Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Moonlit Secret ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Moonlit Secrets
 
Avatar: The Last Airbender Belongs to Nickelodeon, as much as I wish that it was on a different station.
 
“Sokka!” Zuko called out, walking along the river that they had decided to camp by that night. The young Firelord had seen the Warrior head off that way earlier, seemingly distracted. “Sokka?” he called out again, pushing aside a vine in his path. Stopping in shock, he saw what he thought he would never see: Sokka, the only `normal' person in the Gaang, in the midst of a waterbending kata, a ball of water hovering between his bent hands. Fumbling for a moment, the ball of water splashed down, soaking his already wet fire nation trousers.
 
“Shit.” Sokka cursed under his breath, closing his eyes and starting the kata over, bringing a new ball of water from the river. Getting into the same spot as his previous kata, he hesitated, and yet again the ball lost its form. Sighing, Sokka flopped down onto the sand of the bank and stared up into the night sky.
 
“The moon's full tonight, that's why.” Sokka said, not turning his head from where he was looking. Startled, Zuko stepped back, letting the vine he was holding snap back into place. “I know you're still there, Jerkbender.” Sighing, Sokka turned away from the moon to look at the suspicious moving vine.
 
Moving the vine out of the way, Zuko crossed his arms and snorted, leaning against a closer tree. “I thought you couldn't Waterbend, Peasant.”
 
Looking back at the moon, Sokka seemed to forget Zuko until he spoke up, “I can't.”
 
“Then what was tha-“
 
“The full moon, that's why. I said that already… Yue… Yue gave me this.” Looking at his hands, he clenched and released them, watching the blood flow under his palm. “I've been able to do this only because Yue lets me during the full moon… I guess it's her way of letting me know that she's still here… up there…”
 
Looking up at the moon also, Zuko shrugged, “And you're keeping this a secret… why?”
 
Turning to his somewhat friend, he gave the Lord a dry look, “And what would be the point of saying anything about something that I can only do once a month?... I sounded like a girl…”
 
Cracking a small grin, Zuko nodded but didn't say anything. Standing up from his tree, he waved back at Sokka over his shoulder, “Come on girlie, Katara has dinner ready.”
 
“I'm not a girl!” he called back, standing up and brushing off his soaked pants.
 
“Then why do you wear a dress?”
 
“It's not a dress, it's Kiyoshi Warrior garb!” Grabbing his clothes and sword (they had spend a good month searching for it in the soot after Sokka's leg had healed), Sokka jogged to catch up.
 
“It's a dress, and you're a girl.” Pushing a branch out of the way, he held it long enough to snap into Sokka's face.
 
“I'm not a girl!” came his smart comeback, rubbing his nose as he ducked under the tree that had it for him. “… hey…”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“You're not going to tell anybody, are you?”
 
“Like you said, what's the point?”
 
“…Thanks…”
 
Zuko nodded but didn't say anything further as they walked into camp and welcomed their portions of the warm meal.