Angels Fan Fiction / Romance Fan Fiction / Original Stories Fan Fiction ❯ The Book of Neroh ❯ Attack ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Feudal Era
 
"Shiloh, my son, stop reading your silly books and get to work." A woman said looking at her 18-year-old son sitting by the window reading away. He looked up from his book and smiled at his mother closing his book. His beautiful golden eyes glanced around the shop. Standing from the table he was sitting on he walked back to the shelves and started restocking them with medicines and antibiotics. His mother was a local nurse and ran the only clinic in the area for 50 miles. She was talented no doubt about that, but she was constantly urged into sleeping with military men that walked in and out of the store.
 
"Mother, I don't understand why you would let those sick bastards in here." Shiloh spoke as three men were standing in front of the clinic. His mother scowled at him and looked over at the men as one of the was just about to enter.
 
"Keep your mouth shut," she warned walking away from him over to the man that had just walked in. Shiloh glared at the man as he hugged his mother his hand traveling down her side to her thigh. He turned around and walked into the back of the shop not wishing to see that. "Shiloh, run down to the priestesses home and bring back some mint herbs." She said just before he left the front room. He nodded and shut the door looking back at the man he had let go of his mother, but he had this look in his eyes.
 
"Damn him." Shiloh said as he opened the back door to leave the clinic.
 
*---~~---~~---*
 
"Shiloh, what are you doing?" a crackling voice came from behind. His eyes caught the site of a woman dressed in blue and white robes sitting down on a fallen over tree. "Shouldn't you be getting this from me." She held up a small glass vase with crushed leave inside of it. He said nothing and stared out at the river down at the bottom of the hill. The woman was old, gray hair, deep black eyes, and wrinkled skin. She stood up and walked over to him laying the bottle beside him.
 
"Chiyo," he paused and looked at the woman. "The shogun they're nearby." Chiyo stopped and stared down at the boy. Looking away at the forest across the river she sighed shaking her head.
 
"No," she looked at him as his golden eyes stared up into her black ones. "They were nearby yesterday, they are here now." Shiloh turned to the river and stood up taking the bottle the old woman had given to him. He bowed before he ran off into the forest behind him heading towards the village. Chiyo watched him go and turned to the river seeing a metal shine. Armor of the shogun.
 
"Priestess," a man walked from out of the forest, wearing the mark of the shogun. Chiyo stared at the man and bowed her head to him. He did the same and stepped closer a katana tied onto his waist, body plated with silver armor. She looked into his blue eyes and felt something different about him than that of most shogun men. "I will allow you until dusk to evacuate your village or I will be forced to destroy it."
 
"Why do you just say things such as this?" Chiyo asked as a breeze blew by. The man's dark blonde hair fluttered around and he backed away turning back to the forest going into its shadows. "It couldn't be." She said shaking her head. Chiyo placed a hand on her chest and the other to her mouth eyes wide and watering. Kai, what has happened to you? She thought as the man fully vanished.
 
*---~~---~~---*
 
"Mother?" Shiloh asked entering the building. His mother was sitting at the table he was at when he was reading earlier that day. He walked over to her and found that she was reading his book. Shiloh stopped when she looked up at him and shut the book stroking the front cover.
 
"Where did you get this?" she questioned him. Shiloh looked at the book and then at his mother shrugging his shoulder. "When did you see him?" she asked. Shiloh shook his head and then heard a loud gun shot ringing through the streets. He ran over to the front door and looked outside. His eyes widened when he saw the shogun came forth. Quickly he turned back inside and found his mother holding onto the book. Shiloh walked over to his mother and took the book away from her.
 
"Mother, right now, that is not important, what is as that you get out of here and go quickly," Shiloh said taking her to the back door pushing her outside. His mother turned around to face him, her silver eyes shining so brightly. He sighed and hugged his mother and she kissed his cheek. "Follow the trail and don't look back." Shiloh took one last look at his mother as she ran into the forest her black hair flowing down her back and creamy vanilla skin vanishing into shadows. Closing the door Shiloh ran back to the front and grabbed a brown bag and saw the book near the window were a samurai warlord was looking through. He backed down as the samurai left the window. Shiloh looked over at the front door and saw two men talking and quickly ran up to the front stuffing the book in his back and ran over to a small staircase leading upstairs. Someone kicked down the door and Shiloh stopped looking back putting the bag over his shoulder.
 
"Shiori! Show yourself!" the man called out. Shiloh knew they'd be looking for her, which made him grateful he had got her out in time. He pushed open a small window and climbed out of it and reached for a rope and started climbing up to the roof. When he reached the top he panted and sat down leaning against the back of the small bit of wall that was a foot high. Shiloh heard more gunshots and people screaming, if he didn't get up soon he'd be found. "Hey this windows open." A samurai called to his friends. Shiloh looked down and saw that the guy was climbing out grabbing onto the rope. He quickly pushed himself up and took a running start to the tree besides the building and climbed into it jumping to the next building. He looked back and headed towards the forest to Chiyo.
 
*---~~---~~---*
 
"Shiori," Chiyo said softly as she kneeled down beside the woman, who lay on the ground bleeding slowly dying. "My dear, Kai is not who he once was." Chiyo said stroking Shiori's black hair. The old woman looked up and saw Shiloh running out of the forest, when he slowed himself and saw his mother. Chiyo stood up and looked at him as he shook his head and walked closer, this time he was sure it truly was his mother. He dropped the bag on his shoulder and dropped down to his knees tears filling his eyes. Chiyo stared down at the ground her fingers laced together in front of her.
 
"Mother." Shiloh cried trying to shake her, but she was gone. He took off his hooded cloak and laid it over her. "I shall avenge you." He said standing up and looking to Chiyo, who nodded to him.