Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of Two Wallets ❯ Breaking the Ice ( Chapter 14 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A Tale of Two Wallets

(An Altered Destiny)

Written by Jim Robert Bader

Proofread by Shiva Barnwell

Nabiki's Journal Resumes:

I should have known that everything was a little too quiet today when I got off from school early and decided to head home without waiting for Ranma to escort me. Apparently somebody was waiting for just such an opportunity because when I was almost halfway to home I had an experience that I'm likely to always remember.

It was amazing, really. One minute everything is peaceful and quiet in the suburbs I know like the back of my hand, and all of a sudden a wall explodes to my left side, and as I feel my heart jumping into my mouth as I leap back and see a familiar form take shape from the dust and rubble. I all but swallowed my own tongue as I stepped back in dismay, her name on my lips as I wordlessly voiced it, thinking I'm about to die at any given moment.

"Nihao," Shampoo said softly as she eyed me levelly, smiling like her cat cornering a mouse.

I finally managed to stammer out, "Sh-Shampoo? What are you…?"

"Shampoo back in Japan," the Amazon said as she casually stepped beyond the rubble that she had created. There was no sign of her bonbouri, but I had a hunch that they could appear in her hands at any second. Instead she just purred the words, "Sneaky girl miss Shampoo? She no miss Sneaky girl…much."

A glance to either side showed me that there was not a soul within a hundred meters, and crying out would do no good, nor would attempting to make a run for it. Shampoo was two paces from me and would need even less than that to finish me in a half second. Instead I grasped for the straw of hope in that she did not immediately attack, so I tried the diplomatic tact, "What do you want?"

"Many things Shampoo think of," she said, and suddenly she was right in front of me, meeting my gaze levelly as I tried to put on my best poker face, an effect no doubt spoiled by my profuse sweating, "Like maybe Sneaky girl's head on pike? Shampoo no decided yet, maybe you convince her?"

I took a deep breath to calm myself down. This girl was pure dynamite and if I set her off she could hurt me in ways I'd rather not imagine. Instead I said as calmly as I could manage, "It's nice to see you again…really."

"Shampoo might say same," the purple haired Amazon inclined her head, "But she lie if she say this. You look pale for Japanese woman. You getting enough sleep at night?"

I debated the wisdom of just coming out and asking what she wanted, but since she was intent on playing cat-and-mouse I decided to play along and said, "I'm managing to get by. Thank you for asking."

"You welcome," she smiled, "You take good care of Shampoo cat? Is very rare species. Shampoo be very upset if she no find cat well cared for."

I felt some confidence returning at this point and said, "I've treated her just fine. She's a very nice animal, very intelligent, and I'd say she's had pretty good training."

"She Siberian Mountain Cat," Shampoo replied, "Very rare, almost last of kind. In days of great Emperor such cats were kept as pets to royalty, bred for intelligence, can be trained to perform tricks. You no have trouble keeping her in you house?"

"Daddy's let me keep her in my room" I replied, "But Ranma…well…"

Shampoo inclined her head, "What about Shampoo Airen? You keep him in room with you?"

"No, I…" I suddenly gulped, wanting to laugh out loud at the image but for the mental image of a crushed windpipe if I gave her the impression that I was laughing at her, "Ranma has an acute fear of cats…he can't stand the sight of them, and it's all the fault of his father."

"He no like Shampoo cat?" she seemed much less surprised at this news that I would have imagined, but there was no mistaking her concern as well, "Why that?"

I could not keep the exasperation from my tone as I replied, "One of his father's stupid training exercises. He tossed Ranma into a pit of starving cats when wrapped in fish sausages…"

"Oh," Shampoo nodded, then spoke a few words in Mandarin Chinese, which I obviously could not interpret, "What you call Nekoken…is very powerful Amazon secret, no teach in many generations. How you know about this? Japanese no Amazons."

"It was in this book of Saotome Ryu training exercises," I explained, "I don't know who wrote it, I just know that Ranma freaks out at the mere sight of Sham-chan…"

"Sham-chan?" she inclined her head with a curious expression.

I carefully explained to her the meaning of the words, and why I'd chosen to name her pet that way, then I asked her what name the cat really bore, to which Shampoo just smiled and said, "Sham-chan good name. You use for now, but Shampoo name in Chinese translate as 'Princess.' Oujo-sama…"

"Princess," I replied, and somehow the word fit my pet very well. I resolved to learn the Chinese word to see if Sham-chan responded to it better than the name I had given.

"Now," Shampoo's tone became more firm, "You tell Shampoo where you go in such hurry, and why you no with Airen?"

"Ranma?" I swallowed, "He'll be along in a few minutes. Ah…I guess you'll want to see him…"

"Very much," Shampoo replied, "But in own good time. Now Shampoo in town she have place she stay, she come visit you home when she ready. You take care of Shampoo cat…Sham-chan you call her…until she come to reclaim her."

"Ah…where are you staying, by the way?" I asked nervously and she favored me with a lazy smile that made me worry that I might have pushed things too far there.

"Shampoo have restaurant she work at," Shampoo replied, "You find in day helping Great Grandmother, the Elder."

"An Elder?" now I really did feel my fear factor climbing exponentially. Elders were said to be very powerful and well trained in the Amazonian arts. If one of them had come with Shampoo, even a senior citizen well past ready to retire, it meant that there was someone in Nerima whose absolute authority Shampoo would obey without question.

Shampoo smiled and started to walk past me when, on impulse, I said, "Shampoo…about what happened when you were here last."

She turned her head slightly to look at me out of the corner of her eye as though contemplating a bug she could splatter in one second. She did not say anything right then but her whole attitude was an invitation for me to continue.

"I'm…sorry," I replied awkwardly, finding the words difficult as I bowed to her and said, "Gomen nasai. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings, it was thoughtless and cruel of me…"

"Yes," Shampoo replied without tone or emotion, "You and stupid rose girl trick Shampoo, she very angry. Shampoo decide you maybe be punished, then decide maybe you no worth punishing. Shampoo decide maybe you need lesson not repeat mistake again."

"Lesson?" I swallowed, afraid to ask for an elaboration.

To my growing unease Shampoo turned to me, and now her expression was very cat-like as she regarded me with a hungry expression in her reddish-brown eyes, "You learn respect Shampoo. Sneaky girl think she very clever, she make Shampoo very foolish. Much anger Shampoo feel, so she tell Elder all about you…everything. Elder very interested in meeting Sneaky girl, will meet when ready, decide if you worthy."

"Worthy?" I now felt thoroughly confused, "Of what?"

"Of whether you worth training in potential," Shampoo replied, "You best Amazon, you outsider, should die for crime. Shampoo decide no be merciful like this, she think you need learn lesson hard way, so she tell Elder you Lore Master."

"Lore Master?" I blinked, remembering our discussion from over a month ago when I'd first heard Shampoo speaking about this.

My discomfort was complete as I saw Shampoo smile in a calculated manner that was in no way lightened when she said, "You learn. Then Shampoo satisfied. If Elder like you, then that all revenge Shampoo ever need."

"Revenge?" I gulped then dared to ask, "How so?"

"You learn," Shampoo chuckled in a really nasty way that left me shaking from within, "You impress Elder, then Shampoo make peace with sneaky girl. You no like if Elder no like you," she added with a truly evil hint in her tone before turning and walking away from me, leaving me confused and trembling in my sandals.

I took a second glance at the hole that was where a wall had been standing a moment ago. It was over a foot thick yet somehow Shampoo had shattered the thing barehanded. I didn't think even Ranma could accomplish this on his own, so I got out of there as fast as I could run. I decided against heading for the dojo, though, as another destination occurred to me, one that was even closer than home, and there was someone I needed to contact in a hurry.

A few minutes after announcing myself I was sitting across from Kuno Kodachi in her main living room. The Black rose had only just gotten home herself and had not yet had time to change out of her school uniform as she received the news with great concern on her part.

"Shampoo is back in town you say?" Kodachi responded with a pretense of disinterest, "And she has brought one of her village elders with her?"

I nodded, "She told me herself not five minutes ago, after she created a new gate for one of the neighbors."

"And of course you thought of informing me at once," Kodachi looked at me with an odd expression, and I think she was genuinely touched by the gesture, "I thank you. Such a warning is not only timely but prudent. There is no telling what that hussy might be up to, and if memory serves right she was not very happy with either one of us, and rather intent on claiming my Ranma-sama."

It's strange to admit that I didn't resent her trying to once more lay claim upon Ranma. One of the really odd results of us having to work together before against Shampoo was that Kodachi and I had emerged good friends from the experience. She knew that I had, in effect, saved her life, and that if Ranma and I had not convinced Shampoo to desist she might well have killed us both with very little effort. Kodachi had not been able to express her gratitude in words when she recovered, but I noticed a lightening of tension between us, and from that moment onward we had found it very easy to behave in a civil manner around one another.

Ranma still did not want anything to do with her, of course, but that made it easier for me to accept Kodachi's occasional attempts at courtship as the efforts of a lonely girl with a crush rather than a serious challenge to my claims upon Ranma. Kodachi had visited our house a number of times and was usually greeted warmly by my sister, Kasumi. Kodachi and Kasumi had hit it off from the moment they first met and had ever since spent a lot of time together going shopping. I suspect Kodachi finds Kasumi's motherly ways appealing, having lost her mother when she was very young, and not having had much parental love to begin with.

At any rate I told Kodachi about everything that had happened since the arrival of Sham-chan. She was most interested in my having accepted a challenge from the Golden Pair of Kolhotz High school, but understanding my desire to defend the honor of my House she adapted quickly to this news, then surprised me with an insightful comment, "And you expect to compete with them knowing as little as you do about fighting?"

I had to look down at my feet over that before I could reply, "I guess when you put it like that it does sound a little…insane…"

"Not at all," Kodachi replied, "But I am surprised that a clever girl like you would let herself be cornered so easily by a certified loon like Shiratori Azusa."

I looked up at that with some surprise. If Kodachi thought Azusa was over the top, then that really was a statement!

Kodachi fanned herself with a thoughtful expression, then looked at me and said, "Do you at least have some notion of what you are getting yourself into?"

I nodded, so Kodachi smiled as she continued, "And if you lose the match then Azusa will claim the cat as her prize, and that will make Shampoo most angry. I take it you do not wish to be on the receiving end of her displeasure?"

"Was that a trick question?" I asked, "Kodachi…we're talking about a girl who doesn't even grasp the concept of a door handle! If she wants to get somewhere, and there's a brick wall in her way, then she'll make an exit. How long do you think I'd stand up against that?"

"Somewhat less than the duration that I would endure, I suspect," Kodachi said with surprising honesty, "So for the moment I suppose the safest course would be not to upset her. That means you are going to have to learn to fight on skates and somehow keep up with my Ranma-sama. You say the poor boy is not a very good skater?"

I sighed, "To put it mildly, it's the first thing I've ever seen that he wasn't automatically good at."

"Everyone has a weakness," Kodachi sighed, "I understand my idiot brother tried exploiting what he thought was a weak area for sweet Ranma…and the results were not what he intended."

I nodded and explained to her about the Nekoken. I was oddly gratified to note that Kodachi shared my opinion on the paternal qualities of Saotome Genma.

"The very idea!" she snarled, "Tossing my Ranma into a pit of hungry animals…no wonder he is so traumatized, and yet when he gets angry enough he reverts to becoming a cat himself? How very interesting…I wonder if that applies to the full range of his instincts?"

I did feel a bit of annoyance at her line of reasoning there, but then I remembered him nuzzling me and I immediately colored.

"Well then," she sighed, "To return to the subject, what do you intend to do about this challenge you face from the Golden Pair over your Sham-chan?"

I looked at her with a nervous smile and said, "I don't suppose you could recommend the services of a good lawyer?"

"I could at that," Kodachi replied, "But I think the problem is more fundamental. Ranma-sama is a superb fighter on level ground, but he needs to master skating. You, on the other hand, are pathetic in a fight but at least know how to skate. Perhaps we should find a suitable middle ground between your skill levels. How adequate are your reflexes?"

I did not understand the question, so I asked her for a clarification. She smiled at me and said, "Perhaps I should rephrase the question: How far are you willing to go to not embarrass yourself and Ranma?"

At this I had to acknowledge that I was prepared to go as far as necessary, so Kodachi grinned at me and said, "I'd like to test that theory."

Don't ask me how I got talked into it, but several minutes later we stood inside the Kuno family gym-which was much larger than the entire Furinkan gymnasium-and I was wearing one of Kodachi's leotards. I have to admit I felt very uncomfortable at that point, and not just because the material felt tighter on me than I'm sure it was on her body. I'm a year older and a bit taller than Kodachi, but we're close to the same bust size and width about the hips so I could make the adjustment. I felt very awkward and foolish in standing around the center of the gym in my bare feet while Kodachi took her place across from me and smiled in a way that said that she was going to enjoy this.

"The trick in any martial art is to never be where your opponent expects you," Kodachi explained as she produced her trademark ribbon, "You must learn to sense and bend with an attack so that it does not strike you. As we lack the time for less desperate measures, we are going to have to teach you the hard way, which is exactly how I learned from my mother."

That was the point where I really started to worry. Kodachi's mother had been a certified nut case who took her own life at the end after abusive mistreatment of both of her children. Kodachi very rarely even mentioned her, which was a warning to me of how serious she was at that precise moment. I might have backed out there and then but the thought of Shampoo pounding me flat was enough to hold me silent. So I stood watching Kodachi expecting to hear her ramble on about the purposes of good balance…instead that damned ribbon came whipping out at me, and the next thing I know I'm rubbing my arm and dancing on one leg using language that would have definitely earned me a stern look from Kasumi.

To put it mildly I learned very quickly to keep out of reach of that ribbon. Kodachi was only toying with me, thank the Kami, or could have very easily sliced me in half with zero effort. Instead I began to listen to the hiss the thing made before it could reach me, then I bent my body and pivoted along my center of balance, rotating my hips and gyrating in such a manner that I could twist out of the way just a half second before it would strike me.

One hour later I'm feeling welts all over my skin and the leotard is sliced in several places. I was bleeding from a few cuts but for the most part I was in one piece and feeling enormously exhausted. Kodachi-not so surprisingly-seemed enormously pleased with herself and complimented me on my quick learning of the basics of dodging. She even said that I did have some raw talent for Rhythmic Gymnastics, but I chalk that up to my early education in Kempo. I'd always been in pretty good shape, just not as over developed as Akane.

"Now then," she smiled at me, "Do you think you can move like that while wearing ice skates?"

"I think I could give it a try," I said, ready to keel over with exhaustion, too numb to remain upright, let alone walk home, so Kodachi graciously called me a cab and paid the fair, saying we would resume training the next day. As I came home contemplating this horrible impending fate I found out that Ranma was at the Sporting Arena with Ryoga and Akane. Kasumi told me that they were training and wanted to know if I would be joining them, to which I had to decline as a hot bath and my bed held much greater appeal than any further humiliation.

Thank the Kami my sister did not check up on me or ask any questions about the cuts and bruises I was sporting, which were more visible in the tub as I soaked naked, wincing slightly at the heat that soaked my numerous injuries. I was beginning to believe I had made an enormous mistake in coming to Kodachi, but now that I was committed I resolved to see it through, even knowing the pleasure she is going to take in humiliating me like this on a regular basis.

So now here I am looking at impending disaster that is looming in another three days, and with Ranma having to train without me I feel more than slightly depressed. We managed to talk a little around dinner where I explained that I was getting balance lessons from a friend, and he responded that he would be glad to teach me about balance, but I had to counter with the remark that his own balance needed work if he were going to learn to stand up better on ice skates.

Baka! The minute I said that I saw his hurt, so it looks like I really have picked up his bad habit of saying what is on his mind without thinking. Or maybe I was just too tired to come up with a less sarcastic retort, either way I feel like…

"Meow!"

Nabiki glanced down from her monitor screed to see the cat staring at her with what could almost be termed as an expression of concern. Her tail twitched slightly, but it conveyed more of a mood of worry and agitation, and Nabiki had no trouble at all interpreting that to mean concern for its mistress.

"Oh, you think maybe I'm being too hard on myself?" Nabiki asked rhetorically, though in truth she did not expect a reply.

To her surprise the cat attempted to get up on its hind legs and laid its forward paws on the chair, looking up at Nabiki with a soulful expression, like a friend wanting to offer her consolation.

Nabiki could not resist reaching down to pick the animal up into her lap and began to immediately rub and scratch in all of the cat's favorite places. The purr of contentment that Sham-chan radiated was like a motor that had been started on a happiness machine, and Nabiki felt herself reaching out to the animal with all of her heart, as if it were the most natural thing in the world to bond with this cat and return in kind her affection.

"You really are something, you know that," Nabiki smiled, finding her fatigue and depression lightening as Sham-chan rubbed her head against Nabiki's chest and abdomen, "I guess you're right, the only thing to do is shut everything down and get a good nights rest. I'll probably be able to think with a clearer head in the morning anyway."

She saved the document without finishing her remark, then powered down one-handed while Sham-chan watched everything she did with a very attentive expression…at least for a cat that is. Then Nabiki stood up and took a step towards the bed, only to hesitate as a new thought occurred to her.

A lazy smile crossed her lips as she looked down at the animal in her arms, stroked Sham-chan under the chin and said, "I wonder…do you think Ranma-kun might be close by taking his usual vigil? What say we find out."

So saying Nabiki turned and walked up to the window then pried it open with one hand, tucking Shan-chan under her arm as she poked her head outside and said, "Nihao!"

"Gah!" Ranma gasped as he stood up and whirled around, having been in full lotus about two meters away from her window, "Nabiki, don't do that! You sca-surprised me…"

"Sorry, Ranma," Nabiki put on her best cute-girl expression and said, "I wanted to apologize for what I said earlier…about your balance, I mean. It was thoughtless on my part, and I hope you can forgive me?"

"Oh…" Ranma said, seeming to relax a little, though for some reason he was staring at Nabiki as though her face were something he could not look away from, "Uh…no problem…and you were right. I guess I just never got the hang of skating before. I'm used to the ground remaining still when I stand up on it…"

"Ranma," Nabiki mused, "You can walk along a fence, stand motionless on a bamboo pole and even hold yourself up on one hand…how can a little thing like skating give you such a problem? Isn't there some kind of training thingie you can do, some kata your father knows or something…"

"Ah…y'know, I never thought of that," Ranma smiled, "Pop may have more than his share of faults, but he usually knows how to improve weak areas in my training. I'll go ask him in the morning."

"You do that," Nabiki smiled, "I'll be a little late getting home from school, but I'll meet you at the sporting arena later and we can work out on our practice as a mixed couple."

Ranma nodded, then blinked, "Couple…uh…I, ah…"

"Never mind," Nabiki grinned, "Want to give me a good night kiss…for luck, that is?"

The sound of Ranma's gulping could have been heard throughout the house, "K-Kiss…?"

"Of course," Nabiki's smile grew more sultry, "Unless you still lack the guts, that is."

"Hey!" Ranma protested, "I've got the guts! It's just…well…your father might be watching…"

"So?" Nabiki asked, "I'd rather be kissing you anytime, no offense to Daddy."

Ranma clearly hesitated, thinking it over, so Nabiki made a pout and said, "Just like I thought, no guts. I guess you really don't like me very much if you can't even kiss your own iinazuke…"

"Why you…" Ranma took a step forward, hesitated, then forced himself to move forward again, "All right, I'll do it…but only because you challenged me. I mean…Not that I don't want to kiss you, I…just…uh…" he got down on his knees, facing her as whatever he was about to say drifted out of his mind as she looked up at him with a hopeful expression.

For a moment nothing happened and Nabiki started to worry that he might chicken out once again, but then Ranma moved forward, bringing his face closer to hers, only to hesitate again. Nabiki held her breath and thought, "He's really doing to do it this time!" and waited to see if her fondest wish were about to happen.

And then a furry head poked up between them and Sham-chan said, "Meow?"

"GAAAHH!" Ranma cried as he leaped back, having been nose-to-muzzle with the animal for all of one tenth of a second.

"Honestly," Nabiki sighed with disappointment, "You've really got to get over this phobia of yours, Ranma. Afraid of a little kitty like Sham-chan."

"Meow?" the Cat said, looking almost sad as it saw the fear in Ranma's expression.

"Ah…never mind," Ranma looked away, making a supreme effort to steady himself against the urge to run in a blind panic, "I'll…look…we'll talk about this another time, I…"

Nabiki picked up Sham-chan and placed her inside her room, reached down with a smile then pulled upward and said, "Ranma…it's all right, you can look now. She's gone, there's only me, so you don't have to be afraid. Look at me, Saotome."

Ranma managed to calm himself then slowly turned to look, seeing Nabiki's smiling face, which started to relax him…until his eyes drifted downward. His expression became one of abject astonishment as he stared at her now-naked chest as had Nabiki bared her upper body to full view, breasts fully displayed in all their naked glory. Ranma's mouth fell open and he stared to take a step forward, only with less than his usual preternatural catlike balance.

"WHHOOOAAAH!" he cried as his arms windmilled and then he staggered back, falling off the roof, and a moment later there came a loud splash as he managed somehow to once again fall into the koi pond.

Nabiki could not stop laughing as she closed her window and turned to pick up Sham-chan, not even bothering to put her top back on as she fell back on her bed, rubbing the cat's fur with enthusiasm as she remarked, "I've still got it!"

"Meow?" the cat inquired as she nestled between the soft valley of her Mistress's bosoms, a sensation Nabiki was coming to enjoy as the soft car-fur made her naked skin feel taunt with electricity.

"You think that was cruel?" Nabiki asked, "It probably was…but it serves that baka right for not kissing me when I want him to. Besides, if I can't have him in my bed, I can at least have the pleasure of knowing he'll be thinking of me for the remainder of the night…assuming he gets any sleep at all, that is."

Nabiki wondered if it were her imagination or was it possible for a cat to snicker? Sham-chan did give a very convincing impression of just that sort of behavior…

A stunned Ranma-chan was staring up from the koi pond, waist-deep in her hated enemy and drawing the curious attention of the carp, who were by now quite use to these nocturnal visitations. Meanwhile from the shadows of the house two men detached themselves and exchanged worried looks…or rather make that one man and a very large panda.

"They do seem to be getting along," Soun remarked, "And there is no question that they are becoming quite fond of each other, but…your son is starting to worry me."

Genma nodded his head in assent.

"I don't mind him taking the initiative," Soun remarked, "In fact I'd be ecstatic if they decide to give us both grandchildren this early on in our lives. But still…don't you think he should have done something with her by now? It's not like my Nabiki to have any doubts about what she desires…but your son would appear to be another matter."

The panda lowered its head in shame. There was no hiding his disappointment. The boy was just too shy around girls, and Nabiki was proving a lot more woman than he could handle.

"If something doesn't happen with those two soon we may need to take drastic action," Soun remarked, then eyed the panda suspiciously, "Or is there something else about the boy you haven't been telling me? He wouldn't be…you don't think…?"

The panda looked up in confusion, then its eyes widened and it vigorously shook its head in denial.

"That's good," Soun said, relaxing somewhat, "Then as long as he has an interest in women, there should be little problem. Nabiki is clever enough that she should have Ranma committed to her by the end of the week, and then we can both relax easy in the knowledge that our children will carry on the Anything Goes tradition."

The panda growled his assent, especially to the unspoken implications of that statement.

"At least…he had better," Soun's expression darkened, "Or drastic measures will need to be taken."

To that the panda agreed completely. His son would behave like a man or else it was up to the fathers to see that their children understood their duties to perpetuate the family lines of Saotome and Tendo. It was a sacred trust, and no deviations would be permitted.

Unbeknownst to both men a pair of wizened eyes narrowed and another shadowy figure smiled. Her great granddaughter was correct in saying that matters were more complicated then imagined. Steps would indeed need to be taken to see that everything proceeded according to her plans, and if these two men tried to interfere…well, that was unfortunate…for them.

But they were only men, after all, and one could hardly blame them for having such a limited grasp of what was truly a bizarre situation. Fortunately for them an Elder was on hand to correct their meddlesome intentions. Nothing could be allowed to stand in the way of Amazon destiny, and the fate awaiting Nabiki Tendo was of such importance that Elder Cologne was prepared to go to extraordinary measures…

Continued

Comments/Criticism/Kolholtz Ticketmaster Hotline: Shadowmane@msn.com