Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ scattered dreams ❯ a trip to the zoo and karsin. ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
OK CHAPTER FIVE!

Someone mentioned that it was a little hard to understand at the end. What I meant was that it was after the five o’clock news. Which could be 8-ish I guess, but I don’t really know.

As you know I changed the title from ‘Meeting Again on a Whole New Level’, to ‘Scattered Dreams’ because the old title sounded to boring to me. Hope you all like the new title; I would like feed back on it!


/
“That he’s ready for something like this?” Kai told him.
“I believe so, but we won’t know till we try.” Bryan told him. Kai and Tala nodded his head, and Bryan stood up. The other two followed his example, and the three went up to their room, and went to bed.
/

Kai sighed, as Rei continued to skip/walk in front of him. He wasn’t sure how he got stuck being the one to go with Rei to the zoo, or even why they were going for that mater. All he knows was that Rei was harder to say no to then Tala when he was pouting, with Rei’s kitty eyes and all. Now they were here in the zoo, and Rei was more or less running to get to the tiger cage. But he had always been that way, always obsessed with cats.
“Rei, be careful.” He called. Rei stopped and waited for him to catch up, taking his hand when he did so. The two continued on to the tiger exhibit, Rei humming a song the whole way.
“KAI! LOOK!” Rei exclaimed as he pointed at the tiger. “IT’S A PUB!”
“Yes Rei. Now calm down.” Kai told him, and Rei turned his eyes to him.
“Sorry, but I can’t help it.” Rei told him, almost jumping with excitement. Kai sighed, understanding what was going on. Rei was looking forward to everything, and he had been waiting to come here for weeks now, so he couldn’t contain it.
“It’s alright kitten.” Kai assured him, and Rei nodded his head to show that he heard. “If it’s ok Rei, can we go now? We’ll come back later, I promise.”
“Why do we have to go?” Rei asked, blinking his eyes in confusion.
“We still need to get lunch, plus I have a meeting in two hours.” Kai told him. Rei nodded his head in understanding; keep his hand in Kai’s. The two of them left the Zoo, not knowing or caring what people saw or thought about them, or the photographer taking a picture of them.

/

The two ate a light lunch, and were heading back to the car. They had decided to leave it at the zoo while they ate at a café two blocks over. Kai continued a few steps ahead, Rei lagging behind a little as he looked around him. The next thing Kai heard was the screeching of tires. He spun around to see Rei curled up on the edge of the street, a car a little farther away, skid marks less them six inches from Rei’s form. “REI!”
“K-Kai?” Rei asked, looking up at him. Kai bent down next to him, worry written on his face. Rei smiled at him, holding up a small kitten. “Look what I found. Poor thing was sitting in middle of the road; he almost got hit by that mean man.”
“Rei, did you go back for that cat?” he asked. Rei smiled and nodded his head. “Let’s go. Now.”
“Kai? Is something wrong?” Rei asked, standing up. Kai didn’t answer as he led the way back to the car. Rei fallowed behind, holding the kitten close to him. As they left, Kai completely forgot about the kitten, let alone checking to see if it was ok.

/

Tala came in, and was shocked that he didn’t get tackled by Rei. He knew that they were home, since their shoes and coats were in the entrance hallway closet. He hung up his coat, and headed down the hall, going into the sitting room when he saw Kai. Kai looked up when he came in, nodding once before starting to leave.
“Kai, love. What’s wrong?” Tala called, as Kai headed to the entrance hall.
“Rei.” Came the answer.
“What happened? Is he ok?”
“Verily.” Kai answered.
“What do you mean ‘verily’?” Tala asked, worry starting to set in.
“He nearly got himself hit by a car saving some stray cat.”
“He didn’t get hurt did he?” Tala asked and Kai stopped half way putting on his coat. “Kai?”
“I don’t know, I didn’t check.” Kai answered, fear in his voice. “What… what if he is hurt?”
“Kai I’m sure he’s fine. I’ll check on him, and call you. Ok?” Tala asked, and Kai nodded. He headed out side, his mind not on the meeting to come. Tala went back into the inner-house, heading up to Rei’s room. He entered without knocking, not really caring what Rei said. Rei was curled up on the bed, his shoulder shaking. “Rei? Kitten? Are you ok?”
Tala made his way to the bed, sitting down on the edge of it. Rei didn’t move or make a move to greet him. Tala shifted farther onto the bed, noticing that he was curled up, not looking at a small shape next to him on the bed. It took Tala a minute to realize that it was the kitten that Rei had saved. “Oh, kitten.” He reaches out and pulled Rei to him, as he lay down next to him. Rei turned toward him and buried his head into Tala’s chest. Tala rubbed his back soothingly. “It’s ok. Shush its ok”
“T-Ta” Rei started out after a few minutes. “T-Tala?”
“Yeah kitten?”
“Why can’t I do anything right?” he asked “Why does everything I try to do go wrong? Why did he have to die? I was trying to keep him self. I wanted him to have a family. A home here. So why did he have to die? Was he unhappy with that? WHY!?”
Tala helped him closer, gently rocking them. “He just wasn’t strong enough. It’s not your fault. Shh it’s ok.”
“No its not! I killed him! And Kai…” Rei broke off with a sob. “Kai hates me. He’s mad at me. Why! What did I do wrong now! I try to be good! To stay out of trouble! To not be bothersome!”
“Oh kitten. What makes you think that you’re bothersome? We love you just the way you are, we really do. And Kai isn’t mad at you. He’s just scared. He was afraid that you were hurt, or that something bad will happen. He doesn’t want you to get hurt, none of us do.” Tala told him.
“Really?” Rei asked. “You care about me?”
“Of course we do!” Tala told him. Rei looked up at him with red rimed eyes. Tala smiled at him, shifting to get up. “How about you go down to the sitting room, and I’ll get you something to drink. Hot chocolate sound good?”
“Yeah” Rei agrees, getting up. Tala shooed him out of the room, before turning back to the bed. He went into the bathroom and got an old towel before going back and getting the kitten. Taking it and going down stairs, he deposed of it. He then headed back and striped the bed, and put them into the wash. After that he headed into the kitchen and started making the hot chocolate for Rei. While the milk heated up, he picked up the phone and called Kai.
“Hello?” Kai’s voice came threw the phone.
“Kai, its Tala. The kitten died, and Rei’s blaming himself for it. He was also convinced that you hate him right now. I think I’ve got him off that one, but he’s pretty upset.”
“Damn.” Kai muttered. “You got everything under control for now?”
“Yep.”
“Ok then. I’ll talk to him when I get home.”
“Alright. I’ll call Bry and tell him what happened.” Tala told him.
“You do that.” Kai told him. “I’ve got to go. The meeting is going to start now.”
“Ok, bye Kai.”
“Bye.”
Tala hung up the phone, then dialed Bryan’s cell number. “Bryan.” Tala said before he had a chance to talk. “Rei nearly got hit by a car saving a kitten. The cat died and he’s depressed.”
“And you’re calling me to do what?”
“Come back with Kai. I think he’s blaming himself for not checking to make sure that it was ok.”
“I see. I’ll see what I can do, and I’ll try to bring something back to cheer up the kitten.” Bryan told him.
“Thanks” Tala told him, as he poured the milk into a cup, mixing in the mix. “Talk to ya later then.”
“OK, bye”
Tala hung up the phone, and put it down. He took the cup into the sitting room, to the kitten. Rei looked up at him, excepting the drink. They sat in silence for some time, before a small thunk of the cup hitting the floor. Tala looked up from the file he’d been reading in shock. Rei was slumped over on the couch, hand hanging over from when he fell asleep with the cup still in his hand. Tala got up, picking up the cup, relived that it had almost been gone so nothing spilt. He picked the blanket off the back of the couch, covering Rei up. Tala figured it was best to let him sleep here for now.

/

Bryan continued to walk down the street, his partner’s voice not even penetrating his thoughts. He just couldn’t find a way to cheer Rei up. He knew that the kitten would be even more upset then Tala had said. And Kai would most likely be in a bad mood.
“Bryan are you listening to me?” Karsin asked. Bryan turned to him, apologizing. Karsin was a normal enough boy and his partner since he had started as a cop. He had teal colored hair, shaggily hanging all over his head and deep purple eyes. He was quite the looker, and Bryan would admit, even if its was only mentally, that if he wasn’t so madly in love with his lovers and Rei he would have gone for Karsin.
“No” Bryan answered, continuing to walk.
“And why not?”
“Rei, the neko-jin that’s living with use, nearly got hit by a car today. I guess my minds still on that.” Bryan answered.
“And?”
“It was to save a kitten, and the kitten died.”
“So, you’re trying to find something to cheer him up.” Karsin stated.
“Yeah.”
“What does he like?”
“The thing he likes most is cats. Anything to do with cats.” Bryan answered. Karsin thought about it for a moment, before his face light up.
“This way!” Karsin told him, turning to go down another street. Bryan fallowed his partner down the street, used to his hyper behavior. He went to a store, telling Bryan to wait there. He came out a minute later with a big bag, and a huge smile. “Let’s go!”
“To where?”
“We’re off.” He answered. Heading off in the direction of Kai’s house.
“I have to pick up Kai first.” Bryan told him, and Karsin nodded. They walked the eight streets to his office, and headed up. They talked to the person at the front desk, and she called up to see if he was available, then handed Bryan the phone.
“Kai?”
“yeah.” He answered. “Look, go on home. I’ll be stuck here a few more hours.”
“You sure?”
“Yeah, I’m sure.”
“OK, see you later tonight.”
“You too.” Kai answered, and Bryan handed the phone back. He turned around and headed out, Karsin fallowing.
“He can’t leave.” Karsin stated, but Bryan nodded anyway. They walked back to the station to get both of their bikes. They made it back to his house in recorded time. They headed inside, and took off their coats and hung them up. They headed into the sitting room, and Tala looked up from the files he was reading.
“Welcome home, Bryan. Hello Karsin.” Tala greeted them. Karsin smiled brightly at him, looking around the room.
“So… where is he?” Karsin asked.
“Figures. Coming all the way here to see what is going on.” Tala muttered. Karsin smiled at him, looking over at the couch, noticing the blanket missing. He moved around and looked down at Rei.
“Cute.” He committed.
“Watch it Karsin, he’s ours.” Bryan told him. Karsin laughed, waving a hand at him. He leaned down to look closer, and blinked when a pair of gold eyes opened to look at him.
“Hi there” Karsin told him, smiling.
“Who are you?” Rei asked, sitting up to look at him.
“Names Karsin, I’m Bryan’s partner.”
“Oh.”
“And I got you something.” Karsin told him, reaching over to the bag that he had. “Well not really me. I picked it out and got it, but Bryan paid for it.”
“What is it?” Rei asked, looking at the bag. Karsin smiled, and pulled out a stuffed white and green cat. “Kitty!”
Karsin laughed at that, handing Rei the toy. He hugged it to him, a big smile on his face. “You like it?”
“Yes, thank you! It’s so cute!” Rei told him, jumping off the couch and hugging him. Rei pulled away just as fast as he had hugged him, looking scared.
“It’s ok Rei. Karsin won’t hurt you, or be mad.” Tala told him, and Rei looked up at Karsin. Karsin smiled at him, nodding his head. Rei smiled at him, then moved to get off the floor and hugged Bryan.
“Thank you Bryan.” Rei told him, smiling up at him. He then turned to Karsin. “Are you staying for dinner?”
“No, I can’t.” Karsin told him, “I’ve got to go, my boyfriend will be worried.”
“Oh… I see” Rei muttered. “You’ll have to bring him around so I can meet.”
“Will do!” Karsin told him, heading out of the house. Rei stood there watching him leave.
“Karsin is a little like Max” Rei stated, blinking his eyes.
“In a way.” Tala agreed. Rei smiled, still holding onto the toy. “You really like that toy, don’t you?”
“He’s really cute.” Rei told him. “And I’ll name him Driger.”
“You do that.” Bryan told him, nodding his head to show he approved. He then headed into the kitchen to cook, but stopped and looked over at Tala. “I think its time Tala. Why don’t you talk to him before Kai gets home? It’ll be better then if he was here getting in the way.”
Tala nodded, looking over at Rei, who was looking between them in confusion. Bryan nodded his head back, and then headed out of the room.
“Kitten, we need to talk.”