InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Purity 4: Justification ❯ Bellaniece's Birthday ( Chapter 60 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
~~Chapter 60~~
~Bellaniece's Birthday~

"I really missed you, Daddy."

Cain adjusted the bags in his hands and grinned just a little at his daughter.  "I missed you, too."

"Seems like such a long time since I've seen you," she went on.  "Seems like things have changed."

"Oh?  Like what?"

Giggling as she pulled a bag out of her father's hand before he dropped it, Bellaniece clasped the handle in both hands as they wandered through the store.  "I can't really put my finger on it," she mused slowly.  "You seem . . . happier."

Can snorted, cheeks pinking as he gazed off into the distance.  "Pfft.  Dunno what you're talking about, Bellaniece."

"It's not a bad thing, Daddy.  I'm glad."

"How's Kelly doing?" he asked, obviously trying to change the subject.

Bellaniece laughed.  "Kelly's doing well.  Dr. Izayoi says he'll be able to complete her grafts with another surgery.  He's . . . He's optimistic."

"Yeah . . . I just don't like that guy . . ."

"Why is that?"

"I'm not sure.  Something about him . . . He just . . ." Cain shrugged.  "He rubs me wrong, I guess."

"He's actually a pretty nice man," Bellaniece asserted, careful to keep her tone neutral.  "In fact, I really like him."

Cain snorted.  "Ugh, just keep him away from me."

"Why?"

He followed Bellaniece into another store.  "I can't put my finger on it . . . Anyway, not like that matters, right?"

"You know, Daddy, Dr. Izayoi is very, very intelligent.  Did you know he's doing specialized research?"

"Is he?" Cain asked, standing back as Bellaniece shuffled through a rack of summer dresses.

"Yes, he's researching the use of condoms to prevent accidental mating."

Cain coughed indelicately.  "What?"

"He's researching the use of—"

"I heard what you said, Bellaniece.  I knew he was a little pervert—"

Bellaniece rolled her eyes and placed a hand in the center of Cain's chest to interrupt his tirade.  "It makes sense, you know?  He's not researching it just to give license to run out and have promiscuous sex.  He wants to gain a better understanding of youkai, and how things work."

Cain's expression was dubious at best.  "I think you should stay away from Dr. Deviant," he said slowly.

Bellaniece giggled.  "I didn't say I was researching it," she assured him, brushing aside the feelings of guilt that nagged her since she was carrying three condoms in her purse—courtesy of a bathroom vending machine.  "I just thought it was interesting; that's all . . ."

"Interesting?  Try demented."

She didn't really think that he'd be overly impressed with Kichiro's research.  Wincing inwardly as the memory of the irritation Kichiro had tried to hide after she'd told him she had to take a shower to wash off his scent, coupled with the lingering hint of sadness in his eyes when he'd walked her home, Bellaniece sighed and peeked at her father.  Staring around with an almost bored expression on his face, he looked like he was a million miles away.  She smiled.  "Daddy?  Can I ask you a question?"

"Okay," he agreed.  "What?"

Twisting her hands together in a decidedly nervous fashion, she shrugged in what was meant to be an offhanded gesture.  "What would you say if I told you that I thought I'd found my mate?"

The shift in Cain's aura was immediate and intense.  Bellaniece stole another glance at his face and gulped.  He didn't look angry or upset, but the instantaneous panic that he hid quickly enough made her wish she could take back her question.  Shifting his weight to one foot while he cleared his throat, Cain leveled a thoughtful stare on his daughter and slowly shook his head.  "Did you?"

Forcing a laugh that was a little too loud, a little too happy, Bellaniece waved her hand in blatant dismissal.  "What?  Oh, no!  I just meant that I'm older now, and . . . Would it be so bad?"

"Bad?  No . . . A little unexpected, maybe . . . or a lot unexpected . . ."

"Well, I am eighteen now . . ."

"Yeah, I know."  Cain smiled sadly.  "Maybe I forgot."

"You know, I could really go for something to eat," Bellaniece said, grabbing Cain's arm and dragging him toward the exit, "and it's my birthday, so you have to let me choose the restaurant."

Cain chuckled.  "As you wish, my lady."

Bellaniece laughed.  'Maybe I can stay Daddy's little girl, just for a tiny bit longer . . .'

'But it's not really fair to Kichiro, is it?'

'No . . . It's not.'

'He just wants to be with you, Belle.  He wants to take care of you, and you want that, too.'

'I know I do,' she thought with a shake of her head.  'Of course I do!  I just . . .' The fleeting image of Cain's very real alarm shot through her mind, and she winced again.  Was he thinking of the things that he thought were inevitable?  Was he worried that finding a mate meant that he would be free of her?  Free to keep his promise?  'I wish it were easier.'

For once her youkai wasn't mean or snide.  'So do I.  You know Kichiro would take care of that, too, if it came down to it.  He'd lie to your father because you asked him to.'

'I know.  I just don't want it to come to that.'

'You can't put Kichiro off forever.'

'I know that, too.'

Her youkai sighed.  'Enough of this, Belle!  It's our birthday, right?  Let's just enjoy it with your father.'

Bellaniece smiled as Cain hooked the door to the small café and held it open for her.  He excused himself after they'd been showed to a table, and Bellaniece jumped when the trill of her cell phone startled her.

"Hello?"

"Ah, just the girl I wanted to talk to."

She grinned at the softness in Kichiro's tone.  "Really?"

"Absolutely.  Listen . . . I made plans for this evening."

Bellaniece's bubble of contentment that had formed when she'd first heard Kichiro's voice burst like an overinflated balloon.  "I see," she replied, reminding herself that she did tell him that she would be spending the day with her father.  "Then I suppose I'll see you tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?  Wha—?  No . . . I made plans for you later."

A ridiculous grin broke over her features as she held the phone a little closer, dropping her voice to a near whisper.  "Did you, now?  And these plans . . . Do they involve you and me and certain . . . illicit acts?"

"Illicit?  Hmm . . . I like that . . . but actually, no.  It involves you and me and . . . a few others . . . I'll pick you up at five?"

Bellaniece glanced at her watch and giggled.  It was only one.  How she'd manage to wait till five was completely beyond her.  "I bought something for you."

"You did?  It isn't my birthday."

Heart hammering wildly as she considered the things she'd hidden in her purse, Bellaniece giggled.  "I couldn't resist."

"Okay, then thank you.  I've got to go.  My next appointment's here.  I'll see you at five, all right?"

Bellaniece turned off the phone and set it on the table.  'Five . . .' She sighed.  Five seemed like such a long way off.

Cain slipped into the chair across from her, sparing her an almost confused glance as he sat back in his chair.  "Is something wrong, Bellaniece?"

"Wrong?  No . . . Why?"

Cain shrugged as the confusion shifted into something more akin to suspicion.  "No reason," he muttered.  "You looked . . . Never mind."

"You know, I've had a really good time today, just the two of us," Bellaniece commented.

He smiled, grabbing his menu and turning his attention to the restaurant's offerings.  "Me, too."

-8888888888888888888888888888888888-

Cain deliberately closed the studio door to block out the muffled sounds of merriment that siphoned into his apartment despite the thick walls and heavy iron door.  If he weren't dog-youkai, it wouldn't have been an issue, and knowing that the origin of those sounds was the apartment beside his—Gin's apartment . . . He sighed and dug out his sketchpad and pencils, ignoring the nagging voice in the back of his mind that reminded him that he'd promised to make an appearance.

"It's just dinner and cake, really," Gin said.  He could hear the wet slap of a spatula in cake batter over the clear phone connection.  "I'd really like for you to come over."

"All right," he said, scratching his chin idly as he waited for Bellaniece to reemerge from the bathroom in the quiet restaurant.  "I suppose I could do that, since you asked."

Gin giggled.  "Oh, no, I've got to run.  Kichiro-nii-chan's here with some food . . . Five, Cain, don't forget!"

That should have been his first clue.

"He's researching the use of condoms to prevent accidental mating . . ."

Cain made a face as he dropped the open sketchpad on the table and used his claws to sharpen the pencil.  Kichiro Izayoi.  Why did he always get Cain's hackles rising?

'Who cares what he researches as long as he doesn't think he's researching it on my daughter . . .'

'Why would he do that, Cain?  You know, they did say he's gay, didn't they?'

Cain snorted, snapping the pencil lead and sighing when he turned it to sharpen it once more.  'Gin says he isn't.'

'With as sheltered as they've kept her, do you honestly think that they'd tell her that her beloved brother is iffy?'

'I don't know . . . He doesn't seem gay to me . . . That doesn't matter, anyway.  I don't care what he is or isn't so long as he stays away from Bellaniece.'

'And this is assuming Bellaniece would have him.'

Cain conceded that with a slightly relieved nod.  'That's true . . .'

'So what's the real reason you didn't want to go to Gin's apartment tonight?'

'I told Bellaniece I have a headache.'

'Which was a lie.'

'Not completely.  I'm working on one.'

'Admit it.  The main reason you didn't want to go over there is because you want to have Gin all to yourself, and you're jealous because they're there, too.'

'Don't be absurd.'

'You know it's true.  Her family's there, and they're probably all over her.  If it weren't bad enough that you know she washed your scent off her, then there's a good chance she smells more like her family than ever, and you really hate that, don't you?"

"Cain?"

He hadn't heard her enter the room.  So wrapped up in his dark thoughts, he hadn't sensed her presence until she spoke.  Glancing over his shoulder and absently noting her slight show of nerves, Gin shifted from one foot to the other.  "Bellaniece said you have a headache.  Is there anything I can do?"

Why was it that Gin's very presence had the ability to calm him?  "No, I'll be fine."

She nodded.  "It'd mean a lot to Bellaniece if you came over, just for a minute," she prodded.

"Gin . . ."

"Please?"

He sighed.

"You don't have to stay, if you don't want to."

"All right," he gave in, tossing down the pencil and scooting the stool back as he stood up.  "Just for a few minutes."

Gin smiled and grabbed his hand, dragging him through his apartment toward the door.  She let go as they neared her door.  He caught her arm.  "Gin . . . this isn't. . . a birthday party or something, is it?"

She blinked in surprise and nodded slowly.  "Well, yes . . . It's not a problem, is it?"

Trying not to grimace as he sighed and shook his head, he tamped down the urge to head right back toward his apartment.  "I don't—"

"Daddy!" Bellaniece exclaimed happily as she opened the door and threw her arms around her father.  "I'm so glad you're feeling better!"

All his protests died before he could express them out loud.  Seeing Bellaniece so happy . . . He stifled a sigh and let her pull him inside.

Caught off guard by the number of people in attendance, Cain had known that there were quite a few squeezed into Gin's tiny apartment.  He hadn't realized there were that many.  Her entire family was there, including Sesshoumaru and Kagura, Toga and Sierra with children in tow . . . Shippou and Rin, and even Sesshoumaru's youngest daughter, Aiko with her mate.  A few others milled around—kitsune hanyous that were obviously Shippou and Rin's offspring, and even some who Cain didn't recognize in the least.

Only serving to add to his disorientation was the inexplicable feeling that he was being scrutinized.  No one seemed to notice that he'd arrived, and he hesitated, lingering near the door.  Gin hurried over and filled a plate with an assortment of cold appetizers, slipping it into his hand with a napkin and a bright smile before one of Toga's daughters grabbed her hand and tugged her over to watch the video game they'd hooked up to Gin's television.

"So is he going to show his face?"

Cain blinked and turned to eye the hanyou beside him.  InuYasha wasn't looking at him, was scowling at his daughter, who was holding one of the controllers and losing to Toga's oldest daughter.  Obviously speaking to the oldest of his twin sons, the surly patriarch of the Izayoi family didn't seem to notice or care that Cain had arrived.

"Maybe he had something better to do," Ryomaru scoffed, his tone skeptical at best.

InuYasha snorted.  "His own daughter's birthday party, and he don't even fucking show?  Keh!"

"Well, you know, not all fathers are as anal as you, oyaji."

"Anal, my ass."

Cain rolled his eyes.  'Just another reason to despise Gin's family . . . at least the male members of it . . .'

"She's doing well enough in her training.  Can't believe she wasn't taught how to defend herself," InuYasha grumbled.

Cain's head snapped to the side, and he didn't try to hide his glower.  "I assume that jibe was intended for me?"

"Damn straight," InuYasha shot back.

"It's really none of your business," Cain growled.  "However, if you must know, I thought that it would be wiser, given that she is hanyou and, unlike your offspring, has nothing to contain her youkai blood."

"Self-defense ain't something that should affect that."

Cain narrowed his gaze and nodded slowly.  "Then thank you for taking it upon yourself to train her."

InuYasha snorted.  "Think nothing of it.  By the way, stay away from my pup.  She's starting to stink."

"Pardon me?"

"InuYasha," Kagome cut in, hurrying over with an alarmed expression as she grasped her mate's arm.  "He is her sensei."

"And her friend," Cain couldn't help adding.

Kagome shot him a curious glance.  InuYasha broke into a low growl as Ryomaru whipped around to eye Cain, too.  "Of course they're friends," Kagome went on, raising her voice slightly to be heard over InuYasha's rumbles.  "Gin's always adored Zelig-san's art.  You know that."

InuYasha snorted.  "That'd better be all the fuck that's going on."

"Gin's a grown woman," Cain ground out.  "Why don't you learn to accept that?"

"Yeah, and maybe you should pay more attention to what your pup's doing instead of worrying about mine."

Cain scowled.  "What does that mean?"

Kagome tugged on InuYasha's arm.  "InuYasha . . . It's fine.  Whatever's meant to be, will be."

InuYasha snorted but let Kagome drag him away.  Ryomaru shook his head and stalked over to his sister, leaving Cain alone to wonder just what was going on . . .

"What would you say if I told you that I thought I'd found my mate?"

He shook his head.  If Bellaniece had found her mate, she would have told him.  He would know.  Bellaniece told him everything, didn't she?

'She does.  Of course she does . . .'

Cain sighed and shook his head.  'I knew this was a bad idea . . .'

'Think of Bellaniece.'

'Yeah, Bellaniece.'

"Belle is such a beautiful girl!"

"Such a nice girl, too . . ."

"Belle said that she's never really had a birthday party before?  Poor thing . . ."

"Well, you can't really blame her.  I mean, her mother hasn't been around, has she?  Have you heard what happened to her?"

"Nope, nothing . . . but you have to respect a man who can raise such a great daughter, don't you think?"

"Of course, of course!  Still it makes you wonder . . ."

Cain stifled a growl at the short form of Bellaniece's name and tried not to glower at the two kitsune hanyou woman who probably didn't realize they were being overheard.

"What?  No present?" Shippou asked quizzically, sidling up beside Cain with a suspicious frown.  Sesshoumaru stepped around Shippou and cast his son-in-law a rather bored stare.

Cain slipped the plate onto the small stand table beside the door and shrugged, jamming his hands into his pockets as he shrugged in what he hoped was an offhanded way.  He'd known the kitsune youkai since he was a child.  At that time, he hadn't lived with Sesshoumaru, but Shippou was around often enough to be a nuisance, even back then.  It seemed to Cain that the kitsune loved to torment everyone around him, and while he liked Shippou well enough, Cain couldn't help but feel a little reluctant to speak.  "I didn't realize there was going to be a party," he stated.  "I bought her presents earlier.  It wasn't a big deal."

Shippou nodded.  "Yeah, it was pretty sudden.  She looks like she's having fun."

Following the direction of Shippou's gaze, Cain nodded slowly.  Bellaniece stood with the women, laughing and talking in hushed tones.  Kichiro wandered over to them and mumbled something to his daughter.  She glanced at him, her expression guarded, before she nodded and followed Kichiro toward the table.  Stacked with festively wrapped boxes, she looked cautious but happy.  Kichiro picked up one box and thrust it into her hands.  Bellaniece giggled as she tore off the paper and ripped open the box inside.

"Nothing like seeing them tear into their presents," Sesshoumaru mused as he stood back beside Cain, his attention on Bellaniece.

"What?  Oh . . . I don't normally . . . I let her pick out what she wants.  I never wrap her presents."

"Well, she is pretty old for that, I suppose."

Cain shook his head.  "No, I mean . . . I've never wrapped her birthday presents."

"You've never wrapped her presents?" Shippou blurted rather loudly, his expression befuddled as he gaped at the North American tai-youkai.

Stiffening as those around him fell quiet, Cain shrugged and stared at his daughter, ignoring the odd looks he was gathering from those nearby.  "It's not that strange, I assure you."

Bellaniece didn't seem to notice the lull, and with a giggle, she pulled the silly cut-glass tiara out of the box in her hands.  Her eyes met his, and Cain forced a dim smile.  Bellaniece's hesitant grin blossomed, and for just a moment, she looked even more like her mother than she ever had before.

'Don't do that, Cain . . . It won't help you now.'

Gritting his teeth as he tried to listen to his youkai's advice, he couldn't quite staunch the flow of incoherent memories; disjointed visions of a life that ended much too soon, but the memories weren't in a conscious order.  No rhyme or reason, no order or logic, they came at him, tore at him, and Cain dug his claws into his palm to keep himself from screaming.

He had to get out of there.  He had to put some distance between the happy façade and the awful truth that nagged him.  Skirting around the gathering to finally stop behind his daughter, Cain squeezed her shoulder gently, kissed her cheek as she smiled at him.  "Happy birthday, Bellaniece."

"Thank you, Daddy!  I'm so glad you came."

He tried to return her smile.  She hugged him quickly, and he held her close, stroking her hair, so soft, so brilliant, so much like hers.  Letting her go, blending back into the other guests as Bellaniece clapped her hands and reached for another box, Cain retraced his steps, ignoring Sesshoumaru's knowing gaze as he slipped out the door and into the sanctity of the deserted hallway.

"Enjoy your party, my lady."  He swallowed hard, striding toward his empty apartment and the blessed silence he needed.  'Daddy . . . Daddy loves you.'

~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~= ~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~*~=~
A/N:
== == == == == == == == == ==
Reviewers
==========
MMorg
Drake Clawfang —— EAP —— nerwenfaelvirin —— OROsan0677 —— inuyoukaimama —— Glenda —— inuyasha-lovers —— xuaeved (Yes, she is … LOL!) —— tinky —— JBird7986 —— Angelstars —— NekoKamiFL —— forechunkukee —— trinigirl524 —— Akihanah —— WhisperingWolf —— Rawben
==========
FFnet

BloodyKit sune —— InuChickie —— My Own Self (believe it or not, the next chapter of G2 is nearly done … lol!) —— Elizabeth Hemingway —— InuDani —— ArtificialRed —— Flames101 —— imissjapan —— Kirara-higurashi —— Zacho —— SurfinDiva —— Iloveinus589 —— xiamurgodx —— MoonKitii —— Ryguy5387 —— Beautiful Massacre —— pheonix-tabuutz —— Lila Elensar —— Toya's Gurl —— SilverStarWing
==========
Final Thought from Cain
:
Happy birthday, Bellaniece
==========
Blanket disclaimer for this fanfic (will apply to this and all other chapters in Justification):  I do not claim any rights to InuYasha or the characters associated with the anime/manga.  Those rights belong to Rumiko Takahashi, et al.  I do offer my thanks to her for creating such vivid characters for me to terrorize.

~Sue~