Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Rendezvous with Fate ❯ May ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Revision:
06/29/06 : minor grammar, added description Akane's kimono
04/02/06 : common mistakes in the English language
01/14/06 : changed tenses (had), changed quotation mark punctuation
10/18/05 : grammar
12/28/04 : Changed Rian's Birthing Scene

After the ball is over, after the break of morn
After the dancers leaving, after the stars are gone;
Many a heart is aching, if you could read them all;
Many hopes have banished, after the ball;
Charles K. Harris

Rendezvous with Fate V.3
by iCe
Chapter 6
_... That first celebration was a disaster, *everything* went wrong ..._

The month that passed since Nodoka's arrival felt longer than it really was for Akane. After her mother-in-law's appearance, they were furnished with a palanquin and headed towards the Kanto Mountains. One of the samurai scouted ahead to prepare the inns where they would be sleeping in for the night. When they arrived, they were herded towards the donjon too quickly for Akane to notice the details of the old Japanese castle.
 
Her husband didn't see her for three days. She was left under constant samurai guard, and frankly, she felt insulted. She would have fought her way out if the swords they carried didn't look too much of a threat.
 
On the morning of her fourth day, Akane's routine, which barely consisted of anything other than the rudimentary functions of her body, was interrupted by Ifuku. Her maid came in not only with her food but with the kimono that was newly sewn for her. Then the maid expertly set about doing her work with Akane's dress and hair.
 
A few hours later, Akane stared back at the mirror. Hard. She blinked at the image that blinked back at her. She had never dressed so elaborately before. In her previous life, her hair was too short to be pulled up and piled on top of her head, Shimoda style (1), some of which artfully fell over her face.
 
The dress which Yofuku-san(2), Kodachi's seamstress, furbished was beautifully made with intricate designs. More importantly, the dress fit her, unlike the others she currently owned. Yofuku-san also promised that she would alter the length in the fabric so that it would fit her body shape better, after seeing the haphazard tucks and sewing that Akane had made with hers. It was a good thing that essentially all kimonos were made in one size.
 
The cloth was cut of silk, an expensive and formal fabric. Ranma's seal or mon was stenciled on to it in the five places designated for the ruling class and lent the kimono formality. His crest were three stacked triangles forming a pyramid. It approximated Happosai's own crest, which was a plant with three triangular leaves. The dragon, which she learned was the twin's personal symbol was sinuously entwined around the kimono, meticulously painted in.
 
The color, though subdued, proved a nice contrast to her dark wavy hair. She looked down at her waist and placed her hand on it. She earned it through sweating through training. Now all she had to deal with are the ties on her knees that Ifuku insist she wear with the kimono
 
"You look beautiful, my lady," Ifuku complemented her. Akane was not sure if she meant it or if the girl was just saying it to please her. She never could read people very well. Ifuku then proceeded to hand her the numerous things that were supposed to go inside the kimono's sleeves, it was a relief that the maid didn't insist on binding her knees like the last time.
 
"Thank you, Ifuku. Although I would rather have been given more attention by my husband than be locked up like this." She twisted a little in her seat, wondering about Ranko. Jealousy was a very wicked thing, although Akane never thought about it that way. She never truly delved into her feelings for Ranma. "Tell me Ifuku, did you happen to see Ranko-san?"
 
The woman looked startled since she was one of the few who knew about Ranma's curse. He told her not to speak of it, so she hadn't. She was loyal to her lord.
 
Most people's speculations were so far off the mark that the maid sometimes wished that she could tell the truth, but she was ordered to secrecy. She didn't find any hindrance to the order. If she did tell someone about it, which was already highly unlikely, no one would believe her words. It was certainly something that bended the laws of reality. It was rare that her mistress wanted to talk about "Ranko". It was highly unusual that she brought it up now. "Yes, my lady."
 
"Do you think my husband would dance(3)with her instead of me?" she whispered softly, not noticing she clutched the soft fabric of her dress. She looked conscious of the way she spoke and Ifuku thought that since the accident her lady has been trying to act normal so much.
 
Ifuku pitied her to an extent. She was scared witless, either from her first meeting with the society, the prospect of meeting Ranma's relatives, or some unpredictable calamity. If it was truly loss of memory which ailed her, she could not possibly ready her for what was ahead, to meet her husband's ex-fiancées. And even though she felt pity towards her mistress, she could only remain silent, for she held a greater loyalty to Ranma. "Lord Ranma would not dance with Ranko-sama, lady. I'm very sure of it."
 
Ifuku almost saw the wave of comfort that passed through her, but it lasted only for a moment. When she pinned the last pearl and announced that she was ready, Kodachi jumped out of the chair and turned slowly in front of the full-length mirror. She smiled, pleased at what she saw, then turned to Ifuku and hugged her warmly. "I couldn't have done this whole get up without you, thank you."
 
Almost against her will, Ifuku smiled. She was starting to like her mistress. Akane seemed to be trying so hard to fit in a world that did its best to shun her. "Lady Akane, your husband is waiting for you," she reminded Akane, and hoped fervently that her mistress would not be distressed too much.
 
 
~~~
 
 
The well worn path that led to the donjon in the Kanto plains was filled with kaga and people walking, which signified the enormousness of the event that was about to take place.
 
There was a particular palanquin that was rather unusual compared to the rest, notable for the Chinese silks and embroidery it used for curtains. Inside this palanquin sat two women facing each other.
 
Kuh Lon, the gnarled old woman, and elder of the Amazon tribe, was staring at the young woman who sat dejectedly in front of her.
 
"<Great-grandmamma, do you think Ranma will be glad to see me?>" Xian Pu asked Kuh Lon in her native tongue, her aggravation grew as they neared Happosai's donjon. She has not seen him for seven years. His marriage has been hard on her. Too Hard.
 
"<He would not faithfully send out invitations every year for you to come, if it was not so,>" Kuh Lon answered looking at her straight in the eyes patting her clenched hands. The movement soothed the younger girl. "<Do not worry overly, child. He is not a vengeful sort. I think he understood what you did and why you did it.>"
 
"<There is only so much rejection one can take,>" she whispered staring out the kaga towards the setting sun. Kuh Lon looked at her great-granddaughter shifting her gnarled hand on the child's shoulder. She has yet to understand fully why Xian Pu wanted to set out and visit Ranma after such a long time. Kuh Lon fully thought Mu Tsu captured her attentions. She did not like it now that her theory was proven wrong.
 
She resolved to talk to her great-granddaughter when they returned to the village. 'Maybe it's time to set her to a more rigorous training routine.' Hopefully her duties will keep her occupied enough to stop thinking of Ranma.
 
But Ranma was a man that was too hard to forget. To a girl like as Shampoo, who by Amazon law was actually betrothed to him and who clearly loved him, it was hard reality to accept that he chose someone other than her. His choice came to haunt Cologne.
 
The fool Happosai forbade, *forbade*, Ranma to tell her the reasons for choosing Kodachi, which made her conclude that it was more of Happosai's meddling than Ranma's actual affection for the girl. Back then it seemed that at twenty-two Ranma would be a bachelor forever.
 
Kuh Lon and Xian Pu's departure was more than abrupt, with only a note for good-bye and a meeting with Nabiki. Because it was nearly seven years since they left the islands, their return would take the twins by surprise.
 
She would see what happened to her most prized students.
 
 
~~~
 
 
Ukyo bit her lip as she spread her skirts about her. She planned her departure so that she would leave and arrive early in order to attend the gathering for Lady Nodoka.
 
Although she accused Ranma of torturing himself, she was a hypocrite. She did so as well. Though he went to visit her because of her daughter, she visited him because of her own selfish reasons. Because his marriage did not stop her from loving him, because she would always love him.
 
Even though he continually told her to find herself a husband, even though he has a daughter whose mother she never knew about, even though he married a harridan, she would always love him. A tear escaped her eye as she looked past the trees and she quickly wiped it away. It was no good if he saw her in tears, he would only offer comfort she did not want. Pain was what she chose to live with so long ago. It reminded her that she lived only because she could give comfort to him.
 
She sighed as she moved about the donjon's many gates, two samurai flanking her. As she looked at the gay trimmings of the donjon, she wondered about their last conversation with each other. Maybe it was truly the time to see if she could still be his daughter's foster mother.
 
She accepted the role because of their friendship. Maybe now that she knew that he could never love her and that she would always love him it was time to set a little distance between the two of them.
 
'Tonight...' Ukyo thought, 'Tonight, I decide.'
 
 
~~~
 
 
Akane went down the stairs, searching the crowd for a friendly face and finding none. When that failed her, she tried a familiar one. However, with the short time she spent in Rose Brier and the very few visitors that came in the house, it was unlikely that she could find any. All gave her pointed looks of hatred. It was obvious with their whispering and the quick snap of fans to hide their mouths. It was going to be the longest and hardest night she had to live by yet.
 
She schooled her face into a smile and tried to walk gracefully down the stairs. Unfortunately, grace was not one of her better attributes. She didn't know if it was good or bad luck that chanced her when she saw Ranma walking towards her. He was certainly not the familiar face one would be looking for in the sea of people that was presented to her.
 
She almost made it to the bottom of the stairs, when she tripped on her dress. She was certainly not used to wearing the geta (4) nor the kimono, except for the rare festivals that she used them and certainly not with the leg bindings and full set of apparel she had on now. She plummeted straight down to Ranma who gracefully caught her. 'It isn't fair.' She thought stubbornly, 'Why would my husband be more graceful than I am?'
 
He did save her from an embarrassing tumble, she smiled when she looked up to thank him, but he cast an angry look, her smile faltered. "Ranma, what's wrong?"
 
Ranma, fully expecting she was drunk, was taken aback when he smelled no alcohol from her breath. "Nothing," he answered as he looked back to the doorway where Nabiki stood. "I just wanted to tell you that you're on your own here, Kodachi. You're not liked and certainly not welcomed." He left her alone at the stairs, left to her own resources.
 
She stared at his retreating back until Nabiki pulled him aside to talk, people were a lot freer with their tongues, and she heard a question of her presence. For all that, she wanted to shout that she was invited there. That she had more right to be here than they, but it was clear that she was the outsider.
 
 
-
 
 
Nabiki led her brother to the nearest empty room. She looked at him sternly, tapping her fan against her shoulder. "You invited Shampoo along? And Ukyo is here with Kodachi? Do you truly seek trouble?"
 
"I've always invited Shampoo, Ukyo always comes and Kodachi's just here because Happosai demanded our presence. Since every old fiancée of mine was invited, she took it as an invitation. Now she refuses to leave," Ranma answered flippantly. "Besides, Shampoo has always turned down the invitation."
 
"Surprise, she's here," Nabiki said dryly her hand seeking the sake the maid gave her. "I'm going to need this." She drank it down in one gulp not bothering to ask Ranma if he wanted any. "That's all three of your most enthusiastic former fiancées Ranma. Do you remember what happened the *last* time they were all in one room together? Do I actually need to tell you *all* your former fiancées are here? Is the hand of god moving against me?"
 
"All *your* former fiancés are here too, Nabiki," Ranma reminded her lightly.
 
"Yes, but mine are all very easy to handle," Nabiki pointed out ruefully, rubbing her shoulders lightly. "Yours always give me a migraine."
 
His brow furrowed as he remembered the details but waved Nabiki's concern off. "They'll be more behaved this time Nabiki. I'm married remember?" he reminded her softly as her hand threatened to snatch down another wine bottle.
 
"*That's* what I'm worried about!" Nabiki complained. There was a small rise in her voice and the annoyed look that Ranma knew were signs of her fast approaching limit. "Your so-called-wife is here, you know!"
 
Someone politely knocked on the door and Sasuke stepped in shortly afterwards to give them the reports on whereabouts of certain people of interest. "The children are asleep, Lord Ranma, Lady Nabiki. The honored Cologne is on the ballroom, Miss Shampoo is out somewhere in the house, she has slipped me and Miss Ukyo has been looking for the Lord Ranma," he delivered all of this while bowing and in a very precise manner.
 
Ranma looked at Sasuke in surprise then at Nabiki. "You made him keep track of everybody?" He looked incredulous.
 
Nabiki didn't take any offense. "Not quite. Sasuke is extremely loyal to the Kuno house." Nabiki smiled, Ranma knew that she secretly respected people who didn't obey her, for some uncanny reason. But for them to earn her respect, they had to have the right reasons to do so. "It seems he won't be bribed."
 
"Few of the servants can be," Ranma reminded her when Sasuke disappeared to do his duties after the dismissive wave of Nabiki's hand. "That's how you want them to be."
 
If Nabiki was negating the statement or agreeing to it, Ranma didn't know. She just looked at the empty porcelain cup in her hand, thinking about the problem at hand. "Shampoo is out somewhere. I'm going out to look for her. *You* keep track of your lovely wife and try to invent something feasible when one of Shampoo's doors pop up this time."
 
After she finished giving orders she hurried out of the room in search for the woman. Nabiki had always been bossy. She wanted a firm grasp on things and wanted to control everything. He didn't know if she was scared of the imbalance the women brought with them, or was just plainly worried about their mother's birthday. This event was turning into an uncontrollable situation, and they were just beginning.
 
 
~~~
 
 
Ukyo looked about at the walls. How long has it been since she walked these halls? She couldn't recall. Even though she was welcome inside and was welcomed warmly, she had never wandered past the banquet, had never shown any interest in the passageways that boasted of its grandeur. This was Happosai's domain, and the perverted freak asked her to be his consort once. She shuddered at the memory. The old man would ask any woman out. She was surprised he didn't keep a harem.
 
For the first time, she was able to see the rooms and wander around a little. The samurai were a little lax on their duties inside the donjon, making the outer walls of the sanctum the main priority of their watchful eyes. This gave her leeway to sightsee. When she was finally able to navigate her way around the confusing structures, she was able to arrive at one of the guest room where Hanae slept soundly on the futon.
 
She somewhat regretted that she was only a part-time foster mother to the child, for she loved her dearly. It seemed everything in the girl's life was transitory. The impermanence of life was so impressed on Hanae that it was a complete mystery to how the child remained unchanged.
 
And yet... the child loved Rose Brier, more than Ukyo's residence. Even if Hanae's presence at Ukyo's was not as easily removed than it was in Rose Brier because of Kodachi.
 
She almost laughed at herself. Here she was wishing that she was more than a foster mother to Hanae when she was contemplating on leaving the child forever. She was a walking contradiction. Her brain dictated something and her heart entirely another.
 
'Maybe I've listened to my heart far too long.' Ukyo thought as she brushed back Hanae's unruly red hair. In her heart, the girl lying before her would always be hers. However, she knew that she must end the charade. No matter how much she wanted to be a part of the Saotomes' life, she would always be on the outside looking in. She bit her lip as she watched the shadows cast by the lamps play across the young girl's face, she looked so peaceful.
 
Ukyo knew what she must do, and even as she felt as if she was ripping a part out of her heart. She knew it was the right choice. Leaving the girl's side, she slid into the darkness leaving Hanae forever.
 
In that moment, Ukyo felt empty, amidst the happy songs trailing from the ballroom, the halls felt very much alone. Their merriment only reminded of her own solitude.
 
It was fateful then, that she stumbled upon Shampoo inside the garden of black roses. Happosai promised Kodachi they would keep the garden for her pleasure. One of the promises along a string of promises that kept Kodachi happily married to Ranma.
 
Her eyes glittered with anger, how long was it since she has heard from the Shampoo? Her mind flew back to their last meeting, long enough... but still not that too long that she would forget.
 
Her former rival was staring at the roses when she entered the room. She never looked up from them, nor did she move though Ukyo was sure that the Chinese woman sensed she was standing there. Shampoo took a black rose from the bush and brought it up to her eyes.
 
"Is beautiful, ne?" she asked softly. Her Japanese was still bad, although it was better than seven years ago and certainly would've been perfect if she exerted more effort trying to learn it. "So beautiful, forget thorns -- there."
 
A trickle of blood ran down her delicate hand. She didn't bother to wipe it away, dark crimson meeting the pitch black of the rose. It created such an intricate picture that Shampoo was fascinated with it for a while then her eyes turned to Ukyo seeking the other person for something familiar. "When last time we see thorns in roses, Ukyo?"
 
Ukyo didn't know what to answer, she didn't know what the Amazon meant by that. She didn't know if Shampoo meant Kodachi, Ranma, or something else all together, but she felt obliged to talk to the girl. "Kodachi will not appreciate you in here."
 
Shampoo let out a small laugh, a laugh choked out by a sob. "When has spatula girl started to consider rose woman's thoughts?" A glimmer of laughter passed her eyes for a moment. "You and Shampoo can beat crazy woman."
 
"It's different now, Shampoo," Ukyo murmured looking at Shampoo's hand, a web of blood already spread through it. She he couldn't look up to Shampoo's eyes. "She's married to Ranma now."
 
"Yes..." Shampoo trailed off. Ukyo knew it was not comfortable to talk with Shampoo, but she was thankful it was Kodachi whom she found and not Kodachi. There were small miracles. "Shampoo would have been happier if ai -- Ranma married spatula girl. Rose girl no good for him."
 
Airen -- Ukyo pondered on Shampoo's slip. Shampoo had been about to call Ranma airen. After all this time, she still thought of him as her beloved husband. Not so much different as she did. Her heart reached out to Shampoo. They both experienced the same pain, and they both longed for something they could never have. Yearning -- they say it is more purifying than loving. The seven years was hard on the both of them.
 
The rustle of her skirts was the only warning that Nabiki walked in on them. She smiled congenially. Ukyo was reminded of a fox finding her prey. "Shampoo, Ukyo, what a pleasant surprise. What are you two doing in this desolate garden of Kodachi's?"
 
Both knew Nabiki didn't stumble into them, but looked for them, no doubt not trusting them on their own. She was about to give Nabiki a piece of her mind when Shampoo beat her to it, "Is sorry, Nabiki, looking at roses."
 
"Kodachi does have a natural knack for making her flowers bloom beautifully, doesn't she?" she asked as she took note of the bloody rose on Shampoo's hand. Nabiki rarely missed the details. It was one of the things the twins were forced to learn when they acquired Nerima.
 
"Sorry Nabiki, just looking around," Ukyo answered nonchalantly, turning to leave the conservatory with Shampoo following quietly. Before they could move into the hallway, Shampoo turned back suddenly to talk to Nabiki.
 
"Nabiki, question," Shampoo said solemnly as she stood in front of Ranma's formidable sister. "Do you complain why there are roses on thorns or are you thankful that there are roses among thorns?"
 
There was a long pause before Nabiki could answer, "Often, they're just the same thing." She looked at Shampoo then frowned wondering how she could have missed the changes in the Amazon when they were so distinct. "You're different than the Amazon I last saw seven years ago."
 
"Shampoo forced to change," she answered as she turned around. The silence that followed ringing in her ears just as loudly as any gong could've produced. It was then Nabiki knew there would be no catfights starting from these two, their sad faces told her too much.
 
 
~~~
 
 
Although Ranma was not looking for Kodachi, he found her anyway. She seemed the most out of place person in the whole celebration. His eyes were drawn to her unwillingly. Her tread brought forth raised gloves, spread fans, whispers. He should have been happy, after all this was the wife who betrayed him.
 
But he wasn't.
 
He was sorry for her, which wasn't what any normal human being should feel towards Saotome Kodachi. He was disgusted because of his attitude and when she sat down over at one of the solitary chairs, he almost went to her to comfort her. The only thing that prevented him from truly going was the fear that she would laugh at him falling for something like that. He didn't think his pride could take it. 'The things we destroy with pride, the things we could heal without it.'
 
After all that was said and done, he didn't love his wife. Though he tolerated her because he must, he still didn't want her hurt. He was an idiot.
 
He watched as Hikaru Gosunkugi, a rake who has the reputation of sleeping with other men's wives including his own, walked up to her. And she smiled.
 
"I'm an idiot," Ranma muttered under his breath.
 
Nabiki, who came up from behind him, raised an eyebrow then gave a mocking frown. "Did you just call me an idiot?"
 
"What?" He pulled his gaze away from the two and turned to Nabiki. "No, I'm an idiot."
 
Looking over his shoulder, Nabiki's smile dimmed. She recognized the man Kodachi was associating with far too much. "It's Gosunkugi. You know, I never did figure how that wimp turned out that way."
 
A look of pain crossed Ranma's eyes. Nabiki was sorry she brought it up and decided not to follow it through. A memory trickled in the back of her mind but she could not call it forth.
 
"It was my fault." Ranma sighed as he looked down. "I think Kodachi concocted a potion, he got it before me. Instant mad raving lunatic."
 
Placing a hand on her brother's shoulder, Nabiki tried to comfort him. There were far too much incidents like this one. "You can't blame yourself for something like that. With things concerning Kodachi, no one is really to blame. Sometimes, not even her."
 
Nabiki walked her brother a bit farther from where Kodachi was. They didn't turn to look back.
 
-
 
Akane looked up at the first face that came to talk to her. He looked - tired. That was the only word that came up to mind when she saw him. He was a scrawny looking man with big eye bags leading her to wonder if he got enough sleep and nutrition. She didn't know what to say, she did not know anything at all.
 
"You look edible, my dear Kodachi," he said flourishing a rose he held in the back of his hand. It looked suspiciously like the roses grown in the backyard she spied moments before. For one thing it was black, and she was sure that that breed was rather uncommon. And secondly, the flower was broken off from the stem and not cut.
 
"Do I?" She didn't want to be rude, after all this was the first person that spoke to her. She couldn't just turn him away, even though she found herself immediately disliking the man.
 
"I thought you'd be in Nerima by now." He looked over the crowd, a bored gaze swept over him, making Akane wonder if her bored tone just managed to encourage him. "You did say you would stay for Rose Brier only for a short time."
 
"Why does everyone want me in Nerima?" Akane answered with a tinge of humor in her voice.
 
"I don't know about everyone, but I am glad that you're here," he said giving her another appreciative gaze. It didn't help to calm Akane's nerves. "Though this would be the last place I thought I'd find you. Your in-laws are one tough crowd."
 
An image of Nabiki superimposed with the older one of Nodoka's brought a shiver down her spine. They were hard to live with
 
"We could make our own fun, what do you say?"
 
Akane let out a grimace, suddenly understanding that he wasn't just friendly because he was taken by her personality. She knew that he wasn't going away with subtle hints of boredom. "Look, you obviously haven't heard, but I have a serious knock on the head and am currently suffering from amnesia. I currently have no memory of you."
 
"What? Amnesia?" He looked momentarily confused then he smiled at her. He caught on to her game then, or so he -- just like everybody else -- thought. "Ah well then let me introduce myself, I am Gosunkugi Hikaru. It's very hard to think that you have forgotten me...but ... let me enlighten you anyway."
 
And he continued to describe, very explicitly, to Akane's complete disgust, everything they had ever done.
 
 
~~~
 
 
Because Nabiki trusted the former rivals, she left them in one of the unused rooms. She only gave a piece of cloth for Shampoo to wipe her bloody hands and walked off to tend to the other things that she needed to do. Both Ukyo and Shampoo had stood still in the hallway since then.
 
It was Shampoo who broke the silence. She pointed towards a painting of Hanae hung on the wall, along with the line of other paintings of the Saotome Clan. At the far beginning was Happosai's picture in is youth. His looks did not change much, except for his balding white hair and the addition of wrinkles. Happosai liked the paintings done in Western portrait styles, all which were commissioned from the rare Portuguese artists that managed to wander into the lands.
 
"Is Ranma's child, yes?" Ukyo merely nodded. Shampoo studied the face of the child for a few minutes before she commented, "She look like her father in curse form."
 
"Don't let the hair deceive you. Other than it was red, her features are very far from that of Ranma's." She touched Ranma's picture fleetingly, Nabiki's and his were done on the same canvas. Both were wearing their red Chinese shirts and smiling. It was probably painted just after they arrived from China. The artist captured them completely, their eyes showing the vitality and eagerness they were wont to show back then. "Though she does move just like her father. She might have inherited a talent for the art."
 
"Features of painted girl far from Kodachi's," Shampoo stated as she watched Ukyo's muted actions. If her rival was not there, Shampoo would surely have done the same thing as well. From where she stood, she could see the twins' similarity, it wasn't apparent and needed the critical eye but it was there.
 
"She isn't Kodachi's daughter," Ukyo acceded, wondering if telling Shampoo a secret that wasn't hers to share was the right thing.
 
"Would an honorable man, Ranma, wrong rose woman even if he doesn't love her?" Shampoo probed looking at Ukyo and searching her for the answer. Ranma's honor has always been his unquestionable virtue. His word was his bond. Ranma never lied, never cheated and always tried to do what was right. Even if it means harm to himself.
 
It was a fair question. But Ranma never betrayed Kodachi by sharing Ukyo's bed, and from what it looked like, not by going to Shampoo's arms either. Ukyo did not know what to say, wondering if Shampoo asked the wrong question, or if there even was a right answer.
 
To question Ranma's honor in his marriage vows would mean questioning their own rigid belief in his character. It was something that they both did not want to do. They would have stayed silent for the rest of the evening if Cologne didn't walk in on them.
 
"You two look like you've seen ghosts," Cologne said as she pogoed around them. She then looked at the painting her great-granddaughter was studying and pogoed back a bit. "What a beautiful child!"
 
She hopped around for a few minutes, her frown emerging slowly as she took in the appearance of the child. She stared at it for a few moments before she turned to Ukyo. "Child, whose girl is she?"
 
The matriarch showed an uncanny interest towards Hanae. A sign that could be interpreted either as a bad or a good one, Ukyo chose her words carefully, "She's Ranma's."
 
"Is she Kodachi's child?" Cologne asked sharply.
 
"No... no..." Another overstep in her part.
 
"Do you know her mother?" The steady stream of questioning implied that Cologne has her own ideas about the maternity of the child in question. From the looks of it, Ukyou would not have liked the results.
 
"Details are sketchy at best, but no one knows." By this time Ukyo was shifting on her feet. She didn't know what the matriarch wanted to achieve by asking the questions.
 
"She is Hanae?"
 
Ukyo nodded.
 
Shampoo looked at her great-grandmother with interest. "<Grandmamma is something wrong?>"
 
"Shampoo, it's impolite to talk a language that someone in a room cannot understand," her reprimand was light although it achieved it desired effect: Shampoo looked chastised. Cologne wanted her heir to learn. "To answer your question, no there's nothing wrong. But I may need to talk to Ranma about the girl."
 
 
~~~
 
 
Akane was a modern girl... in a very feudal situation. She wasn't aware that if a man cornered you like that, it wasn't proper. The best way a samurai of Kodachi's caliber to handle the situation was to take Gosunkugi's head. Anything less would imply she liked his attentions. Since Kodachi never took his head, it implied that Kodachi willingly played these seductive games.
 
But Akane didn't know about protocol so she didn't even wound him. Gosunkugi continued his lascivious tales not believing her amnesia story. Akane tried to be nice to the man - the only person who talked to her. Even if he was more interested with her anatomy rather than conversation.
 
She decided she's had enough when he pushed her against the wall. "I think you should stop," Akane said firmly, but lightly enough not to be heard by the milling people.
 
He smiled and continued to do what he was doing. All things damned, Akane didn't care about the consequences. She shinned him and punched him in the face. She flexed her hand. Kodachi's delicate bone structure wasn't used to the breaking bricks she was accustomed to... that hurt.
 
Hikaru Gosunkugi doubled over. He was so much in pain that he didn't even let out a whimper. Seconds later he slumped to the ground clutching his nose and groin in agony. Akane was so mad that she didn't notice the world around her. She blindly stumbled out to find air. Any fresh air. She was just about to fall into an unknown samurai when Ranko caught her deftly with her left arm.
 
Ranko raised a questioning eyebrow at her and at her muddled up state. "If you really don't want his attention, kick that guy out of the grounds," her advice was given calmly although a bit skeptically.
 
She was past caring. "To hell with you. I'm doing what I think I should be doing."
 
Nabiki appeared swiftly, bending over Gosunkugi. Mostly because she wanted to know what happened than over concern for the man. She knew him enough to know the grief he caused her family. This Gosunkugi was different from the one she knew known years ago.
 
Her demeanor was grim when she rose and ordered the samurai under Ranma's house to throw the peasant out of the donjon. As soon as the orders left her mouth, samurai moved in on Gosunkugi. Nabiki walked towards watching the other samurai drag the limp body aside. "It seems he got out of hand. Kodachi kneed him."
 
Ranko dragged Akane to one of the unoccupied rooms with Nabiki following quietly behind forcing Akane on her knees. "I'm sure Gosunkugi didn't do anything he didn't try -- and succeeded in before. You've had your fun. You've had your most coveted scene, now I order you to stop this."
 
Akane looked up at her with wide eyes. 'Damn her. After I'm molested, she takes HIS side of the argument.' She snatched her hands from the woman's grip. "It was not at all fun, Ranko."
 
"End this," Ranko commanded, the voice of authority that was comfortable with the power she held. "Now."
 
"I want to see my husband," Akane demanded, not willing to submit to the consort's will. 'And where the hell is he? Enjoying the situation while letting his sister and his consort take care of the problem?'
 
"He is otherwise occupied," Ranko bit out, consciously wiping the wet drops of water that still remained on her face. Akane fleetingly dwelled on the fact that Ranko became wet so much. "Ranma has more things to think about than following his unruly wife, which is my job. He is currently --"
 
"Having an audience with Lord Happosai?" Nabiki asked hiding a smile with a fan she took out from the netsuke, a button designed to hold the fan inside her kimono. She fanned herself lightly.
 
Ranko let out a curse. Akane wondered how other women managed to cursed at this time whereas every time she did it, she was given a stern gaze. She stopped to think what was so important with the meeting with Happosai -- she didn't come up with any conclusions.
 
Ranko moved out to call for a guard and bit out her instructions, "Kodachi is not to leave her quarters." After dismissing them, she turned to Nabiki. "Stall Happosai, I have to do some things. Do whatever you think is best. Dance with my fiancées if you have to."
 
Nabiki nodded as she moved outside, a mention of water was heard and an order for a kettle for Ranko and then she was gone through the endless maze of the donjon.
 
Again, Akane wondered who Happosai was. Any thought in that direction was vanquished when she realized a more pressing problem. "I am *not* going to be confined in the four walls of this room, Ranko. I was invited here. As a guest I ask for my right to be let out."
 
"And as your MASTER--"
 
"As my *nothing*. I can acknowledge only *Ranma* as my master, and even that's a little sketchy on my entire --"
 
"I don't care!" Ranko was in front of her in a second shaking Akane's shoulders. Later, when Akane had enough time to think, she would marvel at Ranko's skill for manhandling someone superior to her in size. "You *will* obey my orders as if spoken by Ranma himself. Do you understand?"
 
"No, I don't!" Akane said forcefully pulling her shoulders away from the girl's grip. It did not budge. Akane looked at Ranko in awe. The girl has hands of steel. Either Kodachi was more out of shape than she thought, or Ranko really was one powerful girl.
 
Before anything more physical could be threatened to her the hot water arrived and Ranko took it out of the samurai's hands. She let Akane go with a glare handling the kettle deftly. "I've got to go, Kodachi--"
 
"It's AKANE!"
 
"Fine, Akane," she said with little patience over the entire matter. Akane noted that her hands were itching to use the kettle and she was eager to leave. "I've got to go, don't make any trouble for the guards."
 
With that, she too disappeared over the donjon's maze. Akane knitted her brows then looked at the shoji at the opposite side of Ranko's exit. She opened it gingerly, finding out that no one was watching that side. In Ranko's haste, she forgot the rooms has two entrances. Quickly she moved towards the other shoji. She walked around the maze, finding herself in the ballroom after a short while. People were dancing.
 
She found Ranma cordially dancing with his mother. She smiled, remembering a bit of what Sasuke told her about the norms. 'Then this is the first dance,' the dance ended slowly, his eyes riveted towards her. She wondered lightly how he found out that she was there.
 
After holding her gaze for a second Ranma smiled cockily then moved to a girl with brown hair, they bowed and he twirled her around. The next girl was this purple haired Chinese girl, whose dress seemed to stop circulation... he didn't stop to dance with her after those and not even after ten tries.
 
At this snub, people who previously ignored her, turned their backs at her. Even she knew that his snub was meaningful, that it was a signal for the other people to treat her badly. She turned around to blink the tears threatening to overwhelm her. She couldn't bear it if these people would see her cry.
 
She lost herself in the maze that the donjon. Finally, she found a balcony far from the noise of the party.
 
 
~~~
 
 
The fact that Happosai was trying to find Ranma for more than a stick burned his patience a few notches short of a good mood. Especially when he noted that his sister Nabiki donned the Jusenkyo curse, a similar attire to that of Ranma's and was dancing with his former fiancées. Not especially good when Kodachi was seething in the back rows of the room looking at every fiancée with scorn. He tolerated Kodachi because she was useful to an extent, he certainly didn't want her provoked enough to have a massacre on their hands.
 
"Where is Ranma, Nabiki?" Happosai asked as Nabiki-kun swung one of Ranma's former fiancées within hearing distance. Nabiki fooled most of those in attendance with the age-old rituals of twins exchanging places. It was a more than adequate tool when Jusenkyo was employed. Nabiki smirked that long-suffering smirk that was identical to the siblings.
 
"Lord Happosai, I know my sister and I are twins but the gender difference is distinct enough. I have promised all my former fiancées a dance." Nabiki-kun flicked his pigtail as he moved the girl expertly to his right hand and smiled at Happosai's diminutive figure.
 
"You should not treat me this way. I am your liege lord," Happosai commanded in his most authoritative voice. It was something that would have put Ranma in a sheepish mood, but failed to intimidate his sister.
 
Nabiki smirked not really caring that it was a direct insult to Happosai. "Where are my manners? Lord Happosai, meet Daikoku Kaoru (5). Kaoru, my lord Happosai."
 
The woman bowed abjectly as would any woman in presence of a kokushiu, a Lord of the Province. Happosai acknowledged her with a dismissive nod then turned to Nabiki. "Well?"
 
"Excuse me, Kaoru. My liege lord demands my time." Nabiki-kun bowed to her and followed Happosai. When they were out of earshot Nabiki smiled. "I'm only following orders from Ranma, my lord. He doesn't want the other fiancées bothering him."
 
"Was the snub for his wife his doing as well?" Happosai asked irritated.
 
"Partly," Nabiki acknowledged. "I have never danced with Kodachi, she repulses me. Ranma-san said all his former fiancées. Kodachi was never his fiancée. He just married her."
 
That just seemed to irritate the old man ever more. "Well, where is the boy?"
 
"I don't really know, my lord. He didn't tell me," Nabiki lied easily as she flashed one of her smiles again, one of those that didn't quite reach her eyes. At the curt answer, Happosai dismissed Nabiki searching for Ranma himself.
 
 
~~~
 
 
The earlier exchange between Cologne and Ukyo worried the old woman, especially after seeing the likeness of Ranma's child. She looked around the halls perplexed, that child looked so much like one of the Amazon's lost ones...
 
The Lost Ones(6) were the banished members of the Amazon tribe. Women and men, who for some reason or the other, forsook the clan. The girl resembled one of her heirs, Xian Pu's cousin in fact. One that equaled, and quite possibly surpassed, Xian Pu's fighting prowess. She was an extremely bright student. Rian Pu(7)also has one thing in common with her cousin: she had met a certain Ranma Saotome.
 
Rian was infrequently within the tribe and was banished eight years ago. She was banished because she returned pregnant, with a Japanese husband who held loyalties different from that of the tribe's. This would have been acceptable had she not been defeated by Ranma in combat. But the father of the child she was carrying was not Ranma Saotome. The situation was made worse by the fact that her chosen husband could not win against her in a fight.
 
She, along with her husband, faced a Jusenkyo trial. Both did not fare well and both were exiled. Hanae looked hauntingly like the girl Cologne started out to train. Hanae looked like Rian.
 
Ranma and Nabiki Saotome were two of the students Japan sent to learn from the Chinese Empire. Rian was the lucky Amazon who was chosen to apprentice along with them in the Emperor's palace.
 
By the time she circled the east wing, she realized that she managed to lose track of her quarry. She forgot Ranma's ability to seemingly melt into the shadows. Even though it was commonly known that samurai despised the use of ninja, the Saotome Clan was one of the few who learned from the art and reformed it to blend with their own style of martial arts -- Anything Goes. Indiscriminate Grappling.
 
Still, Happosai's clan could not compete to three thousand years of Amazon history. She found the boy on the rooftop, after a second, she saw Kodachi by the balcony of the donjon. Cologne shook her head at the scene. An old painting of a man wanting a woman and a woman yearning for the man she couldn't see.
 
She was beautiful, Cologne acknowledged that fact. Kodachi has the ability to charm almost anyone. Although Japanese women ranked their porcelain skin high in their priorities, Kodachi just broke the cardinal rule of Japanese beauty. She obtained a tan. Before she had the palest of skin, now, the golden tan shone through the low dim lights of the lanterns.
 
She has the most immaculate eyes, and the gracefulness of movements. Kodachi even managed to use the lotus gait (8), a fool headed swaying of movement acquired by Chinese women by binding their feet since childhood. Kodachi mastered it without breaking her precious feet.
 
But she lacked all signs of beauty that she held closely to her heart tonight and she walked in a brisk manner, more like one of her trainee amazons than the infamous lotus gait. 'Has Kodachi started to train again?' She pondered briefly.
 
Saotomes seem to lead tragic life styles, all of them. She thought Ranma, at least, learned to hate his wife. But tonight, seeing him gaze down at her ... it seems as if his barriers were slowly being pulled down. Even now, she could see the yearning in his face. The stubborn Japanese may deny the need for love, but Ranma was in love with his wife, even though it was obvious she did not share the same sentiments for him.
 
"<Are the stars beautiful out here?>" Cologne finally asked the boy in Chinese. Odd, he was in his late twenties and the matriarch still thought of him as one. But then, a lot of people would seem too young if you've lived even half her life.
 
"<Matriarch Kuh Lon,>" he responded in equally fluent, if not completely formal, Chinese. He tried not to show that he was startled by her appearance. "<I wasn't looking at the stars.>"
 
Walking towards the boy, something she did not usually do for she preferred the pogoing of her staff, she stop to stand next to him then placing her staff down at the cold tile of the roof. She joined him for a moment looking at Kodachi, noticing something present in her that she did not see before. "<She looks sad, boy. Your wife looks extremely lonely.>"
 
"<Wives are not to be pleasured, (9)>" Ranma smirked, a little of his boyishness showing through. "<Here, wives tend to their husbands and do all the necessary things as men see it fit.>"
 
She shook her head at the obvious stupidity of the Japanese. "<Not to people who are in love.>"
 
"<Love is a triviality Matriarch, it does not help you win a war or serve your liege lord. What is love anyway? It is a foreign word, a foreign thought. There is no such thing as love... only duty, honor, respect, loyalty... these are all we need... all we have. Love is a weakness. Love is for the fools.>"
 
"<Then to a fool from a fellow fool, Kodachi isn't worth your time. Happosai's a stupid old man who doesn't know better.>" Cologne didn't know if Kodachi was truly Happosai's doing, but she surmised that much. From Ranma's reaction, it looked like her assumptions were correct.
 
Ranma turned to face Cologne, wanting to change the topic immediately, "<Why are you looking for me, Matriarch Cologne? I doubt it's to talk about Kodachi.>"
 
"<My ever so wise son-in-law. Nabiki's keenness is rubbing off on you.>" She laughed. She has not called him that in ages. Not since his farce of a marriage anyway. "<Well then, I have to know. Is Hanae Rian's daughter?>"
 
"<It's been a while since I've seen Rian, granny.>" His face was distorted to a mask that Nabiki had broken down to a skill. Cologne had not realized that Ranma had also learned it. He had been more naive when they parted. "<Why do you ask?>"
 
"<Because I am her direct superior, because she was my heir,>" Cologne said in a manner that allowed no further discussion.
 
Ranma looked at her guardedly though he knew that his next words might give away what he knew of her. "<You dissolved that right when you banished her.>"
 
"<I am still her great-great grandmother.>" There was sadness in Cologne's eyes.
 
One which resonated into Ranma's. "Not anymore."
 
"<I care for the child, Ranma. She may have been banished, but that was law. My being matriarch does not help me.>" She paused as she looked at the cane. It was the symbol of power among the Amazons. Sometimes she didn't know if she hated it or loved it. "<The laws bind us Elders more than anyone, for a ruler who doesn't follow the rules is no ruler at all.>"
 
There was a long pause, neither taking their eyes away from the other, finally Cologne let out a resigned sigh. "<Fine. At least tell me how the girl came into your possession. Tell me that much.>"
 
There was a slight frown upon Ranma's features then he sighed. "I will tell you, but only because I respect you and that Nabiki is an Honorary Amazon. You will promise that my daughter will not be taken away."
 
Cologne promised while settling on the cold roof tiles listening to what Ranma was saying carrying her back to the last time Ranma and Rian met, almost seven years ago. His life was ultimately changed seven years ago.
 
 
||-------------------------||
 
 
Ranma entered the paper house as polite as possible, leaving his geta outside the doors and bowing courteaously to Rian, this was not good. He wished that he was not the one to who was set to accomplish the task, but Happosai insisted -- demanded -- that he was the one to do it.
 
Rian smiled at him slowly, she was not the demure Japanese wife you expected in a house such as this one. The formal bows were not exchanged. "Tell me why has the great Ranma come to our abode?" her voice was light and teasing.
 
He winced again, explaining things were not his forte. His eyes traveled to her stomach, she was seven months pregnant. His thoughts traveled to his new wife. It was obvious from the beginning of the marriage that she would not be providing him an heir.
 
She noticed the two winces and turned to him, she tried not to show her concern. "How is your wife? I can't believe you'd leave her so soon after your marriage. Shouldn't you be busy doing things like... producing an heir?"
 
She stopped, possibly because she realized she was not in the Amazon village anymore, and because she realized that maybe some people were not as fortunate as her. "Is something the matter Ranma? You're acting odd."
 
He winced again, this time the worry broke through Rian's face. "It's not like you to -- Ranma?"
 
"Where is Hikome?" the demand was rasped out from his lips. Something he did not want to say, but needed to.
 
There was a pause then a visible tensing in Rian's body. A samurai walked to her quickly asking if she would like anything which was quickly negated. "He is out."
 
"Ranma?" A man got out from the central shoji -- Ranma recognized Ummei Hikome (10)immediately. Rian cursed and quickly lifted up two bonbori, her family's weapon of choice, from their resting place beside her. She used herself as a shield from her husband. "You cannot have him."
 
"Rian?" There was bewilderment then understanding as he raised his left hand to Rian's shoulder. His arm was but a stump, a deformity since the time of his birth. "I'm sorry, but I told you there would come a time when this would happen."
 
Ranma took out the scroll from his kimono, official documents for the order of Hikome and all of his clan's death (11). He was not happy to deliver such dire news to someone whom he knew since he was a child.
 
The man was born without a left arm, and though his family was a line of samurai, this defect stripped him of his rights. But since his parents has been trying to produce an heir for such a long time, they did not want to kill or send to the eta village the only child they were finally blessed with.
 
He was named Hikome because he was fled from their overlord's overseer. Hikome meant 'flight from the eye' and Ummei meant 'destiny'. Flight from the eye of destiny. His parents thought it was an appropriate name.
 
"The old bastard Happosai has finally found out our secret?" He was smiling as he tore open the scroll, there was no doubt about its contents and yet a smile still grazed his lips. He read slowly. "Will you act as my second, Ranma?"
 
"I would be honored." Ranma would have been more pleased if they could find a way for Hikome to escape. If somehow, they could shuttle him away from Happosai's eyes. Though there might be ways to do so, Happosai was angry enough because of the long standing deceit to hunt Hikome down to the ends earth if he needed to. "When?"
 
"I have escaped the eye long enough, ne?" He smiled then he looked at his wife then patted her belly. "Sayonara. I wish I would be reborn in pleasanter times."
 
The man ordered one of the samurai to bring him the white robes for the ritual suicide. When it was brought to him, he smiled and told them of what was happening, offering them either seppuku or becoming a ronin.
 
When he was alone with Rian and Ranma again he said, "I'd rather you not watch this, Rian."
 
Rian had other ideas. She pushed her husband aside and brought her bonbori to Ranma's nose, a clear sign of defiance. "<I challenge you, Saotome Ranma, vassal of the Lord Happosai, Heir of the Anything-Goes-Martial Arts, Lord of the province Nerima, Overseer to the Seven Waters of Kanto and apprentice to the Matriarch Kuh Lon of the Joketsuzoku to a duel of honor.>" She issued the challenge in Chinese, so as not to alarm her husband or the other samurai of her intent. Although from her raised bonbori, it wasn't difficult to guess.
 
Even though he married an Amazon, Hikome certainly knew no Chinese and was bewildered at his wife's sudden act. "Go Hikome, I am going to talk to my friend." He stayed there, a helpless look in his face while his wife stood between him and certain death. "GO!"
 
"No, Rian, it is you who should go." Hikome held his ground but she didn't heed him. "Ranma is here because of me."
 
Ranma stood up slowly, wondering what he could say to calm Rian down "Rian, you're pregnant."
 
"<Have you acquired the knack for stating the obvious in China or from Happosai?>" Her stance did not waver, and yet as sure as the sun set, she knew she was going to die. She could not beat Ranma when she was in top form, much less with a baby on the way. "<What is it to you, Saotome? You have orders to kill his descendants. My child will not live this ordeal as well, and with the only important things in my life gone. What reason is there left to live? Surely none.>"
 
Ranma swore as he moved aside, Rian would rather kill herself than let him reach Hikome. He drew his sword out of the scabbard, the blade glistening in the afternoon light.
 
There was no clashing of swords, Ranma sliced the bonbori into two and shoved Rian aside to get to Hikome. Hikome offered no resistance. In a flash, it was all over, Rian knocked to one side and Hikome decapitated in another. He would have liked seppuku better, but Rian gave him no choice. He did not want to kill one of his oldest friends. Rian blinked clutching her belly and shouted her pain. "<Ranma, damn you! Come here.>"
 
He carefully wiped the blood off his sword, not wanting to flick it clean as he would have done on any other occasion. It was stained with his friend's blood and he would honor Hikome that much, even if he wasn't able to commit seppuku. He sheathed it while moving towards Rian.
 
She clutched the edges of his hakama tightly in her hands. "<I think I'm having my baby. My water just broke, and I'm bleeding.>" There were several moments of gasping and wheezing. There was certainly a lot of blood. "<Help me guide him into the world.>"
 
"Rian I just killed your husband --" Ranma said slowly, took a long breath not wanting to continue what he planned to say.
 
Rian lifted her fingers to the lips of her friend, pained expression in her face. "<Duty is a heavy burden Ranma. You did what you had to do and I did what I thought I ought to do. We both saved our honor.>"
 
He shifted back to Chinese. They were talking treason. "<Rian! I'm not qualified to deliver your baby! I'm not a damned doctor and even if I were one I'm honor-bound to kill him.>"
 
"<Do you see anyone here more qualified than you?>" a valid question, especially since Ranma and Rian were the only people left in the Ummei's isolated house. There was an agonizing groan from her lips. "<He's not Ummei any longer... he's Saotome.>"
 
Becuase he didn't want to kill a baby and because he owed his friend that much, he set her down and tried to help her deliver a baby two months too early. Everything happened too fast for Ranma remember distinctly. Thankfully, other than the child coming too early, something which Rian told him was a usual occurrence in the women of her side of the family, there seemed to be no complications.
 
It was the baby and not the blood that made Ranma panic. He'd seen enough blood in his entire lifetime to be scared of it. But trying to support the baby's head while coming out was something he was not accustomed to and was not planning to experience again. Another testament to men staying out of the birthing chambers when their wives deliver.
 
Ripping a shirt sleeve, he wiped the baby's face, strangely silent in the middle of the already too silent scene. The worry crept up to his heart at the silent child. He cut the long umbilical chord with the only sharp object he had at the moment, his sword. Lifting the baby up from the feet he hit the behind lightly, reminiscent of something he watched in the Amazon Village when he stayed there.
 
It was rewarded with a long attenuated cry. He released the breath he did not know he was holding, still not knowing if everything was going to be okay. Silently, he wished his sister was with him, for she would certainly have known what to do, what to say. He settled for bringing the girl closer to Rian and whispering, "<It's a girl Rian, you were wrong.>"
 
Rian smiled weakly, cradling the too small baby in her arms. "<And Hikome was so sure it was a boy.>" She was silent for a moment before she continued, "<Ranma, you've always known that childbirth is a risky business, yes? I don't think I have the strength to live on. Take care of her and rear her as your own. Forty days after my death, I hope I be reborn as your vassal to look after my child... (12)>"
 
Ranma's head snapped towards Rian, panic lighting his eyes. "Goddammit Rian, there would be no talk of death. Certainly not for you." Rian has always been so alive, and strong. Surely birth would not kill her. Surely one of the Amazon's pride and joy could not die this early.
 
Although Rian's hovering death was not obvious to Ranma, she already felt the weakening of her body brought about by the fight and subsequent delivery of the baby. But she held on to dear life for a few more minutes, just to say goodbye. Her baby was in perilous health as well. She was an Amazon. She will manage to survive a few more minutes. She ignored Ranma's defiant statement of her health and continued, "<I don't want to give her Amazon name or a Chinese one, Ranma. It is my honor if you name her.>"
 
"<She reminds me of the frail blossoms in the Imperial palace, the ones we observed in spring, fleeting memories we have,>" Ranma whispered softly. It was also after Hikome's name, he thought he would honor his friend. 'The bud has grown Hikome, you've made a fine flower.'
 
"<Hana(13)... isn't it a custom to add the horse to your names?>" she asked still intent on the little girl in her hands. "<Even your central ward... Nerima... training horses, has the kanji 'ma' in the end.>"
 
"<Happosai named Nerima.>" Ranma smiled at her ruefully, remembering just how much Nerima held them all. She would be the only one who could remember something like that at such a difficult moment. "<It was a constant reminder that we are supposed to practice our skills for him.>"
 
"<Even Nabiki was given a second name so the 'ma' could be incorporated even if it is unusual for the Japanese to recieve a second name. Shizukama, serene horse, wasn't it?>" Rian looked up to him to find out if he would confirm it.
 
"<Yes, but she is still your child, and I want her to be special, especially since she would have died if she showed any trace of who her father is. She will *not* be under Happosai.>"
 
"<Then... her name shall be Hanae. Saotome Hanae. Take care of her Ranma. I want my daughter to grow up with you. You are the closest thing to family now. You and Nabiki. Tell them that you were alone with me in China... we were engaged after all... and we were the same age... and you did beat me in combat-->" She handed the girl to him and as he leaned closer she kissed (14)him fully on the lips. "<That was for old times sake... and my farewell to you. Promise me you'll tell her about her father and I.>"
 
He swore his oath. Rian died a few moments later a smile on her lips, she never told him her death poem(15), although Ranma heard the distinct whisper of blossoms.
 
 
||-------------------------||
 
 
Cologne nodded, she suspected some of it, even if Rian never wrote about what happened to her. As for Happosai, she expected no less. The disfigured were also put to death or banished in the Amazon Tribe. Theirs were a pure blood of warriors. "<Did you love Rian, Ranma?>"
 
"<As I would Nabiki. She was a friend, and friends are rare in what we do,>" he whispered. She laughed. "What is so funny old hag?"
 
His disrespect was probably brought on by the laugh, she was not offended. "<You have all kinds women falling in love with you deshi (16), and you fall in love with someone who does not even comprehend its power. Rian was a good child, skilled and smart. If you beat her betrothed after you defeated her, you could have been her legal husband. She would have not been as so heart broken to leave China without permission and get herself in love with your friend Hikome.>"
 
"<Is it my fault that she has gotten banished then?>" he steeled at the words. He was sick and tired of people blaming him for things he did not do. He has taken the blame for far too long and he could not take it if his friend's death was his fault as well.
 
"<No... no...>" The Amazon Matriarch didn't know how to explain her thoughts on such a sensitive topic, so she paused and began anew, "<It was her weakness to have shared a bed with someone she wasn't married to while she was affianced by Amazon Law to another. Xian Pu has a prior claim to you and you didn't challenge her initial fiancé, but it doesn't change the fact that she was engaged to you too. It's an ironic world we live in.>"
 
Ranma weighed the words and then thought back to Hanae's status under his care. "<What will you tell the Council of Elders in the village?>"
 
Cologne was dismissive of the situation, though it was obvious that she liked the idea of Rian leaving a legacy like Hanae. "<I don't see any reason why the Elders should be made aware of a Lost One's whereabouts.>"
 
Ranma was relieved. The Elders were a nasty bunch of women that he really did NOT want to deal with. He was lucky enough that the last time he'd been called to face them was when he left China. "<Then what do you think?>"
 
"<That Rian died honorably protecting her husband -- she died fighting, that she has a child... the child's father is Ranma Saotome. Ranma Saotome, who was one of her legal fiancés at that time.>"
 
He was thankful. The old crone was very generous. However, her generosity had its limits. She could easily hand him over to Happosai now. He directly disobeyed Happosai's order and she knew it. "<You're different from the young boy that I said goodbye to.>"
 
"<The world changes Matriarch, and surely I must change with it.>"
 
She looked at his eyes and noted sadness within that she never encountered in him before, and she was a very perceptive woman. The siblings has one thing going against them when hiding the truth: they have very expressive eyes. Though they do try their best to hide it beyond their walls, one as old as her would know this much.
 
As fraternal twins, Ranma and Nabiki looked nothing a like in their uncursed forms, but their eyes linked them together. Her sad brown eyes and his dark blue ones were similar in many ways. Not in color, yes, but there were things that went beyond physical appearance. The twin's eye colors change, not from blue to brown, but the deepness, the intensity. The twins have very intense eyes.
 
They were truly alike in that aspect, so changed from the carefree youths that studied under her. She mentally shook herself, it would not do to delve into the twin's eyes, they were useless now, and they told her nothing of what she wanted to see. "<You have matured...>"
 
Ranma looked startled. No one ever described Ranma as mature before. "How so?"
 
"<A wise man once said that a rate a person can mature is directly proportional to the embarrassment he can tolerate.>"
 
Ranma let out a bitter laugh. "<What embarrassment? I have nothing more to be embarrassed about. I have nothing left. Everything I have in this world is already Happosai's. I have even surrendered my honor to him. He holds me in the palm of his hand, just as he holds every goddamn thing in the Kanto region!>"
 
"<Do I hear a touch of resentment, deshi?>" Cologne let out a laugh that rankled Ranma's nerves. It wasn't like Kodachi's. Of course not. Nothing could be like Kodachi's demented laugh. It was just that, he hated the feeling of being laughed at.
 
"<No. I just wish that I wasn't under him. I want to be by myself, under no man's orders.>" There was a significant pause before he continued, "<I stopped wanting that a long time ago.>"
 
"<Yes, I wish you have an eternity to stay in China.>" She laughed at the look on his face. "<You and Nabiki were rare students. I wasn't willing to let you go. You know, deshi, you're always welcome at the village. You and your sister both, we do not turn away our own. Even the Lost Ones are admitted to the village for dire reasons. I'm sure the Elders would bend the rules for their favorite exchange students.>"
 
"Thank you." He turned to look at the stars to contemplate the matter but ended up refusing anyway, "<But I must refuse your kind offer. Honor demands that I stay here and follow Lord Happosai until he dismisses me. Duty demands I protect my land. Honor and Duty are such a heavy burden.>"
 
Cologne nodded, it was this that made her admire the twins even in their youth. Honor and duty were not the most lenient of companions in a warrior's heart. They called at the most inopportune time in the inconvenient of all moments. And in a moment's mistake, they could leave you with the scars that would almost never heal.
 
She did not know what possessed her to say it, but she rose to tell Ranma the goodbye she and her great-great-granddaughter failed to do seven years past. "<May your hands block the sword that greets you,>"
 
He recognized the Amazonian blessing, eyes widening with realization. It was such a long time since someone gave him the honor of it. Not since they left the Amazon Village. It was rare that someone would be sent away with such blessings for it signified that they might never see each other again after their parting, a complete goodbye that would tide you over until they meet again in their next lives.
 
"<May your wits always guide your back,>" Cologne continued, her staff was now firmly in her hands. She would need it for the last part. "<May your wounds leave untouched your soul,
 
"<And your weapons meet your intended foe.>" She turned the staff around, so that the symbol of authority would touch Ranma's hand. "<Until we meet again, May your gods hold you in the palm of their hands.> (17)"
 
Ranma grasped her staff and bowed, offering the staff back again, with it raised above his head, Cologne nodded in approval, her pupil did not forget his lessons.
 
"It is my honor that Matriarch Kuh Lon leaves me with her blessing," he intoned deeply, trying to remember what response would befit an Amazon elder. "<But it will be my hands which I use to block. I am a warrior, I do not rely on any weapon to deal my fight.>"
 
Cologne took the staff. "<My intellect shall always guard me, but my skill I must always sharpen.>"
 
She motioned for the boy to rise. "<I shall learn from each wound, each scar a history, not of failure but a lesson.>" There was a small pause, Cologne wondered if she should help him remember the next part, but he continued on after a moment, "<I shall begrudge no one, for I am their equal, I shall degrade no one for I am the comrade...
 
"<My enemies I respect for to lose it, my life I may forfeit. The Kiss I reserve to those who reserve the right to it. Until we meet again, my promise, I will not forget. I am Joketsuzoku. I am a Saotome. I am Ranma.>"
 
The last was the barest of the whispers with his fist on his chest. Cologne's face broke out to a smile. "<Ahh... I'm not one for formalities child. You did well.>"
 
"<Well, I've memorized almost *every* ritual I have to go through here.>" Ranma smiled a bit. "<Happosai is one tough old lecher. He wouldn't make me heir unless I memorized the oath to him, bushido and the vow of the Saotomes.>"
 
"<Rituals hold power, boy, and as such, they are important. There are reasons behind rituals, even if there seems to be no logic in it.>" Cologne turned to leave. Maybe the reason she went out to do that was to remind him he was still an Honorary Amazon. Maybe it was because it was to show him that she held no grudge against him. Maybe it was because she wished him well. Too many maybes, she truly didn't know. But somehow, the formality made her feel good. She may have lost her son-in-law, but she found her pupil.
 
"<I suggest you turn back to your wife now. I believe she is in one... difficult situation,>" she commented before she left, he was too much engrossed in the stars to see what she saw.
 
 
-
 
 
Ranma had tasked himself to follow his wife earlier, since no one capable of keeping her at bay was free at the moment. He watched her from a safe distance, purposely leaving that door unattended as to see if she would disobey him -- and she did. That woman would never learn.
 
Yet his heart still went out to her when Nabiki snubbed her -- an act he told Nabiki to do. And he knew it was wrong just as he fled after her retreating figure. He watched her move around the maze anger towards an action that really wasn't her fault.
 
He was acting like a jealous man and he didn't like it. Jealousy meant you cared and Kodachi was the last person he was willing to care for. Not again.
 
Ranma turned his eyes to his wife, his attention returning after Cologne's suggestion. He didn't like what he saw. Obviously, her show back in the halls didn't satisfy her enough... she just had to invite Gosunkugi to a little balcony talk. He shook his head in disgust 'Ranma, you're as gullible as the day you met her.' If he stayed a moment later he would have seen her push him off and scream.
 
-
 
Akane looked out the balcony. With its white wooden bars, it effectively sealed off anything from getting in, and anyone from going out. Japanese palaces were always made for protection, but she sometimes wished it has the soft balconies of the European ones. Just like the ones she stood on when she in the play Romeo and Juliet countless of times when she was younger.
 
She gripped the bars of window, wishing that she was the type of woman who cried often, but she wasn't, and she resented the fact that since she got here, all she seemed to be doing was crying.
 
She was frustrated at whatever force damned her to be sent to a past she hardly knew. She folded her hands over the rail and leaned over, the night was quiet, and you could hear the distinct thump of the bamboo against the stone, a fountain in one of the gardens. It was peaceful. Out here, you couldn't hear the bustle of the people.
 
She could think, she could think about things going on in this life and her last. Yet she could not mourn, whoever sent her here had taken mourning away from her, damn them.
 
Consciously she heard the distinct rasp of the shoji moving, she turned around but saw no one. She shrugged it off for nothing when someone grabbed her and forced her to the railing. "What is it with you Kodachi? First you encourage me and then you knee me?"
 
Akane twisted around pain shooting through her arms. Kodachi's body was not as strong as her usual one. "I'm sorry, but you were pestering me and --" She whimpered at the pain. "You're hurting me."
 
"Good, then maybe you realize that you still love me."
 
She was simply acquiescing because he was mad, and she remembered Nabiki's orders to get him out of the grounds. "How did you get in?"
 
"Those samurai were stupid. They left me in the last gate. Of course I can still break in." Hikaru laughed, the sadistic madman gripped her arms tighter, and she could feel a bruise forming.
 
She pushed him away and let out a scream, but he was back on her again covering her mouth with a hand that effectively silenced her. "You little witch! You've brought the whole house down on us."
 
He moved to kiss (18) her with a brutality that would form another bruise. 'He must be mad! In a keep full of samurai... mad!' Akane stared at him and for the first time in her life, Akane felt true fear.
 
-
 
Ranma turned his back to Kodachi and rushed out to find some cold water before he fetched Nabiki, it would be most peculiar if he approached his exact look a like when all his fiancées were there. Few knew about the curse.
 
It was then that he heard Kodachi scream, he closed his eyes in concentration to positively identify the sound. It was a frightened sort that was quickly muffled with what he guessed was Gosunkugi's hand. He was plagued with a moment of indecision before he let duty overtake common sense and ran towards where Kodachi was.
 
When he finally saw Gosunkugi pinning his wife down, Ranma didn't know what to think. He pulled Gosunkugi off his wife. "I don't care if it's her fault Gosunkugi, but this time, you die."
 
Kodachi seemed disoriented from the fact that the sudden weight was ripped off her, and seemed to sigh in thankfulness that her kimono was still intact. Ranma threw Gosunkugi down the balcony, effectively breaking at least five bars with the man, and then jumped after him.
 
Kodachi seeing this display, reached out her hand in a futile act to catch either one. She missed Ranma's pigtail by inches. She cursed and in the disheveled state she was in, ran to find her way to both of them, wishing that they would not slaughter each other just yet. If the fall three floors down didn't already kill them.
 
 
-
 
 
Ranma landed gracefully facing Gosunkugi's weak form, crumpled towards the ground. He gave Gosunkugi a critical look, then without his eyes leaving the man, he stated, "I need another sword."
 
One of the samurai who was present at the grounds threw him one without a scabbard. Gosunkugi wouldn't need the hilt. He wasn't practicing any form of sword arts, least of all battoujutsu(19), the only other art that would require the use of the sheath. The samurai probably didn't want the saya(20) handled by an untrained idiot such as Gosunkugi. Besides, most of the samurai in the Saotome clan didn't use conventional methods in fastening their two swords down. Sometimes they even left the short sword out of their attire. It made to hamper some of the moves in Anything Goes.
 
Ranma caught the sword with one hand and threw it down to Gosunkugi's prone form. Ranma relaxed his stance, a clear signal to anyone practicing Anything Goes that he was about to fight, while waiting for Gosunkugi get up. Gosunkugi's bruised body could probably take a little more beating.
 
Drawing his own sword Ranma, gave him a feral smile. "I am Saotome Ranma, Lord of the Sagami, vassal to the Lord Happosai, heir to the Anything-Goes-School of Martial Arts." He did not mention the entire string of titles. Unlike Kuno, Ranma didn't like the formality of fighting too much. This was it then, he decided this and he would end this slowly, he promised Gosunkugi a world of pain.
 
The formalized ritual of death would end with one of them dead, and it was glaringly obvious who would die that night. "I am... Gosunkugi Hikaru, a mere peasant who sells his craft." Gosunkugi's name and title was full acceptance of the challenge Ranma just threw down.
 
'Good,' Ranma thought, 'the spineless coward is going to get his worth.' He didn't mind that he was a peasant. He didn't mind that Gosunkugi was a stupid idiot. He didn't mind that Kodachi probably caused this whole thing. This idiot was going to die tonight, not only for the reason that he disobeyed samurai by stepping on the grounds again, but because he touched his wife.
 
"It's a good night to die," Ranma commented as he stood there loosely regarding Gosunkugi. The guards that were circling them wouldn't dare interfere. Not after it became official. It was a duel to the death, which only Ranma or Gosunkugi could stop. And only through the acquisition of either one's head. When Ranma spoke those first words he started what he knew should end quickly.
 
Gosunkugi laughed, Ranma thought that the impatient man would be the first to attack. Gosunkugi was known for taking his advantages whenever he can and Ranma looked like he was just standing there inviting an attack. The first blow came, easily predictable, if a bit wild in its use. The clash of Ranma's sword against Gosunkugi's own was a surprise to Gosunkugi, but well heard. The vibration of Gosunkugi's sword rattled through his arm.
 
Ranma didn't attack yet. Parrying most of the wild swings Gosunkugi threw at him. Gosunkugi used the sword as a stick, sometimes, even as an axe, continually whacking where he could, when he could. The sound of metal against metal ringed through the silence. "That's good, for a five year old. It's still not good enough to live."
 
"It's not like I've trained or anything!" they were foolish words, useless and a waste of breath. There came a series of blows and attacks by the hand and by the sword. There was something eerily familiar about this fight, as Ranma dodged all of Gosunkugi's blows managing to bruise and cut his opponent in the process.
 
'Time to end this game...' He thought as he brought on one of the first techniques he managed to learn in China, "KAACHU TENSHIN AMAGURIKEN!"
 
-
 
Akane took off across the maze of shoji to look for Ranma and Gosunkugi when she heard Ranma's battle cry. She put some more speed in her already fast pace, finding them not far from the balcony they fell from. Locating them was not difficult. She just followed the screaming cheers, the clang of metal against metal and the general flow of the people.
 
When she got there, she spied Ranma's mother with a shriveled up old man and Nabiki.
 
She noted the situation of the fighters when she finally managed to push through the crowd and gasped, assessing Gosunkugi would definitely not last any longer. She did notice that Ranma did not see her, that or he just didn't acknowledge her. His mind was set on the fight. He was unquestionably going for the kill.
 
"Please stop it! Honestly, there's really no point in this. I know your reasons are noble but that's enough. PLEASE!" she shouted over the cheers, and winced at Gosunkugi's face. It was going to be a mass of blue in a few minutes. She turned to Nabiki who insightfully changed into a girl when she headed out, to ask for help, "Please, you're his sister, help me stop them."
 
"Why should I?" Nabiki answered not taking her eyes off the fight, smiling at the simultaneous block of the sword then jab to the side Ranma just executed. She did question why Ranma waited to relieve Gosunkugi of his sword. "My brother is obviously winning."
 
"But he's killing Gosunkugi!"
 
"It's his right to kill him." Nabiki turned towards her, regarding Kodachi with her cold brown eyes, so much like her brothers steel blue ones. "Besides you should be honored."
 
"I don't think I should be honored over useless spill of blood. Why the hell should I be honored?" She just had to wonder at the entire attitude over killing. It was as if it was an everyday occurrence. She shuddered, it probably was.
 
"Because they're fighting over you..." Nabiki smiled. "And Ranma rarely fights for anyone else other than his liege lord and his clan. And you are neither."
 
"I'm his wife."
 
Nabiki looked at her with her steel brown eyes and stared her down. "Kodachi, surely you must know that there is a difference between a mere title and the truth. In his heart, you were never his wife."
 
Ranma continued to ignore Akane, just as he usually did. Those multiple punches should have Gosunkugi down by now, writhing in pain. The Amaguriken technique was a lethal one used in the right pressure points against a weak opponent. He was surprised he wasn't dead. "Is that the best you can do? You haven't even touched me."
 
Akane couldn't bear it anymore, forcing her way past the samurai encircling Ranma and threw herself between the two. "STOP IT! Stop it already. Please stop."
 
She yelled, her heart beating faster. It was the most illogical thing to do, because her husband wouldn't really stop for her. They weren't exactly in the best terms. But if she realized one thing it was that her husband could not and would not kill her...
 
He could just severely mutilate her.
 
-
 
Ranma didn't know what made him use the Amaguriken. His skill alone, even without special techniques would have been enough to kill Gosunkugi. He wasn't even using chi attacks, that alone was a show of mercy. He knew Hikaru was beaten, his face and body was nothing but a mass of bruises.
 
He pulled the short sword from its sheath, the sword designed to take the head of the losers he came up with, those who were to die. He was about to shove Kodachi aside to take Gosunkugi's head when she pulled upon the back of his kimono.
 
"No, Ranma, don't kill him. It's all right, I'm fine," Kodachi pleaded with him. "He is nothing, and he'll always be that now, barakumin (21)!"
 
Ranma briefly wondered over the unfamiliar word 'village dweller'? but it didn't hinder him from approaching Gosunkugi's beaten form. "You are interrupting a duel of honor. It is my right to kill him. He knows the consequences of failure. I will have his head."
 
"I will kill myself," Kodachi threatened. The distinct rasp of metal unsheathing made Ranma turn to his wife, whom he already walked past. His lovely disheveled wife who was pointing a knife towards her heart.
 
He resolved that once he was home he was to order Nabiki to confiscate all her arms. His mind moved quickly. He was not near enough to strike the dagger away, but Nabiki was, probably Sasuke. Ranma deliberated how serious the bluff was.
 
"Go, Hikaru!" Kodachi shouted, dagger shaking visibly in her hands, and in that moment, Nabiki-kun finally chose to intervene bringing her katana over and striking Kodachi's dagger with it. Sasuke moved in to catch the wildly flying projectile.
 
Ranma turned to run after Gosunkugi. But was stilled by the order, "Ranma stay."
 
Ranma turned slowly to Happosai, the man who uttered the order. "He is getting away, sir. He has insulted me. I ask permission to hunt him down. It is my duty to see him dead. He accepted a formal challenge."
 
"I said no!" Happosai turned to Nabiki. "Make sure he obeys the order. There are too many cats that prowl the night here in the Kanto region. I will not waste my men searching for you, not needlessly risk them fighting you when you encounter a cat. You are uncontrollable in that state of mind."
 
Ranma bowed, which Happosai acknowledged it with a nod. Looking towards Kodachi, Ranma thought, 'Why did she protect Gosunkugi? Don't tell me she really does love that bastard.'
 
Nabiki nodded to him, and he noticed that she already changed back and was very damp, already substituting her richly garbed kimono for the hakama she worn in place of Ranma. He wondered briefly if Kodachi noticed the change. If she did, she did not comment.
 
Happosai turned to the guests crowding the hallway. "Kodachi is a bit ill from all the commotion and will be resting in her room. The Lady Nodoka and I still welcome you here for the remainder of the night. But I believe that Ranma, Kodachi and Nabiki need their rest."
 
All of them nodded, this was Happosai, and he spoke. The night of events would go on. But for them, it was formally over, after all Kodachi, Ranma and Nabiki were three of the most influential samurai under Happosai's wing present in this gathering. What gossip it would bring.
 

Endnotes:
(1) Did social gathering then have dances? Well, frankly I don't know... maybe folk dances but I really doubt it could have the waltz and stuff... but since I'm a fanfic author and I want dancing I'm putting it in... call it creative license or something or the other... hmmmm...
(2) Shimoda style. Okay, I don't know how this looks like, enlighten me. I just found it in this Japanese handbook. I do know it is a hairstyle favored in the olden times.
(3) Yofuku: foreign clothing, tailor. (And she's the seamstress... is there a pattern here?)
(4) Geta: traditional wooden thongs
(5) Kaoru Daikoku: 'Sweet Smelling Flying Stand' or something to that effect.
In the manga, the Martial Arts Take Out Race's main adversary was Shampoo. However, in the anime it was Kaoru.. Did I get the name wrong?
kaoru: sweet smell nice
dai: subject, theme, topic
stand rest rack
koku: aviation, flight
(6) Lost ones? I am not referring to Ryoga, any part of the Hibiki clan or anything related to him, remotely or otherwise. And no, they do not get lost frequently or anything of the sort. And no they are not in any of the Ranma
thingiemajigs, I invented them. Happy :)?
(7) Rian: Hmmm I have no idea if this is a Chinese name... I used Tan before but to the suggestion of my sister and some persuasion I used Pu. It sounds better anyway.
(8) Lotus Gait? For a long time in China, self-mutilation was a common enough thing in women. Little feet were among the most sought after beauties. Men actually found this erotic. When they bind their feet after a period of about two years the bones hampered by the little shoes they wore broke forming all twisted feet. This produced a very sensuous walk for the females. Of course it was also very painful. Foolish men don't actually know what those feet look like, they just like the way they walked. This is such a bad idea. Kids don't try it at home.
(Source: Ripley's Believe it Or Not!)
(9) What did Ranma mean by 'wives are not to be pleasured'? Well in Japan (feaudal Japan anyway) wives duty were to serve their husbands and their liege lord. That is their only happiness. Lemons as a means of having fun were limited to the consorts. This is the reason why Kodachi has her little trips... hehehe...
(10) Ummei Hikome:
hiko: flight, escape
me: bud or sprout can also mean eye
ummei: destiny, fate, fortune
-- flight from the eye of destiny :)
(11) Why was Ranma ordered to kill Ummei? Well that's simple, in Japan the malformed are even lower than eta. In feudal Japan samurai were not allowed to be malformed. When they were, they were put to death, sometimes with a sign over their graves, 'This man was born samurai by mistake.'
(12) Reborn within forty days? Well in Buddhism they believe that a person's karma reflects on what he is in the next life. They also believe that they are going to be reborn within forty days. (Until
they reach Nirvana)
(13) Hana means blossoms or flowers the e was just added to soften the name and...make it unique :)
Also Ranma chose this name because the 'me' in Hikome also means bud, from which a flower blooms, thus honoring his friend.
(14) So why did Rian kiss Ranma...? Hmmm... remember the Kiss of Death and the Kiss of Marriage (?) I'm taking this as a sign that Chinese knew the art of kissing before the Japanese... and they don't really share the Japanese thinking about kissing PLUS she was dying should I label this the Kiss of Death then... nahhh...
(15) What is a death poem? This poem is reserved to the Buddhist people, and since the major religion of China is Buddhism, we're just making Rian a Buddhist. In a Buddhist's death, she/he is required to make a death poem (and they ponder on this before dying).
(16) Deshi: Japanese pupil.
(17) I derived this from an Irish Blessing. Ranma's answer though is my own doing (which is probably the reason why it ain't that good :)
Here's the original, lest I be sued or something:
May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
And rains fall softly against your field,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
Irish Blessing
(Source: Papelmerotti Gift wrapper)
(18) Why was Gosunkugi going to kiss Akane? Well... when they were on the balcony... it was the equivalent of raping her... kay?
(19) Battoujutsu: For those of you who watch Rurouni Kenshin, you'd know this one :) As for me... hmmm... well...
Battou Sheath, IIRC.
Battoujutsu appears to be
1) the ability to quickdraw one's sword from the sheath or
2) the ability to use the sheath as a weapon. Battousai
literally means "sword and sheath," which can be
interpreted as "being able to use both as a weapon"
(which is why he explained his name during the Kurogasa
arc.)
Copied exactly from the reply of Mr. Lawrence Chu, thanks :)
(20) Saya: sheath, cap
(21) What are barakumin? Well let's go back to eta (back in chapter 4 and foot note (26)). In the Meiji era the eta caste was abolished, they were re-termed as barakumin. Officially, etas don't exist, unofficially though the discrimination is still felt. Barakumin are less noticed to the youth of today... but more apparent when they're married ('cuz they check for signs of barakumin).

Special Thanks to:
MJ, Maurice Phillip, Tony Loco, Tin and Angel, Jourdan Bickham, Jose Aragao, Byooki Desu, Anno Nimus, C. Jones, Richard Robinson, David Bateson, David Stanley, Jitou, King Chan, Lawrence Chu, Bert Miller, The Dragonbard, Darthcwader1, Erin, Outlawone1, David Calvarese, Larry F
And to the person reading this.

Disclaimer: I do not own Ranma 1/2 and the book I based it from is When there is Hope, and if you sue me you can't possibly get money from me.

Author's notes:
Added in this revision was the description to Akane's kimono. It's better now, ne? I really realized I should have researched what a kimono looks like before I wrote this out.
Although it's noted here that Nabiki has a second name, and it's Shizukama, I was recently informed, that there is no such thing as a Japanese second name. (They don't have two names anyway, like Mark Jason Atkins) so we'll just take this Nabiki's second name as another name branded to her because she's a Saotome. It's a small matter, and I think it would still hold water. It's not that far off the mark and it's still a believable suspension of reality for those purists out there.
I'm sorry for this discrepancy, but it's too far along the story for me to change this small detail, and it doesn't affect reading of it too much anyway.
Rian's pregnancy was another source of argument between my sister and I, and we have now come in to an agreement regarding the 'birthing scene' as she has called it. If people have read this from the FF.N version, it's different in the fact that Rian was dying after her giving birth, as opposed to before the birth in which the original implied. A much more believable fate for an Amazon warrior.
Though my sister had a large objection to Rian's kiss before she dies (she says it's too morbid), I find that there's nothing bad with the entire thing. In fact, it's a very piognant moment, where a very strong woman, someone who we hardly know at all except from Ranma's telling of her, and Cologne's own insight towards the girl, dies. Leaving behind a child at the care of her former love.
Gaah, Actually, I never expected Gosunkugi to appear, but hey, everyone seems to be popping out of nowhere, so why not him? He seemed the perfect Kodachi crony... and we have a lack of Kodachi cronies out there. My sister swears Gosunkugi sounds too much like a drug addict to her, and I replied: well he does look like one, doesn't he:)
I don't know if Japanese actually celebrate their birthday after their first year or anytime in the middle (until they reach old age), usually, they just add their years at New Year's and leave it at that, but sometimes old people/important people get honored. So you can choose Happosai's reasons for Nodoka's celebration. It doesn't matter.
iCe

website: ice dot esmartdesign dot com
email: siuane at gmail dot com
livejournal: ice underscore of underscore dreams

We sometimes tend to forget that criticsm is better than praise, when we criticize we say that the other person has the ability to accept our words and take it as a challenge to become better because of this.
my teacher (hehehe)

I write when the spirit moves, and I make sure it moves every day.
unknown