Beyblade Fan Fiction ❯ Sooryavansham: The Dynasty of the Sun ❯ Traveling Entertainment ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3.
YES! Would you believe that technically, I wasn't supposed to post this for another few days, but I just couldn't resist. Consider this a 7th day of the 7th month of the 7th year gift!
Jackpot!
Disclaimer: No, no and nope. Though I do own the plot. Shay I continue saying no in various languages? No, nese, non, nien, niet, nehi, na, nunka, geen, nao, ingen, oya, tsaa, ci, la, iie, nahin...
Enjoy

Sooryavansham: The Dynasty of the Sun
By: Sholay

Where ignorance is bliss 'tis folly to be wise”
- Thomas Gray (1716-1771)

Chapter 3: Traveling Entertainment
...The Next Day...
“FINALLY!!”
The shout rang through the corridors of the school and many of the students raised their heads from their heavy textbooks in annoyance, only to lower them again with mixtures of sighs, shaking heads and smiles as they collectively realized who it was.
“FINALLY! I'M FREE!!”
Tyson ran through the school like a madman shouting his liberation to the whole student population; and he continued running, and shouting in general, until he smacked headfirst into something (or someone) and fell backwards with a yelp of surprise.
“HEY! Who did—OH! Chief! I didn't see you there.” Tyson blinked, surprised to see the small boy. They both pulled themselves to their feet slowly: Kenny with his laptop clutched tightly against his chest and Tyson, with the thick science book hanging limply from his fingers.
“Tyson,” Kenny stated calmly while adjusting his glasses, as though it was a daily occurrence for him to barely escape being road kill at his best friend's feet, “If I may ask, exactly why are you on a destructive rampage through the school corridors?”
Tyson ignored the jab and instead smiled widely. “I'm finally finished my exams! I didn't get to do them a week early like Max, so my last one was today. I'm officially free! YEAH!” He took a moment to celebrate with a little dance, while Kenny muttered that Max's case was special and the school didn't usually let—Then Tyson came back to his senses and interrupted the shorter boy mid-lecture.
“Oy, chief? What are YOU doing here? I thought that you finished your last exam yesterday? Don't tell me you love school THAT much?”
“No, no!” Kenny cried, not entirely convincingly. “I just had a small problem with Dizzi and I had to bring her here to… fix it…yeah.” He said lamely, drifting off at the end. Kenny was silently glad the computer wasn't turned on, so she couldn't give her opinion on the subject. “An-n-yway, it's a good thing I ran—or rather you ran—into me, Ms. Higurashi wants to see you in her room.”
“Ms. H? My math teacher? I wonder why…?”
Tyson and Kenny parted ways, but not before Tyson made one last crack on Kenny's presence at school.
“Hey Kenny, are you in LOVE with school? Huh? Hah, Kenny and Scho-ol sittin' in a tree, K-I-S-S—”
“Sh-shut up!”
“Ooo! Kenny swore! Lookit everyone! Kenny swore!” Tyson yelled excitedly, attracting quite a few glances.
“Oh, y-you! You are incorrigible! Absolutely intolerable!” Kenny cried and stormed off. Tyson laughed and sauntered away towards his math class. He wasn't too worried about what his math teacher wanted to talk to him about. After all, nothing could ruin his good day, right?

...Later, but not too much later...

“I DON'T WANT HILARY TO TUTOR ME IN MATH!!!”
Tyson's voice resonated throughout the school as he bellowed out his objection.
“Alright, then you'd rather fail the course and retake it during the summer instead.” His math teacher replied evenly.
When Tyson had entered his teacher's room, he had been all smiles. He had asked the teacher what she had wanted and from there the relationship had deteriorated into the proverbial train wreck.

` Flashback `

Tyson had almost reached his math teacher's room when he caught sight of a familiar figure standing next to the door
“What are you doing here?” He asked nastily.
“Why? You gotta problem with it?” She snapped.
“As a matter of fact, I do. What are you, stalking me or something?” He rallied back.
She visibly twitched, but didn't rise to the bait. Instead, a strange smile grew on her face. “Oh yes, Tyson, that's exactly what I'm doing, because, you know, CLEARLY my one desire is to follow you like a rabid fan. I'm not at ALL interested in causing your early demise.” Sarcasm dripped from her words like venom.
All of which was lost on Tyson, who grinned. “Oh yeah, see? I knew you were just—”
“Tyson? Is that you?” A soft voice called from inside the door and both teens immediately halted their verbal battle.
Tyson chuckled nervously, hoping his teacher hadn't heard the argument, “Heh heh, yeah, Ms. H, it's me.”
“Then can you come in, please, and close the door behind you.” Ms. Higurashi called again. Tyson nodded (in spite of the pointlessness of the gesture) and opened the door to the classroom. Sparing his rival one last glare he stepped inside and closed the door after him.
Inside the room, Tyson fidgeted awkwardly. He didn't like being around school unless it was absolutely necessary, and found himself thinking wishfully of the beydish in the park near his house.
“Um,” he began, not quite sure what to say. He rubbed his nose with self-consciously, “Ms. H? You wanted me for s'mthing?”
Ms. Higurashi looked up from the stack of exams she was correcting. Her lips lifted into a soft smile. “Yes, of course Tyson. Please, sit down. I'll only be a minute.” She said in a quiet tone, motioning to the student desk nearest to her own teacher's desk. She the buried her head back into her papers, assuming that Tyson would sit down without further motivation.
Tyson smiled to himself, making his way to the desk slowly and found himself apologizing profusely as he dropped his heavy book on the desk and his teacher jumped and looked around with startled eyes. Sheepish, and still apologizing, Tyson took his seat quietly.
He had always liked Ms. Higurashi. She never yelled, and always seemed calm. She always kept her long black hair pulled into a tight bun, and glasses perched precariously on the tip of her nose. She also had the entire math book memorized.
Of course, it wasn't her knowledge that appealed to Tyson. In reality, Ms. H was the only teacher laid back enough to let him call her `Ms. H' and in return, call him `Tyson' (instead of the customary `Granger' or `Mr. Granger'). Hormones, of course, had their influence on his view as well.
Tyson leaned forward over his desk trying to get a glimpse of the exams his teacher was marking. He was hoping to see `Granger, T' on one of the papers, but was disappointed when he saw only a `Zagart, Zeo'; one of the boys from a class below himself.
“Hey, Ms. H? Didja mark mine yet?”
Ms. Higurashi touched the bottom of her pen to her lips thoughtfully and considered Tyson over her glasses.
“As a matter of fact,” she said deliberately, careful of her words, “I did. In fact, your exam is the reason I called you here today.”
“Oh really?” Tyson asked, excited now. “How'd I do? How'd I do? Did I get the highest mark? Or maybe I aced—”
“You failed, Tyson.”
A THUD was heard as Tyson overbalanced the desk and fell face-first onto the ground, the desk tangled between his legs.
With a gasp of shock, Ms. Higurashi rose quickly from her chair and rushed towards Tyson, one hand over her mouth, and the other outstretched in the fallen boy's general direction. The red pen fell, forgotten, on her desk and a small red mark formed near one of the answers on the exam. `Zagart, Zeo' would later find out that he lost one mark on his exam thanks to that dot.
“Tyson!” The young teacher cried out worriedly. “Oh, Kami-sama!” oh, dear god! “Tyson, are you all right? I am so sorry; I should have been less direct. Are you all right?”
Tyson groaned, but managed to disentangle himself from the desk before Ms. Higurashi got there. She helped pull him to a sitting position against the wall and he remained there, legs sprawled out before him, rubbing his forehead with a grimace.
“Owww, that hurt… I don't think I broke anything though…” Tyson let his teacher pull him to his feet. Once he was standing fairly steady his eyes flew to the woman in front of him. “I'm sorry Ms. H, but I don't think I heard you properly. You didn't just s-say that I…f-FAILED my math exam, d-did you?” He asked, his voice squeaking pitifully at the end of the sentence.
Ms. Higurashi sighed tiredly. She was only 32 and already she was getting too old for this job. She ushered Tyson into another desk and this time made him sit sideways. She then lowered herself into the desk he was facing.
“Listen Tyson,” she spoke slowly, trying to phrase what she wanted to say in the correct words. “You have great potential. I know for a fact that you can do whatever you put your mind to. Do you remember in the beginning of the year, when Mr. Saotome bet 5000 yen$50 “that you would fail the test on rationals? Do you remember that you got a 100 on that test?”
Tyson gave a small nod, and then added: “But I studied for ages to do it!” He complained.
Before he could add anything else, the older woman raised one hand to silence him, “—and look where it got you! Tyson, not everything is easy in this world. Now, I know that you have certain talents…” Her eyes flew to the pocket where Tyson kept Dragoon and his hand unconsciously flew to cover it, as though to protect it.
“—but,” continued his teacher. “But,” she repeated, making sure she had his attention. “You must understand that sometimes things in this life don't just come to you. You have to work to achieve them. Those are the things that stay with you forever.”
Tyson was about to interject, but Ms. Higurashi beat him to it.
“I know; I know that you are having a particular amount of difficulty with this subject and I also know that if you don't shape up soon you will most likely fail this course.” Her tone picked up and seemed to acquire a teacher-ish `let's-get-down-to-business' aspect to it. “In light of this,” she continued. “I have decided to assign you a tutor.”
“A…tutor,” repeated the navy haired blader slowly, tasting the word as it rolled over his tongue.
“Yes, this girl has been doing very well in the course this year and she has agreed to spend some time with you over the holidays.”
`A girl eh?' Tyson pondered, `Maybe it won't be so bad. I hope she's pretty, she might even be a fan…'
“Ok,” agreed Tyson. “Who is she?”
“Just wait a second, I asked her to wait outside.” Ms. Higurashi rose from the desk and walked towards the door.
`Outside the door'…Alarms started going off in Tyson's head. `Oh no, it couldn't be-…!'
“Miss Tatibana, would you come in now?”
`It is.'
As soon as Hilary stepped into the room, he knew his fears had been confirmed.
“YOU!” They both cried as one.
Ms. Higurashi looked back and forth between the shocked teens, missing the tension in the room as it escalated to dangerous levels. “Oh good!” She said excitedly. “You know each other.”
Her voice finally faltered when she noticed the evil glares the two were giving each other.
“Um, is there a problem here?” She asked hesitantly.
“I don't want her to teach me over Christmas!” Tyson cried. “I'd rather loose my title as World Champion Beyblader.”
The teacher shook her head slowly, “I'm sorry Tyson. There is no one else. Do you feel the same way?” The last part was directed at Hilary, who appeared strangely thoughtful.
“I-” the girl started, then paused to consider something. “I… am still willing.” She said gingerly.
Tyson was stupefied. “WHAT!? Don't let her do it Ms. H. She'll choke me when I'm sleeping. Either that or she'll poison me while I'm eating.”
Hilary's eyes narrowed but she said nothing.
“Tyson!” The teacher admonished. “Don't speak about her in such a way. She is here to help you. Do not act so childish, this is the only way you will pass the course.”
Tyson crossed his arms and set his jaw stubbornly. “I DON'T WANT HILARY TO TUTOR ME IN MATH!” His voice resonated throughout the school.
“Alright, then you'd rather fail the course and retake it during the summer instead.” She replied evenly.

` End Flashback `

All was quiet in the room. Tyson and Hilary stood no more than three paces from each other: one with ire clear in his features, and the other unreadable. Ms. Higurashi stood between the two, looking more than slightly annoyed.
Finally, the silence was broken by the person they least expected to speak up.
“Look, I promise I won't do anything funny, okay? Also I apologize for putting gum in your hair.” Hilary herself looked surprised that she had spoken.
Tyson returned the statement with a look of astonishment, while Ms. Higurashi looked at Hilary with interest and mild amusement. Hilary merely glared a hole in her shoes and for a moment all was silent again.
“Well,” started Tyson suddenly. “You should be! After all-”
“Tyson.” The teacher warned.
“The boy sighed and relented finally. “Oh ok. I'm sorry for making fun of you. Happy?” He was amazed once more when the girl before him stuck out her hand.
“Truce?” She asked.
Tyson walked forward and considered the hand for a second before shaking it with a jerk. “Truce.” He said, then in a low whisper added, “that doesn't mean I like you.”
Hilary smirked. “Dually noted, and the sentiment is fully returned.”
Ms. Higurashi sighed inwardly. She was glad things had worked out, it saved her the extra effort (whether it would have been needed in a trip to the nurse, or after-school tutoring, she wasn't sure though).She had to give that girl, Hilary, credit though; first, for taking on such a hard challenge so readily -even if personal gain was a factor- and second; for pacifying the stubborn Tyson. The teacher knew first hand how difficult that could be. “I'm glad you reached an agreement. Now there is only one more thing to work out.”
Tyson and Hilary looked at her in question. “I understand that you, Tyson, are going away for the holidays, am I correct?”
Tyson's eyes widened. “Of course! Me, Max, Kenny and Kai are all going to Russia for a Beyblade reunion! Hilary can come too if she wants, we have a whole plane.” Here he shrugged, as though it was only natural to travel to travel in a private jet. Ms. Higurashi looked at him with a raised eyebrow, while Hilary seemed to be in shock. Tyson continued “We leave tomorrow. It's the whole break.”
Hilary made a choking noise. “TOMORROW?! OH MY GOD!” she cried aghast. “I'll never be ready on time! I have to go pack!” Then before either Tyson or his teacher could blink she had disappeared from the room.
“What is she in such a hurry for?” Queried Tyson, utterly baffled.
Ms. Higurashi just laughed, “call it a `girl thing'” was her brief explanation.
Tyson was hesitant in asking what this `girl thing' was, but before his curiosity could win out he was surprised to see Hilary's face reappear around the threshold.
Ano…” umm…“I just wanted to ask you one thing,” she said innocently.
“What is it?” Tyson asked, making a forced attempt to be civil.
“What's a bay-blade?”

TBC

...K'amaj, yelem, aye, voch, ba, ne, uh-uh, nee, ochi...
And I leave you there! No, I can't believe she hasn't heard of Beyblade either!
Oh yes! And before I forget...Sooryavansham is pronounced (Soo-riuh-vuhn-shum) and it does in fact mean the dynasty of the sun.