pretty terrible."

Kagome laughed again. "You know what's terrible? The whole time we've been home, we've been cooped up in here."

"Well, duh," Inuyasha answered. "It'd be stupid to go out right now."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." She bit her lip. "But I can't deny that a change of scenery might be calming right about now."

Voices of the television announcers buzzed in the background as the pair silently lay together. Longingly, Kagome glanced at the screen once more and looked back at Inuyasha, flattening her lips together. He frowned in response, shrugging his shoulders.

Minutes passed by in the same silence. As Inuyasha massaged her back, Kagome played with his shirt collar, and the couple gazed at the T.V., gradually losing interest when the news changed topics. The sedate aura of the room was suddenly broken when a commercial screamed, "Pizza-La!" forcing Inuyasha to raise his head quickly.

"Junk food," Kagome gasped sadly, reaching towards the screen for emphasis.

Inuyasha began to moan in response, but stopped himself as his girlfriend stared quizzically at him.

"Konomi-pan," she whispered, before lying her head back down. "Ooh! Soba pan..."

"Konomi? Do they even have okonomiyaki pan anywhere near here?"

"I don't know, but they definitely have cheese cream pan..."

Damn it, she was too good at pushing his buttons.

"Hey. Got any extra hats?" His stomach gurgled.

"Um... yes?"

"Wanna maybe... hit a convenience store? Just real quick."

Kagome didn't even allow Inuyasha to finish speaking before leaping up to find some hats in a cabinet. "Yes, please." She returned, tossing a black trucker cap to her boyfriend and began gathering her hair, preparing to wear most of it under her own hat.

"Sunglasses," he mumbled, tying his hair into a ponytail.

"Yours are with your wallet and keys," Kagome answered, heading to her coffee table. She picked up a large pair of round sunglasses, putting them on, and rushed over to the entryway.

"Call up Sango's little brother and let him know what we're up to."

"Already dialing Kouhaku-kun," laughed Kagome, as she looked for a comfortable pair of shoes.


"Kouhaku-kun, it's been forever since I've seen you. Wow, I can't believe you're already twenty!"

"Thanks again for the birthday present you sent, Kagome-nee-san. It's nice to see you." Raising a hand to stop Kagome and Inuyasha as they approached him, the tall young man with freckles and short black hair gestured to his two assistants to follow him. They'd decided to head through a back exit of the building used by maintenance workers and other employees. The trio disappeared out a door to inspect things while Kagome and Inuyasha waited, and returned again.

"You look so cool in a black suit, Kouhaku-kun." Kagome smiled as one of Kouhaku's employees, a man with bleached hair and a Hawaiian shirt led her to the sidewalk.

"Nee-san, don’t tease me like that," laughed Kouhaku. He nodded towards Inuyasha to follow. "Are you sure you just don't want us to drive you? It'd be safer, you know."

"Yeah, we're sure," answered Inuyasha. "I think we just needed help out of the building." He handed Kagome her sunglasses and put on his own as they walked down the street.

"Besides," the young woman continued, taking her boyfriend's hand. "It's just a short walk. I just wanted to wander outside of my cage for a little while."

"I can understand that," answered Kouhaku. "Well, definitely give us a call if you need some help. We're going back to help out again at the front entrance. Let us know when you're ready to go back inside!"

"Thanks, Kid. We got your number." Continuing down the street, Inuyasha waved goodbye.

Gripping her boyfriend's hand, she swung hers back and forth as they walked. Fingers of cool air brushed over her cheeks, and she directed her gaze to the familiar buildings of Shinjuku panning overhead. They darkened gradually against a cool blue sky-- night would come soon. In the midst of late spring the weather wasn't as searingly hot or sticky as a summer evening would have been, but it was not yet warm enough to forego wearing a sweater.

When they turned a corner, Kagome leaned into Inuyasha, glancing at a cherry tree. They'd completely missed their chance to view the cherry blossoms this year, she immediately realized. Last year they'd shared a beer on a small patch of grass in between takes at a commercial shoot. They gazed over a trailer and a sea of studio employees at Yoyogi Park, at a faraway row of trees, pink with petals, toasting with plastic cups.

Hopefully next year they'd remember on time. Maybe Sango, Shippo, and Miroku would be there, too.

"Eee, I'm so excited!" she suddenly squealed.

"What? Why?"

Laughing, Kagome straightened her sunglasses. "Because we're gonna get to eat some junk!"

"Keh. You're retarded sometimes, you know that?" Smirking, Inuyasha noticed goose bumps on Kagome's arm. He released her hand and draped it around her shoulder.

"Like you're not?" she shot back with her own smirk.

"You... go to some of the finest restaurants in the world. But right now you're happy for some shitty two hundred yen soba bread."

Kagome pecked Inuyasha on the cheek. "Soba-pan and a beer! Don't forget that!"

"Ooh, extravagant." The hanyou rolled his eyes. He placed a hand on Kagome's lower back, ushering her into the 7-11 they'd reached.

"Welcome," a girl behind the counter mumbled, as she opened a box. She glanced at the couple for a moment before focusing her attention back to the stack of magazines she needed to stock. "Please look around."

With a shopping basket in hand Kagome removed her sunglasses to scan the aisles until she located the bread.

"Hey. What d'ya want?" Inuyasha stood a few meters away, at the drink aisle.

"Boss Seven and a Kirin, please! Oh, and yuzu sorbet." Grinning, the young woman turned back to the bread, until Inuyasha appeared next to her. He bent to place his items in her shopping basket, dropping a kiss on her shoulder as he straightened. "Look, Inuyasha, they've got--"

"No, you shut up, Katou!"

"Tsuyoshi-kun, are you gonna let him talk to me like that?!"

They blinked. The store clerk welcomed a rambunctious group of high school students: two boys (kitsune youkai) and three girls, as they burst into the store. Kagome gasped a little, looking down at the bread. She hid her face beneath the bill of her hat, a black fedora, and finished her sentence as the teenagers loudly teased each other.

"So they've got strawberry margarine-pan! Which do you think is better, strawberry margarine, or cheese cream for dessert?"

"Keh, like it matters to me." Loading up on pizza bread, Inuyasha folded his arms. "What happened to the soba pan?"

"I said dessert," she giggled, putting both into the basket. As a group of salarymen entered, the couple moved to the counter to pay.

"Will this be all?" The girl at the counter asked, scanning barcodes and placing the items in a bag.

"Yes," Inuyasha answered, growing a little uncomfortable when a couple in their twenties entered, also welcomed by the store clerk. Even the fringes of Shinjuku got crowded when the sun went down. Soon this convenience store would be just as bustling as the streets, once all of the bars and restaurants opened for the night. The lovers had to leave.

"Two-thousand, four hundred and thirty yen, please." As Inuyasha pushed a five thousand yen bill across the counter the shop girl grabbed a few napkins and a spoon for the sorbet. Despite her expediency, she wasn't fast enough for the half demon's comfort.

Kagome could sense Inuyasha's restlessness and tapped her toe impatiently, watching the shopkeeper count out the change. Through her sunglasses her stare met with the younger girl's, as the girl turned towards them to pass the money over, and in a split second Kagome realized what was happening. The clerk paused, glancing down at the magazines she was stocking earlier. Kagome and Inuyasha's infamous photos were plastered across the front cover. When the girl looked at the couple a second time she gasped audibly.

"Oh! Are you Higurashi Kagome-san?"

"No, definitely not." The pop star tried to laugh things off but even she wasn't convinced by her tone of voice. She could feel more eyes on her.

"Oh my God, and she really has a lover!"

"What? Who is that?"

"Keep the change," growled Inuyasha. He grabbed Kagome by the wrist, running out of the store. The pop star managed to grab their shopping bag as she was pulled behind him.

"Kya!" Kagome dragged her feet, desperately trying not to fall, as the couple rushed into an alarmed group of bystanders. Her fedora flew off, but she could pay no mind at this point, trying to run as fast as Inuyasha. "I'm gonna trip--"

"Higurashi-san, can we have your autograph?"

"Damn it!" Inuyasha glanced back, annoyed when he saw the two fox youkai on their heels. Teenagers were annoyingly energetic. "Go hit on some chicks in training bras!" the half-demon snarled back at them; one boy pulled out his cell phone to take their photo. "Kagome, get on my back."

For a split second he crouched, ducking low to latch his arms around her legs. "Hold on tight," he said, and Kagome laced her arms around her lover's shoulders. He ran through a crowd of commuters exiting a train station, and leapt over a few people crossing the street.

The hanyou glanced backwards over his shoulder. "Damn, they're still behind us..."

"Inuyasha, car!" gasped Kagome.

"Son of a--" he leapt high, causing Kagome to scream. Her grip tightened before he landed on the roof of a two-story shop building.

"Get us down!" His girlfriend howled.

"Keh, shut up and trust me!" The fox demons were gaining on them. Why were they so persistent? Glancing around, Inuyasha spotted the building he was looking for-- the local kouban. He leapt down onto the street in front of it, making sure to land loudly. Pausing for a second, he caught his breath.

Kagome blinked at Inuyasha and over to the police officers inside. Stretching awkwardly, she bent to remove a shoe.

"Whatcha' doing back there, Kagome?"

"Helping," she giggled. Releasing one arm she waited for the teenaged youkai to approach before throwing her shoe at the door. "Go, go, run!"

"Yeah, yeah." Inuyasha grinned, leaping onto the roof of the kouban as he heard some police officers clamoring to get outside. He watched the boys follow them as he climbed onto some higher buildings.

Kagome was screaming. "Too high, we're gonna fall!"

"What the hell's your problem? We're only up like seven stories, Bitch!"

"Where's your camera? There they are!"

"Falling from one floor is dangerous, you jerk! And that 'Bitch' had better mean, 'Woman!'"

"Wha--?" The half demon was flabbergasted. "You should know that it's a God-damned compliment!"

"Hey! What do you kids think you're doing?" A police officer, also a youkai, leapt up behind the two high school-aged fox demons, pulling them down to the street.

"Come to think of it, you only call me that when you're yelling at me!" Kagome wasn't sure if her legs were trembling because she was upset or scared.

"Like I'd let you fall!" Inuyasha used some narrow ledges for leverage as he ran up the side of a higher building.

"People fall even when they try not to, Inuyasha!" Forgetting about their pursuers she made the mistake of looking down, just as cars began to shrink from sight. "Eep!" Kagome tried not to think about where they were, but had problems getting any other ideas into her head. Inuyasha stopped listening to her. He wanted to keep climbing!

She really tried not to panic, and she tried not to think about how she was now having trouble making out the people on the ground. However she couldn’t pry her eyes away from the streets below. Kagome's heart pounded, and the terrified woman could practically feel each frenzied heart beat coursing through her veins. The pavement, meters and meters away now, began to blur.

"H-how high are we going, anyway? Can't we go back down now?" With trembling hands she tried to tighten her grip around Inuyasha's shoulder, but her fingers were beginning to rebel against her. Her palms began to sweat, and eventually Kagome felt her hands slipping.

"I just got an idea, so... sudden change of plans. We're almost there."

"Where?" Not wanting to say much else, Kagome's grip became more frantic as she tried to hang onto her boyfriend.

"What's wrong? You're panicking."

"Is that so tough to fathom?" she nearly shrieked in reply. "I'm terrified and my damned hands aren't cooperating! I'm just trying not to fall backwards, okay?"

When Inuyasha's hands tightened beneath her thighs she nearly jumped. "In this instance, you have to calm down and trust me, Honey."

She couldn't believe it; this wasn't the time for a lesson in principles! Kagome wanted to sob. "What the hell kinds of games are you trying to play, here?" In her sudden anger, Kagome forgot about the staggering height of the building they were climbing. Immediately her hands clenched, and she fought the urge to slap him.

"You... think this is some kind of stupid trust exercise? Do you really think my ego needs that kind of petting?" With a final leap, Inuyasha hefted them over the railing, onto the roof of the skyscraper before carefully releasing her onto the cement floor below. "Where the hell does that come from?"

"Well, where the hell does suddenly running to... wait, are we in Shibuya?"

"Yes!"

"Well, where the hell does suddenly running to-- to some random building.., hey, I recognize this view... isn't this where I looked at an apartment-- never mind! My point is, what the hell made you want to travel here, on foot?" Speaking of feet, Kagome remembered that she was missing a shoe. Frowning, the annoyed young woman squatted on the ground to rub some warmth into her frigid foot. She tried not to notice the ridiculous amount of wind that tossed her hair in all directions.

"Like it? The view?"

Frowning, Kagome nodded, trying not to notice the perfectly manicured bonsai trees sitting in rows along the perimeter of the space, or the smaller planters of various white flowers, framing a glass patio door. From between Inuyasha's ankles her eyes caught the edge of a fountain and wanted to run to it, but she pointedly glared at her exposed toes instead.

"I thought we could eat our food here." Taking a couple of steps to where Kagome crouched, he took her hand, leading her to a marble bench against the building, relatively well protected from the wind. The awning it sat under was covered in white climbing roses, and as Kagome passed beneath it, she raised a hand towards them, brushing a low-hanging flower with her fingertip.

"Are we even supposed to be here?" Whose place is this, anyway? Taking a seat, Kagome reached for her food while Inuyasha walked to the glass patio door. While she kept a wistful gaze on the flowers above he located a keypad next to the door and punched in a code with what looked like practiced ease. The door clicked, and Inuyasha slid it to one side.

"Yeah, it's fine. Nobody's home for a couple of weeks, I think."

"Who's... place is this?"

"Some guy I know. He's kindova dick, but whatever."

"You sure we should stay, then?" The young woman's voice grew louder as she watched her boyfriend disappear inside.

"Yeah, it's fine." The half demon came out, with a pair of black socks in hand. He kneeled at Kagome's feet as she attacked her sorbet, slipping the soft fabric over her toes. "All better?"

"Only if you come eat with me," his girlfriend answered, crossing her legs. "And thank you, by the way." As Inuyasha took a seat next to her, she leaned into him while he unwrapped a piece of pizza bread.

"Keh."

The expanse of buildings around them dimmed with the sky, and bit by bit their view of the city was dotted with lights from windows, streetlights, neon signs, and stars. Once Kagome finished her bread she popped open her can of beer. Inuyasha intercepted it before she could drink, taking a couple of sips.

"Hey, no fair! The first sip's always the best..."

Smirking, he wrapped his arm around Kagome's shoulder and held the can to her lips. The young woman rolled her eyes before drinking. When she swallowed, Inuyasha pulled her to him, pecking her on the lips.

"Come on now," he said, moving in to kiss her one more time. "The next are pretty good too, aren't they?"

Before she could answer, the patio lit up. The bonsai trees and roses she'd been admiring had been strung with miniature white lights, and now they glowed softly against the tiny beads of light. Kagome gasped. A light in the fountain also came on, illuminating the slim jets of water shooting up from its center that now reflected sharp shards of light all over the yard.

"...Yeah." Shivering a little, Kagome rubbed her arms. "Are you sure it's okay we're here?"

"Mm-hmm," answered her boyfriend. Placing the can down beneath the bench, the hanyou gripped the human woman's shoulders, giving her an even longer kiss than previously. She kissed him back, using the opportunity to burrow into him, warming her fingers as she knotted them in his shirt.

"I see," she whispered, shivering a bit from increasingly cold gusts of wind.

"You're freezing. Let's go inside," Inuyasha cooed, taking her hand as they stood.

"You're sure it's okay--"

"For the last fucking time, it's okay, Honey." He was laughing as he led her inside, her hand in his. He closed the door behind them. Illuminated softly by patio lights outside Inuyasha kept his hold on Kagome's hand, leading her to a cushioned bench, at the foot of a large bed. With an eyebrow raised she took a seat, and leaned into Inuyasha again when he joined her.

Kagome sighed. "The view isn't so different from what I've got at home, but that area outside... it's amazing! I don't think the place I looked at in this building was as huge, but why were you so against me living here?" She slid down to her side, resting her head on Inuyasha's lap while she gazed outside.

"Firstly, this is the owner's place." Inuyasha bent to kiss Kagome's ear, and when she turned to look up at him he moved his lips over hers.

"Oh."

"And as ya' already know, the owner's a dick. Wouldn't want to deal with him." Momentarily sliding out from under her, Inuyasha rolled himself onto the bed with Kagome, spooning her.

"Mmm," Though the young woman registered what her boyfriend had said, she was fading fast. Inuyasha's lips were pressed into the back of her neck, and not much time passed before one of his hands slid up from her waist, palms massaging her breasts. She'd completely forgotten what they were even talking about once Inuyasha's free hand slid down between her thighs.


Notes:

Firstly-- wow, two award nominations while I've been in limbo-- thank you guys so much! It's always nice to be appreciated. :D

Okay, so like I already said, I might have to release shorter chapters if it means I can get them out to you guys faster. Of course I'm not talking about next-day turnaround, but I think the closure will make me move along a little easier, too.

Just to make things clear right now, the "regular" (regular means not lemons, holiday specials, or other short flashback types of "special" chapters there could be) will never be, like, two pages in word. They'll still be substantial, but just not this EPIC length that tends to keep happening in this story's later parts.

Now, where the hell have I been this year? Hm. Went to Japan in Jan/Feb and then again in June. The business that my husband and I are running is EXTREMELY busy. I can't even believe how much work we have, and just this week in between my actual design work I've had to conduct some interviews. Have never had this much responsibility in my life, and it's pretty scary sometimes. OH, and SCHOOL. Will I ever finish...

Next time! It's partially written out already, so look forward to the next half of this chapter! Thank you guys so much for reading, and sticking with me all this time. Wow, sorry, too busy to deal with cultural notes and post sketches (not sure if I even have any, yikes), but the story's the most important part anyway, right?

Damn, I miss Japan's convenience stores. Could totally do with some strawberry margarine bread or Consomme flavored Pringles. D: