Angel Sanctuary Fan Fiction / Fan Fiction ❯ So It Began ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

So It Began
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Lucifer, who is the property of Kaori Yuki (at least, this Lucifer is). This idea came from an RP I had with Dani Bani kins. ^^ Thanks, Dani! Love ya, babe!
 
 
 
 
 
It happened again.
 
Neptune Goddess, as much as she'd developed physically, was still a bit rash and emotional when it came to her family. Lucifer felt proud classifying himself as her brother, although it had taken him a bit of time and effort on his part to get used to the body he was in as the Demon Lord.
 
He enjoyed his quiet moments with Neptune Goddess the most, the evenings spent studying together on theories of life and love. The young woman couldn't hide her thoughts from Lucifer, much as it frustrated her, and it was always an easy win for Lucifer.
 
He appreciated it that way though, knowing no matter what, Neptune Goddess couldn't hide what she felt. He'd never be connected to anyone in the way he currently was with his sister.
 
It still caused problems when he shielded the fragile body, taking damage that would have been dealt with by his sister, but he didn't let Neptune Goddess' rants bother him. What else was he supposed to do? There was so much worth in protecting that slender form, all his memories he had when they didn't have bodies were entwined with Neptune Goddess' health and happiness. He'd only be dooming himself if he let something happen to her.
 
Jerking himself back to the present, he stared at the scowling face across from him. They sat eye to eye now, Neptune Goddess having grown much stronger in the last three years. Someday, if the girl ate right, he hoped to see her fill out a little bit. It was still a standing order though, he was not allowed under any circumstances to touch Neptune Goddess' husband, who still beat her if she so much as chose the wrong food or enjoyed the wrong taste.
 
Neptune Goddess often preferred to just not eat rather than to cause herself pain by inspiring his wrath. It was beyond his understanding how the woman could live that way, half starving herself for his comfort.
 
But now, now it happened again. Neptune Goddess had once more thrown herself in harm's way to protect Lucifer. It had happened once months ago, when they were first married to each other, after the wedding ceremony had ended. This time though, not realizing what was happening in time, he'd watched as Neptune Goddess flung her body between the two fighters, falling to the ground with a thud as a punch landed. Lucifer had been enraged, fighting back without thought until he felt Neptune Goddess tug on his pants leg, asking him to please stop.
 
Picking up his sister he'd walked away without a backward glance, content to carry her until she'd squirmed and demanded to bet set free.
 
Watching the figure stalk gingerly ahead of him, he made a mental note to assess the wounds on the queen's body when they got back to his chamber. Neptune Goddess had been moving stiffly even before the battle, so he could only conclude that her husband had been after her again.
 
Staring at Neptune Goddess, watching as she raised the cup of hot chocolate to her lips to drink, Lucifer continued with his lecture, hoping to make some impact on the grumpy woman.
 
“Neptune, you know you can't just charge ahead like that. I'm more than capable to handle those situations, just trust me.”
 
Neptune Goddess could feel her scowl deepen.
 
“What the fuck am I supposed to do when you're about to get hit? Ignore it? Stupid brother.”
 
It frustrated her to no end when her brother injured himself on her behalf but wouldn't let her return the favor. Maybe the Demon Lord needed to find a spouse of his own.
 
“You know I can take care of it. Now you're going to let me take care of your wounds, without complaining.”
 
The dynamics over their relationship had changed over the months. Lucifer now felt comfortable enough to give her orders, and while he was glad to see the lightly tanned woman less brow beaten, sometimes it got on Neptune Goddess' nerves when the Demon Lord got demanding. She really didn't want the black haired man prodding around her sore body right now.
 
Especially not today.
 
Her husband had been worse than normal today, becoming angrier quicker than he normally did. She really, really didn't want to deal with Lucifer's displeasure on top of the pain she was already suffering. It was not going to make anything easier if Lucifer knew it hadn't gotten as much better as she'd let him believe.
 
“I'm fine Brother. Let's go get something to eat, I'm hungry.”
 
Watching the frown across Lucifer's face deepen, she knew that distracting him wasn't going to be an easy task. It never was, but one could always hope.
 
“That's not going to work today Sister. Don't make me have to force you.”
 
With those words the now only slightly taller but still much more intimidating man stood and rounded the table.
 
Body tensing, she jumped up and began for the door, praying for a clean escape before her brother saw the many cuts and bruises littering her body. If she could only keep him ignorant for a few hours they would fade, as they always did. She'd gotten much better at hiding her pain from Lucifer. But apparently today was not going to be her lucky day, she decided, feeling the hand grasping her upper arm sharply. Gasping in pain before she could stop it, she damned the fate that made Lucifer's hand land on one of the more tender discolorations.
 
Damn.
 
“Stop fighting me Neptune, I'm only going to take care of you.”
 
Feeling herself being tugged toward the bed, she struggled, pulling her arm sharply and cursing the pains shooting through her muscles at the rough contact.
 
“Brother! I said no!”
 
Pulled tightly to Lucifer's body, held firmly in place as she was pulled to the bed, she sighed in defeat. It was all over. Now she'd have to placate a ticked off Lucifer for the next few hours.
 
“What are you so upset about Sister? I've taken care of your wounds many times before.”
 
Lucifer knew she was hiding something, had known it since the light-haired goddess had walked to him after work that evening. There was just something stiff about the way she moved, the tender way she sat, that Lucifer knew all too well.
 
Grabbing the struggling wrists, he halted them, smirking at the way one of his hands could wrap around both of the fragile limbs at once, with room to spare.
 
Seeing Neptune Goddess blush at her prone position and turn her head to the side, Lucifer started tugging at her cloak, removing the garment with one hand. In silent horror, he stared at the ribbons of purples, dark blues, and light blues that were displayed on Neptune Goddess' collarbone, silently marveling that his sister could still move at all. What had that monster been thinking? An even better question would be, what had he been hitting her with this time? Most of the bruises looked to be deeper than they had been in the past. Was he wrong in thinking things were slightly better for Neptune Goddess at home?
 
Had she been hiding the truth from him?
 
Come to think of it, it had been quite a while since he'd seen Neptune Goddess when she wasn't fully clothed. Was this the reason?
 
“Sister.” The name breathed across his lips, all his pain breaking free in that single sound.
 
“It's okay Brother, it's no big deal. Gaius just had a worse day than usual.”
 
Looking up, he saw the silver eyes clench shut, magenta still flooding Neptune Goddess' features as she tried back away in the more pillows surrounding her.
 
Eyes drifting down to her chest once more, he froze, realizing that some of these bruises were older than others, obviously partially healed.
 
“How long have you been hiding this from me Neptune?” he whispered, watching as Neptune Goddess shuddered, pressing her mouth tightly shut, refusing to answer.
 
“Can you not give me a chance?”
 
Tugging the skirt down slightly with his free hand, he followed a particularly nasty cut around Neptune Goddess' hip. Turning the woman he continued on her back, shock stealing his momentum before he forced it away. Neptune Goddess' back looked worse than her chest! That man would die for the harm he inflicted on his sister.
 
Moving up to the bony shoulders, he pressed his cheek tightly to the trembling frame, wishing he could absorb some of the pain his sister obviously felt on a regular basis. The order tore at his heart, ripping each time he could do nothing to stop this insanity, to end Neptune Goddess' hurt. It was humbling though, to see how Neptune Goddess could still love that man, protect him even, when no one saved her from him.
 
It was time to act.
 
Moving one hand, he reached into the nightstand at the side of his bed and rummaged around quietly, fingers seeking the bottle that had been hidden in there, unused, for many years. Finding the oil, he pulled back slightly, popping the cap and pouring some into Neptune Goddess' arching back. Laying the necessary bottle back on the bed, he trailed his fingers lightly through the liquid, coating them thoroughly and soothing his sister's wounds at the same time.
 
Pulling his hands back slowly, he smiled when he heard Neptune Goddess' grunt of disappointment.
 
“Hush Sister,” he murmured. “It's time. Trust me.”
 
It was time.
 
“Brother,” the breathy sigh whispered through the room.
 
Wrapping his arms tightly around Neptune Goddess' middle he hugged her gently, now remembering how this had started in the first place.
 
“Please be honest with me from now on Neptune. I can't stand the thought of what that creature's doing to you. Will you please trust me to help you?”
 
“Brother,” came the whispered reply, “I love you.”
 
Hoping, needing to keep Neptune Goddess safe, he decided it was time to broach the topic of his sister's living arrangements once more. He sincerely hoped this time he wouldn't be denied.
 
“Would you like to come and live with me Sister? You know you're welcome here and that you would be safe here.”
 
He was completely surprised when Neptune Goddess looked up with complete happiness on her face.
 
“I know you would take care of me Brother. But who would take care of Gaius if I left him there? He's not quite able to take care of himself you know. Who'd help him?” Neptune Goddess questioned quietly.
 
They were back to this again. Neptune Goddess' misguided concern for the man who married her and now beat her mercilessly. How she could still have affection for him was beyond Lucifer. But if there was one thing he learned over their many decades together, it was that Neptune Goddess was all forgiving to those she chose to care for. And apparently her husband fit into that category, not matter how badly he hurt her.
 
“I have no ownership over you Sister. If you live here you'll be free to do as you wish with no fear.”
 
“I can't,” she answered softly, her small voice quavering with the emotions behind it. “I-I can't leave him when he's expecting a child, h-he wants me to bear him a child.”
 
 
 
Things had gone more or less as she'd expected, once they had begun the process of getting her pregnant. It was rapacious and randy but he didn't intentionally hurt her afterwards.
 
It had been nicer than she'd expected, carrying a child. In hindsight, she was really glad she could be a mother. Judging by her husband's temperment, she would certainly have been in for a rough night had it not been a planned pregnancy.
 
It was amazing and scary all at the same time. She was an expectant mother, Gaius the father, Lucifer the uncle. But also, she now had to place her complete trust in Gaius.
 
She would be alone now, with only Gaius by her side to keep her and their baby safe.
 
She braced herself and made her way down the stairs to where Gaius was patiently waiting at the bottom.
 
Here it was.
 
It was time.
 
While kissing him, it still caused her heart to ache that she couldn't physically act out what her mind truly wanted.
 
Focusing her eyes steadfastly on the pavement, she forced her feet to move. One step then another, one foot in front of the other.
 
Feeling Gaius' skin touch hers, she glanced down in surprise to see her hand clenched tightly in his larger, cooler one.
 
All would be well in time.
 
In time for when their baby would arrive.
 
In the gloom of the morning, Neptune Goddess gave birth to a beautiful baby girl in the same hours Lucifer came to slay the husband of his sister. And in the same hour the baby was being tended to by nurses, the Atlantean queen fell dead by her husband's hands, whom Lucifer emotionlessly exterminated, and took his niece in to raise her just the way Neptune Goddess would have.
 
With the love and care of a living soul.