InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Far Away Eye's Fairytales: A Drabble Collection ❯ Damsel In Distress ( Chapter 50 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Title: Damsel In Distress
Author: Far Away Eyes
Word Count: 622
Rating: PG
Genre: Fluff
Summary: Caught in a rainstorm, Inuyasha and Kagome try to find shelter. Kagome struggles with being the “damsel in distress.”
 
Kagome blew into her hands, and shivered when a cold rivulet of water dripped down her back. They were caught out in a rainstorm, and all she wanted to do now was find shelter. Inuyasha glanced over his shoulder towards her, a scowl on his face. Kagome quickened her pace to catch up with him before he could complain about her being a weak human. She gave him a small smile, and continued on. Unfortunately, she wasn't paying attention like the klutz Inuyasha always called her, and her foot caught a rock in the road which sent her careening forward.
 
Instead of falling face first into the mud, Kagome felt a strong arm go around her waist, and Inuyasha's gruff baritone rumble in her ear, “You're such a klutz. Come on, let's get you out of the rain before you get sick again.”
 
Kagome began to protest that she wasn't a damsel in distress, and that she really didn't need his help, but it felt so good snuggled up against his chest. She'd let her opinions on feminism go unsaid this once. Besides, Inuyasha could get them to the cave that much faster. She was also tired of being cold and wet. Demurely, Kagome said, “Thank-you, Inuyasha.”
 
Inuyasha set her down in front of a cave, and entered it. Kagome followed once he waved his hand, indicating that it was safe. She sat down in a corner, and watched him prepare a fire. Once a modest, but cheerful fire was warming the cave, Kagome scooted closer to it. She blew into her hands again, chilled. Her school uniform clung to her body in uncomfortable places. She pulled at it, trying to pry it away from her clammy skin.
 
Startling her, she felt Inuyasha's warm fire rat settle over her shoulders. Again, Kagome wanted to object, tell him that she could take care of herself, but as the garment warmed by his body heat, blanketed her, Kagome felt her resistance fade. She snuggled into it, finding comfort in its warmth.
 
Kagome glanced towards Inuyasha. He sat staring at the cave entrance, his expression grim. Kagome looked back towards the fire. Sometimes, she felt like a hindrance to Inuyasha. She sighed, unsure of how to change things. Often, Kagome found that she despised feminist ideals of the world. It made things so complicated. Yet, Kagome didn't want to be solely dependent on Inuyasha, either. It was a dilemma, and she didn't have a real answer on how to solve it.
 
A sneeze overtook her, and she smiled in embarrassment at Inuyasha. She whispered, “Sorry.”
 
Inuyasha scooted closer, and put his arm around her shoulder. He pulled her close, and whispered in return, “Oi, wench, you're still freezing.”
 
Kagome began to stiffen. It was situations just like this that reaffirmed her status as a damsel in distress. However, as his warmth started to radiate through her, Kagome found it impossible to resist. She wrapped her arms around him, and snuggled up to his chest. Right now, she was grateful that Miroku and Sango were helping a village, and that Shippo had been left behind in Kaede's village. The longer she sat curled up against the hanyou, the more contented she felt.
 
Inuyasha tucked his fire rat tightly around her, and held her closer. “Getting any warmer, Kagome?”
 
Kagome nodded against his chest. She felt sleepy, and yawned. “Yes. Thank-you, Inuyasha.”
 
“It's---it's nothing.” Inuyasha replied gruffly.
 
Kagome stifled a giggle. She was certain the hanyou's cheeks were a dusted pink by now. That image alone made giving up her feminism up for one night worth it. Besides, snuggling felt so good. Sometimes, being the damsel in distress had its own benefits, after all.