InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ The Truth Hurts...in a good sorta way. ❯ Flowers. ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Truth; it's more complicated then we often think. While one person can bend it and end up seeming guilty, another can hand it to us on a platter and we still wouldn't believe them.

The problem, of course, is that we are trained from birth that not all truths are helpful, and not all lies are evil. There have always been certain ...situations that required just the teensiest bit of subterfuge in order for to keep the world spinning.

~Do I look fat in this dress?~ Of course not.

~Does size really matter?~ ABSOLUTELY not.

~Was it good for you?~ It was....*feigned exhaustion* amazing.

Perhaps the most ingrained and important agents against pure truth could be summed up in one simple phrase.

"If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."

The afore mentioned phrase stating that it was better to withhold the truth then speak it allowed for all the world to hear; possibly injuring someone's fragile ego.

Enter Kagome Hirugashi; a bright young woman with an unusual gift for purifying and time travel. A girl who, through the most innocent of actions, would be taught a lesson in what pure truth can truly do.

And it all would start a young girl's giggle.

"Oi, Wench! I said wait up!" Inu Yasha barked as he marched through the forest after his shard detecting companion with great trepidation.

"I'm telling you I hear a girl." Kagome retorted distractedly as she followed the mirthful sound through the forest as if being pulled in by a wire.

"Oi..You think ~I~ can't fucking hear that?" Inu Yasha snorted; implying there was nothing she could hear that he couldn't. He had, in fact, heard the giggle long before Kagome began to wander in its direction and simply paid it no mind until it caught the female's attention.

"Bitch!" Inu Yasha almost whimpered while flattening his ears down in a pathetic puppy dog sort of way. "You can't just .."

"It's JUST a girl." Kagome scoffed as she cut the hanyou off and continued toward the source of the sound.

"Keh." Inu Yasha responded warily as he followed the miko closely but allowed her to zero in on the sound that was so out of place in the middle of such thick forest.

Inu Yasha didn't know what was more unsettling; the fact that the giggle was miles away from any human village he knew about, or the fact that a human dare giggle AT ALL in an area of the west Inu Yasha KNEW his much hated half brother patrolled regularly.

Kagome gasped as she stumbled through the thickly overgrown forest to happen upon a clearing that obviously hadn't been touched by human hands for many many years. Adding to the beauty of the scene, toward the back of the clearing was a young girl, barley visible as she sat in a small patch of yellow flowers and sat cross-legged while attempting to braid them in what looked like a necklace.

Kagome's hand went to cover her heart as she watched the small girl sneeze, most likely from the pollen that seemed to hang heavy on the petals, before giggling again and continuing to braid the flowers into a necklace.

Goosebumps sprouted against Kagome's neck as she realized she had seen this girl before.

"R-Rin-chan?" Kagome questioned as she narrowed her eyes and took two discerning steps toward the girl who stilled under her questioning gaze.

"Kagome-chan?" The young girl perked up as she recognized the woman before her as the-wench-who-traveled-with-the-hanyou; recalling Sesshoumaru-sama's words.

"Rin-chan ...How are you?" Kagome questioned as she immediately ran to embrace the girl, twirling her around the way one would a younger cousin before setting her back down to sit amongst the flowers. She smiled at the thought and silently noted that ~cousin~ wasn't too far off. After all, she traveled with Inu Yasha and she considered him family, and Rin traveled with Sesshoumaru and more then likely considered him family as well; it didn't matter that the brother's didn't get along, that made them related, at least in Kagome's mind.

"What a beautiful necklace." Kagome offered sweetly as she lowered herself to sit next to the young girl and eyed the craftsmanship of the delicately weaved 'jewelry' with an approving glance.

"Thank you!" Rin answered back as she smiled up at Kagome the way any young carefree child should. "It's for you!"

"For me?" Kagome questioned as she blinked at the young girl sitting across from her. "I couldn't." She insisted while pushing the buds away. "Weren't you making it for someone before I showed up?"

"Kagome..." Inu Yasha warned from across the clearing, more then a little annoyed with the back and forth as a familiar tug at his senses made the hairs at the back of his neck bristle. 'Not now' Inu Yasha groaned as he noted they were all ready delayed enough as was in their quest for yet another shard. Why did Kagome have to be so friendly with his brother's whelp?

"I was making it for Sesshoumaru-sama." Rin answered as both females ignored the hanyou's warning statement. "But he never wears them." She finished before adding. "I think he thinks their too girly."

"Boys are dumb like that." Kagome giggled as she gave the young girl before her a teasing glance and in one swift motion placed the flower necklace over her shoulders; sneezing as the thick pollen quickly attacked her sinuses."

"Bless me." Kagome sniffled slightly as she squeezed at her nose slightly to smother the burning tingly sensation of yet another sneeze.

"These flowers always make Rin sneeze." The young girl offered randomly while tilting her head in an appreciative cant and sizing up the woman before her. "Kagome-chan is very pretty."

"Awwww." Kagome squealed as she allowed her ego to swell ever so slightly.

"Kagome get back here." Inu Yasha snarled as the tug against his senses became more insistent as simotaneously a familiar silk clad figure lazily strolled into the clearing.

"Inu Yasha." Sesshoumaru stated coolly as he glared at his brother with a look that suggested 'What are you doing here?' probably should have followed.

"Kagome..." Inu Yasha warned as the girls continued jabbering away in their golden nest of flowers and seemingly ignored them.

Sesshoumaru sighed inwardly as he took note of his ward's location and the familiar flowers she was now weaving into yet another necklace. He had never disapproved of her strange habit of collecting things of beauty and presenting them to him as presents, all though, he never encouraged such a thing either. It wasn't the fact that she was once again practically swimming in a flower bed that caused his annoyance to spike as he seemingly ignored his hated half brother. It was the fact that she had once again, even after being warned against such things, buried her petite form in what the locals called the Shinjitsu flower.

Sesshoumaru bit back another sigh as he recalled the endless stream of questions that flowed from the girl's mouth the LAST time she had stumbled upon the much hated weeds that were decidedly the ugliest thing he had ever seen.

~Sesshoumaru-sama how come you don't have a beard?~

~Sesshoumaru-sama how come you never go fishing with us?~

~Sesshoumaru-sama why aren't you married?~

~Sesshoumaru-sama can I braid your hair? PLEASE? PUH-LEASE?~

Sesshoumaru sighed audibly as he relived the excruciating month in his mind and slowly came to understand the effect the flower-of-truth seemed to have on his small curious ward. He had actually allowed her to braid his hair then, though he made her promise to tell no one once the effects of the flower had worn off. He had after all a reputation to uphold, and admitting openly that his ~hair stylist~ was a small girl who often ran around barefoot and braided him small trinkets of withering flowers, was not something he planned on doing soon. What was her obsession with braiding anyways?

A soft sadistic smirk curled against Sesshoumaru's lip as he recognized the figure sitting adjacent to his ward. So Inu Yasha's wench was infected as well? His heart throbbed silently as it attempted to leap out and perform a small dance of victory. The only thing that could perhaps ease the knowledge that he was once again about to live a month of pure hell, was knowing that his hapless half brother would share his fate. After all, what could be more hellish then having to listen to every single idea that prattled through a young woman's mind?

Nothing, that's what.

"Rin." Sesshoumaru warned as he gave his ward a meaningful glare. "What have I told you about these flowers?"

"Mou." Rin answered with a pout, obviously recalling a lecture she had forgotten as she stood from the flower bed and dusted her clothing lightly. "Gomen Sesshoumaru-sama. Rin forgot."

Kagome allowed her eyes to wander over the demon lord as he scolded his ward and then turned once again to say something to Inu Yasha that she completely tuned out. She always seemed to miss what Sesshouamaru was saying. He was just too perfect. Everything he did made him seem just so ...godly was the only word that came to mind. His lips were moving again as Inu Yasha barked something in reply and Kagome rose to her feet, admiring the way his hair fell against his shoulders effortlessly as one single thought rolled through her mind.

"Damn he's hot." Kagome uttered before her eyes grew large and a hand clamped over her mouth in utter mortification.

Rin stood blinking at her side, casting her gaze to Sesshoumaru, who was now staring at them with cold golden eyes while the conversation he had been having with his irritating half brother quickly faded into nothing, and then back to Kagome.

"Nuh uh." Rin corrected innocently. "Sesshoumaru-sama is ...normal temperature." She offered as she recalled the few times she had touched her beloved protector and seemingly missed the darker shade of crimson that burned against Kagome's cheeks.

"That's not what I meant." Kagome corrected as she lowered her hand from her mouth momentarily only to clap it over the orifice once again.

"Whabs habbening?" Kagome questioned against her palm as she threw another hand over her mouth to completely blot out the sound of her words while every thought that even barely crossed her mind spilled effortlessly over her lips.

"That's why Rin isn't supposed to play in these flowers." The young girl offered with a smile while staring at the mumbling woman before her. "Lord Sesshoumaru said it makes Rin talk too much."

Kagome shot Inu Yasha a horrified little gasp as she continued to hold her hands over her mouth, causing Inu Yasha to quickly turned on Sesshoumaru before bellowing. "What the fuck is she talking about?"

Sesshoumaru's smirk was once again pulling at the side of his lip as he stared at the obviously outraged hanyou. 'Oh sweet irony.' The taiyoukai's inner voice cooed as he prepared to deliver his explanation in a voice that he knew would be less then comforting.

"Perhaps this will teach you not to enter my lands without first seeking permission half-breed." Sesshoumaru drawled out as his young ward recognized the dark tone and began to fall in behind him as she was trained to do.

"What the fuck are YOU talking about?" Inu Yasha barked again as he stared at Sesshoumaru and then back at Kagome who still had both hands over her mouth. "What did your brat do to her?"

Sesshoumaru growled slightly as Inu Yasha's language and demeanor toward his ward caused a sharp stabbing pain to twist into his gut. "Your miko has been tainted by the dust of the Shinjitsu flower." He began in a pleased tone that suggested he found humor in his statement. "For a full cycle of the moon she will be unable to keep her thoughts to herself."

Kagome's eyes grew huge and she whimpered something into her hand as she slowly processed the information Sesshoumaru gladly bestowed upon them. She couldn't keep her inner thoughts...inside? For a MONTH? Oh merciful kami, why did things like this always have to happen to her? She continued to voice her concerns against her palms, thusly muffling them as Inu Yasha turned to face her again.

"Keh. Dammit Kagome I TOLD you you'd get in trouble." Inu Yasha snorted while lowering his sword slightly as his brother's body language seemed to indicate he was not interested in a fight.

"Phbunk Yob!" Kagome squeaked out angrily as her hand continued to muffled her inner thoughts; making them sound more like a distant goose honking.

Inu Yasha didn't need his keen sense of hearing to discern exactly what it was that she said and he grimaced slightly as he realized his brother was telling the truth.

"How do we reverse it?" Inu Yasha barked as she caught his brother's gaze again and once again lowered himself into a defensive posture.

Sesshoumaru wanted to sigh as he heard his brother pose the exact same question he had pondered many months before.

"You must let it run its course." Sesshoumaru bit out with agitation as he slowly began to turn from the hanyou, ward in tow, while deciding the whole scene before him had grown tedious.

"Wait!" Kagome pleaded frantically as she stopped the Taiyoukai in his tracks and uttered a sentence she never thought would ever pass over her lips when in reference to Sesshoumaru. "I'm coming with you!" She exclaimed before slapping her hand over her mouth again to muffle her voice.

Sesshoumaru snorted in a disapproving way at the girl who now cast him an unsure glance. Obviously the thoughts that went through THIS woman's mind were more tedious then most. Why would the great Taiyoukai of the west, all ready saddled with a female, who would inevitably drive him insane for an entire month, want to add to his discomfort by throwing in the ramblings of a young woman? He knew the female found him attractive, even before her previous unguarded statement, but did she honestly think he would want ANYTHING to do with HER?

Kagome grimaced as the words left her mouth. She had pondered everything too quickly, despite the fact that she consistently mumbled every thought against her hand, but what option did she have? Go shard hunting with Inu Yasha and pray that some depraved thought didn't sneak past her lips for the expanse of an entire month? She wasn't a hentai but even she couldn't control her minds musings when Inu Yasha bent over in front of her to pick something up. Or worse, go through the well and accidentally blab to everyone in her time that she jumps through a well that transports her five hundred years into the past? Most likely ending up in an insane asylum?

Kaogme played with the idea of wearing a gag while she went shard hunting, all though only momentarily. She knew herself too well. Inevitably, there would be a time when she would desperately need to scold Inu Yasha and then who knew what would come out.

"Please..." Kagome pleaded as she noted the look both Inu Yasha and Sesshoumaru seemed to be giving her while their eyes seemed to scream. 'The hell you are.'

"I can watch Rin." She haggled as she desperately tried to convince the Taiyoukai who seemed more then willing to simply depart without her. "And keep her busy so ...neither of us annoys you that much. Just until THIS wears off..Please."

Sesshoumaru seemed to mull over her words carefully. There was logic there. Something he couldn't believe he had overlooked while a human woman seemed to grasp it so easily. If neither female could shut their mouths, then why not let them talk each other out? If it would keep Rin out of his hair, literally and figuratively, surely it was worth it. He growled as he weighed his options carefully.

The question was, what did Sesshoumaru desire more; to subject his half brother to a living hell for the next month or to assuage his own discomfort?

"There is no fucking way I'm letting you leave with that bastard." Inu Yasha barked; missing the smirk that twisted against his brother's features as he realized perhaps he could have both.

"You may accompany this Sesshoumaru." The demon lord responded disinterestedly, catching the soft whine that rolled off the back of his half brothers throat, and mentally patting himself on the back.

"I have to Inu Yasha." Kagome retorted as she removed her hands from her mouth hesitantly and attempted to explain her reasoning. "He's dealt with this before, and he needs someone to take care of Rin..and it would be less embarrassing if I.."

Kagome's words faltered as she placed her hands over her mouth again and mumbled into them. 'if I accidentally say something embarrassing. After all, its not like I have to face him every day.'

"You're fucking stupid if you think I'm just going to let you go Kagome." The hanyou barked as he took a step towards the muffled miko and extended a clawed hand in an attempt to hold her there.

Kagome froze for just a moment as everything seemed to happen in slow motion; her eyes darting from the demon lord to her advancing friend as she mumbled something about this being a deciding moment against her palm.

A curt nod from the Taiyoukai as he silently agreed finally bringing Kagome out of the moment as she hesitatingly pulled her hand away from her mouth and uttered the one word that never stayed within the confines of her skull for very long.

"Oswarii." Kagome grimaced as she stared at her friend who now cursed at her through the dirt of the ground. "Ouchie.." She winced as she empathized with the hanyou. "That looked like it hurt."

"I'm so sorry." Kagome apologized even after she began to follow the Taiyoukai into the forest.

"Don't be mad at me!" Kagome hollered as she put more distance between herself and the aggravated half demon. "Be nice to Shippo!" She finally yelled as she disappeared into the forest behind Sesshoumaru; disappearing without a trace as the Taiyoukai covered their tracks behind them so that they could not be followed.