Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Sister of the Blade ❯ Kai and Takeshi p.2 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

'It always rains.'
He said that the day mom and dad went out.

(Flashback!)
Kai (6) and Takeshi (5) sat together in the living room watching TV as their parents came out, fully geared for the storm outside. They had to go a few streets down to pick up something from the neighbors. It was raining and blowing and thundering and roaring outside. The storm had kicked up so bad that they could not bring the car out of the garage for fear that the wind might blow it over. The two children begged for their parents not to leave, but the attempt was in vain.

(still flashbacky, but from Takeshi's POV)
Mommy and Daddy had to check on the neighbors, and we needed more candles and batteries, just in case the lights went out again. Kai and I cried as they left, shouting for them to be careful and to come back in one piece. Kai shut the door and took me back into the den, he wanted to keep watching the Russian Beyblade tournament.
"It always rains. Ever since the Beyblade tournament started, we recieved nothing but rain and lightning.", that was about a month ago, "But it was always a drizzle. Nothing as dangerous as this."
"Will Mommy and Daddy be okay?"
"Don't worry about it, Mom and Dad can take care of themselves." Kai hugged me and kissed my cheek. Then he playfully pushed me off the couch and told me to get ready for bed. He went over and turned the TV off and scooted me down the hall. As I crawled into my bed, the telephone rang. Kai went and answered it.

(And now from Kai's POV)
Takeshi worried about Mom and Dad going out. What a baby. If they could raise the two of us without any trouble, they could certainly take on this thunderstorm. But it was always raining nowadays, and it was wearing them out. The lights were constantly going out, and they had to go to the store on a regular basis to buy more lights, or batteries, or candles. This wasn't a regular storm, however. I wished, everytime that it thundered, that they had stayed home and watched the Championship with us.
"Will Mommy and Daddy be okay?"
"Don't worry about it, Mom and Dad can take care of themselves." I hugged Takeshi and kissed her on the cheek. It was time for bed, so I pushed Takeshi off the couch and told her to go to bed. She pouted and whined, but did as she was told. As I made sure that Takeshi got into her sheets properly, the phone rang.

(back to third person)
"Hello?" Kai snorted into the phone. What kind of idiot calls at ten at night during a storm? Takeshi, curious as always, peeked out her bedroom door to catch what she could of the converstaion.
"Is this the Hiwatari residence?"
"Yeah."
"Kai?"
"What?" he growled, tiring from the incessant questioning.
"Your parents... were just hit by a speeding semi... and..."
Takeshi watched as her brother's expression fell into the emotionless state it would stay in for a decade. He bid his good-byes and hung up. The entire house was silent. Kai walked over to Takeshi, placed his hands on her shoulder, and smiled the last true smile she would ever see on her brother's face.
"Go to bed, Takeshi." he said through the tears, "Things will be better in the morning."

But things weren't. That next morning, Takeshi woke up to several nuns standing around her, sighing and shaking their heads.
"Where is my brother!?!" she cried, sitting up.
"I'm sorry, sweetheart, but your grandfather Voltaire has taken him."
"No! I want Kai!"
"That's not possible..."
"No! Kai!" Takeshi wailed and buried her face in one of the nun's aprons. How could all of this be happening? "Where are my parents!?!?"
"They're dead, sweetie..."
Takeshi went into a state a suspended animation on her orphange bed. She did not move, speak, eat, and even at some time breath, for days. The horrible truth that she had lost her family took all its sweet and painful time to sink in.
::Mommy... Daddy... Kai.... this is all... a bad dream right?:: tears rolled down her taut face as she tried to convince herself it wasn't real ::Yeah... a bad dream... I'll wake up... and Mommy will be cooking breakfast, Daddy will be reading the paper, and Kai will be ready to tease me. Or maybe this is a big prank... that's it. Kai and Mommy and Daddy will jump out from behind a wall and shout 'Surprise!' and we'll go home and have dinner.::

Sadly, it was no dream, nor was it a prank. Takeshi did not wake that next morning to bacon and eggs, no one jumped out from behind a curtain. There was no surprise and big family dinner... there was nothing left for Takeshi.

Kai didn't have it very well off either.

Tears streamed down his face as he and Voltaire drove away from the orphanage. He couldn't believe that his grandfather was leaving his little sister at that awful place.

"Don't look so burdened, Kai." Voltaire said, patting the distraught boy on his shoulder, "She'll be fine."

"Why couldn't she come with us?" he growled.

"I need you to focus on beyblading. She'll only get in your way."

"Takeshi.. please forgive me..." he whispered, looking back out the window. The orphanage was too far away for him to see, "I'll come back for you someday..."

Kai's training was intense. For years he lifted weights, ripped cords, jogged, and survived his grandfather's workouts day after day, until he was stronger. Until he was stronger. Until he was stronger. But it just wasn't enough.

Everyday for the first year of training, Kai would spit in Voltaire's face and tell him he would escape and rescue his sister; everyday Voltaire would strike Kai down and threaten Takeshi's life because of his insolence. That first year was like a tiny ship in a big storm. The two relatives constantly at each others necks until...

"Enjoy this moment, Kai." Voltaire sneered as he let Kai out of the limo, "Those nuns are only persuasive once."

Kai loosened the tie around his neck and walked up to the orphanage. The sisters were able to convince Voltaire to let Kai and Takeshi spend New Year's together. He was nervous beyond all recognition. What would he say to her? What would she say to him? The quaking young blader knocked on the door and was greeted by a blue and red and white blur.

"KAI! KAI! KAI!" Takeshi, now an adorable 6 years old, tackled her brother, "HAPPY NEW YEAR'S! HAPPY NEW YEAR'S!"

"Off!" Kai cried, unable to breath from a combination of Takeshi's entire body weighing down on his chest and her hugging him as tightly as she possibly could.

"Oh, Kai! I missed you so much! I have so much to show you! Look! I've started BeybladingsosomedaymeandyoucanbladetogetherintheChampionshipanoverhereiswhe re..." Takeshi dragged Kai all over the orphanage, showing him where people slept, ate, fell, sneezed, etc.

"It's so nice to finally see them together." the nuns congregated in the kitchen as they prepared for the New Year's dinner.

"Maybe someday they'll be able to live together with a foster family."

"Has anyone seen Sister Alice?"

Takeshi showed the others in the house her brother. The older girls giggled and pinched his cheeks, telling him how adorable he was; the older boys fascinated with the fact that Kai had been able to stand up to the rambunctious little girl. Kai laughed and blushed at the attention he was recieving. It was nice to be with Takeshi, but their joy was short-lived.

Everyone gathered in the main room to watch the dropping of the New Year's ball in New York, all accept Sister Alice. She had gone off to find a child she thought had wandered away from the activities, but what she found, however, was no child.

"5!"

"Oh!", Alice jumped, "Mr. Voltaire! I didn't expect to see you here! Why aren't you downstairs with your grandchildren, celebrating New Years?"

"4!"

"I guess I got so caught up in all the cheer that I lost my way."

"3!"

"Well, I'll show you the way." Alice turned on her heels to head back out the doorway, never noticing the .45mm Voltaire had concealed in his coat.

"2!"

"Happy New Year's, Kai..."

"1!" The blood of the innocent nun splattered onto the walls and into the hallway. The children jumped as the gunshot rang throughout the house. A rush of silence washed over the orphanage as the other sisters ran upstairs to see what had happened.

"Oh, dear merciful God." Sister Ail cried, falling to her knees before the corpse of her fellow nun, "Who could have done this?"

There was a note tacked to her forehead, it read: 'This is what your happiness brings, Happy New Year's, Kai.'

They ushered Kai out of the orphanage as Voltaire drove up.

"How was it?"

"..."

"Good."

Kai and Takeshi waved good-bye as the nuns pulled Takeshi back in. It was the last time that the two would see each other for many years....

"Kai... what happened to you?" Takeshi cried into her refound brother's chest, "You've become to mean and cold!"

"I had to." He whispered as he gently nuzzled her red hair, "I didn't want to risk losing you again. All the training grandfather put me through... it made me strong, but not strong enough to protect you..."

"Kainii-san...."
***

^_^