6teen Fan Fiction ❯ 7teen: Bowling Bros ❯ Big Shot ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER FOUR
The game was on, and Caitlin was up first. Her first shot, she missed and got a gutter ball. Then she knocked just one pin, while the Rock `N Bowlers had already gotten three strikes and a spare.
Things just started and were already not looking so good. Luckily, Jude, Wyatt, and Jonesy made up for the lagging, they got lots of strikes, more than the Rock `N Bowler's got too, putting them right back in the game so maybe things wouldn't be so bad after all… until…!
The Rock `N Bowlers were secretly talking during the break period. “Those guys are playing better than ever. Even with that chick on their team.”
“Give the signal…!”
One of the bowlers dropped his rag on the floor, and a pair of sinister eyes in the dark behind the pins of their lane saw it.
The team was overjoyed believing their victory seemed assured, but when the game started up again, things changed indeed. The Rock `N Bowlers got so many strikes, it was unbelievable, and due to Caitlin's poor gaming skill, our team was sliding badly.
Nikki and Jen couldn't help but notice how the pins were falling on the other lane. That's when Nikki asked Jen to come with her to the back… because she had Jonesy's key. “How did you get it…?” Jen asked.
Nikki explained that she snatched it out of Jonesy's pocket while they shared a romantic embrace earlier. Something was going on and she wanted to find out what it was. So she and Jen crept away from the crowds and snuck into the back.
The game was still going, and our team was already more than five strikes behind, and with only one game left to play. The odds weren't really looking good for us. Caitlin apologized, feeling it was all her fault, and in a way it was, but none of us wanted to berate her at all… she was doing her best.
“Say… Where's Jen and Nikki?” asked Wyatt.
I didn't even see them leave…
Behind the back of the lanes, Jen and Nikki saw what happened to the pins after they were knocked down, and the where the balls went. “Cool…” Jen exclaimed.
“Wait… who's that?” Nikki asked as she pointed ahead.
There was a young man standing near the set of pins for the Rock `N Bowlers' lane. Next to him lay a pile of pins, while another set of pins was being loaded into the machine. Something seemed odd though. There were ten black strings tied to the pins connected to the guy's fingers.
Then, a ball cam in and knocked down seven of the ten pins, but the guy yanked on the strings quickly and pulled the other pins making look as if they fell. “So that's it.” snapped Nikki.
They gazed sinisterly at each other and nodded. Then they slowly crept up behind the guy.
While outside, our team was getting creamed badly, and the Rock `N Bowlers were up again. Christo bowled another strike…
…Nikki and Jen's chance had come. They jumped up behind the guy with the strings and went “BOO…!”
“YEOW…!” The guy leapt in fright and fell onto of the crane and was lowered down into the open where everyone could see him. “Dude…?” snapped Jude.
“What the…!” added Wyatt.
The game was paused, and as the alley-hands helped the guy out from the lane, they noticed the strings tied from his fingers to the pins. “Heh, heh… how'd that happen?” but it was no use trying.
Everyone was appalled and began to boo and hiss at the Rock `N Bowlers. All this time they were cheating. While the judges were ready to disqualify the team, our team decided to let it go… on one condition…
The scores would be erased for the final game, and they'd play by it with whatever they got. So it was agreed, and now was our chance to clobber the cheaters fair-and-square.
So the game was back on, but even though the other guys weren't cheating anymore. With Caitlin's inability to bowl well it still made it anyone's game, but finally at the end. It was down to the very last frame. Jude just bowled a big healthy strike for the team. “Dude!” he cheered.
Wyatt checked the scores. “We're tied!” he was happy to say. All we needed now was one pin to win it all, but they only had one bowler left… Caitlin!
Even Caitlin was feeling nervous now. She only had two chances now. “Whatever you do… don't miss.” Jonesy said. “Gee… thanks…” Caitlin said sarcastically.
She ran her hands through the air-blower, and picked up her ball with all her might. “UGH…!” she threw her first ball and it fell into the gutter. The guys on the team were already bracing themselves to accept failure. “Hey, at least we'll be tied.” Wyatt pointed out.
Caitlin still had one last shot to knock over a single pin. With all her might Caitlin shoved the ball. It started to swerve towards the gutter, but it managed to touch the tenth pin causing it to wobble, but would it fall over…?
The crowd and I watched in extreme nervous tension as the pin wobbled more… and finally… it fell… and knocked down all the other pins like dominoes giving Caitlin a spare!
All was quiet at first, and people were remarking of what just happened. A shot like that was impossible, yet it happened.
Finally, Jonesy shouted out. “WE DID IT…!” and the entire building echoed with cheers and applause. Nikki and Jen hugged, and then I hugged them too, not caring that my fingers still hurt.
The Bowling Bros were now the new league champions…!