Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Shadow of a Doubt ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Spoilers for the season finale.
 
Shadow of a Doubt
 
Zuko is torn.
 
He thinks about what he has seen tonight. He thinks about what has been offered.
 
What has been offered?
 
His sister offers honor, she says. She promises their father's love and his rightful place. He should know better of course. He should know she would let no such thing happen. But still, the apple is there, waiting to be plucked.
 
His uncle offers a nice home, a place to work and live, a life. But he knows, deep inside, he cannot be happy there. His uncle would take to it like he was born in the surroundings, but Zuko is a prince and raised to believe it. It is not just that. Being complacent, sitting there, serving tea, being sociable. None of it's for him.
 
His mind flashes to blue eyes and a gentle touch.
 
The girl—Katara, his mind speaks—offered him something as well.
 
For an instant, he can feel the scar tingling, and smell the burning skin.
 
Zuko stares at his uncle. Azula was right about one thing: he can decide for himself. He knows what needs to be done. But how must he do it?
 
Honor. What did it really mean?
 
The sounds of fighting can be heard not far away. Slowly, Zuko turns and prepares himself.
 
He does not know which way this road will lead him. He cannot see clearly ahead. For all he knows, it will twist and lead him astray, but he thinks he has taken the right path.
 
For now, he will be complacent. He will follow his sister's lead. He will accept the honor they restore.
 
The girl's voice is echoing in his ears. I'd thought you'd changed, she'd screamed.
 
He had. He thinks he knows what he is doing. There had been a fork in the road, hadn't there? But through the haze of pretty words and broken promises, he saw something.
 
Zuko saw a third choice.
 
So now, he will sit. Azula will not turn on him just yet. All he needs to do is wait.