Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Feathers in the Meadow ❯ I Promise ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I've undertaken writing for the Live Journal community 30 kisses, and for this I have adopted the pairing of Squall and Rinoa. While the themes don't have to be done in order, all 30 will get done. Well...first one up.
 
 
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------
 
 
I Promise....
 
Theme #6: The Space Between Dream and Reality
 
Summary: Squall had promised to meet her in the meadow, but Rinoa couldn't find him.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------
 
 
 
 
“He was supposed to be right behind me...” Rinoa whispered, turning around. The numbing breeze threw her hair into disarray. “But...he's not....”
 
I'll be waiting...
 
Squall had promised to meet her in the meadow, but Rinoa couldn't find it. She couldn't find him. They were gone....
 
Why...?
 
“Squall...?” she called softly. Her voice rang, lonesome, as she walked slowly over the barren earth. “Where are you...?”
 
I'll be waiting for you, so...
 
She glanced around frantically, but only derelict landscape and shadowy skies greeted her sight. “Squall! Squall!” The grayness absorbed her cries, unfeeling and uncaring.
 
...if you come here...
 
Right now, Rinoa didn't care if she was stuck here in this strange world between her reality and Ultimecia's, she wouldn't leave until she found him. It looks so sad, she thought, heart growing heavy with each step that she hadn't found Squall; that she was alone except for the warmth of her aura. But...this is where he said we'd meet...
 
I'll find you....
 
She reached her hand up and gripped onto her necklace, holding the two rings suspended there like they were her last hope. Running her forefinger over the engraving on the large ring, Rinoa reflected on Squall's explanation of the creature - Griever, a lion, the symbol for all that he was - quiet prowess, incredible power, unbridled pride and courage. Squall hadn't given up on her, and she wouldn't give up on him now.
 
I promise....
 
Her footfalls had become weary, and yet her heart held steadfastly to the two words he had sworn to her before they underwent Time Compression. `I promise...' “I promise I won't give up on you either, Squall.... I promise I'll find you....” She closed her eyes, envisioning his face. You promised me, Squall...you wouldn't break your word. The warmth of tears teased softly on her lashes. You promised...
 
As another breeze picked up again, Rinoa felt something pull at her, like a deep longing - a yearning that she knew full well. Pushing her untamed hair from her face with a hand, she opened her eyes and it was then she saw him, lying there as if simply resting peacefully...only Rinoa knew Squall never slept peacefully.
 
Taking a few measured strides, begging her body to be strong like Griever, she knelt down beside his quiescent body. Rinoa ran her hand through his long bangs. “Squall...” His name was no more than a whisper, a breath passing between her lips. Her palm paused on his cheek, feeling the slight heat that still lingered.
 
Squall's head lolled to the side quietly; the instinct that had called her to him was fading. Rinoa's eyes widened. No... The realization sank in as the cool, prideful aura that had always surrounded him since they'd met started to die away.
 
Rinoa lifted him into her arms, cradling his torso to hers. She looked at him pleadingly, heart beginning to pound harshly in her ears. Squall... She touched a hand to his forehead, tenderly running her hand through his hair again.
 
You promised you'd be here, Squall.... Rinoa gazed down at his chest. The Griever crest twinkled dimly in the murky twilight from its heavy chain. She blinked back the tears as they mounted again. Squall...this isn't how you keep a promise... You can't leave...not now, you can't....
 
Squall's thin lips remained pursed while his life-aura grew shallow and wispy about hers.
 
You can't... You can't! Rinoa clutched him tightly to her, finally releasing the hot tears onto his white shirt when she buried her face deeply into his chest. After all they'd been through, this was how their tale was going to end - sad, and before it had really begun?
 
Squall, please, you can't...
 
His aura died away.
 
I love you...
 
Rinoa sobbed, feeling her young sorceress powers pulse hotly through her veins, but paying them no heed. Her eyes shot open as her body grew warm, and beautiful light flooded from where she sat, cradling Squall's body. From the light, the storm-clouded heavens parted for the crystalline blue sky above and the desolate earth was renewed with life by the bright flowers dotting the swaying grasses that grew once more.
 
The meadow continued to flourish around her, the breeze whipping petals about.
 
She looked around in wonder.
 
Rinoa gazed at Squall again; a gentle tendril of cool energy kissed her own as his cobalt eyes opened slightly and met her marveling ones, speaking the words without saying them at all: I love you, too...