Absolute Boyfriend Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Cry Anymore ❯ Don't Cry Anymore ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Zettai Kareshi (Absolute Boyfriend). This story is purely fanwork. (Though I sure wish I could write and draw like Yuu Watase-san. T__T).
 
WARNING~SPOILERS!: After this sentence, this fanfiction contains spoilers for the manga Zettai Kareshi, read on at your own discretion, as it contains spoilers of the last chapter.
 
Author's Note: I wrote this because I was so touched, and saddened by this wonderful series. This is basically a retell of the last chapter, the final act: “Forever Boyfriend.”As my first story, I wrote this as a mementoof Night.Also, this turned out waylonger than I thought it would be. However, I thought it turned out pretty well. Oh, and the Epilogue is not from the original plotline, it was my own creation. I hope you enjoy it!
 
 
“Tenjou! Tenjo! TENJO NIGHT! WAKE UP!”
The teacher screeched at the softly sleeping man, with his body draped over the desk. He was snoring quietly, with his masculine features relaxed. Which infuriated the teacher even more. Why wouldn't he wake up? “Izawa! Wake him up! For God's sake! How many time must I call him!?!”
 
“Night? Night?” Riiko whispered, concern covering her features, as she gently poked her snoozing boyfriend. “Senshi-san's getting angry………” Realizing poking was futile, she pushed him, and stretched his face, hoping the pain would wake him up. “Night? Night? C'mon. …..”
 
“Hey, what's up with Tenjo?” Miyabe asked Riiko, “He's been sleeping a lot lately…”
“You're right, Miyabe, well, thank goodness his grades aren't affected.” Riiko replied, rubbing her head. She sighed. But is does take him awhile to wake up each morning…which is really weird, considering he's a figure, and sleep isn't necessary I wonder what's wrong
 
Night bounced the ball as he ran down the court. Even half asleep he still managed to score goal after goal. “Ugh. Tenjo scored again.” The guys complained “I sure wish Soushi were here. He was the only one who could compete with Tenjo.” Riiko heard the boys talking as she walked pass them during gym class. Soushi's been in Spain a month, and although it's lonely, there's nothing I can do about it… Riiko's thoughts were interrupted as she heard the boys' yells of amazement.
“Wow! Tenjo's scored again! …”
When everyone noticed that he hadn't come down with the bright orange ball, they looked at the net, and realized Night was asleep, holding onto the basket.
“…. He's sleeping right there. ….The basket is going to break off…”
 
“Night, are you alright?” Riiko asked, worried, as she and Night were sitting down to dinner back at her apartment. Night gave her a sheepish smile. “Don't worry, Riiko, it's nothing. I'm just a little bit sleepier, than usual, is all…..” Night said, as he picked up his chopsticks, and began to eat the meal Riiko prepared for them. “Wow! Your cooking skills have really gotten better!” He grinned “Well, I am a great teacher, after all!”
“Wha-at?” Riiko exclaimed “No, it's because of me!” she felt a flush creep over her face.
 
As Night and Riiko were eating dinner, two people stood on the roof of the building. “So, Namikiri…..how's “01” coming along?” asked Gaku's boss.
“Oh! Not bad….” answered Gaku. His boss smiled. “Even though so many things have happened, we can rest now. Besides, I have other things to sell….so I don't need to follow “01” anymore. However, next time, you'll be coming, by yourself. Understand?” Gaku sighed. “Yeah, yeah, alright….” He was relieved. Gaku had suspicions of his own to confirm, anyway…
 
“Riiko! Come with me!” Night exclaimed jubilantly, as he tugged her along, their hands intertwined. “Riiko, do you remember?”
“Hm?”
“This is where we went on our first date!” Suddenly Riiko remembered. “Oh, yeah!”
Night smiled “I knew you would remember!”. Riiko looked around her. I was really heartbroken back then, she thought, as she and Night walked through the mall, shopping, and taking pictures. And Night was like this, holding my hand, as we walked down the street. But my feelings are very different now. I'm very fortunate…
 
The arrived in the food court, and sat down with their food, when Night suddenly said “Riiko, please excuse me…” Riiko smiled. “Okay!” she replied. When he left, she smiled again, as she looked at the ring on her left hand, resting on her fourth finger, glittering in the light. It was the duplicate of the one Night was wearing now.
 
Gaku sat on a beam close to the ceiling of the mall, above the food court where Riiko now sat alone. His eyes closed, he licked his ice-cream cone, contemplating. Even though this is work, I feel weird…maybe I should get a girlfriend too… His thoughts were interrupted when a sudden poke on the back of his head caused him to almost fall off the beam, planting his face straight into his ice-cream. “Whoa!” He yelped, as he turned around to look at the owner of the finger that so rudely forced ice-cream upon his now sticky face. “It must be tough for you to observe me all the time, Namikiri Gaku.” Night said, with a smile “Curse you.” growled Gaku “What's the big deal?”
“Gaku-san, you shouldn't work all the time, you should go get a girlfriend!”
“Jerk!” Gaku yelled “I don't wanna hear it. You don't have the right to judge me! Oh, and why did you come to see my, anyway?” He asked.
“Well, actually, I need your help for something…” Night said, as he gave Gaku a sad smile.
 
“'Kay, Night, I'm going out now.” Riiko said, as she looked at Night, lying on the couch, with his left hand resting on the top of his perfect head. When all Night said in reply was “Mmhm.”, Riiko was surprised, “Night, what's wrong? Are you going to sleep again? It's only 5.” Once again, she got a monotone reply . “Mm..” As he said it, her attention was drawn towards Night's hand. Eh? She thought, as she noticed that his ring, the exact duplicate of hers, was not on his finger. The ring…is it in the room? Night didn't wear it yesterday either…Her attention refocused back to Night, when he mumbled almost incoherently
“Ah, I'm….really…tired…” Riiko smiled at Night, though his eyes were closed “Okay then, go ahead and sleep for awhile. I'll be right back.” As she turned to leave, a soft, warm hand gripped hers tightly. “Riiko” Night said, his eyes, now open, stared directly into hers. He had a slight smile on his face. “I love you, forever.”
Riiko blushed, the soft pink creeping over her cheeks. She smiled. “Mm.” she said softly, as she leaned in and kissed her boyfriend. “Me too…” Night smiled, and closed his eyes, a peaceful look covering his face. Riiko smiled, and brushed a few stray strands of hair off Night's face, walked away, and took one last glance at her boyfriend, sleeping soundly, on the couch.
 
As Riiko walked away from the store, the nasal voice of the shop's owner drifted through the air “Come back soon!”, as she held the bag filled with the food she just bought. Fresh dessert! She thought I'll share it with Night.
 
As she headed back to her apartment, Riiko noticed a letter had arrived for her. “Oh!” She exclaimed, a jubilant smile covering her face “A letter from Soushi!” As she came into the room, she took off her fuzzy slippers “Night! I'm back! Are you awake? I just got a le-“ She stopped short as she saw a man, with a strange mark under his eye, talking on his cellphone. When he saw her come in, Gaku turned off the phone, a sad look on his face. He was kneeling beside a body, wrapped in plastic. “Gaku….san?” Riiko said, her eyes wide “Night?” she blurted, when she saw that the body covered in plastic was Night. She ran over to him. “Wait a second! Are you trying to steal him away again?”
“Riiko.”
Riiko leaned over Night. “Night wake up!” Riiko yelled “Hurry! How long are you going to sleep for? Get up…” She ripped off the plastic. The face she saw was definitely Night's. He wore a peaceful smile, his hair framing his face. “Night…?”
“Riiko.” said Gaku. But Riiko interrupted him before he could say anything else. “Stop it. You're so lazy, lately, you've been sleeping all the time! Hey! Night!”
Gaku interrupted her “Night isn't going to wake up! Riiko!” Gaku said “Night…won't wake up again.”
Riiko paled “W-What?”
“He's not going to open his…eyes...”
Riiko said softly, venom dripping from her words “What did you say?”
She started yelling “You're lying! Tell the truth!” She gripped Gaku's arms, her nails digging into his skin. “Night recovered! He was healthy! What happened? What the hell did you do to him?!?”
Gaku looked down, his voice soft in comparison with Riiko's earlier yelling. “All of his inside machinery stopped working. You have to understand.” He said “Toy figures aren't meant to stay forever. They're just a piece of merchandise. They have a limit, similar to a person's life. The moment Night became your real lover, his hardware changed. Though he looks the same on the outside…..in truth, it's only because the company helped him charge up.”
Riiko's eyes were wide; tears began to build up, like the water in a dam.
Gaku kept talking “Night's last breath is used up… in his life as a lover. Night knew about the time limit on his life…but he didn't want to tell you.” As Gaku said those last words, Riiko crouched over Night, and put her head on his chest, listening intently. What she wished for did not come. His heartbeat…stopped. Riiko thought. She gently put her hand on his. So…cold. His hand was so warm, just before I left. It's just like…when he was first sent to me.
Shock and sudden realization covered her features, as she leaned over Night, and suddenly kissed his cold, lifeless lips. Surprise flashed on Gaku's face, as Riiko exclaimed “Night! Get up!” Concern covered in her face. She bent down, and kissed him once more, willing in her head for him to suddenly rise from the ground, smile his gorgeous smile, and tell her that he was okay. This will start him up, she thought, as memories of Night flashed like a slideshow, through her mind. It made him get up before. Night! She pleaded in her head; the words seemed to echo through the entity of her brain. She swore he could hear it. Get up! Now! Gaku looked on, with pity shadowing his visage, as he watched Riiko kiss him once more. “Night! I told you to get up!” Riiko yelled. As she kissed him, her tears overflowed, falling like rain, down her cheeks, Get up… as she pulled her lips away, her tears landed on Night's face. “Night…get…up…” Tears streamed down her face, and she took a deep breath “YOU GET UP!!” she screamed, her bereaved plea echoing through the city, her tears flooding her face, her expression a sea of sorrow. She clutched him as she cried, her tears soaking his clothes. She cried, and cried, as more thoughts of Night crowded her head. One last memory stood out, like a light in the dark.
Hi!” she saw Night, sitting before her, naked, with a huge grin on his beautiful face. “Please look after me, girlfriend.”
Night never woke up again.
 
The city was quiet, as Christmas lights gleamed on the trees like fireflies, and a few stray leaves floated through the air. Riiko sat against her couch, staring at a picture.
Later, Night was taken away, by Kronos Heaven.
“Night…” she whispered, as she stared at the picture in her hands. Night had his arm around her, as he smiled, and Riiko grinned as she held the camera before them.
Gaku-san helped me talk to the company, and ask them to keep Night in one piece, lying inside the company.
Memories came back to her, as she saw she and Gaku, standing together. “One day, though we don't know when…” he said quietly “We think Night might wake up. We're working on it, though we're not sure how long it'll take…” Pain was on Riiko's face.
Night's ring…she thought. I never…found it again.
 
Cherry blossoms filled the air. “Bye, Riiko!” shouted Riiko's friends, as they waved goodbye. “See you later!”
Riiko walked down the street, alone. Suddenly, a familiar voice shouted. “Hey! Miss! Would you like some takoyaki?” Riiko turned around, and ran up to the man, “G-G-Gaku-san?!?” she squawked “What are you doing here? I didn't recognize you!”
“It's been awhile!” He said “Can't you see? I'm selling takoyaki! Well, I actually wanted to quit before. C'mon! Try some! I swear it's good!” Riiko froze, suspicion and surprise plastered over her face like a “I can't believe he just said that” sign. “What kind of reaction is that?” Gaku narrowed his eyes “I'm going to make you pay next time!”. Riiko picked one up and put it in her mouth. “How is it?” He asked.
Riiko smiled. “It's really good!” she said. “There's the smile!” Gaku exclaimed, grinning. “I've been watching you for a long time.” Riiko looked down, suddenly sober “Ever since Night left, I've been thinking, and I finally realized…when Night wakes up, I might be an old woman, maybe even an old grandma.” Riiko said, now looking towards the azure sky. ”And if I'm depressed, and scowl all the time, Night will feel really bad, and he'll blame himself. I've finally thought it over…really…”
She smiled and waved goodbye to Gaku as she walked away.
 
Riiko walked down the street. Night…Night…you are mine forever…she thought. In her head she saw Night standing before her, smiling. She lifted up her left hand, and looked at her ring, gleaming in the sun. Beyond her hand, she saw a familiar shadowed figure. “Riiko?!” The person asked. Riiko's eyes widened. Ni…she let her hand fall, as the person came into clear view.
“Sou…shi?” she asked “Why are you in Japan? Why aren't you in Spain?” As she said the final words, Soushi took a few steps, and took Riiko into his arms. He held her tightly. “I received a letter and a ring from Tenjo.” He said. He reached into his pocket, and pulled out a heart shaped ring, with a cross in the middle. Night's ring. Night's letter…over half a year…why…Soushi held the ring delicately in his hand, as though he were afraid it would shatter any moment.
Gaku watched from around the corner.
“So…I came back right away. I'll read his letter to you.” Soushi said “To Soushi, said the letter “I've asked Gaku-san to send this letter and ring when Riiko calms down. When you receive this letter, I won't be here anymore, so everything is counting on you.” Tears built up in Riiko's eyes.
I just want you to help me say something to Riiko.” She saw Night smiling at her. It almost seemed like Soushi's words were coming out of his mouth.
Don't cry anymore.”
The tears flowed down her cheeks. Anguish coursed through her body. Night…
“Riiko…” Soushi said “Tenjo, he…” Riiko clutched her hands. “Night…” she said, tears still streaming down her cheeks “He…told me to laugh…” Soushi hugged her. Night…she thought …sorry I made you worry…
Thank you…
 
Back at Riiko's apartment, a scream filled the air “Wha-a-at?” Riiko yelled, in disbelief “Does that mean you're staying in Japan? You're not returning to Spain?” Soushi sighed “I have to stay with you.”
Really…Riiko thought, as she smiled.
 
As Riiko sat by the window, she closed the box containing the matching pair of rings she and Night had worn.
“Wow!” she exclaimed “The clouds are really pretty.”
Night…she thought. She smiled as she shaded her eyes and stared out the window. You will always be my first man…
 
My Zettai Kareshi.
 
 
Epilogue
 
Night walked around the corner. He looked left, then right. Where….could it be? As he spotted his destination, he thought…Ah…there it is…As he walked by the house, he saw a beautiful old lady, surrounded by her grandchildren. She was smiling and laughing. It looked like she was telling a story. “C'mon, Gramma! Tell us more!” they pleaded. She just smiled.
 
Riiko laughed as her grandchildren asked over and over “So…what happened next, Gramma?” “Yeah, what next?” She smiled. They chatter like little birds, for heaven's sake! She thought She was about to continue her story, when something, or…someone? caught her eye. A man stood by the phone pole, his perfectly shaped young body leaning on the cement beam. Something seemed familiar about him…It seemed as though they made eye contact, then he turned his face away, and walked on. Riiko shook her head. No… “All right then…” she said, a mischievous smile on her face “this is what happened…”
She knew it wasn't him. It couldn't be.
 
Night smiled. He turned his head away, and then he walked down the street, his legs taking long strides, toward his destination, unknown even to him. He was glad he was able to see her one last time. His love. The only one he lived for. Riiko was able to move on. She didn't have to cry anymore. She had a husband, children, and grandchildren to love and support her. He knew she led a wonderful life, even if he didn't get to see it. A single tear stained the ground.
He was happy.