Beyblade Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Adventures of a Blader (how original!) ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9
 
Mr. Tate went to the cash register as Serena stood by a pedestal, keeping herself from falling.
 
“H-how could he be my f-f- Serena couldn't even think the word. I've been in Russia, nowhere near America.
 
Mr. Tate came back with a picture frame. He handed it to Serena as Max looked over her shoulder. It showed a younger looking Mr. Tate with a blonde woman. The woman was holding a baby in a blue blanket; Mr. Tate was holding a baby in a pink blanket.
 
“15 years ago, Judy gave birth to a boy and a girl. We named them Max and Serena.”
 
“We're twins? How come I didn't know?” asked Max.
 
“The day we were ready to take you home, the nurse came and told us that our baby girl was missing.”
 
“It can't be true. It can't be.” Serena started to sway, but gripped the pedestal to steady herself. Tears were coming to her eyes.
 
“Didn't you try to find her?” asked Max.
 
“We did, but nothing came up. We lost hope, until your grandmother came and told us that our daughter would return; and she has!” Mr. Tate looked at Serena, who had paled.
 
“I-I'm y-your daughter?”
 
Mr. Tate nodded, then frowned. “Do you need to sit down? You look pale.”
 
“I-I'm fine.”
 
“What did you expect Dad? You just met her and you dropped a bomb on her. But I wonder, how would Grams know, if in fact Serena is my sister, that she would return?” asked Max.
 
“It's a secret in our family. Every two generations, a child is born with `special abilities'. Your grandmother was a psychic.”
 
Serena couldn't take anymore. She bolted out of the store and down the street, tears streaming down her face.
 
Special abilities? Every two generations? Is that why I have my powers? That is, if I'm Max's sister.
 
But Serena knew deep down that that `if' was true.
 
//Serena.//
 
/You knew!/
 
//I guessed.//
 
/You left me there. You never gave a hint. You could have at least warned me!/
 
//Sorry.//
 
/You better be./
 
//What are you going to do?//
 
/Confront my m-m…/
 
Serena ran all the way to Kai's place. Slamming the front door closed, Serena searched the house for Ms. Smith. Ms. Smith was in a large living room, watching television.
 
“So much for not imposing on anyone…Mom!” Serena spat out the word.
 
Ms. Smith looked at Serena and saw her angry, tear streaked face. “Honey, what's wrong?” She got up and went over to Serena.
 
Serena backed away. “Why didn't you tell me I was `adopted'?”
 
Ms. Smith stopped. “How did you find out?”
 
“It's true? I thought Mr. Tate was…no…I know Mr. Tate was telling the truth. I have a twin brother and a f-f-paternal figure.”
 
“You have a family? Boris told me you were an orphan.”
 
“You believed that lying psycho?! You could have at least checked out his story!”
 
“How? If Boris was able to take you away from your family as a baby, how was I supposed to learn the truth?”
 
Serena looked down. “I-I don't know.”
 
Ms. Smith hugged Serena as Serena broke down crying. “It'll be all right sweetie. Now, grab your things. We need to go talk to your family.”
 
Serena wiped away her tears. “All right. Luckily I didn't unpack…but if you're not my mom, what do I call you?”
 
Ms. Smith was heading out of the room. “You can call me Aunt May.”
 
Serena raced upstairs to where she had placed her suitcase. It wasn't long before Ms. Smith and Serena were at the hobby store; and it wasn't long before Ms. Smith left the store, but not before promising to send Serena's other items. As soon as Ms. Smith left, Max grabbed Serena's suitcase.
 
“C'mon. We'll go over to our house and drop this off.”
 
“Be sure to come back. I have something to give to you Serena.”
 
“Thank you f-f-sir.”
 
“Come now, you can call me Dad.”
 
Serena shook her head. “I'm sorry. It's going to take me some time to get over my f-f-him.”
 
“Who's `him'?” asked Mr. Tate.
 
Serena shook her head again and walked out of the store, grabbing her bag from Max.