Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Untitled for now ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Just a fic
 
Zuko finds twin girls frozen in an iceberg six months after being banished by his father, but both girls are badly injured. One of them dies and Zuko finds out neither of them is the Avatar, but feels bad for the sister who lived because she has nowhere to go. She had been friends with the Avatar, and had been on her way to visit him when she and her sister were caught in a horrible storm. To keep themselves and their bison from drowning, they encased themselves in ice to protect them. This was only possible because the girls had a very odd family heritage. Zuko doesn't know it, but his life is about to change. For better or for worse? Well, we'll just have to wait and see.
 
Prologue
 
Zuko looked at the girl frozen in the iceberg as his men slowly melted it.
 
`She could be the Avatar.' thought Zuko. `Could I really have found the Avatar after only being banished for 6 months?'
 
Suddenly, a rush of air from inside the iceberg caused them to back away as the iceberg shattered. Two identical girls climbed out of the iceberg, causing them to take defensive positions as the girls stumbled forwards, but they relaxed a bit when the girls both passed out and fell to the ground. Iro was the first to notice something was wrong.
 
“Nephew, both girls are badly injured.” Iro told Zuko. “If one of them is the Avatar, then isn't it better to keep her alive so you don't have to start the search from scratch?”
 
“You're right, Uncle.” said Zuko. He turned to his crew. “Take them to one of the spare bedrooms and make sure their wounds are tended to. If either one of them dies, it'll be on your heads.”
 
The men nodded and gently carried the girls into the ship, laying the girls on the same bed in the spare bedroom. Zuko and Iro walked in to check on the girls as one of them woke up.
 
“Ah...” she moaned softly. “Sister? Sister!”
 
The girl sat up quickly, but winced in pain because of her wounds.
 
“Your sister is safe.” said Iro softly, moving to her side. “She's laying right next to you, but both of you are badly hurt. You should rest, and heal.”
 
The girl shook her head.
 
“I'm too badly hurt to survive this.” she said quietly, coughing up blood. “I want to at least ensure that Hikaru survives.”
 
“Hikaru is your sister?” asked Iro gently. The girl nodded. “And what is your name, miss?”
 
“Hikari.” said Hikari. “We're twins, and mother wanted us both to know how much she loved us, so she named us both `light'.”
 
Hikari gathered some water around her hand using water bending, then turned to Hikaru and began to heal her.
 
“Hikaru, you have to live.” she said softly, her vision blurring. “Live and be happy, in my place.”