InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Fade and Flare ❯ Chapter 15 Part 2 ( Chapter 17 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Fade and Flare

Chapter 15 (Part 2)

Inuyasha (at least the anime, anyway) is copyright Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan, Yomiuri Terebi, and Sunrise 2000.


Hey, guys. This half of the chapter's got an EXPLICIT LEMON WARNING. ;D


"I'm home," he mumbled instinctively, shedding his shoes in the entryway. He didn't expect to be heard-- outside, a handful of employees who were always at his house goofed off together. They greeted him quite loudly.

It also seemed that somebody left the stereo playing inside.

"Welcome home, Kouhaku." A feminine voice echoed from around the corner where he couldn't see, startling him a little.

"Sango-nee-san," the young man grinned, heading in the direction of the living room where his older sister sat. "What are you doing here?"

Facing their father's stereo speakers, she had one elbow propped against a short table with her legs splayed across the tatami floor. As he took a seat across from her, kneeling on his knees he reached for her cup of tea, taking a sip.

"Brought some cake. You spent a long night taking care of Kagome-chan, so I wanted to treat you for being such a kind little brother!"

"Uh, just doing what I needed to do..." Kouhaku blushed a little-- though Sango was half-joking he truly looked up to his older sister, always happy when she praised him. "So where is it?"

"Oh." Sango moved as if she were going to get up, but stayed sitting, transfixed with the heavy guitar music shooting from the speakers. The younger sibling blinked at his sister.

"Nee-san. Is there cake in the kitchen?"

"Yeah." Sango made the same moves again, sitting back down. "Hey, I'll get it when this song ends."

"Right... sure, that's fine." He was silent for a second. "...Punk, is it?"

The corners of his older sister's open mouth curled up, and she nodded enthusiastically.

"I'll be right back."

A plate was placed on the table next to her elbow, and Sango blinked a few times. "That was fast. I didn't even notice you getting up."

Her younger brother smiled a little, positioning a knife over strawberry shortcake. "That must be an amazing CD. I didn't know you liked punk."

"I don't dislike punk. But... this CD's great. To be honest whoever produced the album wasn't too skilled but you can't hide the band's abilities. The guitar's to die for-- really, um, visceral and energetic like punk should be, but also really melodic. It's catchy as hell." Sango reached for her brother's plate, and then took the knife out of his hands, cutting the dessert into six even slices. Without a word she took her brother's plate, neatly centering a piece onto it before handing it to him. She then filled up a glass of iced tea for him before serving herself. "I'm no record producer, but she could have gone big with stuff like this."

"She?"

Having devoured her piece of cake, Sango's empty plate rattled as it was practically thrown onto the table. "How was work?"

With wide eyes Kouhaku refilled his older sister's iced tea. "Kagome-nee-san was missing a shoe."

For the first time Sango diverted her attention away from the music, turning to face her younger brother. "What?"

Kouhaku's cheeks reddened again, and he looked down at his plate while pushing a small bite of cake back and forth. "To tell the truth, when I first saw photos of Kagome-nee-san and Inuyasha-san together, I was a little shocked. I've always known her as Hojo's girlfriend. Up until you called me to work I thought the photos were doctored."

"Yeah, I can understand that." Against her better judgment Sango served herself another piece of cake. "It's not like you or anyone else saw Kagome-chan as much as we did. It was natural to us, but to people who weren't there... did you feel as betrayed as everyone else?"

A sudden understanding washed over Kouhaku's face, and he stopped playing with his cake. "I... think so! It was like none of us could see this coming, because whenever you turn the TV on, either one or both of them were on together, and on news reports people couldn't help but mention one without the other. Like they were trying so hard to show everyone what a wonderful couple they were.

"And that's what I bought into! People on the street, and even some of our own guys say it was a little underhanded to capitalize on that. If I think about it a little more, it's, like, I wanted to tell Kagome-nee-san that it was irresponsible to mislead people. There are fans out there who'd walk into Hell if she asked them to, and they buy anything with her name or face."

Forcing herself to slow down as she ate, Sango rest her fork onto her cheek, looking thoughtful. "No, I know what you mean. With some of the letters that Kagome-chan gets, it's pretty clear when someone is buying her music because they love this fantasy that the she and Hojo fought together against the world to become stars. Inuyasha's known because he's her manager, and people generally know what managers do, but people don't really credit who they don't see. They don't realize how much of it was really Inuyasha and Kagome against the world."

"I never thought of that before," Kouhaku mumbled, playing with his food again. "Today, I felt a little bad because I almost felt like these reporters we were trying to keep away from Kagome-nee-san deserved an explanation. They're confused and curious because the fans are, I thought. But you know what?"

"Hm?"

"Kagome-nee-san's never had so much trouble before, I mean, in her career, right? For some reason tonight she was missing a shoe when they came home, and Inuyasha was carrying her, and we walked her through the back up to her apartment. And..." A blush crept across the young man's cheeks as he watched the bouncing equalizer on the stereo.

The blush didn't go unnoticed. Sango raised an eyebrow, leaning over the table to point a fork at her younger brother. "You... you're so red!" she laughed. Her laughs grew louder when Kouhaku's face grew redder. "Do you have a crush on Kagome-chan?"

"What? No!" Embarrassed, Kouhaku turned away. "I was just about to say... she's always been really pretty."

Sango rolled her eyes.

"It's not like that!" Exasperated, Kouhaku ate his last bite of cake. "Her shoe was missing, and she wasn't made up or wearing anything special, but I've never seen her look prettier than she did with Inuyasha-san."

Sango laughed, pinching the young man's cheek with one hand. "Kouhaku, you've really grown up, haven't you?"

"Why's everyone talking to me like I'm a little kid tonight? First Kagome-nee-san, and now you-- I only handled security for a couple of buildings, one being a major shrine with a ton of entrances. Nothing special, or particularly difficult when rabid fans and reporters are involved!"

Kouhaku's outburst was answered with a hand on his head. "I get it, I get it. Big, strong Kouhaku did a good job today. Want some more big strong cake?"

Scowling, the young man nodded as he held out his plate.


They'd barely been back in Japan for a week, unable to leave the house due to paparazzi and other prying eyes until this evening, which had proven to be a fiasco.

But their convenience store outing wasn't a total disaster. Inuyasha didn't intend to take her in someone else's home, and on someone else's bed earlier that night, but Kagome just smelled so delicious! He loved her scent when she was slightly riled up. She'd been dragged up the side of a building, missing a shoe, and had her favorite first sips of beer from a fresh can stolen. The tension turned him on, maybe it was why he picked so many fights with her, and recently the half demon learned what a pleasure it was to soothe those feelings of good-natured turmoil away. So he took her-- If anything Inuyasha thought he'd be thoroughly sated afterward. It was so easy to nip at Kagome's neck and coerce her panties around her ankles, after all. Later they'd return to their senses, lying together exhausted, just as always.

Being shut in for a week didn't always leave much to do. After days spent watching celebrity news shows or on the phone with Miroku, what else was there to do besides... well, Kagome? There was nothing for him at his own home, and she never denied any of his advances. In fact, she'd incited half of their lovemaking, easily. As sweet and proper as she acted in general, the young woman was startlingly ravenous when she was alone and naked with him.

Was she like this with her last boyfriend? Was she practically sex-crazed because she wasn't like this with Hojo? It might explain why her shyness faded quickly, as did the formality of protesting each time Inuyasha kissed between her legs.

Deep down, however, things this good were suspect to Inuyasha. Each time Kagome nibbled along his jaw, or tugged his shirt open, he waited for the catch. When they returned to her apartment after their extended jaunt to the conbini, Inuyasha cradled Kagome in his arms as Kouhaku and his men escorted them to the door. She'd kicked off her newly-orphaned shoe in the entryway and pushed Inuyasha onto a couch in the living room, straddling his hips as she bent down to kiss him.

You'd think she'd be sick of this, he mused, as his hands slipped beneath her shirt. When his fingers found their way beneath her bra she shivered, and he wondered how watching her react to his touch was always so exciting.

"You don't wanna rest?" the half-demon chuckled. "We just did this how long ago-- an hour, tops? Don't you ache or something?"

She bit lightly across his collarbone, hot breath swirling across his skin. With a couple of wet kisses she replied, still engrossed in her task. "We did make love. But now I want to fuck."

Oh my God... He couldn't even finish that thought. Kagome's hands made quick work of his shirt and slid beneath his tank top underneath, pushing the ribbed fabric up as she caressed his skin. Her fingertips explored the crevices of his chest and were followed by her lips, as she slid lower along his body. Before Inuyasha realized what was happening, a light gust of air made him shudder, and Kagome's fingers had disappeared into his open fly, returning with hot, expanding flesh.

"What are you doing?"

"What do you think?" Kagome purred, caressing him with her hands. She regarded him with a smoldering stare, never looking away as she eventually tasted him. Inuyasha tried to hold her gaze, but when her tongue flickered from behind her lips, lashing up across his skin in a brief greeting, the half demon's amber eyes betrayed him, rolling into the back of his head.

He reeled as if having been hit, mustering the will to look back down at Kagome. Kneeling on the floor against the couch, she repeated her act with slower, more deliberate strokes. With each pause for breath her slick, pink tongue ran over her sly smile. She watched her lover's wide eyes follow her movements, and finally pulled away from his gaze to take him into her mouth.

Kagome grinned when Inuyasha didn't even fight to quiet his strangled groans, and as his hands slowly made their way to her hair she teased him, suckling his tip, and swirling her tongue against him. While her hand worked the rest of his shaft she took pleasure in how he writhed beneath her, clawed fingertips tangled thickly into tendrils of her hair as his hips rolled into her. As her tongue traced across his soft, creviced skin, she was reminded of how it felt inside of her. Her thighs pressed together in anticipation of it, only serving to agitate her further. For a moment her eyes closed, and a soft moan escaped her throat when she engulfed him again.

His breathing was the only other sound she could hear, and she became excited by its urgency. Exhales from deep in the half demon's throat echoed in the open air, and Kagome's ministrations grew messy to match his enthusiasm, impatient for him to ravage her. The length of her tongue was slathered over him, slipping and twisting against him as she felt her own desire grow.

Inuyasha's grip on her tightened slightly, with every bit of his focus directed towards the deep pink lips that engulfed his cock. He sighed, noting her reddening cheeks and hot breath, now at a complete loss for coherent words. The thick scent of her excitement was becoming more apparent as she continued, and it enticed him just as much to feel the reverberation of her soft moans against him.

He was about to peak now-- she could tell by his restless movements. The single-minded desire for release that came so strongly after a certain point in their lovemaking was so blinding and sudden. Kagome watched Inuyasha begin to reach this...

...And then she stopped. With all of the willpower she could muster Kagome stood, a small smile carved lightly into her features.

It took a few seconds for Inuyasha to speak, still reeling from her touch. His mask of desire was quickly replaced with confusion, and he looked at her for a second.

"Aah!" Frustration was clear in his voice. "Kagome, wha... what the fuck?"

She turned, beginning to walk away, but she couldn't hide her scent from Inuyasha-- she was still very aroused. "That's all you get."

He watched for a moment, slightly irritated. "What? ...What?" When she giggled, a soft growl began to rumble in his chest, and he finally stood, following her into the music room. She knew he'd do this, and she knew how he'd react.

She giggled again, poking her tongue out at him. "For scaring the hell out of me tonight, that's all you get." Kagome attempted to sit at the piano, but Inuyasha moved too fast. Yanking both of her wrists over her head, he pulled her to her feet.

"You've gotta be some sort of professional cock tease," he growled. He kissed her hard, barely giving her room to gasp. By the wrists, he dragged her to the window-- it was the nearest surface he could lean against. The half demon pinned her roughly against thick glass that overlooked Shinjuku.

"Sorry, Inu-chan, did I rile you up?" She finally answered when her breath returned.

He responded with a sharp, "Keh!" before devouring her lips with his own again. "You've been teasing me on and off for years. D'ya honestly expect to get away with it now?" He shed his clothes, pressing his body against hers as he exhaled audibly. "Fuck that."

"Ah," she answered, trying to maintain her composure as she sized him up. Her eyes dragged up along his chest rising with each of his breaths, caressing each muscle, tracing the lines in his collarbone, moving up past his neck which swallowed slightly, over his lips that sat in a cold grin, and finally stopping when their eyes met. His fiery gaze pierced her own. Kagome's heartbeat pounded in her ears. She was excited and perhaps a little fearful of what he would do next. This wasn't lost on him.

"What's wrong?" He chuckled, speaking in a low voice. "Nervous now? That little heart of yours is gonna beat itself right out of your chest." He punctuated his last word with a strong tug, and ripped Kagome's shirt in half, peeling it off of her heaving chest.

The young woman gasped, watching Inuyasha bite the exposed curve of her breast. There was a short, dull ache followed by relief, as he lapped his tongue over the light mark he made. From here he didn't have further to move, and nosed down into her bra, taking her nipple into his mouth. She shivered as his tongue swirled against it, pressing her thighs together in a futile attempt to calm herself.

"Stay still," he growled, using one hand to pin both of her wrists against the window, while using the other to slash across her bra and pants. "I don't want you wandering away again." He ripped a pair of black cotton panties off of her as well, tossing the ruined fabric into the pile behind him. When he resumed his attention to her breasts, Kagome let out a soft gasp, arching her body towards her lover. His response was immediate.

"I said stay still!" He wasn't about to let this go unpunished. With a smooth flick of his wrist he inserted a finger into her, and she mewled softly against his lips as he kissed her again. "Don't you dare move," he repeated, quieter this time, mindful of his claws.

"Ahh," was all she could finally answer, as his thumb swirled against her slick pink button. "Ahh!" she repeated, trying not to writhe. The hanyou's hand was coated thickly in her juices when he resumed his kisses; deft brushes of his tongue teased hers.

"That's a good girl," he purred, releasing her only to spin her around. One clawed hand slipped around her waist, his palm now rubbing across her chest as the other traveled down her belly.

He dragged his fangs dragged across her neck, leaving pink lines on her blushing skin. "Think you can behave now?"

She'd intended to answer him, but could only manage to cry out softly as a fingertip found its way back between her legs, wriggling gently into her wet crevice. Careful again not to claw her, the half demon rubbed her swelling, peach-colored skin. "Yes," she eventually shuddered. In an attempt to strengthen the sensation Kagome slapped her forearms against the window, desperately fighting gravity on the tip of her toes for any extra leverage to grind into Inuyasha's hand. Her jaw hung down in a pant as she felt her petals conforming around his touch, hot skin sliding over its rigid shape in an agonizingly slow rhythm while he caressed her. He added another fingertip, pulling and squeezing her lightly, quickly becoming sticky and slippery while she squirmed.

"You don't sound so enthusiastic," the half demon breathed hotly into Kagome's ear. He paused to lick his fingers, and returned his hand to the junction of her thighs. "But you taste pretty good anyway. Maybe I can believe you in a minute."

When her back arched, chest pressing into the window as her voice grew louder, Inuyasha coaxed Kagome to her toes again, parting her entrance slightly with his hands, and sliding his length steadily into her with a grunt. His clawed hands slid to grip her hips, and he tried to move slowly at first, delighted at how her breasts contracted and expanded against the glass with their movements.

Kagome gazed out over the city as he filled her, eyes stopping to fixate back and forth between familiar buildings. The skyscrapers stood calmly, illuminated by streetlights, glowing yellow, blue, and white, against a pure black backdrop. Her gaze moved up, glancing at her own reflection before pausing at her lover, whose narrowed eyes met hers in the glass as he slid rhythmically, in and out at an agonizingly steady pace.

"Someone might see..."

"Nobody will see." Inuyasha was right. This side of her apartment did not face any other buildings of similar height. No lights were on to highlight their act. In addition to knowing which floor and window to look into, anyone would need a telescope to recognize them, and a helicopter to take photos.

Pressed against the window, Kagome couldn't see below her breasts. Her head spun, unable to make much sense of anything besides Inuyasha, who nipped at her shoulders and neck while he moved inside of her. The lights from outside started to blur when Kagome tried to register their shapes. Hot from her exertion, but cool from the frigid glass against her chest and forearms, she could barely hold her head up as she relished him.

He was trembling as he moved, quickly losing himself as he always did, immersed in her heat. The hanyou's increasingly rough movements shook her small frame, and his hands that roamed over his lover's soft, pliant skin began to move more impatiently.

Inuyasha watched Kagome's shoulders shake beneath him. Her pristine skin glowed blue from the inky sky, underneath clinging strands of black hair. The clean scent of her flesh enticed the hanyou closer until his kisses had unwittingly returned to her shoulder.

His lips pressed along its contour, and he progressed closer and closer to the back of her neck until he was nuzzled into her hair, murmuring endearments as he kissed her. One of his hands gripped her waist, and the other cupped a breast as he whispered to her, watching her struggle to answer. She was drunk on his touch, barely coherent or able to process his soft words. He spoke of her scent, her skin, the curve of her hips.... it was all too much to keep up with. Without having to make out her lover's words, the low hum of his voice alone was enough to get lost in, but he was also holding her, moving against her and inside of her. The rhythm of his words and dance of his ministrations made her quiver, deliciously helpless as she entrusted herself to him.

"D-don't stop," she finally mustered.

He answered, first with a soft nip at her ear.

--

It must have been early in the morning. Though they didn't quite make it back to a bedroom, Inuyasha and Kagome were now situated on her living room couch, exhausted, cozy, and barely drifting off to sleep to a murmuring television. From behind the vertical blinds the sky outside was glowing in a cool blue, slowly lighting the room as the sun began to rise. In another hour perhaps the streetlights would turn off; Inuyasha wondered if he'd fall asleep before it became too bright outside.

Beneath an ivory colored fleece blanket Kagome lay on top of her lover, still naked against his bare chest, steadily growing drowsy.

"Inuyasha..."

"Yeah?" He answered, pressing her free hand to his lips.

"I guess you're still awake?"

"Mm-hm," he sighed, running a finger up along her back. "But totally comfortable."

She smiled, nuzzling into him. "All I really want to do lately is hide from everything and lay here with you. If you keep ripping up my clothes like that it's all I'll be able to do."

The half demon chuckled, placing a kiss on her crown. "Get some rest." A grin sat on his face as he watched her smile and sigh.

She traced a finger across his chest. "Wouldn't that be fun? I could go on hiatus, and we'd head back to Cebu, or Rosu. Oh! We could go somewhere you haven't been to like... San Francisco? New York?"

"Shh."

Kagome yawned. "Or we could just hide here for a few months." She laughed to herself a little, running a fingertip across Inuyasha's collarbone. "Or I could just quit."

"Quit?" Inuyasha was awake now, hoping that Kagome didn't hear how shallow his breathing had become.

"Sure," she giggled. "Let's have some babies instead."

"D-don't joke around like that," Inuyasha admonished softly. He'd wanted her for years, but never once dared to fantasize that far. Her belly, swollen with his child... Even in jest the prospect was too amazing to handle-- a beacon of light too blinding and heavenly to even glance at. In the face of this kind of happiness, he could only shrink. He stilled at the thought, from his toes to the tips of his fingers, and had he not been laying down, his legs would have stopped working. "Besides, I'm a marrying type," he blurted out.

Kagome's eyes grew wide, and Inuyasha thought his heart seemed annoyingly audible.

"The legendary womanizer is really sweet and old-fashioned," Kagome laughed. "Who would have thought?"

"Keh! Shut up," he scoffed, turning his head away uncomfortably, but Kagome was already raising her head, moving in for a kiss.

"I'm old-fashioned, too." Her lips were against his, but they quickly parted when she sank back down on his chest, yawning again.

Now he was really nervous. Joking about doing something major, and so impulsively, was always a sign of impending recklessness on Kagome's part-- what would she try to pull?

Oh no. Is she trying to...?

"Kagome."

She didn't answer.

"Honey... this is important..."

Kagome yawned again, grinning up at him. "Hm?"

"You're, are you trying to... you were just... uh, babies... with m-me? You want babies?"

Smooooth.

Inuyasha blinked widely, hoping the voices from the television would somehow drown out his pathetic delivery.

Kagome's cheeks reddened. "What? Inuyasha, what are you asking--"

"--are ya tryin' to get knocked up?"

"Whaaat?!" She raised her head, staring back at Inuyasha with bulging eyes. "I was joking! Joking!"

Warily, the hanyou calmed down a little. "Well... we've been riding bareback all week, and then you start talking about babies, and... and then I just realized..."

"I'm... um, there are, ah, pills! The Pill!" Slightly embarrassed, Kagome hid her face against her lover's chest, still mumbling. "Oh God, GOD, I don't know what I was saying. S-someday-- um, but not right now! I wasn't serious!"

"Got it." Inuyasha could feel his heart calming down. He then bit his lip, suddenly inclined to say what he honestly felt.

I'll try it once. If I don't like it I don't have to fuckin' do it again.

"If you'd have me... I-I wouldn't mind taking you up on that one day." He blurted it out. Damn it, why did he bother to calm down? His heart was going to explode at this rate. Quick, throw in a distraction! "After we fix your career."

Kagome could only nod in reply, with cheeks still heavily colored. Eventually she settled down, solidly falling asleep.

Yeah. Let's not forget the mess we're in. Inuyasha's eyes grew dark at the thought.

Maybe a month ago Kagome lost control and kissed Inuyasha for real, for the first time, but it felt like years had passed since then. Only two weeks ago they'd gone to Los Angeles together, finally as a couple, and only one week ago they'd first made love. He'd slept with hordes of girls over the years, but there were only a few over the course of his entire lifetime who managed to be special. Kagome, though, was the only woman who'd hit that mark so easily. In return he'd made her experience seven years worth of what that meant, in the span of seven days.

He was shocked that she brought up the idea of children. Was she back to teasing him again?

Don't be stupid, he'd self-admonished. Whether or not Inuyasha felt deserving of them, he knew her feelings. It was distressing, sometimes, that she wanted him, and bringing up the subject of children implied a whole lot of things he wasn't ready to accept. Would she really spend her life with him? At times, her lack of judgment shocked the half demon.

Why couldn't she be in love with someone on her level? Her old buddy Takarai seemed interested at some point, and so did she. This man was the only other besides Inuyasha that Kagome seemed so relaxed around. While that was a little intimidating at times, a married man who toured often wasn't much of a threat.

You idiot. It was selfish what he'd blurted out. His weak, passive-aggressive hints at wanting to marrying her was an embarrassment to him as a man and doubly as a youkai. 'If you'll have me'? You god damned idiot. Either have the balls to make her yours, or have the balls to... to...

He was still haunted with the idea that she could do better. If Hideto wasn't married... and if pictures of Kagome and this man kissing in an alley had surfaced, she wouldn't be in half the trouble she was in. People wouldn't be as shocked. Takarai Hideto-- Hyde-- was the face of one of Japan's most successful bands, a pride of their great nation, who toured overseas and had hordes of fans there who didn't even speak Japanese but could sing every word of his songs. He was regularly voted into lists like Japan's top five sexiest men in Oricon Style magazine. Hojo barely managed number twenty on the same poll, and that was only once. According to vapid entertainment news "experts" a coupling like Higurashi Kagome and Hyde could be ordained in heaven. A man like Takarai was worthy of Kagome, not some parasite manager who made a living off of her success.

It's really too bad that guy's married, Inuyasha lamented, feeling a little conflicted.

Come to think of it Kagome never explained the nature of her relationship with her beloved "Hide-chan". The hanyou didn't even know how and why they met-- Inuyasha's first memories of the rock star were when Takarai arranged for Kagome's first meeting with their agency. He entered their office towards the end of a Thursday, perplexed in demeanor and scent. The appointment he'd made was out of the blue; why was somebody so big even setting foot in a no-name talent agency like theirs? Who could he possibly be vouching for? Compared to seeing him on T.V. the man was shorter in stature than Inuyasha had imagined, but his mere presence in a room was enough to make just about everyone hold their breath as he walked. The man seemed like he'd been a star his whole life, and when he spoke Inuyasha couldn't sense or smell an ounce of uncertainty in him. How long did it take to learn how to do that? The only person who didn't proverbially bow and scrape at the rock star's feet was Kagome.

Kagome... When Inuyasha first laid eyes on her, she was completely inexperienced with stardom, despite her reputation at live shows. Sure, she was naturally pretty. Even before her fame eyes were on her when she entered a room, but Inuyasha watched her confidence evolve slowly over the years. It was just another of the many things she'd worked to perfect, as it certainly didn't come naturally. When they met she was hiding behind Takarai Hideto, clinging in fear to her... mentor? Friend?

Lover?

Maybe Inuyasha didn't want to know.

Kagome had to be crazy-- she'd wrangled Inuyasha, kicking and screaming, into her arms. She'd wanted him, and always seemed to be the main instigator of their sexual tension. All of the blatant flirting threw Inuyasha off at times, pushing his chauvinistic tendencies into all sorts of uncomfortable places. As the man in the relationship, he laughed at how he would ultimately be the one accused of wearing Kagome down until she couldn't resist his advances, despite the actual truth of their situation. If he didn't respect Kagome, if he wasn't in awe of her abilities, if he wasn't so easily calmed by her sweet temperament, and if he didn't want to taste every centimeter of her gorgeous flesh, he'd have been downright hostile towards a woman who was so forward. As far as Inuyasha was concerned, men made advances. In upholding a long tradition of social constructs, youkai men were not only expected to make advances, they were taught to regard humans as the weaker creatures they were. Only Kagome, more willful than lowly humans, would have the audacity to claim any youkai as her own-- even a hanyou like Inuyasha-- and carry it out like it was normal and natural.

Inuyasha's demon tamer in question yawned, shifting a little in her place as she nuzzled into him again. "Sleep," he whispered, realizing that she had already done so.

Babies? Clearly she was done with Hojo a long time ago, to even joke about that. Her jokes always had some ounce of truth to them. If Inuyasha had only followed his instincts, he could have avoided any efforts to salvage the public perception of an already failing relationship. Apparently his instincts as a manager weren't the best yet, even after all of this time. The fact that Kagome spent too many nights crying should have been the first clue.

It's only been a week. Hiding in Kagome's apartment had to stop. They had to face the world again, and it was time for Inuyasha to make a move.

"We've got a big story this morning! New footage of Higurashi Kagome and her mysterious lover, from eyewitnesses, has been leaked."

Inuyasha's gaze shot wildly towards the television. Thankfully the volume was low enough not to wake the woman resting on his chest, but the half demon began to worry about whether or not his pounding heart would finish the job.

"Two anonymous sources claim to have shot vacation footage from a few months ago, prior to the release of Higurashi Kagome's latest single."

"Damn it," hissed the half demon. Were people doctoring videos now? "Who on earth--"

Before Inuyasha could complete his thought his fears were confirmed by the image on the screen: Though her eyes were blurred out it was clearly Sango, in a bikini, smiling and waving to a pair of distant figures in the ocean before practicing the Kenpo moves she'd done in Cebu. Her image then blurred and two blobs of color, floating in the ocean, came slightly into focus. One blob was black, the other mostly white. At the bottom of the screen a caption, in rounded white lettering suddenly faded into view:

Shocking footage of a long-standing love affair! Higurashi Kagome (23) on a romantic tropical getaway.

That's not even how it was! Inuyasha wanted to scream in reply. As he balled his fists, trembling and unsure what to do next, a figure sat on camera. His face and voice were censored but Inuyasha remembered the man. "We were actually hired to record Hojo-san's engagement party with Higurashi-san." The distorted voice spoke over new footage, this time of Kagome's shocked face, with hands rushing up to cover her mouth. It was evening, on a beach. The next shot was of Hojo, holding her hand to his chest as he presented a ring. Inuyasha averted his eyes, just as Kagome accepted it.

"Is this more proof that Higurashi Kagome and Hojo's engagement announcement was staged? Had the Platinum Pair ever really been a couple?" The shot changed to Kagome, taking Hojo by the hand as they walked off into the dark. She turned to wink at the camera. "Is Higurashi-san giving an important clue about the truth with this wink? These shots are hard to explain otherwise."

"Damn it," Inuyasha whispered again, while the distorted voice returned to narrate more footage. "Hojo was in a dream world and that's why you have this fucking footage!"

"I'll say this. Higurashi Kagome-san and her manager-- I think he's her manager-- seemed to get along more naturally than she did with Hojo-san. She actually spent more time with him than Hojo-san on this vacation." An Image of Inuyasha, Kagome and Sango drinking beers flashed quickly before another Image of Inuyasha applying sunscreen to Kagome's back appeared.

"If I didn't know better I'd say Higurashi-san and her manager have always been the real couple." One last shot appeared-- an overhead view of Inuyasha kissing Kagome's forehead on the shore. He couldn't believe it. They were off-duty when that last footage was shot. It was meant to be a private moment! How did he completely miss the stench of some intruder at the time?

Should have known this would happen... The half demon was quickly losing his temper. With the most self-control he cold muster at the moment he sat up, gathering Kagome into his arms before carrying her to her bedroom, tucking her hurriedly into bed. As Inuyasha closed her door he finally allowed himself to speak at a normal volume.

"Fuck!" He'd been the root of all of Kagome's problems. All of his doubts returned, heavier than ever as they lingered around him. Heading to the music room, Inuyasha located the pants he'd shed on the floor hours ago, retrieving his boxer shorts and cell phone. Once he'd put on his underwear he sat on the piano bench, mashing Miroku's speed dial number into the keypad with practiced ease.

Only a week passed, and now everything had gone crazy. As he waited for Miroku to pick up the phone Inuyasha's free hand gripped his head, and his muscles were tensed, ready for a fight.

"Inuyasha. I was counting the seconds."

"Hi, Miroku. Almost didn't catch it. Was about to go to sleep."

"I take it you can't sleep now. And by the way, WOW. Didn't know you guys were getting friendly back then, too."

The half demon slapped his hand to his forehead. "It wasn't like that! I was congratulating her."

"I could only be so lucky to ‘congratulate' Kagome-sama in such ways," the agent laughed. Quickly his voice sobered, ready to address the business at hand. "So now the question is, what's your next move?"

For a minute Inuyasha glanced out the window he'd pressed Kagome against earlier. Eyeing smudges they'd made on the the glass, reflecting the morning light, the half demon finally sighed. "I know you're against it, but you can't stop me."

"You're damn right I'm against it, Inuyasha. We can't do this to her!"

Inuyasha could only sigh. "I can't keep doing what I'm doing to her! Look, we already talked about this. Gonna head to your place right now. You'd better be there."

"This is ridiculous, I don't see how it's supposed to help things--" Before Miroku could finish his sentence Inuyasha ended the call, gripping his phone tightly.

Miroku just didn't understand. With problems this serious, the only thing that made sense was to do some more damage control. Inuyasha only wanted to minimize the ammunition the press already had.

He collected his pants and shirt. Feeling pensive, but keeping his moves deliberate he dressed, trying his best to keep calm. The half demon managed one more long glance at the pale, bright sky outside before heading to Kagome's room, where it was cozy and dark.

For a moment he beheld her, eyes roaming over her sleeping form. She was on her side, curled slightly into cream-colored sheets, breathing in soft sighs as a slight smile rest lightly on her face. Hair as black as coal pooled around her head and poured over her pillow in gentle waves, and her shoulder peeked out of her covers. The sumptuous splash of skin nearly tempted Inuyasha to disrupt this picture and join her, but his resolve was too deep to change his plans this time.

With a soft kiss to her forehead he left, pausing in the entryway to find his shoes before heading out. My first priority is you. That'll never change.


It was warm, and she hadn't remembered how she got into bed, but Kagome sighed happily, enjoying how the sheets hugged her bare skin. Stretching her arms across the space, she rolled to her left, still smiling.

"Hey, are you..." Nobody was there. For a second the young woman felt a little silly, sticking the tip of her tongue out and laughing a little. Sitting up she pulled the sheet with her, wrapping it around her body as she wandered out of her bedroom.

The sun was still in the sky-- at least she hadn't slept until evening again, which was the case for a couple of days this week. Despite her sleep schedule being constantly ruined by her work schedule, Kagome still felt a little embarrassed about waking up as the sun was setting.

Padding down the cool pine floor of her hallway, she quirked an eyebrow, looking for Inuyasha. There were soft sounds in another room, but she hadn't yet figured out which room that was. Grinning a little, she let her sheet slip down a little, exposing the curve of one breast in hopes to excite her lover.

Where was he? Nobody was in the living room. She wandered past, opening the door to the music room, but still found nobody, and there were no sounds in the bathroom or toilet. The spare bedroom that Inuyasha used to take when he stayed over was also empty, as was her office.

Only the kitchen was left. Now beaming, she ducked underneath the curtains, taking a deep breath. "Good mornin-- oh!"

Sango, Shippo, and Miroku stared back at her, each holding cups of tea. With a shriek Kagome covered her exposed skin, crouching quickly onto the floor.

"Why is it always like this?!" she wailed.

"Wow, deja vu," Shippo laughed, exchanging glances with Sango. "I never told you this in the van, but nice rack!"

"Ka-kagome-sama," coughed her agent, tightening his small pony tail. "If I were a little younger I think I'd appreciate these encounters a lot more. You're... developing a knack for being caught with your shirt off."

"I'm turning into some sort of sexual deviant," the pop star laughed, following her friends into the living room. "Speaking of that, have you seen Inuyasha? And what brings you guys here, anyway?"

The room grew quiet as the friends sat down, and Kagome smiled a little, in spite of the worried expressions on everybody's faces. As the seconds passed she couldn't hold her expression, when the trio exchanged glances.

If she had to guess, Hojo might have made another television appearance, or another news report could have aired. It might explain why Inuyasha wasn't here-- there were too many things that would cause him to leave in a fit of rage and run off to "handle" the problem.

"Come on everyone," the young woman laughed, still slightly worried. "Spit it out. What happened?"

"Kagome-chan," Sango finally ventured, but stopped, rushing to her right side instead. Shippo followed suit, moving to Kagome's left. Miroku stood, retrieving an envelope from his jacket pocket. When Sango wrapped an arm around her shoulder, the other woman's anxiety rose. By the time Miroku handed her the envelope, Kagome was visibly nervous. There was something written on it, but she made a point to avert her eyes.

Her nervousness only got worse when Miroku kneeled on the floor in front of her. "Earlier this morning Inuyasha came over to my place," he started. "The footage from Hojo's engagement party is all over the news today."

What? Though she was shocked and slightly confused at the situation Kagome nodded, looking back down at the neat white envelope encased in her fingers. With a deep breath, she finally allowed her eyes to comb over its black text:

Resignation Letter

This is a lie, right? Her stomach dipped. She stared up at Miroku with a look that echoed her thoughts. Sango leaned on her shoulder.

Now trembling, she removed the letter inside, finding a second note attached with her name on it. Gingerly, with both hands, she turned the folded paper, blinking at his uncharacteristically neat handwriting. It was definitely Inuyasha's, but its neatness was alien. Holding her breath she eyed the three characters of her name centered vertically on the rectangle of paper, "ka", "go", and "me". They stared back at her, eerily calm as she unfolded the crisp white sheet.

Here, Inuyasha's handwriting was scratchy again. Kagome released a little bit of her breath at the familiarity before she finally forced herself to read:

Kagome,

It's cowardly as hell to write you a note but I can't screw this up. I'd rather hate myself for being a coward instead of hating myself for doing this wrong.

I was wrong to take you for myself. I got selfish, and because I couldn't control myself your image is suffering.

Hojo and I are the same, I realized. We get in the way and distract from what really matters. I understand that a little better now. Sorry I didn't realize it soon enough to protect you from everything that's happened.

You're amazing. There's nobody on this earth like you. Nothing should stop you from letting the whole world know it now.

The air in the room was still, and the only sound that could be heard was the distant whir of a Helicopter outside. Sango, Shippo, and Miroku didn't even dare to move before Kagome did. They watched her eyes search the room, and when she smiled, it was terrifying.

"He's overreacting," she finally laughed, perhaps a little too loudly. Kagome shrugged out of Shippo and Sango's grasp, heading to her bedroom. The three who remained sitting looked at each other, only able to wait for what Kagome would do next.

A few moments passed, and Kagome returned wearing an over-sized t-shirt, holding her cell phone. "I'll just straighten this out." She dialed his number, and her companions could only wait for what would happen next. Kagome's eyes widened, and she hung up. She dialed again, this time turning on the phone's speaker.

"Can you believe he'd change his voice mail greeting like this, too?" She mumbled, as the phone rang. Miroku sighed, and Sango raised an eyebrow.

"Kagome," the phone echoed, "I'm serious. Miroku's gonna be your new manager, Honey."

"Do you agree with this, Miroku-sama?" Kagome folded her arms, ending the call.

"If you're asking for my opinion, I think he's being an idiot," Miroku answered, walking up to Kagome. He took her hand in both of his. "But if you're wondering what's going on, all I can say is Inuyasha's stepped down. In his stead, Sango and I are willing to extend our services to you."

"And if you'll have me," Shippo added. "I'd be happy to be your tour manager for now." He walked over to her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

Sango finally stood, wrapping her arms around Kagome. "I hope the three of us can take care of you as well as he did."

"That's ridiculous," Kagome answered. "He'll be back, you guys don't have to worry. But... thank you." She smiled again, returning Sango's embrace. Almost too suddenly for her friends to realize, Kagome choked on a sob. "Th-thank you, for... for always worrying about me," she finished.

"Kagome, don't worry," Shippo answered, tightening his grip.

"I'm sorry I've been causing so many problems for you guys lately," Kagome sniffled, burying her face in Sango's shoulder. "I'll get him back..."

Miroku stared sadly at Kagome, who was trying to compose herself.

"...How could he?" Kagome replied to nobody in particular. She straightened out of Sango and Shippo's grasp, running a thumb over Inuyasha's note. "All of these God damned men, making decisions for me!" Crumpling it into her palm, she moved to throw it. When her arm rose, she stopped herself and smoothed out the paper as best as possible, finally glancing at her friends' worried stares. "No, that's not fair to say. I paid Inuyasha to decide things for me."

"Kagome-chan," Sango started to say, but didn't know how to continue.

"Really, Inuyasha, you think you were holding me back?" the pop star muttered, sniffling a little. You jerk... you're what held me down to Earth.

Cradling it in both hands, Kagome pressed the note to her heart.


Notes:

Ugh, sorry guys. Life is just... ugh. It's not good right now. Also I knew what needed to happen this chapter, but I couldn't find a good way to express it, I think. I was also looking more forward to the chapters after this one, too, which I'm going to have fun with, if anyone's still around to see it. D:

So, wow, it's been a year, right? I'm so sorry.

As for some nitpicks-- the part where they're watching the first news report and the announcer refers to Kagome as "Higurashi Kagome-san" versus just "Hojo" with no honorifics. I'm only about 60 percent sure that's right. On a Japanese news report, when they flash somebody's name there's usually a small "san" (not counting athletes, who would have "senshu" instead) next to it, and I think it's spoken as well. However I can't recall ever seeing honorifics next to a stage name on a news show (like Hojo's, for example, since going by one name may categorize his as such). I'm trying to remember any news report I've seen involving celebrity stage names and can't remember seeing it. In a previous chapter I tacked on the honorifics anyway, but eh. It's different from being introduced on something like a music or variety show.

Also, I just realized when writing this chapter (even though I've written it in before), that I don't ever remember getting a customized voice mail message when calling any Japanese cell phones (I've only gotten something like, "This caller isn't available"). So I'm not sure it's a thing that's done. Sorry if I got that detail wrong. D:

FYI I've got a big chunk of chapter 16 already written. Thanks for hanging in there, anyone who's reading!