InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Feni's Snippets ❯ Prelude to a Wish ( Chapter 13 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha. Wish I did, but I don't.
 
A/N: Written for the `Bell' drabble challenge on LJ's FirstTweak challenge community. Thanks to KnittingKnots and InuHanyouNikkie for the inspiration, and to Forthright for the beta job!
 
Warnings: Heavy spoilers for the manga # 556 and #557.
 
First posted on June 8th, 2008
 
Prelude to a Wish
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж
 
Darkness surrounds her, smothers her, the only illumination the taunting Jewel.
 
The right wish… but when I say it, what will happen to me? I-I'm scared.
 
“Kagome, can you hear me? Kagome! Wait for me! Don't make the wish without me!”
 
A point of light cracks the fathomless dark, and star-bright shards of eternity streak towards her, tugging her hair and clothes as they hurtle harmlessly past. Shielding her face, she peers towards the beacon of hope and in a moment is swathed in red, draped in silver and warmed by gold.
 
Power. Strength. Safety.
 
Inuyasha.
 
Trembling, she returns his desperate embrace. “Is it really you?” she whispers fearfully. “Please be real… please don't be an illusion.” She can feel his breath on her skin as his lips brush her forehead, breathe in his wild scent, and relief trickles down her cheeks. A calloused thumb tenderly wipes her tears; she watches, transfixed, as Inuyasha touches the tip of his tongue to the salty liquid before smiling a gentle, genuine smile.
 
His arms shift around her, one hand threading into her hair while the other presses her even closer until she's blushing from the intimacy… and then he kisses her. For a moment that lasts forever but isn't long enough, they are each other's entire world.
 
When she can breathe again, he's blushing too, but whispers, “Make the wish, Kagome. Break our fates with this wretched thing.”
 
She lays her head on his chest, over his madly-thumping heart, and whispers, “I'm afraid… “
 
He hugs her tightly, his lean body so strong. “Don't be.” His voice and lips are soft, right next to her ear. “You were born for me, and I for you; together we'll end this miserable cycle.”
 
“But what if…?”
 
“Don't doubt, don't hesitate… just strike. I'll protect you, I promise.”
 
She allows herself one final moment of refuge in his arms, and one more kiss in case this is all she will ever have of him.
 
As she prepares to speak the final words, a spectral wind swirls and brings a faint, crystalline bell-like chime that heralds an end… and perhaps, just perhaps… a new beginning…
 
Ж Ж Ж Ж Ж