Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Ice Cold ❯ A Time for Change...Somewhat ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5: A Time for Change………Somewhat
Kai was bored, plain and simple. Looking at the alarm clock next to Keri’s bed, he saw that it was almost time for forth period Gym class with Diread. Sighing, he stood up and poked around the room. He found nothing of true interest until he came to a locked desk drawer.
‘She must have something to hide if it’s locked and I want to know what it is’ Kai thought as he quickly glanced at the girl to make sure she was still asleep.
Taking a paper clip from the supply holder on top of her desk, he swiftly ser to work picking the lock. Upon hearing a soft click, he mad sure the icy teen was still asleep. Quietly sliding the drawer open, he took out its paper contents and slide the drawer shut. Making his way to the door, he left in search of the library he knew she had.
“Oh, Mr. Hiwatari. Is there something I can help you with?” Suzy asked as he tried to find the library in the giant maze of rooms and doors but had found the kitchen instead.
“I was trying to find the library, could you tell me where it is?” kai asked the middle aged woman.
“I always told Miss. Keri to get a map drawn for this place, but she never saw any reason for doing so. Anyway, second floor with big double doors to the left. I’ll send some lunch up in a bit, god knows you must be starving” Suzy told him and he nodded, then left for the library.
Opening the big oak doors to the huge library, Kai looked around the room. Thousands of books of all shapes, sizes, languages and genres were neatly shelved and a desk sat in the middle of the great circular maze.
‘Whoa, this place is huge. How can she live here all on her own and never feel lonely?’ Kai thought as he sat down at the desk and started rifling through the papers. Poems, lyrics, stories, and journal entries- which were quite intreging. Kai scanned through them until a certain entry caught his eye:
‘January 16th, 1998
Dear Journal,
The doctors say I have contracted Hypotherepticthermia and won’t live to see another birthday. My dance career is over, as I lay here bed ridden. Mum and Dad have hired the best medical team in the world to find a way so I can live- even if it means I never feel again. By that, they mean they can turn me into a cyborg (whatever that is) and be able to live- but never feel. They say I’ll be almost unhuman, unable to love, hurt or feel any emotions until such a time where someone special decides that it is now a time for change- a time to become real again. I don’t know what will happen, but I just want to live…’
“…even if I never truly feel again. Although, I believe you have figured that out for yourself Hiwatari” a harsh voice said, breaking into Kai’s thoughts.
“Keri, when did you wake up?” Kai asked, startled by how silently she came into the room.
“About 10 minutes ago. Suzy told me where you were. Question is, do you always barge into someone’s private thoughts or am I a special case?” she asked, as ice chill running down his spine as she did.
“I believe, you’re a person I’ve made a special exception to. Although, nothing stays hidden from me for very long” he told her, a ‘know-it-all’ smirk on his lips.
“Spread any of this around school or to anyone and the town gets painted red in your blood” Keri promised as she took the papers from his grasp.
“Is that a threat? Cause if it is, you better be able to back it up” Kai said as he stood and faced her.
‘Whap!’ “How’s that? Enough evidence for you?” she asked as Kai moved back a few centimeters from the force of the blow.
“Okay wonder woman, lets go” Kai said as he looked her in the eye while he stood in a fighting stance.
“I’m a black belt and genetically enhanced” she said as she took her own stance.
“I’m a lot of things, but a quitter isn’t one of them” Kai said as she aimed a kick at his head but stopped short.
“Neither am I. Go home Hiwatari, before you get hurt” Keri said as she slowly lowered her foot.
“Don’t you think that you should try to feel some emotions? Tala is a cyborg too and he can feel. So tell me, don’t you think it’s time to change?” Kai asked her in a serious yet soft tone. Her angered look was replaced by one full of shock and surprise.
“If Tala is that other cyborg, doesn’t that make you Voltaire’s grandson?” she asked out of the blue and Kai’s eyes widened, he didn’t know it was Voltaire’s fault she was this way.
You’re the original cyborg?” he asked in shock and she nodded her head.
“Voltaire had planned for it to be Tala but my parents had contacted him before-hand. After, Voltaire redesigned the program based upon the effect it had on me. Though if Tala broke free, then maybe I can too” Keri said as she pondered on the thought of no longer being unemotional.
“If you go against the program, won’t you end up on death road again?” Kai asked and the girl looked at him questioningly.
“Didn’t know you cared Hiwatari” she said with an amused look on her face.
“You’d be surprised how many others would too, if you opened up a little” Kai said, not liking the look he was getting from the girl. It was a devilish look, one only Ray or Tala gave him from time to time.
‘Bring!’ Kai’s call went off, causing him to inwardly jump. “Yeah?” he answered, hearing laughing voices on the other end.
“Hey Kai, you gonna join us back in the real world anytime soon?” Tala asked him.
“Depends. Where are you?” Kai answered.
“Heading to the beach for one of the last few weekends” Ray’s voice pipped up.
“Why not. I’ll be there in a bit” Kai told them and hung up the phone.
“So what’s new in their world?” Keri asked him, her devilish look gone.
“Got a swim suit?” he asked her as an idea formed in his head.
“Yeah but…” “Go and get it, a towel and a spare set of clothes. You’re coming with me” Kai ordered as he cut her off.
She went to hit him but he caught her wrist and pulled her so close that they were and ½ inch away. “Don’t argue. If you want to be human, you’ll listen to what I have to say” he told her in a low and dangerous tone before letting her go.
“You’re walking on thin ice Hiwatari, be careful or you’ll fall through” Keri warned him as she headed out the library doors.
“This will be the end of me yet” Kai muttered and followed her through the doors.
He was led back up to her green room where she put the papers back in her desk, turned on her stereo and ignored him completely.
‘Drastic times call for extremely drastic measures’ Kai thought and went over to her closet door.
“Ice is cracking beneath you Kai” Keri said as she looked at him through the fringe of her bangs.
“I’ll take that chance” he said as he opened the closet door and quickly found a black, skort bottom, one piece suit with a turquoise strip going diagonally across it.
“You’re on a small patch of ice drifting to sea” ‘queen’ keri said as Kai also grabbed a pair of jeans and an off shoulder blue shirt before hunting for a beach towel.
“Guess what, you’re sinking” she said as Kai finally found the towel and started putting the things into her knapsack. He also grabbed a brush and hair tie off her dresser.
“Lets go” he said, turning to the lounging girl.
“Go fuck yourself asshole, cause I’m not leaving” she told him, not really caring that he had moved towards her. “Go bug some other girl, you’d have better luck winning her over” Keri said before Kai hoisted her off the bed and carried her out the door, the bag in his left hand.
“Give it a rest Hiwatari. Your efforts to try and forge a friendship are useless and anything more will happen when Granger fly’s singing ‘I believe I can fly’ properly. It’s just never going to happen so just give in and accept it” she told him as he carted her out the front door towards his car.
He tossed the bag into the back and put Keri down but dragged her over to the passenger side, opened the door, picked her back up bridal style, put her in the seat, snapped the belt buckle into place, shut the door and went over to his side.
Keri unbuckled herself and went to open the door to find it locked. She looked over to see Kai grinning at her as he pulled the buckle back over her.
“It’s time to change Keri, don’t fight with me” Kai told her as the teen looked ready to kill him.
All this trouble, for a girl? Dranzer asked his master in disbelief.
‘She reminds me of both myself and Tala. Keri’s a cyborg, I understand that, but she acts like me in the sense that she doesn’t want to establish friendships and that will eventually cause her to lose it’ Kai told the red phoenix.
“Are we there yet?” the bored and annoyed Keri asked him.
“I thought you didn’t want to go. Why the sudden change?” Kai asked as he drove back into town.
“I don’t want to go. Unfortunately you’re as stubborn as a mule and have never listened to me. I know I’m never going to get out of this. Mark my words Hiwatari, you will pay” she told him, her gaze never leaving the window.
“Come on, I have to get my stuff and I refuse to leave you alone in my car. Besides, you have to get changed” he told her as he parked the car in the drive way.
“I loath you with a passion” she mumbled as she trudged up to his room.
“Change in the room across from mine” Kai told her before disappearing into the bathroom attached to his room.
“God do I ever hate you” Keri said as she heard the lock click.