Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Rei ❯ Hidden Motives ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wingzero: Finally, I updated. *sighs* Wish I own Beyblade, but sadly I don't. ;.;

"Are you sure you recorded this on tape?" Steve asked skeptically.

"It could have been graphically altered," Eddie added.

"I'm positive, I didn't alter it," Emily stamped her foot on the ground several times, hitting the guys toes. They looked like they were in pain, but they held back the scream.

"You don't have to be so pushy," Michael quipped.

"I can't believe he would have those," Judy gasped. "I thought they were only in fairy tales and such, but never in real life."

"It goes to show you, Judy," Emily stated, "that even us scientists learn new things every day."

"I guess you're right," Judy sighed.

When I was able to get a closer view, I nearly fell over. The image was of........

ME!!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes or ears. There in front of me was a video clip of me with my wings. It couldn't get any worse than this. I backed up into the shadows, hoping that no one saw me or felt my presence.

"Those don't look real to me." Michael waved his hand as if he didn't believe it. In truth, he didn't know whether he should believe it or not. Confusion and anxiousness came from him.

"You know it could be the lighting or special effects," Steve added in his doubts. "Like in the movies and stuff."

"I suppose that is one theory," Judy analyzed the data in front of her. She picked up a clipboard and read off the contents, which were a bunch of stats. "I have had strange power readings last night from an unidentified source."

"Are you thinking it might be coming from Rei or what appears to be him," Emily stated. It was obvious she wanted believe it; at the same time, she believed strictly in science. The proverbial light bulb lit up in her head. "Why don't we go and ask him ourselves?"

"Speaking of which, where did he go?" Judy looked around for any sign of me. However, I didn't stick around to be found by them.

I tip toed out of there with my white tiger stealth. Once I was out of there, I sprinted towards the room Kai and I shared. Upon reaching it, I immediately jumped in and slammed the door, not noticing Kai until he tapped my shoulder.

"Kai!" I shouted in surprise. He gave me a questioning look. "The All Starz found out I had wings." I grinned sheepishly.

"I knew you shouldn't have gone up there with your wings," Kai scowled, "but it's done and there's nothing we can do about it unless you can travel back in time." There was hope in his eyes. I couldn't disappoint him but at the same time, I won't lie to him.

"So far I don't know of anyone who can manipulate time or space," I answered honestly. "You already know one of mine which is flight. Another one is empathy."

"I see," Kai said without any emotions. "Just what are you exactly?"

"I can't tell you that," I sighed nervously. "It concerns a friend of mine, who doesn't exactly trust anyone except for me and others of our kind."

"We'll have to come up with a good excuse to as why you have wings," Kai said thoughtfully. He leaned against the wall, thinking about something. His eyes were closed, blocking his crimson eyes.

'Maybe we can convince them it was just a movie,' I thought to myself. 'Emily thinks it could be a possibility or something. Now we only have to convince them that it was only a movie. If only Dralcian was here, he or was it she could use his or her mind powers to erase their memories. I then can destroy the evidence unless they created copies of it.'

"We'll have to convince them it was only a film production and nothing else," Kai stated as if he was reading my mind.

"What do you suggest?" I asked him curiously as I leaned onto him.

"We'll do a repeat performance tonight except we'll be using wires instead of you flying on your own," Kai replied with a smirk.

Later that night, we were eating dinner at this restaurant, which Kai forbidden Tyson to choose the buffet and limited him to just a couple of dishes with a dessert. Max can only have one dessert, because we didn't need him to be on another sugar high especially with the plan we were going to pull off. Tyson and Max had to practically pry Dizzi out of his hands. Kai threatened to keep the laptop until Kenny ate with us. Needless to say, that did the trick.

After dinner, things were going to get strange and unusual. Kai set up our props while I was getting ready. I sat on my bed preening my feathers until they shined. Tyson and Max were going to explore the hotel, though Max really wanted to meet up with his mother and ask her a few questions. Tyson went along with the blonde, because he didn't trust Judy or any members of the All Starz team. Truth be told, the blue haired blader wanted to spend time with the blonde, but he just didn't know it yet. Kenny as usual spent his night typing away on his keyboard. He was going over our statistics from the past few days.

"Is everything ready?" I asked walking onto the roof.

"Of course it is," Kai growled softly, though I heard it as plain as day. With that, he started to place the harness and strings in place. Over in the corner, a fake camera stood there as if recording the entire event.

Knowing Kai, he probably has thought of every possibility. Our plan was perfectly executed. We made sure that the All Starz were recording our session on the roof. What they didn't know was that I had my actual wings out, but what they don't know can't hurt them. Kai was right about his plan and it was a good thing our team mates weren't around.

"That should keep them away for awhile," Kai leaned back on his bed.

"I would hope so," I sighed in relief. "Where are the others?"

"How should I know?" Kai snapped at me. "I was with you the entire time."

"You are our team captain after all or have you been seriously slacking off?" I teased him, only to receive a pillow on the head. Well, it was better than a fist.

"You should be lucky I'm letting you off the hook this easily," Kai snorted. He turned over and yawned a small one. "They're all watching a movie and seeing as we don't have a match tomorrow we're going to take the time to train."

"I take it that means an early wake up call," I inwardly groaned at the thought.

"No, I want all of you to be well rested," Kai surprised me with his unusual change of behavior. Normally, he would have said yes. "I don't want any of you making mistakes due to your lack of rest. If there's one thing I learned from my stay with you is that you all need frequent rests."

"That's what you think," now it was my time to snort. "I don't need that much rest and besides, you're pushing yourself."

"Whatever," Kai grumbled.

"I'm going to take a bath," I informed him as I stood up. I picked up my night clothes, which consisted of shorts, a plain shirt, and fresh underwear. Glancing over, I noticed Kai dozing off. Today had been a rough day for the both of us. Well, I don't know about him, because we weren't exactly joined at the hip.

**********Kai's POV**********

I heard the soft foot falls of my room mate into the adjacent bedroom. Once the door closed, I counted down three minutes before I stood up. There were a few things I needed to take care of and I didn't want him to become involve in it. Speaking of which, it led me to wonder what exactly was he. I know from experience he had wings as well as a few other hidden talents. Then there was that mysterious person. He came all the way to where we were training. They obviously had something in common.

Great, now I was getting ahead of myself. I knew my 'grandfather' sent his men out here, from the way those people were giving me these strange looks in the audience. They had several cameras, measuring equipment, as well as recording ones. I couldn't let them know that I was onto them so I pretended to be clueless like the rest of my team mates. Voltaire ordered me to watch out for powerful bit beasts, because he wanted me to steal them. I wasn't the type to follow orders, but for now I can swallow my pride. Hey, I have nowhere to go and it wasn't like I could take care of myself. Anyways, I was straying away from my main purpose here.

Glancing around the corner, I noticed that no one was awake. This should make things much easier, though in Tyson's case it would have been a breeze. Normally, Kenny will be up at this hour, trying to upgrade their beyblades. As much as I hate to admit, I sometimes do need his help when finding ways to maximize my beyblade's potential. Just don't tell him that. I will never hear then end of it from that pig.

I found myself wandering around the hallway before approaching the elevator. As there was hardly anyone awake, the cart didn't take much time to reach my floor. I quietly walked into it and headed towards the lobby. The night shift was pretty much bored and could care less why I was up at this late hour. Normally, there were a few bellhops and attendants. Now one attendant and one bellhop sat, bored out of their minds.

Maybe some fresh air will clear my mind. I turned sharply and headed in that direction. The lobby was pretty large with a few sofas in the guest waiting area. They had a small table for children to play and a few toys, but those were in a sectioned off corner. It must be to prevent the toys from littering the main place. A few newspapers were on the chairs, pretty much worn out after today's events.

The outside air was crisp and cool, even for this kind of weather. Not to my surprise, I can't see any of the stars in the black sky. The bright lights of this city prevented any kind of star gazing. For some odd reason, when I stared into the sky, I felt calm and at peace with myself. Don't get me wrong. I handled the everyday stress of my 'grandfather' and my team, in particular Tyson with no problem; though there were at times when I want the stress and burden to be taken away even if it was for a glimpse.

A soft rustle brought my attention to a shadowed figure. Instinctively, I reached in my pockets for my beyblade and launcher before it had time to react. Instead of pulling out his own beyblade, he laughed. His ice blue eyes pierced through the darkness. I remembered seeing those eyes before, but where in the seven hells did I see them?

"Who are you?" I demanded to know. I had my launcher aimed straight at his head, should he make any hasty actions.

"My my," the person tsked. "And here I was coming to say hi and see how you were doing. It has been such a long time since we've seen each other, eh Kai?"

"Well whoever you are, go and bug someone else tonight," I growled, wanting to leave this nut case and head back to my hotel room.

The figure stepped out from the shadows into the light. I saw his flaming red hair that looked like he was trying out for clown school. It reminded me of red wings. He had on regular clothes: dark blue denim pants that were a bit loose on him with a white belt, a black long sleeved shirt, a white baseball jersey over it, and some sort of communication device.

"You're telling me you don't recognize me?" The mystery person gasped before composing himself. "Well I don't blame you after what happened, though I don't know why you would ally yourself with a bunch of children and amateurs."

"What I do is none of your concern," I growled lowly. I turned to leave when suddenly I found myself face to face with him. "I'll be leaving now."

"Leaving so soon?" The person was becoming rather annoying. "I happen to take orders from one Voltaire Hiwatari."

The name caught me off guard. "So you work for my grandfather. Why didn't you say so in the first place?"

He shrugged nonchalantly. "I wanted to see if you recognized me and I guessed the others were right. You lost your memory from when we grew up. Enough about that. Do you have the information?"

"I have the information, but I'm not going to hand it over to a middle man," I sidestepped him. "I only take orders from Voltaire, not one of his flunkies."

"Ouch I'm hurt," the mystery person feigned hurt. He dramatically placed his hand over his heart and staggered a bit backwards. After he was finished with his theatrics, he went down to business. "Voltaire wants to hear from you as soon as you're finished with the American tournament. He's pleased you have become a stronger blader when you joined the Bladebreakers."

I snorted as I already knew he would be. That was all I ever was to him, a tool to be exploited whenever possible. "You have a knack for stating the obvious." What was his name? I had to know it if we grew up together. "Yuri?"

The red haired person froze in place. "How do you know my birth name?"

"I don't know," I shrugged as it meant nothing in the world.

"There are only a select few who know it," the red haired person said before something dawned on him. "So you're starting to remember your past. This should be interesting." He gazed up into the sky. "You know in Russia you can see the stars. These Americans with their lights destroy the natural beauty of this world."

I raised my brow in confusion. "First you're giving me orders and now you're going philosophical on me?"

"Kai, Kai," Yuri shook his head. "You don't understand the subtly of the situation. When you have the time, it's nice to take things slow and relax. I'm in no hurry to grow up and I'm guessing you're too. Personally I like staying up at night, watching the stars until I fall asleep."

"Is that so?"

Yuri shifted around on his feet. "Yes. I remember the first time I ever did it. You were the one who got me hooked on it. I had been returned from my training regiment when I saw you gazing out of the window and at the stars. I asked you why you were just staring at a bunch of stars. You answered it was relaxing to look at so I decided to give it a try. Then almost every night we'd watch the stars as we drifted off to sleep. On some nights, we would try to locate every constellation within sight. You were the better of us as much as I hate to admit."

"Why are you telling me this now?" I asked dumbfounded.

"Because ever since you went away, I felt like I lost a part of me," Yuri sighed. He shifted uneasily around in the dirt. "You see you're one of the very few people I have learned to trust. You were like family to me so of course I would be upset to see you leave. The others missed you too."

"I wasn't aware of that." I returned my blade and launcher to my pockets, before gazing upon those stars, what I could see of them.

"Which is the reason why I'm here," Yuri took a step towards me. "I wanted to see how you were doing without raising suspicion from our superiors. When word was out they wanted someone to relay a message to you personally and check on your progress, I naturally volunteered. I worked extra hard to prove myself and here I am."

"How touching."

"I wouldn't expect you to remember what we went through," Yuri sighed in exasperation. "Please take care of yourself. I don't want to be bringing your grave flowers."

"Such a vote of confidence," I snorted. "In any case, what do you go by now?"

"Tala." In a flash, Yuri had disappeared from my vision just as quickly as he had come into it.

That was one very odd person. Taking one last glance at the night sky, I departed from our meeting place and headed towards the hotel room with only one thing in mind: sleep. Hey, I was human after all.

*********Dralcian's POV*********

I headed out after checking up on Rei and his team mates. Kai was missing. Well, normally he would disappear on them, but this time was different. I could feel it in my feathers. Something was wrong with this picture. I wandered outside of the hotel, in a park area when I found two people speaking. Kai was one of them. The other one went by the name of Yuri.

Perhaps he worked for that organization I was spying on. If that was the case, then why was Kai with him? How does he know Kai? Yuri mentioned something about them growing up together, but the Bladebreaker team captain had no clue what he was talking about. Who was this Voltaire Hiwatari? I hoped he wasn't one of those people searching for bit beasts. In any case, I should warn Rei about it.

Something inside told me Yuri didn't want to have anything to do with this organization. In fact he wanted out, but he couldn't leave so easily. I had searched his mind for scattered memories to see if he was telling the truth. He was telling the truth. I found slips of memory with him and Kai along with three other boys. Now I knew, he was part of the secret organization out to collect powerful bit beasts. I'll have to warn Rei about not getting close to this Yuri or Tala, whatever he decides to call himself.

**********Rei's POV**********

I woke up the next morning to find Kai still asleep, which made me wonder. What was he doing up late last night. Normally, he was the first one to rise. I would be the second with Max not far behind me. Kenny would be going to sleep about now if he spent the night doing last minute upgrades. Tyson, well let's not go there, shall we?

It was then I noticed my bit beast curled up on the chair. "So you're finally awake." Obviously, he had been trying to wake me up for some time now. "If I didn't know better, I'd say Tyson is starting to rub off on you."

"Whatever," I said in an irritated voice. "How long have you been out?"

"Ten minutes," Driger said casually. "Don't worry, I'm not using a large quantity of my energy, if that's what concerns you."

"What concerns me is you're not up to it for the match," I sighed. Sometimes it was like talking to a brick wall. "You'd better go back into your blade before Kai wakes up."

"Why?"

"Because I don't want him to see that bit beasts can take human form. It's bad enough he knows I'm not exactly human and who knows what will happen once others find out."

"He's correct," Dranzer emerged from Kai's blade. He wrapped his arms around my bit beast in a possessive manner, declaring that I should keep my paws off the white tiger.

"No need for that," Driger chuckled, though he liked his lover being possessive. "My master is in love with your master so no need to worry. Besides, we're cousins in case if you've forgotten."

I smirked at the two love birds. "So you two have patched things up?"

"Pretty much," Driger replied, though he wasn't paying complete attention to me.

A muffled moan caught our attention. The white tiger and the phoenix immediately shot into their respective blades. I whipped out my clothes and rushed into the bathroom, before Kai could really wake up.

**********Bit Beasts POV**********

The five bit beasts of the Bladebreakers sneaked into the room of Kai and Rei when their masters were eating breakfast at the table. In each of their minds, they were going over the tournament and whatnot. Draciel and Dragoon arrived shortly after their masters had gone downstairs. Dizzi was the last to arrive, because Kenny was completely attached to his laptop, meaning she couldn't sneak away.

"You're late," a gruff voice sounded, throughout the room.

"Oh hush you," she snapped in irritation. She hastily closed the door behind her, making sure to lock it so they had no uninvited eavesdroppers. "I had a hard time, convincing Kenny to leave me alone and eat breakfast." She made her way to a chair and plopped herself down on it.

"That's an understatement if I've ever heard one," Draciel giggled. She wore a simple purple dress with two inch straps. On her dress, she had pink, blue, and a few silver flowers embroidered on it. Her long violet hair went down to her waist which was held back by a band at the back of her head.

"You're telling me," Dragoon agreed with her. His hair was short, untamed, and blue. He wore navy blue pants, a black belt to keep the pants up, a white shirt, and a medium blue over-shirt. On top of his head, he too wore a baseball cap like his master. "So anyways, why are we here?"

"We have been hearing reports of an organization capturing powerful bit beasts for their own purpose," Dranzer started as the team captain of the bit beasts. "I do not know all the information, but we should be careful at all times and I mean all times. We cannot be popping out of our blades, until we know the safe is clear."

"We understand," Driger said, eyeing the rest of them warily. The others nodded their heads in agreement. "As you know there are only two unsealed bit beasts. One of them is my master and the other one is a rogue. I don't know where he's at the moment. He tends to pop out at the most unlikely time. Personally, I find it to be annoying."

"Is that so?" A new voice echoed off the room's walls.

The five bit beasts were startled at the approach of another. "Yes." The white tiger found it to be really annoying.

"I have also discovered something interesting about your team's captain," Dralcian ignored the looks the others gave him. "He was wandering out late last night when he happened to meet an acquaintance of his. This person just so happens to work for Voltaire, who's after powerful bit beasts. I believe those two are in league with the organization."

"How do you know Kai is working with them?" Dranzer was ready to pounce on the silver falcon.

"He's working for Voltaire, but he doesn't want to," Dralcian spoke softly. "He and his friend do not want any association with them, but they are forced to. I think he will be able to turn the tide when it comes down to it."

"Perhaps," Dranzer said thoughtfully. He scratched his chin with his claws. "I know my master wouldn't turn away from us."

"You could say that," Dralcian shrugged.

**********Tala's POV**********

Last night, I couldn't believe what happened then. The others were right. Kai didn't remember me. He was the closest person I allowed to get to me. He was almost like a brother; no, he was my brother even if we didn't share the same blood. I'll make sure that no one harms my family. Then there was Rei. It seemed Kai had taken a liking to him. So the ice cold Kai had a weakness. Boris won't hear of this if I had my way.

Speaking of which, I was due for a daily report. Yawning, I swung myself into a sitting position and walked towards my suitcase. Normally, I carried fewer luggages, but Voltaire insisted I take along a few pieces of surveillance equipment as well as a well secured communication channel.

Not wanting to appear in my night clothes, I changed into my uniform. Once I found my appearance satisfactory, I went over to my suitcase and picked up the communication device. I opened it up and logged onto it. What was up with them and so many passwords?

"Tala, reporting in sir," I said in my cold and distant tone.

"Ah yes, Tala," Voltaire said with a voice that made my skin crawl. "Did you obtain the information I requested?"

"Negative sir. The subject refuses to comply unless he is directly giving it to you."

"That's Kai for you. Is there anything else?"

"Kai seems to have no memory of his past with the Abbey. He doesn't even remember Boris or the other Demolition Boys. Should I take action?"

"Not know." My superior had a look of disappointment on his face along with a frown. "The Bladebreakers will be heading for the Russian tournament. We'll wait until then before we make our move. Do you understand?"

"Perfectly," I replied in attention. "Is there anything else you need?"

"Do you know of any information we can use against Kai?"

Drat. I hope he wasn't going to get to that. Maybe I can stall him for some time and buy Kai some as well. Hopefully, I won't be losing a brother in the process or more importantly my life. "I have a few speculations, but I need to confirm them."

"Speculations are worthless," Voltaire growled. Suddenly, I heard the clanging of metal and a loud bang. He must have banged his hand against his desk. "You will come back here immediately and begin the preparations."

"Of course sir," I replied before shutting off the communications and making sure that it was off. "One of these days, you're not going to be ordering me around. I'm not your tool that you can use and throw away."

I clenched my fists and growled.

"One of these days, you're going to pay dearly."

Wingzero: o_0 So many POV's in this chapter. Rei, Kai, Dralcian, Rei again, bit beasts, and then Tala. ^.^ At least it's long.

Tala: Why did you change my name to Yuri?

Wingzero: *thwacks Tala* You're birth name is Yuri, but you're going to be Tala, except when you're alone with Kai or the other Demolition Boys.

Tala: Oh.