Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Prophesied ❯ Secrets of the Spirits ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15: Secrets of the Spirits
The sun rose on a new dawn, shining its light down on the Earth Kingdom town of Sharra. The residents of this modest city were up at the bright orb's first light, the markets beginning anew, those of the men who were earth-benders going to work in the northern mines and those not taking up trades in the market. Women went to their daily work while the children ran around pretending to be soldiers. It was a lovely day.
It was over the hill just south of the town that one of these many children spotted two elk coming. The beasts paused as several of the elder men of the town started up the hill to address the two riders. Many women and children followed these men and it was with great caution that they approached.
The two riders didn't appear to be a threat and as they neared, one suddenly slipped from the back of the elk unconscious, held by his wrists to the beast's neck where he had apparently tied himself to the elk.
The men rushed forward and cut the ropes binding the boy to the elk and gathered him up. The second rider, a girl, was also unconscious and tied to her elk. They were dressed in blue, as those from the Water Tribes, and the people of Sharra didn't hesitate to take them in.

As the sun broke over the Water Temple, Water Sage Qing-Yuan raised her head, her eyes tired. Turning slightly, she motioned for the black clad warrior behind her to speak.
“My lady, we lost the Hiketsu.”
Qing-Yuan sighed. “We cannot afford many more mistakes! If the Four rise and we…”
“The Son of Samir has risen.”
She spun around, beholding the kneeling soldier with wide eyes.
“What?”
“That is how we lost the Hiketsu. It was used against us.”
Qing-Yuan frowned, her brow furrowed. “Then the Four are coming into their birthright.”
“It appears so my lady.”
She seemed to contemplate this for a moment then…
“Well, why are you still here? We must locate the other Heiki before they fall into the wrong hands! And we must identify the other Three. Gods forbid that they too fall into the hands of the Fire Nation.”
The ninja stood and bowed. “Of course my lady.”
He quickly left, and Qing-Yuan sighed. She should've known better than to let the Daughter of Nen escape from her grasp so easily. And then the White Dragon had managed to get free of them. Time was of the essence now.
“Kuna.”
Another black-clad warrior stepped forward.
“Yes my lady?”
“Find the White Dragon and bring him back to me.”
“Yes my lady.”
As he left to summon his men, Qing-Yuan glared at the small crystal around her neck.
“The power of the Four will be mine…very soon.”

Aang woke promptly and stretched; eager to see his own people again. They'd arrived at sunset the previous day and their welcome had been exuberant, so much so that Nakara had squeaked and hidden in Sokka's shirt when the people began to cheer.
Kioko came bursting through the cloth door and grabbed his hand.
“Come on! Everyone wants to meet you!”
Aang ran after Kioko as she raced outside and found that the number of people in this section of the mountain range had tripled with the news of his arrival. It was truly heaven for him after living for a year believing that he was the last air-bender.
Hundreds of air-benders now surrounded him, mimicking his moves and trying to figure out how he did the air scooter. Kioko just kind of hung back and let him handle things while she sat on the shoulders of a tall air-bender named Yato. Aang had met him the night before and it was in his home that they'd spent the night. Yato was Kioko's father.
Sokka seemed to be getting just as much attention from the people as Aang was. The Air Nomads hadn't had any contact with the other races in so long that many of the children had never seen someone with his skin and hair color before. He had to show them how his boomerang worked and spent hours describing the Northern and Southern Water Tribes.
Several older men came and separated Aang from the crowds. Sokka and Kioko quickly joined him as they introduced themselves as Elders, the equivalent of the monks of old. They said they had something to show him.
Yato joined them as they followed the Elders through the markets and villages to one of the mountains. Over time it appeared they had carved a temple into the mountain itself and it was into this temple that the Elders led Aang and company.
Inside was a vast room and in the center stood several stone tables arranged in a circle. The Elders paused in front of this stone circle and faced them.
“Young Avatar, the things we are about to make known to you we do not fully understand ourselves, and that is why we show you. It is your duty to know these things and try to decipher them.”
Aang sighed. `Enough with the duty already!' He nearly screamed, but instead he stepped forward, past the Elders and on to the tables themselves.
There were four tables, angled inward. A circle with a diameter of several feet centered in the space in the middle of the tables and extending many feet past the tables. There was writing covering every inch of the circle save for the tables, and to Aang the writing was as clear as day.
“It's the Prophecy!” he shouted and the Elders stared at him.
“You can read the writing?”
Aang nodded, bending slightly. Kioko bit her lip. “Not even I can read it Aang. How can you?”
Aang shrugged. “I don't know. I'm the Avatar I guess.”
He walked over to the tables and found they all had the same line inscribed into them.
Unite as one the Heiki of the Four
Below this line was an indentation in the stone, but each table bore a depression of a different size and shape, clearly fitted to hold something. Lines ran down the tables from these indentations, onto the floor and forward to form a circle within the tables, the only space not covered in writing.
“What is this place?” He heard someone say, but Aang wasn't quite sure.
He touched several of the characters on the tables and then he looked up. Above them was a great crystal, the size of the mountain itself. Locked within the crystal itself was the silhouette of a dragon.

Jun guided Shirshu back the way they'd come several days before. Rou was asleep, his head resting against her shoulder as they barreled through the woods. Jun knew where she was going, and wouldn't stop until she got there.

Katara woke late the second morning after they'd left the island to Mika's rough tongue on her face. The tiger cub seemed adamant that she awake and she followed Mika up the stairs onto the deck.
Zuko stood at the helm, checking the compass every now and then. He glanced at her when she came up.
“We're making good time today. I think we'll be able to make up for yesterday's calm.”
Katara nodded and stifled a yawn with her hand and Zuko laughed.
“I think we're both currently the victims of real beds.”
Katara laughed and nodded. “All right, if I bring breakfast up here will you take a moment's break?”
Zuko smiled. “Sure.”
Katara smiled and headed down to the galley, mixing them up some breakfast that comprised of thickly sliced bread, salted pemmican, and some fruity cider. When she returned, Zuko was happy enough to lock the wheel and together they sat on the gunwales and ate.
While Zuko was staring off into the distance, munching contently on the sandwich provided, Katara found herself evaluating the changes he'd undergone while on the island.
Since the tigress had torn his shirt to shreds, the sun had deepened the skin of his torso to a modest tan rather than the sickly pale of the Fire Nation. She'd stopped trying to imagine what he'd look like without his scar, for it seemed almost a part of him, especially now since she knew the story behind it. His hair had grown much longer, causing him to have developed a characteristic shake of the head to clear his bangs since the cloth he used to tie it up had long since been lost.
That's when she noticed it; the long locks that had once flowed over his shoulders were gone. His hair was shorter than Jet's had been.
“Zuko…your hair…”
He nodded.
“Why?”
“Because my long hair was a symbol of my status in the Fire Nation and my shaven head was a symbol of my banishment.”
Katara's eyes softened at the pain she saw in his eyes. She supposed what he had done meant more to him than to her, but it was hard just to look into his eyes.
His character had changed as well; she'd noticed this more than ever in the past couple of days since they left the island. His temper, though still there, was more subdued and he seemed to be overall in a better mood. There were so many things she wanted to ask him, like if he was still going to try and capture Aang, but she was afraid to ask, afraid to ruin what she'd started.
It seemed that all he had needed, all he had wanted, was a friend, a position she'd been more than happy to fill. Then he had kissed her, and her world had turned upside down. Now she didn't know what to think, and didn't even know if it meant anything to him.
Zuko shivered. “Are you cold or is it just me?”
This snapped Katara from her thoughts, a piece of bread paused on the way to her mouth. It was chilly, but Zuko was acting like he was freezing. He hadn't even acted like this in the snow back on the island. She could even see the chill bumps rising on his skin.
“It is a bit chilly.”
She put down her bread and reached over to rub his arms, see if she could warm him, but as soon as her hand touched his skin she recoiled sharply. He wasn't just warm now; his skin was hot.
“Zuko, you're sick.”
He wrapped his arms around himself and shook his head. “I'm not.”
Katara sighed. “You're burning up!”
“I'm a…”
“You have a fever! I can't even touch you!”
He shook his head again, now constantly shivering. “I'm not sick.”
And he stood, walking back to the wheel and taking up his post. Katara sighed but didn't press the matter further.

The sun broke in through the window and danced throughout the room, defying all shadows and the sleep the two teenagers were trying to hold on to.
Ziri woke slowly, the pain in his side the first thing he noticed and the fact that he was no longer on Tokul the second. He sat up slowly, taking in the world around him. Both he and Midori were in a clean but nondescript room, the walls earthen. The bed he lay in was modest with clean off-white bedclothes and a dark green blanket over top. Midori's bed was identical across the room, and she was still asleep.
He got to his feet just as slowly, the room spinning slightly when he moved. The air felt cold against his skin and he would like nothing more than to just like in bed but he knew he had to find out where they were, and to make sure that if their father returned, that they had somewhere else to go.
Once outside the bedroom he entered a small hallway and soon found himself in what appeared to be a kitchen. No one else was in there but after he stood there a moment a young girl appearing to be about four came rushing in. She saw him, squealed and ran right back out yelling at the top of her lungs.
“Mommy! Mommy he's awake! The stranger's awake!”
Midori came down the hallway and took his hand in hers.
“Where are we Ziri?”
Ziri shrugged and together they walked outside. They were apparently on the outskirts of a large town, a wide dirt path leading from the group of houses where they were to the city a few paces away.
The girl who had run out had found her mother and was leading her up the path to where they now stood. Other people were gathering as well, mothers and their children and a few men who hadn't yet gone to the city for their day's work. One of these men came up to the two.
“You two were in a bad way when we found you yesterday morning. Where'd you come from and why'd you leave in such a hurry?”
Ziri squeezed Midori's hand before answering. “We came from Cascata, and we left because our abusive father escaped from prison.”
There was a collective gasp in which several of the mothers placed their hands over their hearts. Midori spoke up, her voice strong still even through their ordeal.
“I don't think we should stay long. He might still be looking for us.”
The man's expression hardened. “You'll do no such thing, you'll stay here. Our defenses are the best this side of Omashu and if you need protection they'll give it. Now you just tell us your names and we'll find you a place to stay.”
“I'm Midori, and this is my brother Ziri.”
The man nodded and moved to guide them to the city when one of the mothers spoke up.
“'Ziri'…that's a Fire Nation name.”
Ziri flinched, he couldn't help it, and Midori glared at the woman. When Ziri spoke, his voice was firm though he didn't feel so.
“My parents were Fire Nation, but my mother died giving birth to me and my father…I don't know. I was adopted into Midori's family a year before she was born and days after I myself was. I have never been to the Fire Nation and know nothing of it, so I can say I'm not Fire Nation.”
They all seemed to regard his words for a moment, and Ziri couldn't help but continue, speaking from his heart.
“Laina of the Northern Water Tribe was my mother, and her daughter, Midori, is my sister, and nothing can ever change that.”
Midori nodded, meeting his gaze. This seemed to satisfy the crowds and the man led them again into Sharra.

Jun reached the Water Temple with ease, and she felt sure that the sisters would take the young Rou into their care. She left Shirshu outside the temple and headed in with Rou at her side, the boy babbling nearly continuously in his strange language.
The sisters caught sight of her and they shrunk back for a moment…but then they saw Rou at her side. Only then did Jun realize that Rou had stopped speaking. Glancing at him she saw that he had frozen, and his eyes were wide in fear.
“Rou?”
“Ryuji?”
Jun's head snapped up as a tall woman stepped out of the temple. Her eyes were only for Rou though.
“Ryuji, you've returned to us!”
Rou gave a horrified cry and promptly stepped behind Jun, hiding.
“Rou!” Jun cried. Just as soon as she'd said that, the woman before her held her hand out to Rou and said something in the same strange language that Rou himself spoke.
Rou shook his head when she finished and replied, his grip on Jun tightening. The woman raised her head and looked at Jun; as she did so, the crystal around her neck shone briefly.
“Greetings, bounty hunter Jun, I am Water Sage Qing-Yuan. Why don't you tell Ryuji to come with me?”
Jun's eyes narrowed. “Why?”
“Ryuji…belongs…here with us. He is a special child, and he might hurt himself away from the temple. And what would you want with a boy you can't even understand?”
Rou turned his gaze from Qing-Yuan to Jun, falling to his knees and wrapping his arms around her waist. He began speaking rapidly to her and the Water Sage was right, she didn't understand a word…but she understood the look in his eyes.
“He is very powerful and could hurt you and your pet if left unchecked.”
The look in his eyes was the same as Saeta's that day…

The soldiers had come…she'd known they would.
Where is the boy?”
She turned from the dishes she was washing and walked to the stairs.
Saeta! Come down here please!”
Saeta came bounding down the stairs.
What do you need big sister?”
Then he saw the soldiers and immediately grabbed onto her.
No! No! Please don't let them take me Asiera!”
She pried his hands from her waist.
They're going to teach you how to fire-bend Saeta!”
I don't want to leave you! Don't let them take me!”
The soldiers had him now.
Trust me Saeta. This is for the best.”
He looked at her imploringly. “Asiera…”
She turned her back to him, letting the soldiers carry him out. How could she have known that would be the last time she saw him alive? How could she have known that he would've been killed by a stray fireball? How could she have known that in one instant her entire world would have been shattered?
How could she have known?

“Come with me Ryuji and we will continue your training.”
Qing-Yuan was reaching for Rou when Jun grabbed him and spun him out of her reach, stepping back at the same time.
“No! Don't touch him!”
Qing-Yuan stopped, her eyes narrowing. “I could pay you a great deal if you leave him here.”
How much?
No.
He doesn't mean anything to you.
No.
He's just a child. You can't care for him.
No.
He doesn't even speak our language and he obviously doesn't understand us when we speak.
No.
What harm could there be in letting him stay with them?
“NO!” Jun shouted, and Qing-Yuan was taken back, shock crossing her face.
“Keep your money. If he's as powerful as you say he is, I'm sure the Fire Lord will pay even more for him.”
Qing-Yuan growled angrily, but Jun took Rou's hand in her own. Rou's watery silver eyes stared back at her, misunderstanding in them until she smiled, and then they smiled back at her.
I'll never let anyone take you away again.
“Come, let's go.”
She led Rou back to Shirshu and they were quickly gone.
Qing-Yuan followed them with narrow eyes.
“Kuna.”
“Yes my lady?”
“Follow them and bring him back to me.”
“Yes my lady.”

A young white bird winged through the skies. It had been flying for two days straight but its destination was nearing. The wind left its wings as it closed them, diving down towards the mountains below it. Pulling out of its dive it flew towards the cavern, seeking the boy it was sent to find. It landed on the shoulder of a boy clad in bright colors with a blue arrow on his head.
Aang looked at the bird as it eagerly took to preening, his attention taken from the silhouette of the dragon above him, and he took the scroll tied to the bird's foot. As he read the letter his eyes widened, quite unable to believe what he saw. His head snapped up and his gaze met Sokka's.
“It's from Katara!”
Sokka ran forward and stood beside the young Avatar. “What does it say?”
Aang was grinning. “It says that she and Zuko were trapped on an island, but they're okay.”
“Like we care about him?”
Aang shrugged and continued. “They found a boat and are heading to the North Pole. She's asking us to meet them there.”
“Meet her there; Zuko can take care of himself.”
But Aang was too ecstatic to care about the Fire Nation prince. He let out an exuberant cry and jumped about twelve feet in the air. Kioko smiled but her eyes were sad.
“We have to leave right away! She said it would only take them a couple of days to get there!”
Sokka nodded enthusiastically. “I sure hope Appa's rested!”
“He should be!”
Yato, Kioko's father, laughed. “I think you two should take a moment to breathe. I'm sure your friend is fine, but you need some rest. You just got here.”
Aang smiled but shook his head. “We're fine. Besides, we've got to go! We've been separated from Katara too long.”
“but…”
“Let them go father.”
Yato looked at Kioko and then back at the Elders. “We cannot control the Avatar.”
He looked at Aang. “This is your decision. If you wish to leave, we will help you prepare for the journey.”
And so they were set. Aang and Sokka left the cavern without a second thought and the others were behind them. Soon only Kioko was left within. She air-bended up to the dragon and placed a hand on the encasing crystal.
The dragon's eyes were closed, but she could feel its emotions.
“You seem so sad.”
It didn't move and she sighed.
“Who trapped you here? Why didn't you break free?”
She looked closer and now she could tell, even through the amethyst crystal, the dragon was pure white.

Iroh and his crew arrived at Shian at daybreak, and he sought the inn named in the letter. The paper itself was clutched in his hand as if he needed it to ensure the reality of his situation. But it wasn't until he saw her standing by the inn that he truly believed.
Before he could think twice, Iroh had closed the distance between them and drawn the former Fire Lady into a tight embrace. She returned the affection earnestly.
“Ursa,” he managed to get out. “I thought you were dead.”
She shook her head. “I'm sorry you thought so, but it wasn't true. The Great Lord Agni took me from that place and gave me a new life in the Earth Kingdom. Much has happened since you last saw me Lord Iroh.”
They parted and he shook his head. “No formalities now my dear. We are no longer Fire Nation royalty.”
She motioned to the inn. “Come, we have much to speak of, and little I can say out here.”
So Iroh followedUrsa into the inn, never knowing how much this simple conversation would change his life.

When Katara returned to Zuko a second time, she found him resting against the wheel. Now she couldn't even convince herself he wasn't sick. He was pale, his chest heaving as he panted for breath. When she touched him he leaned into her, her cool embrace heaven to him.
“Come Zuko, you need to lie down.”
He made no effort to stop her as she guided him below deck and helped him lie down on the bed.
“You rest Zuko, I'll take care of things.”
He nodded slightly, a sweat forming on his brow. She laid a hand on his forehead, suppressing a hiss at the temperature. His fever was much too high; she had to find something to bring it down.
Katara searched through the cabinets and boxes, seeking something, anything, which might help bring his fever down. Finally she found some herbs that might help. She quickly pressed them and poured some cool water over the herbs, and held the cup to his lips.
“Drink this Zuko, it will make you feel better.”
He mumbled something unintelligible but drank her concoction easily. Katara poured some more cold water over a cloth and placed it on Zuko's forehead, trying to make him comfortable before she had to return above deck. They were entering the ice flats and she couldn't take the risk that no one was guiding the ship.
“Mika, watch him.”
Whether the tiger cub understood on not, Katara didn't know, but she had to do something.
“I'll return, Zuko, I promise.”

Ziri was in a good mood as he and Midori walked back towards their new home. He had gotten an apprenticeship to a blacksmith because he could apparently stand heat well, so he could manage the forge. Midori had taken up a small job as a seamstress with several of the women of the town.
The air was cool as they headed back to their house when Ziri stopped, placing a hand on his forehead. Midori frowned.
“What's wrong Ziri?”
He shook his head. “I don't know. I feel…faint almost. I feel dizzy.”
She put a hand on his shoulder to steady him as he wavered slightly.
“You don't have a fever.” She said after placing a hand over his forehead.
He shrugged. “Are you hot Midori?”
“Ziri, it's freezing out here!”
He was fanning his face; he felt he was surrounded with searing heat.
“I think I need to lie down.”
Midori's frowned deepened and her brow furrowed.
“I agree. Come on, I'll help you.”

Jun knew they were being followed, a tight sixth sense in the back of her mind. She urged Shirshu to a run and they tore through the forest. Rou sat in front of her, enveloped by her arms, and he had wrapped his arms around her waist, his eyes tightly closed. What had she gotten herself into?
“Who are you?” She shouted above the wind. Rou replied in the same strange language and she gritted her teeth, determined to make it away from the Temple and forget that she had meant to leave him there, the same as when she'd meant to let the soldiers come and take Saeta away.
The difference was she'd left with Rou, and Saeta had died. She wouldn't let the past repeat itself.
Without warning, hundreds of black-clad warriors leapt from the trees and surrounded them. Shirshu reared up onto his back legs, catching Jun off guard and throwing them both to the ground. Jun rolled instantly to protect Rou with her body, and he gave a frightened squeal, babbling quickly in his language.
Jun leapt to her feet, drawing a skull-hilted sword and cracking her whip once. She planted her feet on either side of Rou's body, prepared to fight for him. The warriors surrounded her, and they began to fight.
Rou gave a frightened cry as Shirshu and Jun took out as many of the soldiers as they could. None of them would attack him, but they knew that he didn't know how to fight. He watched as they wrapped chains around Shirshu and bound him to the ground.
Jun fought bravely on for several more minutes but finally she was caught. A warrior had a knife to her throat.
“Now drop the sword and the whip.”
She did so, her eyes flashing in anger. The warrior maneuvered her in front of where Rou lay cringing upon the ground.
“All right now Ryuji.”
He flinched again and the warrior flowed smoothly into the ancient language.
“Dousovi su.” Come with us.
“Nai!” Rou shouted back, his eyes shining dangerously.
“Dousovi su yih lefael sprie.” Come with us or the girl dies.
Rou's mouth fell open and he weakly shook his head.
“Nai, siplait n'spri fa.” No, please don't kill her.
“Dousovi su.”
“No Rou!”
His head jerked up, tears in his eyes as he met her gaze.
“No. Go Rou! Run! I can take care of myself!”
If she only knew he was safe, then things would be all right. “Go Rou.”
That was it. Rou's eyes narrowed in anger and he stood up straight, his eyes glaring into the warrior's. The warrior, Kuna, stared back in fear, truly frightened of what he had provoked.
The characters around Rou's wrists and ankles began to glow, and the wind around them began to blow. Kuna immediately let go of the girl, pushed her away, and stepped away from her, his hands held up in surrender, but it was too late.
Jun sat up from where she had fallen and looked towards Rou, but all she saw where he once stood was a bright light in the outline of a human figure. This figure looked at her, their eyes met, and she fainted.

Aang wandered back into the cavern to find Kioko staring at the dragon meditatively.
“Kioko, are you coming with us?”
“I don't think so Aang.”
A sharp wind blew into the cavern and without warning the dragon's eyes opened, pure white light shining from beneath its lids. Kioko gave a cry of surprise and fell from her place on the crystal. Aang stepped forward and caught her and they both stared in awe at the dragon. It did not move, but its eyes shone all the more brightly.
They stood there until they both lost track of time, consumed in the presence of the dragon, feeling its power that was never released towards them, the light growing in brightness until they were more a part of it than watching it.
Then it was gone. Aang and Kioko blinked in the sudden darkness, and they both blushed upon realizing how close they stood together. Aang stuttered and nearly ran out, leaving Kioko to stand by herself and gaze by up at the dragon, now dormant once more.

Jun woke slowly, the skies dark overhead. What had happened? The last thing she remembered was…
“Rou!”
She stood up quickly and looked around. The clearing appeared unharmed; not a single blade of grass out of place, but then she saw Rou. He was over by Shirshu, pulling the chains off the great beast. He turned and met her gaze and smiled, waving happily. She waved back, and then she saw them.
Every dark warrior that had been standing when she had fainted was dead. She stepped to the nearest one. Not a mark lay on the man, but there was no way she could say he was living. And Jun knew without a doubt that all the others were like this as well.
Rou walked over to her, placing a hand on her shoulder.
“Iu obsefrim?”
She looked up and smiled at him. “Look now, we need to find a compromise between our languages.”
He just smiled back and she decided to start with their names.
“You are Ryuji?” She said, reverting back to what they had called him.
He shook his head, his expression dark. “Nai, Rou.”
She couldn't help the tears that sprung to her eyes. He wanted the name she'd given him, not the name he'd grown up with. She nodded, dipping her head to hide the tears. When she was better, she stood and met his gaze. Touching a hand to his chest, she said simply.
“Rou.”
He nodded, and she placed a hand on her own chest.
“Jun.” She then repeated the process.
“Rou. Jun.”
He placed a hand on her chest. “Asiera.”
Jun stared at him, her eyes wide. “No. Jun.”
He shook his head and tapped her chest none too gently. “Asiera.”
“No Asiera. Jun.”
He tilted his head before nodding. “Jun.”
Jun smiled and nodded. Rou laughed and took her hand.
“Su douso Jun.”
She laughed. “We'll figure the rest of it out later now won't we?”
He shrugged and Jun took on the impossible task of teaching Rou to speak English.

Ursa motioned for Iroh to sit once they'd entered her room. He took the chair while she sat gently on her bed. Iroh was full of bubbling questions but she wasn't quite ready to speak. After a moment of silence, she handed him a piece of paper filled with her delicate writing.
“That is what's called the Prophecy of Four Iroh.”
Iroh read through the Prophecy and his eyes caught on one line.
If the Son of Agni rides with his sire
“Ursa, I have a question to ask you.”
He didn't quite know how to phrase his question but she seemed to know what he needed to ask anyway.
“Iroh, do you know that Zuko is the Son of Agni?”
He looked at her and suddenly began laughing. “Yes, I know that. Did you know that I am the grandson of Agni?”
Instantly Ursa began laughing as well. “That I didn't know!”
They waited a few minutes for their mirth to subside beforeUrsa gave a great sigh and met Iroh's gaze.
“There is something I must make known to you Iroh, something only I and one other know, and now you, and it has a great deal to do with Zuko.”
Iroh looked at her expectantly, but gave her a moment as she gathered her words and her strength. Ursa took a deep breath reminiscent of a child about to plunge off a cliff.
“There was another Iroh.”
He didn't quite understand her and she gave an exasperated sigh at his puzzled expression.
“Twins, Iroh, twins!”
He drew in a sharp breath, his eyes wide.
“The Great Lord Agni gave me twins!”
Iroh was speechless fro several minutes, his acute mind trying to understand how much this one fact affected.
“Ursa, that means…”
“…that there are…”
“…two Sons of Agni, two of Fire to fulfill the Prophecy.”
Ursa wrung her hands, biting her lip and staring at the floor.
“Iroh, I am going to return to Kyoshi. I am getting married.”
Iroh's eyes narrowed. “Does he make you happy?”
Ursa smiled.
“Why does everyone ask me that? Yes, I am very happy with Damek.”
He touched her hand gently. “We're just trying to protect you.”
Ursa glanced up worriedly but there was nothing but fondness, a brotherly love, in his eyes. She smiled and squeezed his hand.
“I need you to do something for me Iroh.”
“Yes, what it is?”
“I need you to find Zuko's twin. He needs to know who he is.”
Iroh nodded. “I'll find him. Don't worry.”
He started to walk out, ecstatic to have a new mission. Ursa's voice followed him.
“His name is Ziri.”