Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Prophesied ❯ Before the Sun Sets ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

He who has nothing to die for has nothing to live for. -Moroccan Proverb
There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls. -George Carlin

Chapter 19: Before the Sun Sets
Damek was the only one waiting at the dock when the ship arrived.Ursa rushed happily into his arms, feeling secure for the first time in so long.
“Did you take care of what you needed to take care of?” he inquired.
She nodded against his chest, smiling softly as he ran his hands over her hair. But just as suddenly as her world had come together did a single piece of it fall away. Her mind had just been about to supply the fact that she had never loved anyone as much as she loved Damek, but her heart stopped it before it formed.
The problem was that she had loved someone as much as she loved Damek. She had loved someone much more than she loved him. But things had gone wrong and she'd decided that they were just not meant to be.
Pushing these thoughts from her mind, she huddled deeper into Damek and he tightened his arms around her, thinking that she had missed him. The truth was that she had barely thought of him while she was gone. Her hands burned, remembering the slightest touch of his hand on hers.
Tears formed in her eyes and she gritted her teeth, pushing them back. It would never be, she had stopped loving him a long time ago.

Iroh watched the waves as they rolled by, listening to the ship as it took them closer to the land of his birth. He was so tired, tired of the war and of everything. He couldn't stop thinking of Zuko, and of Agni, and of her.

Flashback…

The Agni Odouri is alwaysmy favorite part of the Fire Nation Festival, but tonight seems particularly perfect.
This was the thought of the eighteen-year old Prince Iroh. His younger brother Ozai was a few feet away, sulking in the shadows.
“Come on Ozai! You're missing the fun!”
“Hn, that's not fun.”
Ozai had been looking all night for some way to mess his brother's day up, but nothing could break Iroh out of this mood.
Iroh danced among the commoners, danced by himself, danced with others, and they laughed, sharing his good mood. Then the dancer on the stage changed and Iroh stopped, mesmerized.
The girl was beautiful, the red silk complementing her perfectly as the gauzy fabric tied to her wrists floated around her. The flames licked nearer to her, but she never hesitated, though the fire was clearly not her own. It was rare for a non-bender to become a skilled Agni Odouri dancer, but she had.
Iroh was entranced. When the girl's dance was over, he dug through his purse to find the coin he wanted. While others tossed copper coins to the girl, he tossed a gold piece.

The firelight caught on the gold piece making it shine as it fell perfectly on target at her feet. While her sisters clambered for the coins, she quickly snatched the gold piece before they did. Her eyes scanned the crowd until they fell on the dark-haired prince. He smiled at her and then disappeared.
She quickly fell back behind the curtain and then darted off to find the prince. When she finally stumbled back across him, he was standing on a balcony overlooking the palace gardens.
“My lord,”
He turned around and smiled at her. “Come, watch the fireworks.”
At his words, the sky lit with the first of the fiery creations. She stepped forward shyly, his gold piece clutched to her scantily clad chest. Upon reaching his side, she shoved her fist forward as she turned to face him, her face downcast.
He looked at her closed fist then at her. “What?”
“Your gold piece.”
“I gave it to you.”
She shook her head. “It's too much. I don't deserve it.”
He tilted his head. “What coin people give is a representation of how the dance affected them. In my eyes, you do deserve it.”
She said nothing, and after a moment, he closed his hand around her wrist and pushed her arm back to her chest.
“The coin is yours.”
She said nothing, and he turned back the fireworks.
“Beautiful aren't they?”
She said nothing. He turned and saw the distraught look on her face, and sighed.
“If you still feel you don't deserve it then let me get my money's worth right here, right now.”
Her head snapped up, searching his eyes for perverse intent, and upon finding none, her gaze became inquisitive rather than defensive.
He held out a hand. “Dance with me.”
She smiled. Not dance for me, but dance withme.
She took his hand and, as she had still been holding the gold piece, it was now pressed between their hands. He pulled her closer, placing her free hand on his shoulder and then laying his hand on her waist.
And they danced by the light of the moon and to the music of the stars.

End Flashback

Iroh sighed. Things had been so perfect, and then they'd gone so wrong. That horrid day so soon after the best night of his life had torn his heart apart. He shoved these thoughts away and thought of his nephew, who needed him now more than ever. Besides, he'd stopped loving her a long time ago.

“I didn't think that there were such things as shadow-benders.”
Eimin smirked and sipped the hot wine the young goddess had provided for their meal. Keilantra watched him, completely ignoring the food and drink, constantly wary of the god of death.
“There aren't really shadow-benders. I use the term loosely.”
Keilantra's eyes narrowed. “I suggest you elaborate.”
Eimin smiled and waved his hand. “You most of all should know that shadow and darkness can be thought of as an element. It's…”
Keilantra sighed. “Yes, I know. There are five elements, water, earth, fire, air, and spirit. Spirit can be divided into light and darkness, or shadow. But I've never heard of a spirit bender, unless you count the gods.”
Eimin's smile grew. “Yes. You know, before Shiroten joined me, he was a happy earth-bender in some nameless village in the Southern Earth Kingdom. When he came to me, I could barely stand to be in his presence.”
“You took the light of his soul.”
“Yes.”
Keilantra looked away. “I can't…how dare you Eimin, of all things…”
Eimin's smile disappeared and he stared into his now empty cup, his brow furrowed in contemplation. For a moment, something like regret passed his eyes, and then he merely continued.
“When I took his light, he became something other than human, his spirit torn apart. Without his light, he was nothing but shadow. I believe he can wield the darkness because he is part of it.”
Keilantra nodded before a single tear fell from her eye.
“I can't imagine someone solely composed of darkness. Even I, even you, have a small amount of light in our souls. You know that without his light…”
“Yes, I know.” Eimin said softly. “Without his light, Shiroten will die.”
“It doesn't matter to you does it?”
Eimin paused. “No.”
Keilantra shook her head before standing and walking out of the tent. Eimin didn't even look up when she left, now speaking more to himself than to her.
“My son was born to be a tool, but he has proven himself more useful than I planned him to be. He will be a great asset to my plans, and when he dies, his spirit will be reabsorbed into my soul. I cannot lose.”
He stood, draped the red silk cape around his shoulders, and stepped out into the setting sun. Today, he had a specific mission.
“Captain Fai.”
“Yes Admiral Min?”
“You are to lead the men to the rendezvous point. I will join you there.”
A large black stallion pranced in the hands of a soldier. Horses were much faster than Komodo Rhinos for fast traveling, and he had much distance to cover. Mounting easily, Eimin spun the horse around and took off towards the north.

Shiroten knelt at the edge of the cliff and sighed. He surveyed the raging river below, the water goddess lost in its flow. He would have to be a fool to follow her into her home element, and so he straightened.
“Revel in your false sense of freedom, goddess Shasa.” He said simply.
Glancing up, his brow furrowed. “The sun will soon set, and no matter how much water you can find, nothing will save you from this night, for then I will not have to waste my energy blocking the sun.”
He turned and stepped into the woods, letting the shield of shadow against the sky shrink with his departure.
“Ji-Kan!”

The two-headed dragon froze inches from Jet's head. The rebel stared into the dragon's maw as it roared in frustration. Lifting him easily, Ji-Kan flung him into a tree and then flew to his master.

Landing lightly, Kan pushed his head into Shiroten's hand. Shiroten found his cloak and pulled it on as the setting sun burst into full view. He then climbed into the saddle and took up the dragon's reins.
“We will rest before nightfall.”
Ji-Kan hissed his approval before taking to the skies, winging towards the darkening east.

The waterfall emptied into a vast lake which fueled a large river. This river ran swiftly for several miles until a section of it branched into a small stream. This small stream ran downhill to provide the main source of water for a small Earth Kingdom mining town, recently liberated from the Fire Nation when the town's earth-benders returned from imprisonment.
Now, by the stream, a young earth-bender practiced his bending, having finished his chores. Once his bending had to have been hidden, a secret art, but now, thanks to the words of a young water-bender, his talent was free to express itself.
He picked up a light boulder easily and with one smooth motion he sent it crashing across the stream. It was only then that he noticed something in the water. Upon closer inspection, he found it was a woman dressed in blue. He pulled her out of the stream and checked to make sure she was still breathing.
Seeing blood on her skirt, he quickly gathered her into his arms and ran back to the village with her, seeking medical aid.

Returning to the conscious world, Shasa stirred slightly as she opened her eyes to find herself lying on a reed mat, covered by a thick dark green blanket, in what appeared to be a comfortable Earth Kingdom home. An older woman was washing clothes nearby.
She sat up, revealing the dark green clothes she wore, slightly too large for her and clearly having belonged to a man.
The door opened, admitting an elder man and his dark-haired son. The boy smiled at her. Judging by his frame, they were his clothes that she was wearing. She gratefully returned his smile.
The elder man disappeared deeper inside the home after a kind word to the woman and the boy fetched a small pitcher of water and a few other things.
“Water?” He offered as he poured her a cup of the crystalline water.
She nodded and enthusiastically gulped the water that he gave her. He refilled her cup without hesitation and let her drink her fill. She watched over the rim of her cup as he stood and helped the woman, his mother, hang the wet clothes up outside to dry. Shasa recognized her own blue dress among them.
When the boy returned, she had wrapped the blanket around her, suddenly chilled in fear of asking. He knelt beside her.
“Mother says supper will be ready soon if you are hungry. It isn't much, but we just got rid of the Fire Nation. By the way, my name's Haru.”
Shasa smiled. “Thank you for your kindness, Haru.”
He waved a hand nonchalantly. “It wasn't a big deal. I couldn't just leave you there now could I? But it was a good thing I found you. Mother says that if it had been a few minutes later, you might've lost the baby.”
Shasa's eyes widened. “Might've?” she gasped out, a hand flying to her stomach. “I thought surely…but…no?”
Haru shook his head. “No. Our village healer says that the baby is fine and with rest, so will you be.”
Shasa's body shuddered once and then she flung her arms around Haru and sobbed with relief.

Jun acknowledged the setting sun with a watchful gaze. Rou glanced up from his place in the saddle as she pulled the shirshu to a stop, and then returned to twirling a scroll between his fingers, his gaze captured by the darkening sky.
She turned in her place and viewed the boy in the saddle behind her, except he was no longer a boy. As if escaping the Water Temple had released some hidden part of him, Rou had grown in every way imaginable during the past few weeks.
He was now a few inches taller than her, his face and body much more mature, and the clothes that were now much too small for him only made him seem larger. His hair was much longer, now falling around his shoulders and around the face that had once looked only to her for protection now showed some semblance of wisdom eons beyond her comprehension.
The kanji around his wrists and ankles stood out against his fair skin, not quite as pale as the Fire Nation but not as dark as the Earth Kingdom, marks of the power he could summon at his will, power that could steal the life of those he chose. She still didn't know all the secrets behind this.
Qing-Yuan had been right about him being special, being powerful. She had been wrong when she said that Rou could hurt her. Jun smirked now as she recalled the encounter. When the Sage had spoken of Rou's gift, she'd spoken as if he possessed something far beyond his control. Nothing was further from the truth. Rou knew exactly what he was capable of.
She tilted her head and pulled herself back to reality.
“We should set up camp.”
Rou sat up, his thick silver hair falling into his eyes, casting them into shadow, but not even this slight darkness could mar the nearly white orbs whose gaze he now cast towards her with a slight tilt of his head.
“You sure? There's a little time before sunset, we could go a bit further.”
Jun nearly smiled. There was another sign of Rou's ability. He had grasped the common language as if it were his native tongue, though he still intermittently used words of his own language, claiming that he didn't like that particular word in her tongue. She'd been informed that his language was the `ancient' language, used by mythical creatures and the gods.
Rou blinked. “Why are you looking at me like that?”
“Just thinking about how much you've changed.” Jun offered unwillingly and Rou waited for her to continue. “Well, for starters, you never questioned my choice to stop for the night.”
He shrugged. “I don't like darkness. But tonight, the Ki-lin are dancing.”
“Ky-lin?”
“I don't like your words for them. It's so childish.”
Jun sighed exasperatedly. “Can you say it once so I know what you're talking about?'
Rou leaned back on his hands and regarded her for a moment before relenting.
“All right. The word for the Ki-lin in your tongue is `unicorn.'”
“Unicorns?” Jun said incredulously, her tone layered with ill disguised disgust and Rou gave an exasperated sigh.
“See? The image your memory gives you is of those innocent and helpless creatures that children draw up in their fragile imaginations. Real Ky-lin are nothing like that. They are fierce and proud. Their purity is of fire, ethereal and very precarious.”
His gaze ventured up to the slowly appearing moon.
“They will dance tonight, a dance as old as time itself, and I want you to see it. You'll never get another chance.”
Jun turned back around and snapped her whip, sending the shirshu on into the forest.
“Just tell me when to stop Rou.”
Rou nodded, his eyes still on the moon. They'd been running for a moment when Jun felt his hand over hers. Her head snapped up to find him right beside her.
“Rou…”
“I'll guide him. You'll never find the place in time.”
She unconsciously nodded and let him slide into her place. Shirshu gave an extra large leap just at her point of most unbalance and Jun nearly fell forward into the saddle, reaching her hand out to stop herself. She stopped a few inches above the saddle and looked back.
Rou had caught her, his arm wrapped around the front of her waist, and her grasping hand had latched onto the front of his shirt. The scene would've been romantic if they hadn't been on the back of a shirshu that was leaping through the woods.
As Jun settled back into the saddle and Rou guided Shirshu through the ever-changing forest, she found herself wondering once more just what her little Rou was, and what gift the gods had seen fit to bestow her with by just allowing her his presence.
With this thought, Jun drifted off to sleep.

After Zuko was taken care of and had fallen into a healing sleep rather than the discordant state of unconsciousness, Katara, Sokka, and Aang headed out into the elegant tundra that was the Northern Water Tribe.
Katara smiled and listened quietly while Aang recounted everything that had happened to them since they had parted, and Sokka just kept an arm around her as if he would never let her out of his sight again.
When Aang was done and at his prompting, Katara calmly described her experience on the island with Zuko, while leaving out certain parts about a certain night. She also left out the event behind Zuko's scar.
When she was done, Aang's brow was furrowed and Sokka was looking out into space.
“What?” Katara inquired, taken back by their somewhat foul expressions.
“Do you know why Zuko just suddenly decided to join us?”
“Of course I...” Without warning, Katara just stopped, her mouth slightly parted, still forming the next word she was going to say, but something had occurred to her.
Yes, Zuko had stopped fighting with her, rarely said anything condescending or insulting, had lived in the Northern Water Tribe for over a week and helped fight against his own nation, but he had never said that he would stop seeking to capture Aang or even join them on their travels.
Katara bit her lip, staring at the swirling water below her feet. She had never thought that Zuko might not accompany them, but if he still wanted, no, needed to capture Aang, then how could he? She couldn't imagine life without him now. He was as much a part of her as Sokka and Aang were; a piece of her spirit was bound to him.

Zuko stared at the ceiling of the hut, his heart pounding raggedly in his chest.
Now I've killed even more Fire Nation soldiers…
Why don't you just give up? You know you won't get back into the Fire Nation now.
Yes I know, Azula will rule.
Azula. Now that was a name he didn't utter often. A silly fight had driven t his wall between them, and then it hadn't mattered anymore.
He rolled over on his side, and then stood. Azula wasn't a piece of his life anymore.
I don't give up because…it would hurt her.
He went outside to find her.

“Katara?”
She shook her head lightly. “I really don't know, because I don't know what he's going to do.”
Sokka just stared at her. “What do you mean? I mean he just saved the entire Northern Water Tribe by himself, if he's not on our side then who's side is he on?”
“That's a complicated answer and the truth, Sokka, is that I really don't know.”
The three of them spun around to see Zuko calmly standing behind them. Katara smiled and leapt up.
“Zuko! Are you feeling all right?”
He returned her smile. “Never better.”
She didn't need to know it was a lie. He could tell in her eyes that she was eager to change the conversation and he spoke quickly to prevent this from happening.
“I am sure that I don't know which side I am on, so I believe it is safe to say I am on no one's side. But you are my friend, Katara, and I will fight beside you.”
It was the simplest declaration, and Katara caught every hidden meaning those words. She was the tie that bound Zuko to his goodness, and Shasa forbid that she take it from him.
Sokka nodded simply, accepting this. It was clear what Zuko had said. Though he had not denounced his heritage, he had stated that he was no longer their enemy. Only time would tell from here.
Aang was still staring forward, and looking back, Katara noticed he wasn't blinking, only staring at the water flowing with something new in his eyes that she'd never seen in him before. His face was contorted in something that looked almost like he did in the Avatar State. In fact she found herself waiting to see the blue glow emanating from him.
Zuko looked at the young Avatar, and unlike Katara, he could recognize the emotion rampaging over the child. Alem knew he'd seen it enough. It was pure unfounded hatred.
“Zuko, who is the Son of Agni?”
The question caught him off-guard. He'd been expecting a full out accusation geared towards him and things he hadn't, and had, done. For a moment, Zuko stared blankly at the Avatar who was now glaring at him with storm gray eyes, before wracking his memory for an answer.
“The only son of Agni that I can think of is Nuri.”
Aang's eyes lit up. “And who is that?”
“He was the first Fire Lord.”
Aang cursed, Katara and Zuko stared, and Sokka flinched. Zuko felt a flicker of fear as that angry gaze turned back towards him.
“Are you sure? You can't think of any others, closer to this time?”
Zuko shook his head and Katara placed a calming hand on Aang's shoulder. It was then that she noticed he'd grown several inches until they were the same height. Aang turned and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her into a tight embrace.
“It's something Shasa said, that you belonged to…to…”
Aang didn't continue, instead tightening his grip on Katara and she closed her eyes, suddenly blatantly aware that she had barely thought of Aang during their time apart and he had obviously pined for her. Aang then pulled back slightly and kissed her.
Sokka looked away, but Zuko couldn't. Time…and his heart…had stopped when Katara closed her eyes and kissed…that…child…back.
I should've known I should've known I should've known
That ungrateful…
I should've known I should've known I should've known
insensitive…
I should've known I should've known I should've known
unethical barbaric
I should've…you…shut up.
disgusting…
I said SHUT UP!
Sokka looked up and suddenly was taken aback by the look of pure shock on Zuko's face. The prince must've felt his gaze for he quickly masked it and motioned to Sokka for them both to leave. The two walked away side by side, leaving Katara and Aang to have some time by themselves.
Even though he felt surely otherwise, Sokka managed to convince himself by the third fireball that Zuko threw in the frozen field of tundra about a mile from the city that the prince's look at that kiss had been purely shock and not something else…like heartbreak.

Jet slowly woke, and pushed himself into a sitting position before he stopped to think about the consequences, but they showed up fast. A blinding pain shot through his back and a hand flew back to the source of the pain. Drawing his hand away, it was covered in blood.
“Damn.”
The wound must've opened again. Silently he cursed this crutch as he struggled to his feet and viewed the clearing. A startled and unbidden gasp burst from him as his eyes settled on a crumpled pile of red cloth.
“Azula!”
He raced over to her limp form, ignoring the shattering pain from his back. He turned her over and stared into her normally pristine face, now covered in dirt and bruises, her eyes closed.
“Azula!” He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her up, only then noticing the wound in her shoulder. The dragon's spike had pierced clean through.
“Azula, wake up! Open your eyes!”
She remained unresponsive, and she wasn't breathing.
“Damn you bitch!”
He laid her back down, and leaned in, desperate to force life into her deflated lungs.
Azula's eyes snapped open as he was bare inches from her mouth.
SMACK
“PERVERT! HOW DARE YOU ATTEMPT SUCH A THING!”
“I WAS TRYING TO SAVE YOUR LIFE!”
“MY LIFE DIDN'T NEED SAVING!”
“IT DID FROM MY POINT OF VIEW!”
Azula would have retorted but she'd just noticed the pain emanating from the debilitating wound in her shoulder. She hissed, feeling her inner fire burn away any contaminants, but she was still losing a lot of blood.
When she looked up again, Jet had taken his shirt off and was kneeling in front of her.
SMACK
“What are you trying to do now baka!”
SMACK
Azula stared forward, away from Jet, her head forced sideways by the force of his blow, but her mind was more shocked than her body.
He…he slapped me…
You deserved it.
But he…retaliated. He fought back…
But you still deserved it.
A jolt of pain brought her back to reality. Turning her head around, she saw Jet using his shirt to tie off her wound. She hissed in pain once more as he knotted the cloth. After a few moments, she felt the blood flew lessen and then stop all together.
“Jet…”
He stood without looking at her. As he did so, she noticed the bandages around his torso were bathed in blood.
“Come on princess.” His voice was laced with pain.
“I hope wherever you were headed is nearby, for you aren't going to make it far with that wound, and I'm not carrying you.”
Azula smirked, pulling herself to her feet.
“Like you could carry me with your back like that.”
She turned and started off in the direction of the former city of Omashu.
“It's your fault my back is like this.”
She smiled, and so it continued.

Sokka watched the Fire Prince train, seeing the frustration in his eyes if something didn't turn out quite right. This was the Zuko he knew, not the Zuko he'd seen back there with Katara.
“Zuko, are you really all right?”
Zuko froze in his position, one arm outstretched in front of him, but no fire came this time. He straightened and looked at Sokka.
“What do you mean?”
“When Katara asked if you were all right, you said `never better.' I think you lied.”
Zuko stared at the ground in front of him, his eyes dark.
“You don't understand.”
Sokka sighed. “You're right, I don't. I don't like you Zuko, you're a fire-bender, completely ignoring the fact that you've been trying to kill us, but Katara expects me to trust you. How can we be comrades, even friends, if you won't be truthful to us?”
“I never tried to kill you. I wouldn't do that.”
Sokka stared at him and Zuko continued.
“You see, you don't understand. You label all fire-benders that same way, probably because of what happened to your mother.”
Sokka leapt up, drawing his boomerang. “How dare you speak about my mother!”
Zuko looked at him and Sokka stepped back out of his aggressive stance, shocked once more by the look the Fire Prince wore.
“I lost my mother too, Sokka, when I was six. She committed suicide rather than live with my father.”
Zuko looked down.
“I grew up in that pain, that anger. I saw it in my mother's eyes but she always hid it with a smile. I thought she loved me and Azula, but then she left.”
Sokka sheathed his boomerang and took a step towards the prince as Zuko wrapped his arms around himself and turned away.
“All my life, people have been leaving me. My mother was only the first, but then my sister, my father…my father banished me because he was ashamed of me and my uncle…” He froze, thinking of his uncle, and then said nothing. “Katara promised to stay with me, and I almost can believe she genuinely cares about me.”
Sokka placed a hand on his shoulder but Zuko barely acknowledged it.
“But now I'm afraid that I'm going to wake up after only seeing the beginning of my dream…a dream where…”
He paused, and then shook his head. “This will never be reality.”
“But this is reality Zuko. You know, you and I aren't that different after all.”
Zuko looked at him and Sokka smiled.
“3 years ago, my father left the Southern Water Tribe to fight in the war, and when he left me, I was sure it was because I wasn't a strong enough warrior yet. So I worked hard to become what he expected.”
Zuko stared at him, mouth slightly agape.
“3 years?”
“Yes, but after a while, I realized something.”
Their eyes met.
“I realized that my father was proud of me no matter what I did. And I'm sure that…”
“I know what you are going to say. You want to say that you're sure that my father is proud of me merely because I am his son. You truly know nothing of the Fire Nation.”
Zuko, having looked away after stating this, now turned back to Sokka.
“We share a dream Sokka, but you will get yours before I ever get mine. 3 years ago…you were fourteen right?”
Sokka nodded.
“3 years…3 years ago, instead of doing what was expected and following law and tradition, I spoke out against the mindless slaughter of innocent people. 3 years ago, I was banished from the Fire Nation until I had captured the Avatar.”
“No way. Then that's why…”
“Yes. You see Sokka, Fire Lord Ozai cares nothing for the fact that I am his son.”
“That's impossible. No father could care nothing about his son.”
Flames formed around Zuko's fists as he lunged at Sokka.
“Do you want my proof?” he shouted. “Look at my face!”
Sokka stared at him. “What?”
“3 years, Sokka, 3 years ago I was scarred by fire, scarred by my own father, and now he was to capture me and imprison me so I can never shame him again.”
Zuko turned away, towards the never ending tundra.
“We both dream of our father's acceptance, but you will receive yours when you run back to the city and find that your father is there, and run into his open and welcoming arms. I will never receive mine.”
Then he walked away.

Samir and Mamoru left the village that had been their home for the past week. The Air God had a huge smile on his face as he patted the neck of the ostrich he was riding.
“How kind of the villagers to give us these. I'm naming mine Dao.”
Mamoru rolled his eyes and clicked the bird into a faster pace which Samir easily followed.
“Remember why we're out here?”
“Of course. It's to find my son!”
“Right, and to find Zuko and tell him that he's the Son of Agni.”
“I know, I know, stop rolling the same stuff around in my head like a rock.”
“I am an Earth God, what do you expect?”
“Sincerity, stability, strength, and the knowledge of when to shut up.”
“And from an Air God, I expect unpredictability, rashness, uncouthness, and an uncanny attraction to any and all animals. So I guess you're query is fulfilled.”
Samir frowned before throwing an airball at the back of Mamoru's head then snapped away from him as Mamoru turned around and glared at him. He looked back innocently.
“What?”
Mamoru sighed then turned back around; urging the bird to a faster pace and the two disappeared into the forest path.

It had been over a week Ziri determined, over a week since he'd seen sunlight and smelled fresh air. His wounds had healed thanks to an imprisoned water-bender, but still his body ached. Zade and the others hadn't taken well to the fact that he claimed he was not this Prince Zuko, and had decided to beat the truth out of him. They hadn't given up yet, but how could he admit a truth that wasn't true?
Slowly, he pushed himself up onto his hands and knees. Instead of the warm infirmary, he was now trapped in a cold cell, no light save for the waning candle by the guard, a light that might as well have been a thousand lives away. Sitting back, Ziri rubbed his hands together and blew on them, watching his breath freeze in the air. Did they purposely keep it cold down here?
He didn't realize he'd said this out loud until the guard responded.
“It's cold to make it harder for you to fire-bend.”
“I don't know how to fire-bend.”
“Right, and I'm really the insane Earth King Bumi.”
Ziri looked up and peered at the guard. “No, he's smarter than you.”
“Why you little…”
The door opened, preventing the guard from murdering him. Zade stood there with three soldiers.
“Place the prisoner in chains and bring him on deck. We have arrived.”
Ziri didn't fight as the soldiers unlocked his cell and put chains on his hands.
“And where is it exactly that we have arrived?”
Zade smiled over his shoulder as he led the way up to the deck.
“The Fire Nation capital city of Sozun.”
Ziri gasped when he was pulled up onto the deck, not from fear, but from awe. They were docked in an enormous harbor, and in front of them were the great walls of the city. Standing even taller the walls, he could see the highest spires of the palace looming above them.
“Whoa.”
Zade was smirking at him as they descended into the city.
“Feel good to be home?”
Ziri frowned. “You burned my home, remember?”
“You won't give up on that will you?”
“I can't give up on the truth.”
“You insolent brat! You continue to lie! How dare you…”
Zade stopped dead as Ziri yawned pointedly in the middle of the street, causing a few of the onlookers to snicker.
“Look, I've heard your whole `honor' speech a hundred times. I don't care, or hasn't that gotten through your thick skull yet? By Shasa, you're thicker than a hog-monkey.”
This earned more snickers and Zade reared his hand back to hit him.

Zuko felt the anger he'd come to know so well flare up within him, and performed a basic spinning kick, bringing his foot down on an invisible enemy.

Ziri felt the presence of his other self well up, burning with anger, and then he found himself spinning 360 degrees and bringing his foot up and then down on the sensitive point where Zade's shoulder and neck met.
The general gave a startled cry and then collapsed to the ground. Ziri snatched his chains from the unconscious general's hands and then gave the palace before him a scrutinizing look.
“Wow, even banished the prince is really good.”
Ziri turned towards the giggling teenage girls.
“Sorry ladies, but I'm not the prince.”
They giggled and the tallest smiled at him.
“Whatever you say handsome.”
She winked at him and then she and her companion walked off into the growing crowd. The soldiers were staring at their fallen general, not knowing quite what to do, and Ziri turned towards them.
“So, how do we get to the palace?”
“W-What?”
“How do we get to the palace? That's where you're taking me, right?”
“Of course, Prince…”
“I'm not Prince Zuko, remember? So let's go! I'm tired of standing here. It's hot out.”
“O-of course.”
The soldiers formed a circle around him again and led him towards the palace while a couple stepped out of line to fetch a stretcher and follow with the general. Ziri felt his confidence die as he viewed the imposing palace.
Slowly they climbed the steps to the palace and the guards standing at its doors opened them for the procession. Once inside, Zade was rushed off to the infirmary and the soldiers escorted Ziri to a chamber.

Rou sat in the middle of the land, his mind focused on everything around him as the sun crept lower to the horizon. This place was special, a wooded spit of land at the joining of the oceans. Jun was nearby with Shirshu, and he felt her mixed spirit acutely.
He didn't know what or who he was, only that he could be used as great gift or a terrible curse. Tonight he had a question to ask Kanna, the Kuro Ki-Lin. Tonight, he would learn.

Once they were inside the war-chamber, Ziri was actually unchained and then the soldiers left.
“What the hell?” Ziri inquired to the empty room as he rubbed his sore wrists.
“Such language Prince Zuko.”
Ziri rolled his eyes at the man, his facial features hidden by the darkness of the room, his form highlighted by the flames behind him.
“Look, I don't care what anyone has told you, I'm not Prince Zuko. My name is Ziri, I grew up…”
The man chuckled darkly. “I've heard of your story, but I'm confident that General Zade would not have brought you this far if he wasn't completely certain that you are Zuko.”
Ziri's head snapped up. He hadn't yet heard anyone speak of this prince with the honorary title in front of his name.
“And why wouldn't he? Obviously this prince means a lot to you people, and so why wouldn't he want to bring him back and get all the so-called honor and glory?”
“Why would anyone want to bring a banished prince back to his former nation?”
Ziri stepped back in shock. “Banished! Then why the hell did he bring me here!”
The man smirked. He couldn't see it, but he could feel it.
“Because I am tired of you shaming me, Zuko.”
The man stepped into the light and Ziri uttered a small scream, unconsciously stepping back several times.
“You're the Fire Lord!”
Ozai smiled, not a very pleasant thing to behold.
“You didn't recognize me Zuko? I am your father after all.”
Ziri was in a state of shock. He backed up until he hit the wall, all the fight fled from him, pure fear and panic flooding through him.
The Fire Lord! No, I can't deal with this! He's the most powerful man in the world, the strongest, he can kill me, he's going to, see the look in his eye, I don't know what to do, don't know…

Zuko glanced up from his meditation, feeling the panic flooding from the face that haunted his dreams.

Get a hold on yourself!
Ziri froze, staring down at the floor, begging the Fire Lord to look somewhere else. He could feel the man's gaze tearing into him, and for some reason, his scar was pounding with an impenetrable fury.
But he's…
I know he may be strong, but he's just one man.
I can't fight him!
Who said you were going to? He's just talking for now. Find out why you are here.
“I've told you I'm not Prince Zuko, and you are not my father.”
Ziri was relieved to hear the strength return to his voice. Ozai was now merely looking at him. His hands formed into fists and his body fell into an aggressive stance.
“What the hell do you want with me?” he shouted.
“There's the Zuko I know. You have grown strong in your absence.”
Ziri stared at him.
“I'll give you a chance to redeem yourself. Agni Kai, at sunset.”
What happened? What did he say?
What the hell is an Agni Kai?
Hey, voice spirit thingy, what is an Agni Kai?
…this is bad.
thanks.