Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ 30Kisses ❯ Make a Wish ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The first time they met, she had wanted to kiss him.

She had never thought herself a fangirl. Before Rukia had ever seen him, she had her life planned out thoroughly. Finish the Academy, enter the Gotai 13, rise to a comfortable position. Her skills would be sufficient to make her an officer, but she wasn't ambitious enough to shoot for Fukutaicho or a similar position. Get married to Renji and live out her life in (relative) comfort. She wouldn't ask for more than that.

But the first time she saw him, he took her breath away. It wasn't the face or the body or the hair or even the position. It was in his eyes, an chill that echoed within her own soul. She wanted to melt the ice behind those gray orbs, let it run free like spring water.

She'd try to put it away after the first meeting. She had her position, she had Renji, what more could she wish for? She went to the second meeting with the full intent of turning down the Kuchikis. But Rukia had never expected her friend (her lover) to throw her away like that. So instead she said yes. And thought she saw a touch of thaw come to those cold gray eyes.

It was hard, so very hard that first year. The servants did not respect her, the family was downright cruel. None of them ever raised a hand to her, but she could see the contempt in their indifferent eyes, hear the edge in every word they said. For Rukia, who had thought nothing could be worse than the deprivation of Rukongai, it was a shock to realize how much simple words could hurt. She spent many nights crying herself to sleep, muffling her sobs in the soft, luxurious pillows. Every morning she woke with shadows under her eyes, her face as pale as parchment. It was only the thought of that spring in Byakuya's eyes that kept her from running away.

Luckily the first year had been the hardest. Rukia began training with the Shibas, and with their help she began feeling more confident. She became more accustomed to her duties as 'Lady Kuchiki' and began pulling her weight in the unit. The servants began to respect her, the family started to treat her as a real member instead of an interloper. The only thing that didn't change was Byakuya's demeanor. If anything, he grew more aloof and distant from her.

It was Kaien and Miyako who finally told her the story, almost a decade after she had been adopted. Rukia had been shocked, frightened and a little angered. She had finally admitted that any change for the better she had seen in her brother had been a mistake on her part. And then to hear about his wife! She didn't know whether to be offended that she was just a replacement or flattered to think he may really have been attracted to her at one point.

Rukia crept into Byakuya's room that night. There she saw the picture of Hisana, the picture of the woman she was supposed to resemble. Kaien and Miyako had been right, the resemblance was quite uncanny. She turned to the bed, fully intending on demanding something from her adopted brother. An explanation, a release from duty-something! But when she saw his face, saw the tears that ran from his eyes in the moonlight she felt her heart soften. She thought back to that day when she had first seen him, when she had wanted to kiss him, wanted to comfort him. And she thought about what he had done for her, how her petty dreams of simply surviving had become the fertilizer for her greater ambitions. And she thought about her own past

She had given up wishing when she and Renji had left Rukongai. Her wishes hadn't saved her friends, so she had no right to use them for herself. But, just this one last time, she made another wish for another person. If only Byakuya could find peace and forgive himself for his wife's death, maybe she could do the same.

It would take many years before she realized that her wish was granted.
Converting /tmp/phptFOlqm to /dev/stdout