Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ 30Kisses ❯ Sea of Sorrow ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The sound of waves fills his ears.

He knows they're not really waves. Seireitai is almost completely landlocked and the nearest body of salt water is kilometers away in Rukongai. The small pools and gentle brooks of the Court of Pure Souls are far too tranquil to create that murmur in his ears.

Rukia is crying.

Undoubtedly she thinks no one is awake now, no one can see her weakness in the dark. Yet he can still hear her, each hitch of indrawn breath and stifled moan. Her room is all the way on the other side of the house from his study and yet to his advanced senses she might as well be in the same room.

Rukia is crying.

He knows why. Three days ago she came home, covered with the blood of her mentor. The day before last a distraught (but not nearly remorseful enough in Byakuya's opinion) Captain Ukitate came and explained how his inaction had caused the death of his best friend at the hands of his adopted sister. Yesterday had been the funeral of Lord Shiba Kaien and the accusations of his sister and younger brother.

It's been three nights since Rukia murdered her vice-captain and every night she has cried herself to sleep.

She doesn't sound like Hisana. Hisana was silent, when she cried it was the scent of salt that alerted him to her distress. When Hisana cried he would slip from his bed to hers and gently, silently embrace her. He would lift her face to see how her tears would shine in the moonlight, then carefully kiss each one away.

He does not know how to comfort Rukia. The strength of the mask she shows the world and the care which she has taken to hide her sorrow make him feel unwelcome. Should he get up and go to her room he is sure he would be turned away, either with angry words or simple silence. What was so easy with Hisana seems so inappropriate with her sister.

Rukia is crying and there's nothing Byakuya can do.