Angel Sanctuary Fan Fiction ❯ Paradise and the Eternal Nightmare ❯ The Peace within the Chaos... ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Angel Sanctuary, although I wish I did. All names, characters, etc. having to do with Angel Sanctuary in my fanfic is the property of Kaori Yuki. So, please don't sue me!
Author's Note: This story takes place in an alternate realm, where Alexiel is not yet sealed, and where Lucifer's soul is trapped in Alexiel's sword. Setsuna, Sara, Kira, and any other human characters in the manga do not exist in this realm. Only the non-human characters from Angel Sanctuary play a role in this story.
WARNING: Rare use of mild language (F word, B word), occasional scenes of mild violence and gore. You have been warned! Read at your own discretion!!!
Paradise and the Eternal Nightmare
By: daous (enigma-nemesis on fanfiction.net)
Chapter 01: The Peace within the Chaos…
Pre-Fourth Holy War, 2999 AD
Assiah - Heaven Outpost of Anagura (1st Layer of Hell)
The stench of Assiah was foul and dirty as usual, or as the humans call it, Earth, thought Michael, one of the four great archangels and the elemental angel of fire. The hot-headed angel surveyed the block-like, human structures that were presently within the outpost's range of view. He criticized the dull taste that the humans had here then walked away from the view. The seraphim, Sevothart, who he absolutely despised, working for, ordered him to watch over the gates to the first layer of Hell. He claimed that Metatron, the prime minister of Heaven, had a terrible nightmare where the citizens of Hell will uprise once again very, very soon. Since the young prime minister occasionally has a premonition or two, Sevothart did not dare risk ignoring the possibility. So, Sevothart sent a messenger to Michael's throne, assigning him to his new task. Michael grinned with pleasure as he recalled charring the messenger into molten metal, since, as usual, Sevothart used a machine to give out his orders. Michael knew Sevothart was a coward, giving out orders but never going himself. Michael even suspects him of using Metatron for his own selfish ambitions.
 
“Talk about paradise”, snorted Michael. The humans, who believe that heaven is paradise, are far from the truth. No matter where they go, heaven or hell, there will always be despair, corruption, and endless suffering. The only things that make heaven better than hell would be the fact that it appears to be cleaner, and that God is the most powerful thing in existence. Unfortunately, he has been absent for thousands of years, which may have explain why heaven is so chaotic now. Other than that, Michael really had no damn clue why people should be overjoyed about going to heaven after death. Humans are foolish, mere creatures created by God, Michael thought to himself.
 
After that little bit of pondering, Michael walked away from the view and headed to his living quarters here in the Assiah-Anagura outpost. The outpost was a cloaked fortress that floated above the entrance between Assiah and Anagura. The gate, which can only be seen by demons and angels, was a massive, round door forged from unholy ether, and had demon writing encrypted along the rim. It was protected with powerful enchantments from the Zodiacs of Heaven. Only the strongest of demons or angels could break this seal that would pour all the demons into Assiah, and then to the heavens.
 
In history, the demons have only broken it only three times since the beginning of time, and every time, the ones who have broken it were the Seven Fallen Angels and... to Michael's dismay, his former brother, Lucifer. Michael never forgot the day when Lucifer, in heaven known as Lucifel, turned into a fallen angel and was banished to Hell for all eternity. This not only shocked him, but it also scarred his reputation in Heaven since Lucifel was his older brother and the morning angel, which was the second highest possible rank in Heaven for an angel, apart from Adam Kadamon. Michael's comrades began to lose trust in him because of his brother's actions. Michael hated him for that. So, when the First Holy War broke out many, many years ago, Michael was determined to regain his reputation and honor by defeating the one person he cared most... his brother. After a long, exhausting duel between his blood-related enemy, he killed Lucifer... temporarily, for he knew, that it was impossible to kill a demon that was immortal. Angels and demons of high rank reincarnate themselves once they have been slain, and slowly regain their original powers. So, after slaying Lucifer, Lucifer disappeared and never appeared again since that one, fateful day. When the war ended, Michael, all of heaven praised him as a hero for vanquishing the great “Prince of Darkness”.
 
Despite earning back his reputation and despite gaining more control of heaven, he still regretted killing his own brother, the one who helped him to become a skilled fighter in heaven. If it weren't for his brother, he would have been some unrecognizable angel like the majority of them. It was because of his brother's status that people knew about him. He truly regretted what he did to his brother to this very day. No one in heaven, or, Michael suspects, in hell, knew the whereabouts of Lucifer since his defeat in the First Holy War. The lower ranks assume he is gone for sure, while the ones higher up in rank believe he is merely bidding his time, waiting for the perfect opportunity to rise up to the Heavens and overthrow God. Michael, however, had no clue what to believe. If his brother, at least when he was an angel, knew that he could never defeat God, or even Adam Kadamon. However, if he changed completely when he was marked as a fallen one, it's possible that all his logical thinking became twisted. That could explain why there was a Holy War in the first place. Then again, what if he did that on purpose, knowing that he would lose? What if he had achieved something in the long run? The next two Holy wars were caused by the Seven Satans, and those wars were quickly put to an end. Without Lucifer, the beings of Hell don't stand a chance at overthrowing Heaven. So Michael wasn't sure whether or not his brother's “other” plan had succeeded. Michael's mind became so confused that he decided to stop thinking about it. The only being other than Lucifer himself who knows the true reason as to why he fell would be God, the creator of everything.
 
Michael, who was walking to his living quarters while thinking, suddenly overheard a conversation between to angel guards.
 
“Did you hear the news going on in Heaven? It's unbelievable...” whispered one guard to the other.
 
“Yeah, where do you think the person disappeared off to...?”
 
Michael, who hated things he didn't know about, walked towards the two guards and glared at them with a pissed off expression. “Would any one of you care to tell me what the fuck you're talking about?” he said dangerously, as he cracked his knuckles.
 
The two guards stared back at Michael with fear, fully aware about his short temper that can make any problem turn ugly... and burnt. They straightened up and saluted him nervously.
 
“Oh great and mighty Michael, the great archangel of-“
 
“Cut the crap, and get to the point assholes! I don't need be greeted like that every damn time!” Michael warned. The guards quickly nodded and began to explain the conversation they just had.
 
“Sir, there's a rumor spreading in all of Heaven, claiming that the organic angel, Alexiel, has suddenly disappeared and no one knows where she is!”
 
Michael stiffened. Alexiel, the organic angel who is ranked the same as inorganic angel Rociel, and one rank below his brother's former position, the morning angel, has disappeared... Why, and, for a being with such presence and power, how can no one find her? Something was definitely odd...
 
Michael and the two guards heard loud rumblings below them, so they quickly dashed to the place where Michael viewed outside a while back.
 
Suddenly, the ground below the outpost began to shake violently, opening up fissures around the round gate. The human structures nearby collapsed and fell one by one, blowing up lots of smoke into the sky. Bright, hot fire blasted from the cracks on the ground hundreds of miles high, beyond the clouds. The sky darkened as more and more black smoke bellowed from the human city and the fissures on the gate. The demon writing along the rim of the gate began to glow orange. Michael had only one explanation for this: Someone opened the gate of Anagura.
 
The doors of the gate opened up slowly from the ground, and to the horror of the two guards beside Michael, thousands upon thousands of hideous demons poured out of the gate, overflowing onto the surface like an army of ants, or spiraling towards the floating outpost in a chain. The screams and cries of the demons could be heard and they grew louder and louder as more of them rose from the gate.
 
Michael had a good idea who unleashed these foul creatures from Hell. In fact, it all makes sense, especially with the rumor he just heard from the two guards. Alexiel has begun a fourth uprising of Hell, resulting in the Fourth Holy War. Michael merely smiled from this. He was finally going to get some action after so many years of the so-called, “peace”. Michael unsheathed his massive sword, and wiped it with a cloth from his pants' pockets, until it shined brilliantly. He turned towards the other two guards and grinned at them.
 
“Well, are you coming or not? We've got some demon slaying to do!” he grinned as he leaped high into the sky, spreading his magnificent wings before descending towards the ground where he'll come face to face with the horde of demons. The two guards looked at each other, then grinned as well as they too jumped leaped out of the outpost and spread their wings, trying to catch up with Michael, their leader, their hero, their savior. The descent of Michael caused every other angel within the outpost to follow after him, weapons ready to spill the blood of those who oppose them, in the Fourth Holy War between Heaven and Hell.
 
To be continued...
----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------
Author's Rant: Well, I hope you enjoyed this chapter, cause I most certainly did when I wrote it! Be sure to check for updates soon and please read and review!!!