Big O Fan Fiction ❯ Season 2: Highway to Hell ❯ Act 17: Pawns ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The Big O : Act 17
(Season 2: Highway to Hell)
Pawns
(Rough Draft 1 Edition)
by Crystal Acids

FOREWORD: Anyone who saw my 'Checkmate' doujinshi idea, this is the original short it was based on. The rest would tell the actions of the night before (end of Act 14/16) when Roger and Dan make it to the Paradigm Group HQ in short "flashback" thoughts from various people reviewing that night.

----------

"Have I told you before how much I hate you?"

"Hate.. me?" Roger quickly decided to play like he was upset to the notion. Peering at the board, Roger lifted the rook and slid it over to take out a white pawn.

Dorothy stared at them from the doorway. She had been spying on them for the past 20 minutes without moving a muscle. Using one eye to gaze around the corner, every movement had been recorded into memory. Norman walked around the hallway corner to stumble into this odd picture. In front of him on the floor was a silver tray with sandwiches and drinks waiting to be delivered. And just past the resting silver was the small frame of one R. Dorothy Wayneright who seemed to be watching the two men play chess in the formal living room. Norman started to speak when her right arm raised swiftly to halt his disturbance.

"Dorothy…?" he continued on without fail. "Weren't you going to give Master Roger and Mr. Dastun their lunch?"

Dorothy had been pivoting on her left foot and holding the wall to watch the men without being obvious. Knowing that she would have to respond, Dorothy switched to pivoting on her right foot and leaned in toward Norman.

"Roger said he did not want to be disturbed."

Norman giggled at the thought. She had been following the instructions given to her to the letter. Norman waved it off, "I don't think that applies to being given their food."

Dorothy pondered the reasoning for a moment before picking up the tray. Marching in with a humored butler in tow, Roger and Dan gladly welcomed the interruption. Much like the study, this room was rarely used. Few decorations were displayed on the wall and bookshelves with the library's overflow seemed to rest in here. In the center of the room was an old round oak table with a marble chess set currently in use. At first glance, it seemed to be a true battle between the two old friends.

"That's an unusual story, coming from you that is." Roger grinned. Picking up a sandwich, he bit into his long awaited meal.

"I don't know what happened to her. When I went back, she had already left." Dastun added. Looking over at the silver tray, Dan snagged up a drink. Norman walked around to the other side and pulled the chess set over to allow room for the food tray.

"What are you doing" lightly questioned the android as she placed the tray down.

"Playing a game of kings. Chess is a challenge for the civilized man." Roger gloated. With that, Smith moved his black knight around. An over dramatic motion, the piece only moved a few squares. Dan studied the move presented before him.

Dorothy once again studied the board. Dan moved a pawn briefly to end his turn. Roger glanced at Dorothy waiting for her to leave once again. Norman saw the action and tried to snag her arm as he walked back out but she wouldn't budge.

"Dorothy.." Roger hinted, "you can go on now. I'll call you when we have finished." Dorothy turned and looked at him. In one movement, she turned 180 degrees and headed towards the door. However, she stopped once reaching the frame.

"Roger?" she softly prodded.

"Yes?"

"Do you know how to play chess?"

"Of course. And so does Dan. What kind of question is that?" his toned started to grow tiresome of this visit.

"I only ask..." her voice drifted off and she left the room and continued straight down the hallway towards the stairs... "…because your King has been in check for the past 13 moves by the pawn owned by Mr. Dastun." Roger and Dan looked at the chess board.

"R. DOROTHY WAYNERIGHT!" exclaimed an unhappy Negotiator.

***