Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction ❯ Wild Horses & Pokegirls - sidestories ❯ Other Side Of The Threshold ( Chapter 6 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Sidestory #6: Other Side Of The Threshold

January 8, 298 AS:____

Uhm. I was told to tell the story of, well, I guess *my* story.

My name is, or at least *was*, Hiromi Kitase. I had a pretty normal childhood, I think. Grew up in a small town near New Pork named Mayonaka in Johto. I wasn't a cram school student by any stretch of the imagination. I was OK in Home Economics, good at Literature, absolutely pathetic at math. Pretty average if you judge by my friends at least.

Didn't associate with pokegirls much, but that's pretty typical. Girls don't usually associate with pokegirls on a day-to-day basis. There's a lot of reasons for it, mostly superstitions about how continual contact with a pokegirl will cause a trigger. That's been disproved of course. Like the bit about loving to swim means you've got a pokegirl ancestor with a water affinity.

Anyway, the only odd thing about my youth was something my brother got me on. He was always working on engines. You know just scooters and things like that, our community wasn't well off enough to see a lot of cars or anything. Anyway, Jiro's big love was always working with machines like scooters and the old 'duster over at Old Man Yamazaki's place. It *is* important work, you know. Cars and such are built by hand, the knowledge of how to build automated assembly lines is part of the lostech out there. So what we've got are vehicles handed down a generation or two, of course there's often not much of the original vehicle left because mechanicists like my brother were always having to build and replace parts.

What happened to him? Well, it was one of those pirate groups. Came right up the bay, didn't bother to hit New Pork. Why they hit a little town like Mayonaka is anyone's guess. One of the pokegirls among the pirates shot him, not sure what kind, just that she was a poison type and from where she shot him probably a lesbian kind. He was trying to hide behind some machinery but they killed him anyway.

It was hard. I was eleven years old, Jiro had been nine years older than me. Our parents had died years previously, one of those Flu bugs that periodically go through. So I ended up raising myself from then on. Jiro had been all the family I knew - my always dependable older brother.

Anyway, that happened in 295. I started taking over Jiro's hobby and keeping things working *was* a lot of fun, you know. Even with the cranky parts replicators we had in the shop.

That's why I wanted to join the Police earlier this year. Failed the physical though.

Anyway it was last week that I started getting sick. Threshold sickness.

I've heard that the first sign is usually the coloration. The main visual difference between a Very Near Human pokegirl and human girl is often skin or hair or eye color. Mine was a little different. I started eating a lot. Odd cravings too.

I found out for sure about four days into it, feeling hot and oddly heavy. I didn't look much different but the scales were showing a major change. Five foot five, thin build, and weighing one hundred sixty pounds? Yeah, you could say there was something going on.

It was odd, because of our parents being gone, neither myself or Jiro had any information that might indicate pokegirl ancestry. Still, if we *were* going to show pokegirl ancestry, you'd think Kitten or something like that wouldn't you? Maybe a Tomboy or something like that.

After the checking came back and I got the news, I got a few days to put things in order before the report went out. Small communities are like that, we tend to stick together. So I made my goodbyes, and went around, trying to keep upbeat about this. Not for my sake. For my friends and acquaintances. Small communities, you know. Shikata ga nai.

Then I answered one of those odd cravings. Metal and rocks. Choosing smooth bits, I wasn't trying to end it all. Mineral supplements. Pokechow. Then slept it off.

That was yesterday. I have no idea who will handle the Kitase Machine Shop. One of my friends will come by and take care of the place, but there isn't anyone else in town who can operate the equipment or keep it maintained.

January 11, 298 AS:__

I was taken in a car to one of the Johto League Breeding Centers, specifically the one known as the Sabishii Center.

It's normal policy to seperate the new pokegirl from their family and friends. The old life ended, the new life begun. From what one of the mechanics here was telling me, the practice started because the suicide rate was higher before the policy went into effect. Maybe old rivals and well meaning friends caused problems accepting the new reality.

Oh, and they've got all sorts of machines here. Lots of them break down from time to time, so they've got a mechanic and an apprentice that come out here frequently.

The Sabishii Center is an odd rambling sort of affair. I don't know if this is usual so I'll explain it. Sabishii has a sort of "[" building with all the rooms and everything there facing the outer fence and road. Further back is an orchard and a field for farming, also a playpark where a Wreckball team practices. Apparently some of the Breeders compete in a private league.

There's a Brood Chamber, and a Punishment Room. Apparently when someone is sufficiently bad, this is where they get sent. Nobody wanted to talk about *that* room - apparently it is a rare event when it is used and it must be pretty horrible from all the looks.

Still sleeping a lot as the Threshold catches up with me. I'm told this is normal though.

February 5, 298 AS:__

Skin turned dark gray, and my transformation seems to be going pretty well. Hard to be upbeat about it when it hurts this much. I'm told it'll be easier to move when I'm through it all the way.

I'm shorter by a bit too, though my weight isn't changing. When I finish transforming to Amachop, it'll level off some.

Still eating and sleeping a lot as the changes continue. Dealing with this darn heaviness is difficult at times, but it won't keep me down. There's some machines here which were covered with a tarp that I've *got* to get a look at.

February 6, 298 AS:__

Apparently there is what everyone "knows" and says, and then there is what everyone *knows.* At least around here.

The Breeder here is a kind hearted but doddering old man by the name of Kenji Tomado. He apparently was a Tamer during Mao's Rebellion and will tell some really awful war stories at the drop of a hat. Apparently he was in one of the dirigible fights, lost one of his pokegirls, then had to kill her in combat after the Enemy had reduced her to a Feral state in order to "re-educate" his Onyx.

It was a kill or be killed situation, and Master Tomado still cries over the loss almost fifty years later. He didn't have the heart to be a Tamer after that.

Mao's Rebellion is given a few days in the schools: you hear about the high points and the famous battles like the "Retaking Of Pine Ridge" and the "Carrier Assault" but you don't hear the details to any extent. Listening to Tomado-sensei (he prefers being called sensei or otoosan by "his 'girls") telling about the battle and pointing to his sword and gun, you get a much greater feel for the events.

I nearly lost my lunch an hour after I'd eaten when he talked about when his troops were sent into Pine Ridge after the Enemy cleared out. The traps, the arranged corpses acting out macabre scenes, places where humans and pokegirls who had resisted the Rebellion had obviously been mutilated and feasted on before they were allowed to die...

No, you'll get no sympathy from Kenji Tomado for Mao Shin Mao or her cause. Yet despite the horrors he saw during those years, he tends to regard all of the pokegirls here as his children.

As for the other pokegirls here, they seem to like him.

I'm still too weak to do much work around here, but they all promise that I'll make up for it once my changes are over.

One of the things that became obvious is that Tomado-sensei delegates authority a lot. His "Second In Command" is a survivor from his Tamer days: Sherbet - an aged Amazonlee with a scar across the right side of her face and a crooked smile. She's backed by: Terranova, a Geoboob; and Yukia, a Dryad. I got the feeling when meeting them that Sherbet mainly calls the shots, but that she's really fond of her old Commander.

February 11, 298 AS:___

They weren't kidding about my workload. The changes were nearly complete when my hair abruptly started coming out in clumps and they just piled the work on until I was a mass of sore muscles and twitching pain. Part of it was to keep me busy and not scratching my skin off, I guess.

I can't work the fields or the orchard. Not for a lack of enthusiasm or knowledge, but I'm now 4'10" tall and 350 pounds. Just walking on soft ground is unpleasant, I tend to sink in.

Amachop apparently are very smooth skinned with no hair to be found *anywhere.* My hands and feet are smaller in proportion to my body than they used to be, my eyes have turned from dark brown to reddish-brown, and there's those thickened patches of skin - where dermal plating will appear if I evolve to Amachoke.

What really amazes me is my strength.

There's a windmill that operates the well pumps, but there's a backup for when the wind isn't blowing like today. Someone, probably that mechanic that comes by, hooked up the pump section from a rail inspection cart and hooked it to a mechanism to pump up the water and send it through a series of filters.

Today I spent over six hours on that pump, with the other side being manned by two Vixxen, a Tomboy, and an Eva. The hard part was trying to match their pace.

There's no room for loafing at the Sabishii Center, we all work hard and contribute. I'd prefer more time to play or get acquainted with the others here, but them's the breaks. When we're not being worked into the ground we're being taught.

Wreckball is something that never interested me, but apparently the others all want me to be on *their* team. I'm not that fast but the idea is that as a goalkeeper I could take practically any *physical* attack the other side wants to dish out. As Wreckball is a popular sport and a pokegirl can attain fame and fortune, it is considered a job skill for those who show any promise.

Apparently the Breeder League is a sort of junior league that the pros can then scout for promising pokegirls to recruit for their teams. Hadn't occurred to me until I heard that.

Many of the pokegirls here learn domestic skills. Sabishii specializes in placing pokegirls in domestic rural settings, or as pets. So my newest friends are mainly taking different classes than I will. I shall apparently be learning unarmed fighting techniques and construction because that's where most Amachop get placed.

Oh, I should mention them. We talked a lot on that pumping duty, not much else to do.

The two Vixxen are Hibana and Hibachi. I can't tell them apart except that Hibachi has a red "lucky bandana" that she wears. They're littermates, not that you can really tell one Vixxen from another. Hibachi is the more talented cook and makes lunches, Hibana apparently has a tendency to overspice things because she makes things to *her* taste. Hibachi seems better able to remember that not everyone is a fire type.

The Tomboy looks really human, in the manner of their breed. She tends to get all dark and broody, but Tien isn't that bad once you get to know her. She was born here, like the others, and has always been in the shadow of (her tone and look suggesting these are *her* feelings) sexier and more glamorous sisters.

Which leaves the ultra-cute and energetic Eva - Delia. Delia is also slightly ditzy from my conversation with her, and is the sort that absolutely nothing will get her down for very long. She's apparently the darling of the Ranch and is expected to be snatched up as soon as she comes of the proper age in a few months. She was born and raised here but is anxious in her own way to leave the Ranch and see the world.

Since I was the only Thresholder there, and the only one to have experienced firsthand life off the Ranch, I did most of the talking.

-------

February 12, 298 AS:

I only *thought* I was sore yesterday. Today the wind was blowing enough that the windmill operated, so Sherbet decided to check out my combat skills.

Obviously there is a difference between being tough and tough enough.

Sherbet is an Amazonlee and older than my mother would be. After she finished beating me up, she critiqued my performance. Apparently she's met Snorlass who were faster. Delia is a better candidate for a fighter. Her stated opinion was that as far as my career as a fighter, I would make an excellent pastry chef.

Then she got down to the basics, which is that apparently I don't have the right "fire" to be a combat type. Even if she was able to correct my reflexes and work on my speed, that unless I was able to motivate myself to win each and every fight - that I wouldn't last a week with either a Tamer or on a fight circuit.

I look at myself in the mirror and see a pokegirl, an Amachop, a slender hairless girl with stone-colored skin and red-brown eyes. This is me, but apparently I also need to define myself further somehow.

-------

February 13, 298 AS:

A person came by today who apparently Sherbet knew. Everyone was smiles and acted dumber than dirt, almost Feral, until he had finally left. The Master had to come and see to this guy and as soon as the guy *was* gone the bland expression left the Master's face and I'd never seen him scowl like that before or since.

Apparently this guy was a fight promoter for the "Dark League" - a sort of underground series of anything goes fights where pokegirls are regularly killed for the entertainment of the crowds. Hibachi tells me that people like that regularly show up unannounced at Ranches and the like, looking for things to blackmail the Breeder with or just scout out pokegirls to later come back and steal.

Yukia added that other places, like Madame Strange's House Of Exotica, were also supplied by such means. A little bird told her about such things.

Once the weaselly little "vaccuum cleaner salesman" had left, we all felt relieved and started talking about these things.

Later on the mechanic came by, but apparently his apprentice had decided to go off and try his hand at another profession. As soon as I could finish my work replacing a section of fence, I came over to see what was up.

I started out just handing him some tools while he was working on the boiler for the Brooding Chamber. You can bet I was careful not to go within! I'd heard some of the girls talking about how just being in there can stimulate parthenogenesis, and I am *not* ready to be a mother!

Before you know it, we were chatting about T-40 modules and he was telling me about this new technique using spinnertit silk fibers in mortar in order to strengthen walls. It was nice to be able to "talk shop" again. Mister Sanada seemed to enjoy the company too.

All in all, an eventful day.

-------

February 14, 298 AS:

Last night, "Gary The Vaccuum Cleaner Salesman" snuck in and pokeballed Delia.

He didn't get away. Once the capture occurred it set off an alarm. He *tried* to get away, even setting his own pokegirls out to attack us.

Well, it looks like I *can* fight when the pressures on. When I heard that one of my best friends was being stolen, I practically flattened this Lamia he'd thrown out. All I was really aware of was that this snake-woman was in between me and someone trying to hurt Delia.

Delia was OK. She's sleeping next to me in fact. She's quite upset with the idea that someone would actually want to hurt her. As for our midnight guest, well, he was held for the police though more than a few wanted to remove him from continued existence. Myself included.

Which is odd. I've never been bloodthirsty before. If so, those pirates that had killed Jiro would be on the list. We're sort of a family here, but not nearly to the extent Jiro was for me.

The thought of Delia being forced into arena fights though. Maybe that's just something about Delia - she's so helpless that it makes you protective of her.

-------

February 18, 298 AS:

Roger Sanada returned again today and actually asked if I could assist him. Naturally I was ready to go. Working another set of cranks to generate electricity gets so boring so quickly!

This was helping to set up a security upgrade for the Ranch. Apparently there was one of those Team Rocket groups in the area.

There are several methods of scanning for pokegirls, which I did not know. Pokegirl physiology differs in several ways from humans. Human body temperature occupies a narrow band around 98.6F, whereas pokegirls can range anywhere from the 70s to over 300 in some Fire types. A lot of pokegirls have more than one heart.

Anyway, sonar fields are one of the most common ways to tell if some intruder is a pokegirl or not. The return can have a number of indicators that will be "off" from a human girl, even if the pokegirl is a Tomboy or other Very Near Human. Tissue density and that sort of thing.

IR and UV scans are gonna be different too. So the sensor fence has got all these other things going. Designed to not only detect pokegirls trying to get through, but determine type. If a human tries to get through the fence, that'll show up too. Other sensors detect a number of tools and things like capture webs - gadgets which apparently are really rare and illegal but Roger tells me that the pirates have been known to use.

I'm also finding out some uncomfortable things. Will go into that tomorrow if it checks out.

-------

February 19, 298 AS:

Well. This was really interesting.

The most I expected to happen today was checking into the files on psychological alterations in pokegirls due to brain chemistry. Instead I got most of the day off.

Another pokegirl thief showed up. She threw a little sphere and I heard Roger scream that it was a grenade. I knew technically what a grenade was - an explosive handheld antipersonnel device. I did a school project on ancient warfare back in Junior High.

There were little ones screaming, and the thief was going to get away. I didn't think about it, I just did it. Which was to land atop the thing and cover it with my body.

It really surprised me when I woke up. Those things are supposed to have a really good oomph.

Actually I guess they do. Roger was most upset with me. I had some pretty bad cuts and bruises. Apparently I got bounced pretty high and the floor of the center got *really* badly smashed. None of the girls were injured, apparently not only is my new body sufficiently tough that I can stop an old style weapon like that, but that pokegirl rate of healing is taking care of most of the rest.

As Roger pointed out, if I had been human at that time they'd have been cleaning me up with a sponge.

Did I mention that Roger has a serious lack of tact at times?

So I have some down time while I recover.

You know, this *really* hurts.

---------

February 24, 298 AS:

There were some internal injuries. It looks like I'm going to be out of it for another reason very shortly though.

Legally, I can't be owned or Tamed yet. However, what everyone is saying is that as my healing factor kicks in, my pokegirl traits are going to come in with a vengeance. I'm going to go Feral, at which point the healing factor will go way way up.

The problem is that I'm going to be stuck in Feral mode for at least a month. More likely longer than that. I've read some of the literature and while it's scary as hell, it also isn't permanent. Unless I'm subjected to a full level 5 programming, and that isn't likely as I haven't exhibited criminal or dangerous behavior. It's illegal to do a Level 5 except to those who are a danger to others. At least Johto in rules those are.

Getting hard to concentrate enough to write. Past few days have been like walking in a fog. Feel it getting diffi hard to think. Feel hot. Heavy. Odd.

Roger coming visit. Maybe he talk me. So much I want say do. Is

Amachop?

-------

December 16, 298 AS:

Amachoke? Ama ama amachoke.

A.

-------

December 17, 298 AS:

Man, it's going to be difficult to break out of that habit.

Being Feral was interesting but not what I had expected. It's mostly presented as being turned into a wild animal. That isn't quite it.

You're still *you* it's just that you're not thinking in terribly complicated ways. You can understand some basics of human speech still, nothing too complex, but someone telling you to hold this or hit that or watch for intruders or something still makes sense. Reading and speaking yourself is something you can't quite grasp. Longterm memory is also something more noticeable by absence than presence.

I can remember bits and pieces of what I went through. Sanada-san apparently was by frequently and would request my assistance. That Amachop strength was quite useful whenever pipe had to be bent or something lifted.

The bad news is that I evolved during some of that heavy lifting and that put my recovery back further.

As an Amachoke, I am *huge*. I'm over a foot and a half taller than Sanada-san, my biceps are huger than his thighs, and I look like a male bodybuilder. Except for the breasts and the lack of male equipment. Muscles everywhere, bulging and getting in the way. I can't even manage fine manipulation like taking apart an engine - my fingers are too thick and bulky.

I'm still stuck speaking "Amachoke" a lot, but by concentrating I can communicate by writing now. The language should come back in a few more weeks. They got me a whiteboard until then.

My strength. Good grief. It's requiring effort not only to focus enough to write but to not crush the pen. Everything around me has to be treated like it was made of the finest porcelain or I could accidently break it. I discovered that I'd been chained up most of the time since my evolution with a "strength restraining harness" - I was ready to go back into it after the first few minutes of breaking walls and cabinets but they assured me that now that I was able to think clearly I'd get used to it.

I just hope they're right and I'll evolve soon. The Owner has been getting me out into fights regularly but has been telling Tamers that I'm spoken for (?!) and not available as an acquisition. As soon as I can *talk* I want an explanation of that!

-----

January 29, 299 AS:

Evolution can be painful. "There will be some discomfort." Yeah, right!

Compacted quite a bit from Amachoke to Amachamp, I weigh in at over 900 pounds and am denser than you'd expect. Four arms, four breasts, two legs, skin that looks like burnished rock or something like that. Kinda purplish unless you look really close and see that there's a faint pattern of other colors there. My rib cage is now twice the length it was.

I'm still huge, maybe 6'9", but a damn sight sexier and better looking than I was as an Amachoke. Though I was told to just get used to my new body, I had to write it all down.

The hormones are still roaring through my system. I'm fairly lucid right now, a few minutes ago I was giggling as I was bouncing my new firm big breasts. Damn, they're really sensitive.

Strength is up again. So is physical toughness. Unless the poison gets to me I could rip apart a Widow. Or a big rig. Let's see those pirates try attacking when *I* am here!

I have *hair* coming in again! Yes! After having the various furries come by and buff my head for luck, I have hair coming in. Itches but it's there. Checked some pictures of other Amachamps, and it isn't human hair but it has some of the same look. It's actually the same sort of material as my skin. Normal scissors or something won't cut it without dulling the blade really quick. Have to use special equipment used for cutting metal or other tough materials.

I'm not unstoppable though. Even after evolving I wasn't able to catch that Espea. Instead she just grunted as she telekinetically lifted me and started tossing me around.

Ouch.

A lot of evolved forms look more human than the basics. Amachop to Amachoke to Amachamp is one of those. Oh well, I'm told that I've got big news tomorrow and a meeting with the Owner.

Hope it's some downtime. That Espea wasn't exactly gentle.

-------

January 30, 299 AS:

I write this with tears in my eyes so don't blame me if the page gets a bit blurry.

Hiromi Kitase started the journey. Hiromi Amachamp finished it. Now I start another journey.

Yup, got called into the Owner's chambers, saw Sanada-sama there and figured it was another job I was supposed to help on.

In Sabishii, things are a little different. I was brought in and told to kneel. Which I would have anyway just because the last chair I sat in collapsed from my weight.

The Owner was saying something that sounded awfully formal, but what caught my attention was that Roger Sanada had requested my purchase and was this okay with me?

Okay?

If I hadn't immediately reigned in my reaction I might have killed my new Owner just trying to give him a hug. I have to remember to be very very careful when I'm not being restrained my fingers can go through sheet metal after all. I indicated as formally as I could since *they* were being so formal that I found this arrangement acceptable. Still kneeling, I let my new Owner fix a collar around my neck.

From this collar I can put a couple of long strips of cloth, turning the collar into a dress. One of those rocksinging Kittens has apparently been doing this for awhile, and it is all the rage among pokegirls who have collars and Masters who don't mind if their pokegirls "dress up".

So, here we are. My first "Taming" has left me feeling oddly giddy and lightheaded. Neither of us like the term "Taming" so we'll come up with another term to use. No esper bond like those Kittens are supposed to have, Roger is psychically about as powerful as I'm physically fragile.

Of course, I was bound. Good thing too. Had been trying not to move but I still managed to break some of the smaller chains. Roger-sama is exhausted and two of the "tools" he used to make sure I was ready for that step were crushed. Apparently internal muscles are nearly as strong as external.

Saw the place when we got here and I'm looking forward to exploring. There's a garage and a junkyard full of old gadgets and such that need to be worked on.

You know, I think I'm gonna like it here.

===========

Hiromi Amachamp was purchased from the Sabashii Ranch in 299 AS by Roger Sanada. The two have developed a machinist's shop in the outskirts of the Johto League city of Oshinoke. Hiromi does body work and parts pulling, and in 300 AS gave birth to a human baby - Fuma.