Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Distress ❯ Chapter 2

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

It had been a little while since they got the bad news. The boys were still able to use the men's room, but took care not to call attention to what they were doing. Not that this made any difference to the girls.
 
At first Tomo took Yukari's sarcastic advice to "think dry thoughts". Every time she tried to imagine a desert, though, it always ended with her seeing an oasis. She finally gave up that.
 
"Hey, Tomo!" said Yomi. "Could you stop moving around like that?"
 
"I can't help it!" replied Tomo. Indeed, her discomfort left her unable to hold still.
 
"Once, my parents and I were on a road trip," said Osaka, who decided to help out. "I had to go then, and we were a ways off from any bathrooms."
 
"Well? What did you do?"
 
"I just tried not to notice the stream we were driving along."
 
"Stream?"
 
"Yeah, and it was a neverending flow. All that water, constantly being pushed forward-"
 
"Osaka, could you stop?" said Yomi. "You're not helping!"
 
"Yeah, that's why I tried to ignore the stream," said Osaka.
 
"Why even bring it up then?"
 
"Also, you shouldn't think about waterfalls either."
 
"Osaka!"
 
"Oh, right. Sorry."
 
Kagura kicked herself for not going to the bathroom before leaving home. Now she really would give just about anything for an outhouse. By now, she'd lost track of exactly how long she'd been keeping her legs crossed. She had no idea how this would affect PE class. She found herself thinking someone might end up going in the pool. She vowed, though, not to be one of them.
 
Yukari wasn't having that much fun either. She showed up late to class partly because she'd been looking for a bathroom she could use. To her dismay, she ultimately struck out. She did her best to hide her discomfort from the students, but really it was all she could do not to run out, get into her car and rush home. Her only consolation was imagining how bad it might be for Nyamo.
 
Meanwhile, in Kimura's class, Kaori was miserable. Not only was her bladder starting to hurt, but she just couldn't shake the feeling the Kimura was staring at her. Given the situation, she was even more disturbed than usual. No, she reassured herself, he wasn't that kind of person. She then turned her thoughts to how Chihiro was doing. Not a day went by without her wishing she was still in the same classroom as Sakaki.
 
Back in Yukari's class, Osaka was doing all she could not to think about how bad she had to go. She looked out a window, only to see Chiyo's father. Just then, she realized how luck Chiyo was for not coming to school. She continued watching Chiyo's father floating over the lawn. He suddenly came to a stop near some flowers. He then pulled out a sprinkler and began watering the plants.
 
Osaka looked away immediately. She now seriously regretted drinking all that water. She realized it should've been obvious that the "sweat" label shouldn't be taken literally.