Angelic Layer Fan Fiction ❯ Angelic Layer: Cast Meet ❯ Father's Brainchild and the Surroundings ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I am, in no way, the owner of Angelic Layer. I only own Saya, Hinako, Chihiro, Rikan, Yuri and some other characters who'll come out in the ficcie.

big note ~ I WILL TRY MY BEST TO MAKE MY CHARACTERS DIFFERENT FROM THEIR PARENTS. ALTHOUGH IT MAY SEEM LIKE THAT. IT WILL TURN OUT DIFFERENT.

Information Nook~

* Mihara Saya (12 and 1/2 years old)

Although her relations are mostly AL buffs, these people cannot seem to influence her at all. Saya does not hate the layer, in particular. She just cannot be pulled into its fast-paced world. However, she does know a lot about it. The girl just doesn't show it. Saya has a great resemblance to her mother but thinks rather a lot like her father, Oujirou. She can be caring sometimes and indifferent other times. She likes to muse a lot and is a little stiff in communicating with her peers, acting formal towards them. The girl rarely loosens up in the face of others. One of the exceptions is her grandaunt Shouko's adopted daughter, Rikan, who has the nick "Ran".

Later on in the story, Saya takes an interest on an unforeseen thing. Also, in this whirlpool of meetings, the girl meets people who will affect her as they were supposed to when she was younger.

* prodigal school - these are deuses with exceptional abilities to hone the skills of their angels to the max, surpassing the limits of an angel.
* SM12-4 chip - first beta chip created by AL developers. Failure.
* SM12-4X chip - new microchip created after the failure of the first one. It is buried in the body of a person.

* Project SS - there was an earlier name for this project 2 years ago. It was called Project Shizumi which became a failure. The new revision, Project SS, was successful compared to Project Shizumi.

Prologue

10 years ago...

"Why did you allow him to do it on her?! Was he playing the older-brother-should-be-followed thing again?"

"Of course not. He wasn't even suggesting the procedure be done on our daughter."

"Oh really? Then, whose bright idea was it?"

"It was mine. I wanted the microchip on her."

"You should have consulted me first! I could've disagreed, you know."

"Misaki, look. There's no harm in embedding..."

"..No harm?! What do you mean by that? After what happened a year ago?!"

Kobayashi Tamayo heard the loud cries as she was nearing the door. Before her, Icchan propped himself on the very door that the shouts were erupting from. He was staring ahead of him, melancholic in his countenance. Tamayo coughed to let her presence known.

"Oh hi," Ichirou said weakly. He had bags under his eyes, indicating lack of sleep. Tamayo guessed that he could have been having restless nights these days. She also noticed that the layer expert was much much thinner than she remembered.

Tamayo chose her words carefully lest the man might turn edgy. "Hi. Uh, how long has that been going on?" Tamayo pointed an index finger at the closed door Ichirou was leaning on.

"Not too long actually," Ichirou replied. Then, he added, "...only an hour ago."

"That bad huh?"

"You could say that again."

The shouts were getting louder now. Ichirou went away from the door. He sighed and rubbed his neck, which was getting quite stiff. "Long time no see, Kizuki-san, or is it Kobayashi now?"

"I'm Kobayashi Tamayo now," confirmed Tamayo.

"Finally caught up to that bickering couple in there," Ichirou said, briefly glancing at the door. The argument was still ongoing. "I bet you had a great honeymoon."

Tamayo turned a bright shade of crimson. She still blushed whenever topics like that were brought up. Shaking off the thought, she decided to stir the conversation towards another topic. "Icchan, how are you? You look strained. Does the fight inside that room have anything to do with it?"

"..."

"Aiiyayay...Here I was, coming up to the AL Company to greet my dear best friend but it so turns out this thing is happening right now. I was hoping she'd be here, smiling like usual. But all I can imagine at this time is a Misaki spitting out flames."

Ichirou nodded. Right that moment, the door burst open. A woman in her twenties with wayward strands of copper hair all over her face came out. Her face was scrunched up in a way that showed she had been holding back tears. She was hugging her small frame, blue eyes filled with forlornness.

"Misaki...," Tamayo called.

The tears that where being held back gushed down Misaki's cheeks. Misaki fled.

>o>Cast Meet<o<

Chapter 1

Father's Brainchild and the Surroundings

(present period)

Formany years, the game known as the Angelic Layer has evolved from the use of simple dolls to complex creations. Angels, originally the brainchildren of Mihara Ichirou, perceived that this dream would change lives aplenty. He manipulated the layer to a certain level that the so-called "angelic fever" spread even to countries abroad.

Angelic Layer, in its entirety, is a battle between two people, known as Deuses. It is in the Deus's will that the angel he/she controls renders mobility. The height, size or appearance of the angel does not matter at all. The outcome of the battle does not depend whether the angel is weak or mighty, speedy or slow, heavyweight or lightweight. The Deus's determination and desire to win is more important.

Angels are not all the same in build or in what they look like. People see them differently as well. To the Deus, his/her angel may be a toy, a friend, a companion, a lover, or a reminder. It may have taught the Deus something valuable in life or it may just simply be a form of entertainment.

Yeah, right.

Twelve year old Mihara Saya couldn't care less at what was written in the pages they were supposed to read in class. They didn't as much as tell the students to read about Angelic Layer in class a few years back. The students weren't even required to know what the word meant. Saya only found out about the ridiculous setup last week. The Layer was to be introduced to the school's curriculums. To develop young minds, they said.

A lot of students, particularly the girls, loved the new program. They liked the fact that since Angelic Layer was so hip, it should be part of schooling. The construction of a small tournament dome was in the process already. Almost everyday, students would pass the towering circular building erected near the school to take a peep at the future battle area for student Deuses.

So what was wrong with the picture?

Saya wasn't jolly with the idea. To begin with, she was never ever interested the slightest bit with the popular tournament. What was so addictive about it, Saya couldn't find the reason. She hated to admit it, but her relatives all seemed to be "layer buffs". Her uncle, Mihara Ichirou and her father, Mihara Oujirou, were connected with Angelic Layer big time. Her grandmother, Shu-something had been a champion in Angelic Layer three times in a row. About her mother...Saya didn't know much about her. But she understood that she had also played in the layer.

My mother, according to dad, has gone someplace far. He said that she wouldn't be back until her job was done. Is he really telling the truth?

The passion just wasn't in her blood. Somebody might have ejected it out of her system when she was born. Well, she did try to make herself like it. She sometimes went with her dad to the Angelic Layer Company. She watched the manufacturing of the dolls, how they molded the form yet left the design and type of angel not tampered. It failed. It didn't arise any feeling.

All of this Saya pondered as she left "The Layer in Truth: A Close View on Angels" unopened. Her eyes were directed at the cover of the book though her mind was wandering far off.

The girl wasn't aware of her seatmate talking to her. She only realized it when her mind came back to reality. "Saya, Inori-sensei has been calling on you and you aren't even looking at her!" hissed July, her seatmate.

"Wha-?!" Saya glanced at the teacher in front. Inori-sensei was waiting for her to pay attention. Saya could already see how impatient the teacher was getting. She bolted up and bowed her head clumsily, mumbling an indistinct apology.

Inori-sensei loomed over her. "Next time, Mihara-san, you ought to show more respect to your elders. I understand how the subject of the angels do not appeal to you. But you will stand up when I tell you to read from the book."

Saya buried her head as low as she could.

"You may sit down," the teacher said.

Obviously, Saya had gone against an Angelic Layer enthusiast who wanted everyone else to be enthusiastic about it. She couldn't stand putting up with teachers like Inori Sakura. They were somber women wearing their hair in tight buns and piercing through your soul with such close-set eyes.

Inori-sensei continued her discussion. "...the SM12-4X chip, formerly known as SM12-4 was developed 10 years ago. As you can see, the angels that the SM12-4X chip can control have abilities beyond the common type of angels....."

Luckily, dismissal time came as usual.

Saya piled her books and carried them in her arms. She waited for her classmates to leave first. She was always the last to go out of the room.

The corridors were rumbustious with the chatter of students. Some were giddy and frolicking around. Others were laughing so profusely. Saya heard a few clamoring on about a certain person whose name the girl was not able to catch. It seemed to her that these students were getting excited because of an event in school. Saya couldn't figure out what.

She made her way to the locker area which was also crowded with noisy girls and boys. Saya did her best not to bump into any of them. The girl stopped short in front of her locker. She turned the combination lock and click! Tugging at the handle with one hand, she balanced the books in the other arm. As she placed her books inside, she eavesdropped on a group of gossipers near her locker. From the corners of her eyes, Saya recognize them as sixth-graders.

"Hey, hey. Did you hear?" Saya caught the words of one of the girls, a layer fanatic with glasses.

"Uh-huh. So, it really is true that the dome is going to opened this afternoon huh?"

"...and one guy from Angelic Layer Company is coming here!"

"Kobayashi Hinako-chan too!" added a pony-tailed female.

A blonde girl among the group clapped her hands. "You mean THE eight year old Hinako-chan, known as the Élan of the layer?" she spoke rapidly.

"Of course! It's none other than the kawaii and genki Hinako-chan! She's the Deus who is going to test out the functionality of the new layer in school, " the pony-tailed girl answered.

"I can't wait to see it then."

The drove of girls slowly moved away. Saya listened to their loud voices until they were faint in the distance. She closed her locker. The twelve year old child suddenly remembered that she had a report to submit. She padded along the hall to the teacher's faculty.

Saya knocked first, then twisted the knob and opened the faculty door ajar. She was surprised to see that the place was devoid of the entire teaching staff. There wasn't anyone sitting at his/her own desk. The girl left the faculty, thinking.

The mass of students was thinning out, she observed. Apparently, they were heading outside. Where?

Probably gone to that new extension wing, the Angelic Layer Dome, Saya thought. She guessed it so because it was still too early for teachers and students to leave right away.

Saya halted. Her head turned toward the windows to gaze at the new annex. From the windows, she saw the circular structure that was the dome. A huge cheer went up from it.

I was right, confirmed the girl. Saya made up her mind to go to the dome.

*****

A sandy-haired child of ten years beamed proudly at her handiwork. She was delighted that she was able to impress the audience with Mimosa's display of skills, the angel she cherished ever since she started playing Angelic Layer 5 years ago.

"What you've just witnessed was the Élan of the layer, Kobayashi Hinako, and her angel, Mimosa! That was surely a sugoi demonstration by our genki eight year old on the new layer," the announcer blared over the speakers. Just like the previous times, the announcer was still perched atop his post.

Hinako, the mentioned genki ten year old, got off the Deus' high seat. She waved at the crowd with vigor. Her lavender eyes twinkled brightly. Several fangirls squealed at this. Hinako gestured towards her angel. Mimosa, standing on the edge of the disc known as the layer, gave a fanged smile, winked, and did a double flip in the air, landing square on the shoulder of her Deus. More squeals came.

Hinako waved one last time before exiting, as the announcer continued commentating.

"Enjoying yourself, Hina-chan?" a voice said from behind the eight year old Deus.

Hinako turned on her heel. She grinned widely at the speaker. "Icchan-san, I really did!" she told the man.

Mihara Ichirou smiled back. He took his hands out of its place in the pockets of his white lab coat and pushed his eyeglasses up his nose. "Well, since the Élan is satisfied, I guess the new layer's working fine." Ichirou started walking at a leisurely pace, which wasn't at all leisurely for the young deus. "Say, aren't you tired Hina-chan, after that demonstration?"

Hinako stared wide-eyed at him. She moved her head back and forth as an answer of "no". Then, the little girl stopped in her tracks. She pursed her lips and stomped her left foot indignantly. "Icchan-san! Don't walk super fast!"

Ichirou spun around. His forehead wrinkled in sympathy. "Gomen, Hina-chan," he apologized, running a hand through his unruly black hair.

Hinako smiled. "This is the first school to have its own layer, right?" asked the young Deus, catching up to the older person.

"Yep. We're planning to build other centers nationwide."

Hinako liked the thought of having Angelic Layer everywhere. She really loved it. She was happy she had an angel like Mimosa who was just as energetic as the little girl.

"Arigatou, Icchan-san." Hinako looked up at the father of Angelic Layer. "Without the layer, I wouldn't have been able to meet Mimosa." Hinako glanced at the doll sitting on her right shoulder. It acknowledged her with a warm smile.

Ichirou patted Hinako's dark head. "You're welcome."

From the other end, a woman who looked distinctly like Hinako was waving at the child. "Hina-chan!" she called out.

Hinako perked up at the sound of her mother's voice. "Coming, okasan!" she cried back. Hinako said goodbye to Ichirou and sprinted to her mother's side.

Ichirou suddenly felt tired. Nowadays, he always did after events such as that. It was time to wrap up everything for today. The trial was successful after all. He turned right round a corner and paused in front of a steel door. The layer expert punched in a code number on the keypad at the side. Ichirou gained access. He entered the video room.

"Oogata, let's go. The new layer's doing well. The first battles should be starting around next week," Ichirou droned on to his assistant the minute he stepped inside. He didn't even pause to direct his eyes at Oogata.

Masaharu Oogata had a bright look on his sweating face. "Ah, Chief Mihara! I'm so glad to hear that. I feel totally wiped out now. Imagine doing all that repair in the main AL facility and you suddenly going ballistic because you forgot all about the test run on the recently built layer in this school. I had to drive you hear in like what, 10 minutes. You almost didn't make it!"

"Yeah yeah." Ichirou sighed, plopping down on one of the chairs. He shut his eyes tight.

"Chief, I'm sorry I didn't ask for your permission. But I let her in," Oogata uttered.

Ichirou remained in the same position. "Who?"

"Your niece."

The man blinked his eyes open and straightened up to see the sight of Mihara Saya.

"Saya-chan, I didn't notice you," Ichirou said, "I almost didn't recall that you studied here. Of course, since you were only a building away from the dome, you would certainly go to this place."

Saya came nearer to her uncle.

"So, what brings you here? Based on my experiences, I know that my dear niece doesn't have a liking for the layer. Are we starting to change light?"

"I was only checking things out, Uncle Iichirou," replied the copper-haired twelve year old. A sweatdrop was beginning to form from the back of her head. She anticipated what was coming next.

Ichirou's eyes gleamed in a weird way. A funny smile registered on his elongated face. "Saya-chaaan. I think you're starting to take interest in the game, aren't you? And didn't I tell you to call me Icchan instead of Uncle? You're making me old."

"But you are around 40 and that's considered old. Calling you Icchan Uncle Ichirou sounds so wrong. It's almost like some name a perverted guy would want to concoct. Besides, you're my dad's brother. That makes you my uncle, right?"

The 47 year old man's jaws hung open. He couldn't believe the words coming out of the mouth of a fifth-grader. They hit a spot. Not only that, it showed how similar Saya was to his younger brother. She got the sarcasm from him, the looks from her. But what about the rest of her personality?

Saya hadn't started Angelic Layer at all. It was introduced to the girl when she was a little over 4 years. The reaction of the child to the game, at that time, was far from his expectations.

"Uncle, your cellular phone," Saya remarked. She wasn't sure about what she said to make her uncle go into oblivion. He had been talking to himself and kept on rubbing his chin unconsciously for a while. The man didn't even realize that his phone was ringing.

Ichirou shook his head. He smiled uneasily at Saya, then snatched the cellular phone from the pocket of his trousers. "Hello?" he half-shouted in a brisk manner.

"Oh, it's you," the layer expert said with a hint of disappointment. "Yeah, I'm going back now. The trial was a success."

Saya pretended to leaf over an angel catalog from a nearby table, all the while listening to her uncle talking on his cellular phone.

"Uh-huh. She's here. What?!... You're outside?! Why didn't you tell me earlier?!!! You love spiting me so much, don't you?"

The girl side-glanced at the lab coat-clad man. She caught the expression on his face. It was one that the girl couldn't read.

"Alright. I'll tell her to go and meet you."

After a few more words exchanged, Ichirou clicked off the phone. He let out a deep sigh. Saya dropped the catalog. She stared inquiringly at him.

"Your dad's waiting outside," Ichirou simply stated. "That baka! He didn't inform me at all!!"

Ichirou's niece laughed outright at the sudden outburst.

The father of angelic layer scrunched his face at the offending action. "I'm telling you, he hasn't changed after all these years."

Saya smiled. "So that Uncle Iichan will stay Uncle Iichan."

Somehow it didn't matter, Iichirou realized.

to be continued

Any comments, reviews, feedback, criticisms? E-mail me, Kagaribi, at this e-mail: quisty@pacific.net.ph