Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Rei ❯ Japan Bound ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rei: Japan Bound

Driger sat on my bed as I started packing my belongings. We have been partner for a week so far. The others haven't noticed his presence, but I have this feeling they would. That was one of the reasons why I had to get out of here. Another was that I wanted to learn more about beyblading. Sure, I learned a lot here, but there was so much out there. I had read in books about these strange lands and wanted to see them. Not to mention, there will be different people and different bit beasts. I have so much to learn.

"Rei, what are you doing?" The white tiger asked. He glanced over to what I was packing.

"I'm leaving," I answered him bluntly while continuing to pack what I can carry. The rest will have to remain here, not that I had a lot of material possessions.

"Why? I thought you loved living here?" He cocked his head in curiosity.

"I do, but it doesn't have what I need," I sighed. I closed my bag and slung it over my shoulder.

"And what would that be?" Driger asked, very curiously.

"It would be experience and knowledge," I answered truthfully. "By going out into the world, I will learn more about beyblading than if I stayed here."

"Oh, are you going to tell the others?" Driger questioned me.

"I already left them a note," I said pointing to the note on my desk. "I should be going. Coming?" I glanced behind me to find Driger already entering my beyblade.

Walking out, I couldn't help feeling a little guilty. They have taken care of me when I had no place to go, but on the other hand, I can bring the knowledge I learned back to the village. We lived in an isolated area so we didn't receive much visitors. We didn't receive that much information that way, because hardly anyone wants to come here.

`You shouldn't doubt your decision.' Driger thought.

Darn. He must have noticed me looking back. As I stood on top of the hill, I thought about all the good times I had spent there. No. I will be returning one of these days, when I have learned everything there was to know. I knew I was making the right decision, but I had this feeling that kept pestering me. I couldn't put a finger on it.

"I know," I said out loud. "But I have this feeling something bad is going to happen."

`You worry too much,' Driger teased me. He was such a good friend, knowing how to cheer me up when I start brooding, when to back off, and basically knowing how I feel. Even though we haven't been together, it feels like I knew him all my life.

"I know," I sighed and trudged off away from the village. I headed down one of the main roads that led to the city.

The next day arrived sooner than I had expected. Yawning, I stretched my sore muscles. I had been sleeping on a flat rock the entire night.

`Sleep well?'

"No," I said a little rude. How would you like to be warmly greeted after getting barely any sleep? I wasn't in a cheery mood this morning.

`Sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the rock this morning,' Driger mentally spoke to me. He was obviously trying to cheer me up, but he was failing miserably.

Six hours later, I had reached the city. It wasn't far from the village if you drove, but I walked the entire way. Actually, I had run, because I don't want to take the entire day to reach there. Of course, I could have flown here, but it would cause too much commotion.

Maybe I should look around before I do anything else. I have been here a few times, but that had been a long time ago. It was about a year ago. Our village doctor needed to restock his medicine. Every year he goes into town with a few of us children. In return for helping him, he bought us ice cream. Too bad he was old and left us about three months ago.

As I started walking around, I noticed several people going about their daily business. Hardly anyone noticed I was new in town. If it had been back at home, almost the entire village would be out greeting that person. I guessed here there were too many people to closely know each other. So many people just walked passed each other without greeting one another.

They must be very busy. Here in the city, they said time was money. They didn't want to waste money so they didn't want to waste their time on trivial things. What a shame. If they only paused for a moment, then they would be able to enjoy life as it is. Instead of worrying too much and getting a heart attack at an early age.

Hmmmm. There was a beyblade battle going on at the park. I quickly raced over there to find several kids my age cheering on the two players. They didn't appear to have bit beasts so I guessed that only a select few have us. Not that I want the humans to own us. I'd rather set them free. As I walked up to the group, they didn't notice me until someone accidentally bumped into me. He turned around to see a pair of golden eyes.

"Who are you?" He asked me rather rudely.

"I'm Rei," I answered coldly. "What's it to you?"

"I challenge you to a battle!" He ordered me while taking out his beyblade and launcher.

"I accept your challenge," I returned with equal fervor.

As soon as I had accepted his challenge, one of the boys won, leaving the bey stadium free for the next challengers. Both of us stepped quickly up there before anyone could claim it for their use. I placed my blade on my launchers and saw my opponent already had his on his launcher. He glared at me as he took his position. Two can play that way. I readied my launcher.

We launched our blades into the stadium. My blade circled around the bowl while his followed behind mine. It had tried to keep up with mine, but it failed miserably. Not much power in that blade. I wondered how he built his blade or even what parts he used. He obviously hadn't put much effort into designing it.

Suddenly his beyblade started pushing my blade towards the edge. I wasn't panicking, since I had Driger on my side. Smirking, I wondered how his reaction will be when I unleash Driger.

"Why are you smiling?" He asked me with a confused look. "You're the one about to lose!" He emphasized the word lose.

"Oh, is that so?" I smirked again. "Just look again." I pointed to my beyblade now pushing his back and towards the other side.

He took a step backwards and gasped at the sight. "Attack!" He commanded his blade. Unfortunately, my blade had a higher attack and defense than his. It also had more power due to Driger, my bit beats. Kind of weird thinking that, bit beast owning a bit beast.

"Driger, attack," I said enthusiastically. My beyblade emitted a soft green light. Driger appeared bursting with power.

"He has a bit beast!" My opponent cried out. He knew he was going to lose when my tiger renewed his attacks. In less than a minute, my blade sent his blade flying out of the dish.

"I told you," I said with a smile on my face. Pretty soon several people challenged me to a battle of which I have won every single one of them.

A sound of clapping echoed behind me. Turning around I discovered a cheery old man. "Very good, very good indeed."

"Who are you?" I asked tilting my head to one side.

"My name is Mr. Dickenson and I am head of the BBA (can't remember if he was). We are holding a beyblade competition in three months," the cheery old man asked. "I have heard a young boy has defeated some of the best here. He goes by the name of Rei."

"Why did you come out to ask me that?" I asked him with suspicion.

"I would like you to compete in it," Mr. Dickenson said.

"Why should I?" I questioned him while keeping my eyes on him.

"It's your choice," he answered with a smile. "I'm not forcing you to go, but I thought a talented young man like yourself would want to compete."

"Oh," I said. "Why not?"

"That's what I like to hear," Mr. Dickenson said.

During the three months, I spent the time traveling throughout the continent challenging anyone and everyone. I wanted to become the best even if it meant losing every once in awhile. Even though I didn't like losing, I learned a lot by defeat. If I would haven't learned anything, then I have gained nothing from this experience. I have ran across some of the weirdest attacks and bit beasts. Though I could only traverse across this continent, it didn't stop me from learning what I could in the time I had.

Driger and I have been through a lot. We have gotten to know each other and have placed deep trusts within the other. I knew he would protect me with his life as I would him. No, we don't love each other, since we were related, though I could tell he had the hots for someone. I tried to figure out who he was as Driger mentioned it was a guy.

My first round match wasn't that spectacular. Okay, we were placed into different groups. These groups fought against each other and the four remaining ones will advance to the semi-finals. One from each group was chosen. I defeated all of my opponents with ease. I didn't even have to call Driger out. Sheesh, this was boring. I thought this would at least be amusing.

Turning around, I walked back to my seat. AJ made the announcement. So I was scheduled to battle Tyson in the second match? He hardly looked like a threat. This should be a piece of cake. I won't have to call out Driger.

`Pride comes before the fall.'

"Oh hush you." I chided the tiger.

The next day, I will have my match against Tyson. We were scheduled go after Kai and Max. Shifting uncomfortably in my seat, I took noticed of the bluenette with the blue triangles. He does look cute for a human. Ack! I shouldn't be thinking about these things.

Okay, they were supposed to get their beyblades to stay inside the upper dish for a certain length of time. Both their beyblades made a straight beeline for the middle. However, Kai managed to pull off a win. Not bad, not bad at all. His social skills required work. Why am I even thinking about him in that manner? It couldn't be that I like him. Now could it? Nah. I wasn't interested in boys anyway or humans for that matter.

Very interesting, Max had chosen to launch his beyblade in the opposite direction. Wonder what he was up to? I couldn't dwell on it as both beyblades were in the top dish. Max's blade had completely stopped. Man was he ever done for, but his blade used the moment of Kai's blade to come to life. Soon, Max booted Kai out of the dish. Not bad, not bad at all. Oops spoke too soon.

Before I or anyone else knew it, Max's bade came careening out of the dish and into Max. It had shattered the necklace he wore. I don't know how, but he managed to acquire a bit beast through his pendant.

In the third round, they both released their bit beasts. Dranzer overpowered Draciel, who was a defense bit beast. Also her partner didn't train with her as long as Dranzer with Kai. I don't even know when he received his phoenix. No matter, I have more pressing matters to deal with. I have a match to attend.

During my first round, I wiped the floor with Tyson. He was such an amateur and wasn't worth my time. Using my tiger claw attack, I destroyed Tyson's blade. I had turned around to walk away when AJ called me. He wanted to know where I was going. I informed him that Tyson had to repair his blade before we can continue the game. Unfortunately for him, he didn't bring any spare parts. Typical amateur. Suddenly, a kid with glasses appeared with spare parts, saving Tyson's hide at the last second. In our next round, he managed to win. I can't believe I actually lost to him, an amateur. Well then, I needed more practice if he can beat me, but I gave him a run for his money. If I had to go down, I would go down fighting.

The finals were the next day. Since I had tossed my match, Kai was going to face Tyson. My cheeks blushed as I thought of him. I flopped on my bed staring at the ceiling when Driger decided to come out.

"Thinking about him?" He said playfully.

"Shut up!" I growled at him.

"Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning," Driger teased me.

I sighed. He knew me too well. I have a crush on this Kai fellow, but I don't even know him. "Since when did I start liking guys?"

"You just do," Driger said, taking a seat next to me. I could feel the bed shift as additional weight was added.

"What am I going to do about it?" I moaned. I can't tell him that I liked him, because he may not return the feelings. Also Mr. Dickenson had told me that he was going to put together a team. The finalists and the semi-finalist would make up the group. Most likely, he would place Kai as team captain. I would have to be around him as we traveled and if he rejected me, I knew I couldn't take it anymore.

"You can admit your feelings," Driger advised.

"How can I go to a complete stranger and tell him I like him?" I asked rhetorically.

"Good point," Driger said before standing up. "You could get to know him before you rush into anything. Maybe you can get him to open up."

"Oh really?" I raised my brow.

"You changed several lives when you were young," Driger reminded me.

"I guess so," I said before turning and closing my eyes. Tomorrow was going to be a big day.