Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Prophesied ❯ Watch your tongue! ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: I just watched the Southern Air Temple episode and I noticed for the first time that Zuko smiles in it.
Zuko: Did you really mean that Uncle?
Iroh: Of Course. I told you Ginseng Tea was my favorite.
Zuko: (very small smile)
They scan out of the scene so quickly you might not have noticed. You have to watch Zuko very closely, but it's there. YEAH!
 
Chapter 6: Agni's Kai
 
Katara stared at the last place she'd seen the Fire Prince and didn't know whether to be grateful he was gone or upset that she was alone. She'd always hated being alone, but perhaps it was better to be alone than with Zuko. PRINCE Zuko, she corrected herself. Standing up, she walked into the trees to see what she could do to take care of herself.
An hour later, she was overwhelmed. She had nothing sharp with which to cut some of the limbs to make a shelter, there didn't seem to be any caves, and though there was plenty of vegetation, none of it seemed edible. Katara couldn't help herself as she sank to her knees, gritted her teeth, and glared at the ground of the island that seemed so desperate to wrong her. No, she'd make it…and on her own.
Zuko was smirking within five minutes. This was going to be so easy. He had the knife in his boot as well as his armor and a short saber he happened to be wearing at the time of his abduction, and within the past five minutes he'd seen seven different types of edible plants, six different prey animals' tracks, and enough of the right types of foliage to create a decent shelter. Work together? Ha. He didn't need her help.
Zuko settled into a survival/predatory mode. He circled the island just to get a feel on his surroundings. When he reached the spot he'd last seen the Water Tribe girl, there were footprints leading into the woods. He snarled as the prospect of meeting her again, and headed off back the way he'd came to set up his own shelter.
There was a series of cliffs and further inland from the cliffs overlooking the sea was a large waterfall which led to a stream. After following the stream, Zuko found a smaller waterfall in a clearing. Deciding this should be his new home, he set off the work. First discarding his armor in the humid and hot air, he took out his knife and saber and began cutting limbs and leaves he could use to make a shelter.
The finished hut was made of leaves, tree limbs, and mud. Zuko had been taught long ago that it was not beauty but whether it served its purpose that mattered. But of course, Zula would have been able to make it pretty and useful. Stupid wench. After placing his armor in the hut so it wouldn't get dirty or wet, he continued his preparations.
Next, he needed fresh water. The stream wasn't exactly clear but it was clean, and would work. There were also lots of fish. Good food source. He would need some vessels for food and some way to catch the fish, but he could work on that tomorrow, for he'd spent the whole day working on the hut, and now the sun was setting. Curling up inside the hut next to his armor, Zuko found sleep as the sun sank beneath the horizon.
Katara was perched in a tree as the sun set, exhausted, but she would find no sleep that night. Her fear of the animals' predatory cries around her was coupled with her fear of falling out of the tree. To top it all, around midnight it began to rain.
As the sun set, Lieutenant Jee stepped out onto the deck and took up the space beside Iroh.
“I still don't see how he could've just vanished like that. He wouldn't have jumped, couldn't have fallen without making some noise, and his bed didn't even appear to be slept in.”
Iroh's face was set, and Jee was talking more to himself than to Iroh.
“Jee, I have an idea, maybe not about where Prince Zuko is, but rather…how he got there, and I request that you go inside.”
Jee complied after a moment's hesitation. Iroh turned his face to the now night-darkened waves.
“Agni, may I speak with you?”
There was a flurry of wind from behind him and then Agni was standing beside him in his human form.
“Whatever about my dear prince?”
“I believe you already know.”
“About Prince Zuko?”
“Yes, I believe you know where he is.”
“Yes, I do, and if I was to tell you, you'd go to him, and ruin my plans.”
“Well, now that you have taken him from me…perhaps you can tell me your plans.”
Agni sighed. “It's not much of a plan. Shasa and I are just giving fate a head start in truth…and I will ease Zuko's ascension to the throne.”
“How precisely? Will you murder my brother?”
Agni sighed again. “Did you know that Ozai and you only share a father? Your mothers were two completely different women.”
“I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised. I have a feeling I'm going to learn more.”
“Yes you are. Your mother was the Princess of the Night, and the only daughter of Agni and Shasa.”
Iroh looked up, his eyes slightly wide.
“So that makes me…your grand-son?”
Agni nodded.
“What happened to my mother? I was told she died, but if she's immortal…”
“She bore you as a favor to me…to restore my blood in the Fire Nation royal line. She could not stand your father for she knew of his lust for war and the hate in his heart, and so she left after you were born, but she didn't go far. She loved you as a mother should, and could not leave you. Your father took another wife, believing my daughter dead, and Ozai was born.”
Iroh took all this in wordlessly, understanding clear on his face as he remembered the kind woman he saw often in his childhood, but only at night, and only when he was alone. The night wind had sung lullabies to him when no one else cared, and the stars had shined brighter to still his tears. Strange to think it hadn't only been in his imagination.
“And of Zuko?”
Agni sighed once more. “I thought this time through a bit more, planned a little longer. It would take more than restoring the blood, for in inheriting my blood, you inherited my feelings for the war, but you had to see it.”
“You planned for me to take the throne, but I couldn't. I knew they expected me to continue the war, but after my own battles, I couldn't…You were right in saying I brought this on Zuko's shoulder. But Agni, how can you expect Zuko to end the war?”
“Zuko will not end the war…I will.”
There was an audible silence before Iroh brought up something that had been troubling him.
“I was there at Zuko's birth, and I held Neith's hand as she labored to give him life, and with each passing second I begin to believe more the thought I had the last time we conversed. Ozai is not Zuko's father.”
Agni was silent so Iroh continued. “I believe you are Zuko's father.”
Agni sighed and then nodded. “I am.”
Iroh began to chuckle and Agni looked at him incredulously.
“Why do you laugh Iroh?”
“Because that means Zuko is MY uncle!”
Agni stared at him for a moment, and then began to laugh as he nodded, for it was true.
After a few minutes, silence fell once more. Agni smiled as his eyes turned to the moon.
“Iroh…”
Iroh chuckled. “Yes…Grandpa?”
Agni hid his face in his hands and roared with laughter. It was another few minutes before he could speak again.
“Iroh, I wish for you to return to the Fire Nation with this crew. Furthermore, I'd like to accompany you.”
Iroh nodded. “Only promise me that Zuko's safety has not been compromised.”
“It hasn't.”
“All right.”
Then Iroh headed to the helmsman to give him the new orders, and Agni followed him, humming softly to himself.
Morning came swiftly, and Iroh was giving orders to the crew when Agni sauntered onto the deck stretching. Iroh chuckled as the Fire God walked over to him.
“That's one difference between you and Zuko. I'd never see him wake this late.”
“That's because he has nightmares and doesn't sleep that much.”
Iroh was silent, why hadn't Zuko told him?
“So…what are we doing today?”
“We're going to stop and restock supplies at Kusho Di.”
Agni nodded and smiled. “Sounds fun. And I can get a good look at what Ozai's done to my people.”
Iroh nodded. “My lord, I don't think it would be a good idea to tell the people who you are.”
Agni was now watching a group of gulls fly past and was barely paying attention to Iroh. “I agree.”
“So what should I call you?”
Agni reached out a hand to a low-flying gull and it lit on his hand, pecking his fingers lightly in search of food. The god smiled like a child at play.
“Um…I'll think about it.”
Iroh sighed and turned away from the Fire God and looked towards the approaching city.
Zuko woke that morning dry and hungry, so he set about making his stay on the island a bit better. Using his knife and some reeds he found by the stream, he wove a small basket to set beneath the small waterfall in the stream. The holes in the basket were big enough to let the young fish through but small enough to keep the big ones in.
As he walked down to the stream to set his trap, you could see the fish swimming through the crystal clear waters. Within an hour, he had several fish trapped.
Cleaning and gutting the fist, he speared them on his saber and roasted them over careful, even flames. Using the iron clad self-control he'd gained in his banishment he waited until the fish were cooked through. He would not risk any sickness, not on this desolate waste.
When Zuko was finished eating, he felt a sort of pride. Yes, he'd spent his entire life having everything handed to him, but now he was truly taking care of himself. It really felt good.
Katara didn't wake that morning, for she had never slept, and when she crept down from the tree at sun's first light, all she harbored in her heart was anger for Zuko.
At the temple she hadn't eaten after the Water Sage's comment about her being the `daughter of Nen.' So that made it about two maybe three straight days since she'd eaten anything worth mentioning. And so starving and exhausted, she made her way to the beach.
Even with her water-bending, it took her a good two hours to get a few decently sized fish from the ocean waves, and then she was too tired to do anything with them. It was only then that she realized she had no way to cook them, having lost her flint at some point, and she would not eat them raw. She wasn't that hungry yet, so she allowed herself to think, escaping the gnawing hunger in her gut.
The main thought in her mind was something she'd heard Shasa say that night when she'd been stolen away.
“The Daughter of Nen belongs to the Son of Agni and no other! You shall not touch her again!”
(But didn't they make it clear I am to be with Zuko? And Zuko am Ozai's son…isn't he? And besides, if he is Agni's son, wouldn't that make him a…a god?)
Katara fell asleep with this thought in her mind.
“WHO IS THE SON OF AGNI!?”
The women of the Water Temple cowered before the rage of the Avatar as they must once again protest that they didn't know.
Aang turned from the unhelpful women and went through the scrolls again. He knew that if he found out who the Son of Agni was, he'd find Katara.
A few feet away, Sokka stared at the Avatar. Yes, he wanted to find his sister, but he felt sure that the Water Goddess wouldn't put her in danger.
Aang burst to his feet and stalked over to the older boy.
“Why don't you help me? She's your sister! Help me look!”
“Through scrolls? There's no point! If we're going to look for Katara we need to be out there!”
“And where would we start? We need to know who this Son of Agni bastard is!”
Sokka stared at the boy as the curse slipped from his previously innocent mouth.
“What's gotten into you Aang?”
Aang turned away and gathered a few of the scrolls into their bag and Momo leapt from the shelf to his shoulder.
“It's what Shasa said to me that night. You see…Sokka…I like Katara…as more than a friend. And Shasa took her from me right after I found out she liked me too.”
Sokka's fists clenched and unclenched at this unexpected bit of news but he waited for more. Aang sighed.
“And…when I tried to get Katara back from Shasa…she said…she said…”
“What?!”
“She said, `The Daughter of Nen belongs to the Son of Agni and no other.' That's why I have to find out who he is, because Katara will be with him.”
Sokka sighed and placed a comforting hand on the Avatar's shoulders. “Just to let you know, falling in love takes time. Katara won't be handing herself to anyone, especially not if she likes you. So breathe…and take your time.”
Aang nodded and smiled at him. “Are you mad I didn't tell you?”
Sokka shrugged. “I'm actually surprised I didn't see it. But if you hurt her I'll kill you.”
Aang's smile broadened. “No problem.”
Sokka laughed. “Besides, better you than someone like…um…Zuko, you know?”
Aang's smile disappeared and his jaw dropped as something clicked in his mind.
For the first hour docked at Kusho Di, things went smoothly and there was no sign of Zhao, whose control had extended to these docks. In truth, Zhao was the last person Iroh wanted to see. He would have a tough time explaining Zuko's absence should Zhao inspect the ship, and the admiral would no doubt want to know who Agni was, a question for which Iroh did not yet have an answer.
“Iroh!”
Iroh looked up from the supplies and saw Agni standing at the ship's railing. The Fire God had tied up his hair as Zuko often did and was dressed in crimson and gold, so that when Iroh did look up, he had to perform a double-take before he realized that it was indeed Agni and not his nephew.
“Yes?”
“I'm going to go check on Zuko.”
Iroh flinched at the mention of his nephew, spoken so loudly, but nodded.
“All right but please lower your voice.”
Agni raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms over his chest.
“Why?”
“Because these docks are run by Admiral Zhao and if he found out…”
“If I found out what?”
Iroh spun around and Agni's gaze shifted to look at the tall admiral who had just walked up.
“I was just speaking of how upset you would be if you found out Zuko was sick.”
Agni didn't react to this statement or contradict it when Zhao's gaze fell on him.
“Fire-benders don't get sick. And who are you?”
Agni's eyes narrowed but his voice was emotionless. “I assure you that they do Admiral Zhao, and I am the Ryu-Kin.”
Iroh inwardly smiled but Zhao frowned.
“Well, I sincerely doubt that Zuko is sick so he must be hiding from me.”
Agni turned and was down the ship's ramp and on the dock before Iroh could comprehend what had happened. Stopping a bare foot away from Zhao, every word from Agni's mouth was laced with malice previously not existent.
“What did you say?”
Zhao met his gaze.
“He's hiding from me. The brat has finally decided to wise up and be afraid of me.”
Agni hissed. “How dare you speak of your prince in such a way?”
Zhao's voice rose in volume and those around stopped and stared. “He is not my prince and never shall be! A worthless disgrace to the Fire Nation, that's all he is!”
“You are a traitor to speak in such a way!”
Iroh was rooted to the spot in pure fear at the growing confrontation. Both men were leaning in towards each other, hands clenched at their sides, anger radiating from them. Flames licked around Agni's fists as Zhao growled in barely controlled fury.
“He is the traitor! A traitor to his country and his class! Siding with peasants! His own father doesn't even want him!”
“THAT'S A LIE!”
Agni lunged at Zhao and was only stopped by Iroh. The poor retired general's strength was put to the test as the Fire God struggled to reach the Admiral.
Agni's voice softened but still held enough venom to put all those present on edge.
“I ought to kill you, dishonored huo. You are the disgrace to the Fire Nation. I myself am ashamed to call you a son of fire!”
A vein twitched in Zhao's face as he ground his teeth in an effort not to murder the arrogant Ryu-Kin on the spot.
“Agni Kai, at sunset. And I will kill you Ryu-Kin.”
Zhao turned on his heel and walked off, flanked by a few of his soldiers who would help him prepare for the Agni Kai.
Iroh was able to release Agni and they both straightened. Angry and frustrated, Iroh turned to the Fire God.
“Do you realize what you've done? If you beat him…”
“And I will, inevitably.”
“The entire city knows! Soon my brother will know you exist!”
Agni looked at him. “Am I to fear Ozai? No. This…Zhao…is only an obstacle, one that will help me achieve my true goal.”
Iroh sighed but Agni grinned.
“Let my game begin.”