Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Alarming Attachment ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Alarming Attachment

Summary: It was suppose to be a relaxing vacation, but for Ray it’s anything but. Meeting a girl called Asia who annoys him and dealing with Kai who appears annoyed with him, what’s a neko to do? And what is it that Kai is hiding?

Disclaimer: I don’t own the Anime Beyblade or any character associated. I do own Arista “Asia” Rainstorm. She is an original character and all likeness to people living or dead is purely coincidental. This character is not on based one anyone else’s character, again if any likeness, it’s purely coincidental.

Warning: Usage of a female OC. She is not the hero of the story, and the fic will not be centered on her. Any fans of OC pairings should leave now. Do not ask me to turn this fic into a Ray/OC or any other canon character/OC as I cannot stand such pairings. I have no hesitation in bashing my own created characters.

Another warning; I have turned a male character into a female disguised behind male clothing. The character’s identity will not be revealed until later on in the story.

Any comments or suggestions will be most welcomed.

-------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------

Chapter Nine:

All this waiting was killing him. Ray liked to perceive himself as this patient person, and most of the time he was; except when it came to waiting. Sitting on the edge of Kai’s bed, his legs crossed and arms folded over his chest appeared as if he was trying to meditate but the way his body was twitching and fidgeting, told otherwise.

What was taking Kai so long? Maybe he got into a fight with Asia and was now trying to dispose of the body?

One could only hope…

Ray was a little surprised when Kai agreed to do a sweep of his room before he could venture in himself, but he was grateful none the less. Kai does a lot of nice things for people, but mostly on the quiet or he would presented himself in such a way that he was annoyed about doing it. Kai hated Asia more than anyone, and yet he agreed to check to see if the coast is clear for him. Ray made a mental note to thank Kai somehow, he wasn’t sure how, but he promised to himself that he would.

Suddenly the door opened and Ray held his breath in anticipation, a part of him fearing that Asia might have somehow recovered the key and will now bounce into the room, all busty and perky like. If that ever happened, Ray won’t hesitate jumping out the window, he doesn’t care if he was three stories off the ground. He would prefer two broken legs than being in the same room as Asia again.

Oh, the two of them needed to have a serious talk later…

“She’s gone,” Kai announced as he stepped into the room. His face held an annoyed expression and Ray realized that he must have had a run in with Asia and made another mental note to make it up to him. After this vacation is over, Ray was probably going to indebt to Kai for the next ten years!

Kai popped his head out of the room again and did a quick sweep of the hallway, securing the area like some sort of a bodyguard. “The coast is clear. You can come out now.”

Ray breathed a sigh of relief and jumped up from the bed, eager to get some proper clothes on and hide somewhere for the rest of the day. Maybe somewhere outside as Asia hated the ickiness of nature and the outdoors; which was one of the reasons he found Asia to be unattractive. While she was pretty, she wasn’t attractive.

In fact, there are a lot of reasons Ray didn’t find Asia remotely attractive. Other than her blatant attitude problem towards his teammates and her own father, she was as moody as they come. She was emotionally unstable, bursting into tears and throwing a tantrum at the slightest provocation. She was demanding, not just bossy. She held herself in a higher regard than anyone else around her and all she seemed to think about was herself.

Rude, self-centered, possessive and spiteful. There were so many things he could say about her, none of which were very nice.

Moreover, while she had a great body, she tried too hard to be sexy, and that made her unsexy in Ray’s eyes. Wearing a bikini top that was smaller than her actual breasts didn’t make her look sexy. In truth, and though it was harsh, she looked like a slut. Pure and simple.

Now that Ray thought about it, there was very little about Asia to actually like. Kai was right, just because she lost her mother, doesn’t mean she could strut around like she was the center of the universe.

They were complete opposites and whoever said opposites attract should be shot and buried under a mound of cow dung.

“Thank you, Kai,” Ray said, as he sounded truly grateful. “I promise that I’ll never be nice to another girl for as long as I live!” he announced as he moved out of Kai’s room and into his own. He didn’t notice the wince on Kai’s face when he said those words or the fact that he was now chewing on his bottom lip.

While he waited for Ray to get dressed, Kai leaned against the wall just next to the door of Ray’s hotel room, his hands folded behind his back as he bowed his head forward a little. His dark gray bangs covered his eyes and that gave him a deep, thoughtful look.

“…You always seem to have trouble with women, don’t you?” Kai suddenly commented.

Ray was just about to pull a shirt over his head when paused in his movements, and blinked his eyes slowly at the comment. “What do you mean?”

Kai shifted uncomfortable from his position. He appeared reluctant to carry on, but also looked as if he wanted to know a few things. “Well, there’s Mariah for starters. She’s obliviously in love with you,” he said as he peered through his hair.

Ray remained silent and still for a moment before he muttered; “Yeah…” under his breath and pulled his shirt on over his head.

“Ray?” Kai said as his eyes shimmered with a sense of pain that lasted only a split second before darkening to an unreadable sheen.

“She’s…she’s like a sister to me,” Ray said as he stepped through the threshold of his door way and out into the hallway, a few steps from Kai. He was wearing his usual outfit of black Chinese pants and white Chinese top with red trimming. “I love her, but not romantic love, you know?”

Kai took a moment to regard Ray in silence, studying his profile with his eyes. Ray looked thoughtful and complacent, with a hint of guilt that although he knew Mariah’s love for him, he could not return it.

He felt relived for a moment. “…And then there’s Salima,” Kai said.

“Salima?” Ray repeated as he glanced at Kai and tilted his head to the side with a slight sense of confusion.

“I think she might have had a crush on you,” Kai pointed out as he pushed away from the wall and began to move down the hallway with Ray right behind him. “I know you did at one stage, right?”

“It wasn’t a crush,” Ray said as he felt the need to make a few things clear with Kai. He isn’t sure why, but he felt the need to prove to Kai that although he liked the girls Kai has mentioned so far, he had no romantic feelings toward any of them. It was almost like he was trying to convince Kai that he was the only important person in his life…if that made any sense.

Ray knew he had a crush on Kai, but what did Kai feel for him?

Kai suddenly stopped walking but kept his back to Ray, his profile a little tense. “Hn?”

“I admired her,” Ray said as he stopped as well, being completely honest with himself and with Kai as well. “We thought alike. We didn’t want to blade to win. She wasn’t obsessed at winning at all costs. She was like me.”

“I see,” Kai muttered and Ray could have sworn Kai breathed a sigh of relief. Where was he heading with all of this?

“Why bring this up all of a sudden Kai?” Ray asked, a part of him hopeful that Kai would turn around and confess that he had feelings for him, even though he knew Kai wouldn’t just blurt out what he was thinking or feeling like that.

“It’s nothing,” Kai said as he suddenly turned his face to the side and hid his expression behind he hair yet again. He began walking again, heading to the stairway but paused when he reached the top step.

“Sorry,” he murmured as he kept his face hidden. “I just…what I’m trying to say is that girls are drawn to you because you can be quite charming at times.”

Ray blinked silently for a moment before a smile broke out of his lips. Kai just sorta gave him a compliment. “I am?”

“You don’t even realize you’re doing it mostly,” Kai was quick to point out as if he just realized he gave Ray a compliment as well. “Just…just be more careful, ok? Don’t want anyone to take advantage of you or to take your charms the wrong way.”

“Kai…” Ray murmured as he continued to stare at Kai’s back. He felt pleased that Kai was worried about him. Heck, Ray could have sworn that Kai sounded jealous when he was talking about the girls.

Then a part of him felt concerned. What did he mean take his charms the wrong way? Was he talking about Asia and how she seemed possessive to him? Did she think they were…?

Oh, they needed to have a good, long chat sometime in the future.

Ray decided that he had enough of this conversation and tried to think of something else to say. Then he noticed the length of Kai’s hair and realized that it reached his shoulder blades. He saw his hair before, but he never noticed it, if that made any sense. He remembered running his fingers through the silky strands this morning and was almost overcome with the urge to do it again.

“Are you trying to grow your hair out, Kai?”

Kai snapped his head up and gazed at Ray with a sense of surprise on his face. “Huh?”

“ I’ve just realized that your hair reaches your shoulder blades now,” Ray said with a smile on his lips. “It was even longer when you were pushed into the pool yesterday.”

“Yeah, I guess I am…” Kai muttered as he lifted a hand to touch a strand of dark gray hair.

Ray moved to stand next to Kai and boldly lifted his own hand to curl that same stand of hair behind Kai’s ear, pleased with himself when a light blush appeared on Kai’s cheeks. “It suits you,” he said softly.

Kai blinked slowly as he uncharacteristically took a step back and appeared submissive, almost a little suspicious and uneasy. “Really?”

“Yeah,” Ray said and gave what he hoped was a reassuring smile. “Well, you looked good with short hair as well.”

The blush on Kai’s cheeks darkened a little more as he became aware that Ray’s fingers lingered near his ear after they carefully pushed aside a strand of hair. “I was kinda thinking about cutting it…Which do you think suits me better?”

Ray wasn’t sure why he was feeling so bold, maybe it was Kai’s intoxicating presence or maybe it was his own need to be closer to Kai. He wasn’t sure, and at this point in time, he didn’t care very much at all. “I think you should leave it the way it is.”

“ …Ok.”

Suddenly, a door flew open and a red blur was seen for a split second before it flew passed them on the stairs. Ray only had a moment to realize that the blur was Daichi no doubt headed towards the breakfast bar before he felt something hit him on the back of his knees and caused him to crumble forward. Without thinking, he wrapped his arms around the nearest thing he could find, and that so happened to be Kai. He wrapped his arms around his waist and his cheek rested against his unguarded chest as the two of them stumbled down a couple of steps, but managed to stay upright.

Ray breathed a sigh of relief, but then a thoughtful expression appeared on his face. He was leaning on Kai’s chest and it felt…soft. And a little lumpy. And springy. And…not quite male like…

What…?

His eyebrows shot to his hairline as Ray lifted his head and stared into Kai’s face, and realized that Kai was staring down at him with a sense of shame, guilt and devastation. Ray opened his mouth to ask Kai once again what he was hiding under the bandages but he just couldn’t find the words. Something was wrong. A small voice was telling him that Kai wasn’t injured, and that he was a…

“Ray?” he muttered before he suddenly placed his hands on Ray’s shoulders and abruptly pushed him back. However, he didn’t realize that Ray was close to the edge of the step he was on and caused him to fall back. Ray kept his arms around Kai’s waist and ultimately, pulled Kai down the rest of the stairs with him.

They landed at the bottom of the stairs in a heap, Ray on his back with Kai sprawled out over the top of him. Ray grunted and saw stars for a moment, his vision blank for a few minutes when the wind was knocked out of him.

What the hell just happened?

Kai immediately sat up, found himself on Ray’s hips, and struggled to regain his balance. His hand rested against Ray’s bare chest as his shirt was ripped open during the fall and he used his other hand to protect his own. “I’m sorry, are you alright?” he asks as he shivered slightly as Ray’s skin was warm and taut under his palm.

“Kai…”

Suddenly Ray’s fingers wrapped around the back of Kai’s neck, holding him securely in his lap and he moved to sit up. He moved so they were nearly chest to chest and stared up at Kai, and into his eyes that were wide in surprise. God…he looked beautiful…

“Ray?” Kai watched him with wide eyes and the blush reappeared on his cheeks in record time. Slowly, he realized that Ray was pulling him towards him, and he was letting him. “What are you…?”

He didn’t realize how close they were until Ray pressed his lips against his in an incredibly tender kiss. He stiffened at first, but when Ray began to move his lips slowly over his, he found his body relaxing against his will. He placed his hands on Ray’s shoulders in a feeble attempt to push him away; instead, he sunk against him as Ray kept one hand on his neck as the other moved to rest of the small of his back.

Ray was in heaven. Kai’s lips were as soft and tantalizing as he had imagined, even more so. He ran his tongue over Kai’s lips and then slipped inside when he opened his mouth on a surprised gasp. The inside of Kai’s mouth was even better and he eagerly began to explore every little nook and cranny. A shiver raced down his spine when Kai timidly began to move his tongue against his.

He moved his arms and held Kai closer as the two of them continued to kiss rather passionately but then Kai broke that kiss by curling his fingers on his shoulders and abruptly pushed himself back. He reeled back, breathing deeply whether from the force of the kiss or from shock at what he was doing as he suddenly ripped himself out of Ray’s arms and scrambled to his feet.

“Ray,” he muttered as he shook his head and folded his arms over his chest, slowly backing away. “We can’t…You don’t…”

“Kai?” Ray said with a hint of guilt. “Wait, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to push you like that.”

But Kai continued to back away. “You don’t understand,” he murmured. “I’m not a…”

“Ray!”

Suddenly, the sound of a very feminine voice interrupted him and before Ray had a chance to even climb to his feet and to grab a hold of his crush, Kai bolted passed him and out of sight. But Ray managed to catch a glimpse of his eyes, eyes that appeared to be shimmering with unshed tears.

“Kai…” he murmured. Whatever it is that Kai was hiding, he didn’t care. He just…he just wanted to be with him, that was all.