Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Fun and Games ❯ I'm Staying ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

“You're pregnant?” Aang shook his head, not believing a word he was hearing.
 
“You bastard!” Sokka yelled at Zuko. He charged forward, ready to give Zuko what he deserved for do that to Katara.
 
“Stop Sokka!” Katara pulled some water from the ocean and froze it around Sokka's feet. “Hear me out.” She took a deep breath and tried to focus her mind. “I can't go running around the world helping Aang become proficient at all the elements. Not while I have this baby.”
 
“How do you even know you're with child?” Zuko wanted to know, “You haven't been here more than a month. And it's only been a few weeks since…” He trailed off, not wanting Aang and Sokka to know about one particular detail.
 
“Trust me. Even if I wasn't a water bender, I'd know. A few weeks are all it takes.” She put her hands on her stomach. “I can feel the extra water inside of me. Water benders are very aware of their bodies. Besides if you really want to know, I missed my last moon cycle. That's almost a sure fire way to know that there's something different.”
 
Aang blushed when Katara talked about her moon cycle. That wasn't something boys his age heard about. Of course he knew about, being with Katara for such a long time. The first month he traveled with Katara and Sokka he didn't understand why for about a week Katara was grouchy, irritable, and just downright different. Fortunately Sokka explained it to Aang, who responded with a chorus of `ews.'
 
He shook off his embarrassment and accosted Zuko, “There's no way Katara would willingly be with you. You must have poisoned her food with an aphrodisiac. Then, while she was susceptible, you took advantage of her. Yeah. And now the only reason she wants to be with you is for the child.”
 
Zuko ran his tongue over his peal colored teeth. “However she became pregnant… I mean I know it's my fault, but whatever the circumstances were, they are between Katara and myself. I think she's made her choice. I'm sure she's grateful that you came, it tells a lot about your character, but I'm afraid I would have to agree with her. It would be for the best if she would stay with me until the child has grown some.”
 
Sokka, who was still chipping away at the ice with his boomerang, turned from his waist so he could almost face Zuko. “You don't know what you're talking about. The baby and Katara would be safe with us.”
 
“Look, Sokka, Admiral Zhao is still after Aang. If I went with you guys, there would be the risk of me getting hurt. And if I got hurt, so would the baby. I can't risk that.” Katara tried to get Aang and Sokka to see things from her point of view.
 
“Whatever,” mumbled Aang.
 
“Aang, I know… I know we've had a close relationship. And I do… Well, I guess I do love you. I just have to do what's best for the baby.”
 
Aang blushed again. “Katara I love you too.” He walked up her and put a shaky hand on Katara's cheek. “I do.” He placed a gentle kiss on Katara's lips. Much to his surprised, she kissed him back. It lasted for only a few seconds, but it was all Aang needed.
 
“Alright Katara. We'll continue our journey but we'll visit you a lot. And send messages. I won't forget you.” He kissed her again, this time on the cheek. “But I guess we'd better go, before it gets too hard.”
 
“Sokka, who had finally chipped himself free, ran over to Appa. “Wait, so we're leaving Katara with the bad guy.”
 
“Yep, that's right. Now, get up here.” Aang had already climbed on top of Appa and was waiting for Sokka.
 
“You get to say your good byes, now it's my turn.” He turned and walked to Katara. “Hey sis, you know I really care about you and want what's best. So after you have this baby remember that we really care about you. And we don't just like you for stupid lusting reasons.” Zuko almost interrupted, but contained himself. “So whenever you want to join us again, we'll be waiting for you.” He hugged his sister, and after one last pat on the back, he ran off to Appa.
 
“You guys go out there and show the world the Avatar's true power!” Katara called to them. “And remember we have fire benders here if you ever need help.”
 
Katara watched them fly away until they were a tiny speck on the horizon.
 
“You think I'd teach the Avatar fire bending?” Zuko asked incredulously.
 
“Oh come on, you have to be nice to them now. One's you child's uncle, the other a friend of the family. You need to be for my sake.”
 
Zuko moved closer to Katara and planted an arm around her. He leaned in and whispered, “For your sake.” Leaning in for a kiss Katara stopped him.
Zuko drew back, confused.
 
“Zuko, I can't love you..." Katara hung her head as tears formed in her eyes.
 
“But we just talked about how you're staying with me for the baby's sake. I thought…”
 
“You thought wrong. I'm staying with you so our baby can be safe. I already love someone.” Katara looked away.
 
“It's that Avatar. Isn't it?” Zuko could feel rage boiling within him. “How could that pitiful excuse for a bender capture your heart? He's short and scrawny and can't even compare to me.” He lifted a hand to his face. “Or is it because of this?” He stroked his scar. “You want a whole, handsome, which the Avatar isn't yet I might add, man.”
 
“No, that's not it.” Katara hated herself for having crushed his hopes.
 
“It doesn't matter. As of now, I love you no more.”
 
“You loved me?” Katara couldn't believe it.
 
Realizing how blunt he had been, Zuko couldn't figure out a way to undo his last statement. So, he reasoned, he might as well speak the truth. “Yes. I love you. Or I guess loved.”
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Bunnie: See I can do long chappies I it's good and has no place to put an end.
 
Katara: Wow I thought I was saying I was pregnant.
 
Zuko: I can't believe it happened on both our first times.
 
Bunnie: Yes, that's why all the teens out there, remember to use protection! Pregnancy can happen your first time.
 
Aang: Get off your soap box, have it become a Aang/Katara fic.
 
Bunnie: No. Review please!