Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ A Woman Behind These Clothes ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A Woman Behind These Clothes

Summary: After concealing her true gender for years, Juushiro Ukitake thought she had the art of hiding mastered...but then Ichigo, in all his brash glory, happened to stumble across her secret. Is there a way to keep the loud orange-hair substitute soul-reaper quiet? Probably not...

Pairings: No real pairings, only if you squint and tilt your head just right. Renji/Byakuya in a short cameo.

Disclaimer: Don’t own any of the characters associated with the Anime of Bleach.

Warnings: Juushiro Ukitake is dictated as a female in gender in this story. Yes, I am well aware that he is male in both Manga and anime, but work with me here. A bit of Yaoi in this chapter, so if you don’t like, I suggest you turn back now. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

AN: Hello again, everyone. I was going to make this a two-shot but had the sudden need to write more, so here we are ^^

Comments and suggestions are always welcomed. Don’t be afraid to let me know what you think. Thanks in advance and I hope you like this chapter.

-

Chapter 3:

“Ah, good morning, Captain Ukitake.”

A bright smile immediately flittered across Ukitake’s lips when the owner of the timid greeting registered in her mind and she paused in her steps, turning to give her well wisher her full attention.

“Good morning, Kira-kun,” she greeted the young blonde lieutenant and waved cheerily at him, her eyes softening with a gentle warmth when the timid, but skilled blonde smile softly back at her.

She thought fondly of all of her fellow Soul Reapers, but Kira-kun here she has a soft spot for. There was a sense of vulnerability about him, something that only grew with the betrayal of his captain, who he was very fond off. She has been helping the young lieutenant as he tried his hardest to keep some kind of order within his Division.

A many night and evening had been spent trying to comfort those around her with words of comfort and reassurance. She had been dubbed the unofficial counsellor of the Soul Society, and she was proud of that title. No one could get away from her when she was in what Kyouraku liked to call ‘mother-hen mode’.

“You look well,” Kira said with a sense of genuine relief in his tone. “Are you feeling better?”

A light blush immediately appeared on Ukitake’s features, feeling guilty that so many seem to worry about her constantly. She always felt terrible after a coughing attack, especially if it happens in front of someone else. There was always this sense of panic and fear radiating off of her companion and no matter how hard she tried, she cannot convince anyone that she is fine with blood dripping down her chin.

Of course, while insisting that she was fine while coughing, it would often cause her companion to assume that she was becoming delirious from the loss of blood and his or her panic would only grow.

“Yes, I’m fine,” Ukitake quickly reassured as she tilted her head to the side in a cutely fashion (well, Kyouraku tells her it’s cute, she wouldn’t know either way) and gave Kira a gentle smile that said both ‘thank you’ and ‘sorry’ for your worry and concern. “I appreciate your concern, but please don’t waste it one some like me, ok?”

Kira looked ready to protest but was called away by one of his fellow reapers before the words had a chance to form. “Ah, excuse me, Captain Ukitake.”

“Not at all, Kira-kun,” Ukitake said warmly as the blonde bowed his head in apology. “I hope you have a good day.”

“Thank you,” Kira replied warmly as he straightened his posture. “I hope your health continues to improve,” he said before turning on his heel and jogging away.

“What a nice young man he is,” Ukitake muttered cheerily to herself as she once again found herself walking through the busy streets of the Sereitei, the warming sun feeling wonderful against her cool skin, the gentle breeze filling her lungs and clearing her senses.

It has been over a week since her last coughing attack that drew blood and that certain little incident involving a certain someone with bright orange hair bursting into her bathroom while she was in it, half naked.

Even now, a week later, she’s still finding it hard to believe that after countless decades of hiding herself, Ichigo had to find out in such an abrupt way. Well, from what Rukia tells her, Ichigo can be rather direct in whatever he chooses to do in life.

Since their agreement, one that allows Ichigo access to the Ugendo whenever he needed a place to hide from Kenpachi when he was on the warpath, she has seen him twice, both times his appearance quite sudden and explosive.

The first time he appeared, he simply clambered through her window and practically dived into the linen closet, slamming the door shut behind him forcefully. Kiyone had been there at the time and was understandably shocked by what she just saw. She had to explain to the poor confused girl that yes, she did just see Ichigo, but she’s not to tell Kenpachi that she did.

Funnily enough, though, after that first incident, Kiyone wasn’t that weary of Ichigo. In fact, she along with the rest of her squadron seemed to accept his presence whenever he strolled by or visited the Seretei.

As she remembered the second time he appeared at the Ugendo, it brought a smile to her face and a light spring to her step. He literally came crashing from the blue. She had been gazing out at the waters surrounding her place of serenity when all of the sudden a dark blur in the water startled her and loud splash caused her to leap to her feet, ready for battle. However, it was just Ichigo. He must have been swimming under the water when he reached the wooden structure, grabbed it with both hands and practically threw himself out of the water.

She remembered just standing there in complete shock as Ichigo puffed and panted, his soul reaper garments sticking to his slender, but muscular frame like a second skin, his Zanpakuto hanging limply in one hand as his posture was slumped forward as if he had been running for a very long time. His usually spiky hair was sleeked over his eyes and even though his gaze was hidden away, she knew that his eyebrows were twitching violently.

When he muttered; “Damn Kenpachi”, Ukitake couldn’t help herself; she started laughing.

Of course, Ichigo became even more disgruntled that she was laughing at him and demanded that she stop. How could she not laugh, though? He looked like a drowned rat!

She hadn’t laughed that hard in years! Unfortunately, it came to an abrupt halt when she started coughing and promptly sunk to the floor. She almost couldn’t breathe; she was laughing and coughing at the same time.

Rukia then burst into the room after hearing her coughing quite loudly and found Ichigo kneeling in from of her, soaking wet and she faltered in her steps. The sweet girl didn’t know whether to laugh at Ichigo’s sodden appearance or panic over her illness. Luckily, she managed to get herself under control with Ichigo’s gently hands and words of reassurance before being granted with the show of ‘affection’ between Ichigo and Rukia as they bicker loudly at each other.

It’s hard to believe those two are friends, they’re so different. Then again, she’s been friends with womanizing Kyouraku for centuries, hasn’t she?

“Renji...”

Pausing mid-step at the sound of a familiar voice in a not-so familiar vulenerable way immediately caught Ukitake’s attention. Looking at her surroundings, she quickly realized that she was walking past the Kuchiki residence, however that voice, belonging to none other than Byakuya, wasn’t coming from inside, it was actually coming from a small alleyway behind the complex.

As her interest peaked, Ukitake suppressed her spiritual pressure to conceal herself and quietly made her way toward where she thought she heard Byakuya’s voice. Drawing closer, she soon realized that Byakuya wasn’t alone, his lieutenant was with him.

Now, what were the two of them doing all the way out here?

Peering around the corner, Ukitake had to cover her mouth with her hand, not because she needed to cough, but to hide the gasp of surprise from surfacing. Her surprise soon gave way to joy when her mind finally registering what was happening before her.

With his arms wrapped securely around Byakuya’s petite waist, Renji had his captain pressed tightly against his chest, his lips moving so passionately against his that Byakuya had to grasp onto Renji’s shoulders to stay upright. However, with Renji’s arms as strong as steel around his smaller frame, Byakuya wasn’t going anywhere.

A soft moan of contentment slipped from Byakuya’s throat when one of Renji’s hands slipped from his back and into his dark raven hair, tilting his head ever-so slightly to the side to deepen the already highly passionate kiss.

Ukitake smiled warmly at the two before silently slipping away, hoping not to disturb the two of them.

“I knew they would make the cutest couple,” Ukitake said to herself quietly as she set a course to meet up with her betting partner. “Wait until Kyouraku hears about this.”

Reaching the 8th Division wasn’t difficult as she had made this journey many times before; the path way between her Division and Kyouraku’s well worn as they often made it their duty to seek each other out for a friendly conversation or to discuss pressing matters before coming to a decision of their own.

However, as she reached her friend’s office, she quickly realized that Kyouraku was nowhere to be found, the disgruntle exasperation from his loyal lieutenant taking his place, seemingly reluctantly.

“Oh, good morning, Nanao,” Ukitake greeted warmly to the frazzled younger woman, her eyes shimmering with a sense of concern at her tired and weary expression. “Is everything alright? You look tired.”

“Captain Ukitake...” Nanao murmured, somewhat pleased to see her as her eyebrow gave a twitch.

Ukitake looked at the seemingly frail, but really quite powerful young woman and knew immediately what was wrong. Really, no words were necessary. She had seen that look of utter annoyance on Nanao’s face too many times now.

Honestly, a day just couldn’t go by without Kyouraku doing something that annoyed poor Nanao greatly.

“I see,” Ukitake said with a small sympathetic smile. “Kyouraku skipped out on his paper work again?”

Again, Nanao’s eyebrow gave a dangerous twitch. “How can you tell?”

“I’ll see if I can find him,” Ukitake said as she resisted the urge to pat the younger woman on the head. It was something she tended to do to a lot of people, especially those shorter than her (Toshiro-kun being her favourite!), but she knows Nanao wouldn’t appreciate it very much. “I wish to speak to him about something personal. I’ll let him know that his behaviour is not acceptable, shall I?”

A flicker of gratitude appeared in Nanao’s eyes before she nodded her head sharply and pushed her glasses further up her noise. “Please do,” she said before walking away, keeping a tight rein on that large book of hers.

Still smiling, Ukitake turned on her heel and began walking away from the 8th Division headquarters. She knew exactly where Kyouraku was, no doubt lounging about in his secret spot and enjoying the sun. After all, it was a beautiful day today.

After a few minutes of walking, Ukitake came upon a grassy hill covered in wild flowers with a single large Sakura tree offering shade to anyone who wished to spend the whole day sleeping. And that is exactly where she found Kyouraku; leaning up against the trunk of the tree, his hat covering his face as he casually rested his arms behind his head as his pretty flowery kimono sprawled underneath him like a bed.

He appeared as if he was in a deep sleep, however, Ukitake knew well enough that he was just dozing.

“There you are, Shun,” Ukitake said as she settled herself down on the grass next to him, smiling softly when the taller male shifted discreetly over so she could lean onto the trunk of the tree next to him. “I thought I’d find you here.”

Slowly lifting his hand to push his hat up away from his face with one finger, Kyouraku peered out from behind the brim, his lips easily curling into a smile as he gazed up at his new companion. He discreetly studied her for a moment, seemingly searching for any kind of illness that often takes hold.

“Hey, Juu,” he drawled slowly, making no effort to pull himself out of his relaxation. “Did you come all this way to see me? How thoughtful.”

“You really must be nicer to your lieutenant, Shun,” Ukitake quickly berated and gave her long time friend a gentle nudge in the ribs in an attempt to get him to sit up properly. “Poor Nanao isn’t happy with you right now.”

Kyouraku’s body shook for a moment as he chuckled fondly to himself and finally made an effort to sit up, but he did not move very far at all and slumped back against the tree, his shoulder brushing against Ukitake’s as he made himself comfortable.

Poor Nanao certainly had her hands full with Kyouraku as her captain.

“Ah, dear sweet, Nanao. She’s a feisty one, isn’t she?” he said brightly, causing Ukitake to laugh gently at their captain-lieutenant relationship.

No one else in the entire Seretei quite had a working relationship like they did.

“So, I see you’re feeling better,” Kyouraku suddenly comment as he pushed his hat a little higher upon his head.

“Yes, I feel great today,” Ukitake replied cheerfully, pushing away her guilt that she once again made her good friend worry about her health. He always worried about her and it broke her heart to see that concern shimmering in his deep, wise eyes. “I’m in a good mood.”

“Oh?” Kyouraku replied as his smile grew a fraction larger. “And why’s that?”

Ukitake sent him a bright grin as she clapped her hands in front of her, tilting her head cutely to the side once again. “I have some news I don’t think you’ll like very much.”

“Oh?” Kyouraku said once again, shifting a little straighter in his spot to turn and give the beautiful white-haired woman next to him his full attention. He studied her again for a moment, feeling pleased that she was looking so happy and quickly found her cheerful outlook contagious. “From that smile I’d say I lost a bet. Ok, which one is it?”

Ukitake held up her hand and showed him two fingers, that same beautiful smile not faltering. “Two, actually.”

Kyouraku looked intrigued and pulled out his secret Sake bottle and cup he carried with him everywhere. “Hmm?”

Shaking her head in amusement at the sudden appearance of her friend’s favourite beverage, Ukitake wondered if she should make Kyouraku guess which one or simply tell him.

Nah, she’ll just tell him. It’s not like he’ll be shocked or anything. “Renji and Byakuya are secretly dating and Byakuya is considered the uke,” she said quickly with a hint of excitement in her voice.

And just as she expect, Kyouraku merely raised an eyebrow as a chuckle escaped his lips. “Really?”

“No word of a lie,” Ukitake informed him. “I saw them with my own eyes. It was actually kind of sweet watching the two of them together.”

Yet again, Kyouraku studied her silently. To anyone else, his critical gaze would have made them feel nervous, unsure or small, but Ukitake had known Kyouraku for a very long time, she was used to his relentless gazes. However, his looks of concern still tugged at her heartstrings.

“Ah, but I sense there is more to it, am I right?” Kyouraku drawled as he took a sip of his sake, offering her some even though he knew she would decline.

“No, you’re right,” Ukitake said as she chuckled lightly at her friend’s amazing observational skills. “Ichigo informed me first, but I really did see the two of them together. Just a few minutes ago, actually. Ichigo admitted that he walked in on them while they were together. He was so embarrassed; I guess he didn’t want to speak about that sort of thing to an older woman like me, right?”

Again, Kyouraku’s interest was caught. “Ichigo?”

“Oh, Ichigo knows of my gender,” Ukitake explain when she saw the confusion in his gaze.

“How?”

Immediately, a blush danced across Ukitake’s features and she lifted a hand to shyly curl a stand of rebellious hair behind her ear. She knew immediately then when she would tell Kyouraku that Ichigo knew her secret he would want to know how.

Ooh boy, he’s going to love this.

“Well...” she stuttered for a moment before deciding to simply bite the bullet and tell it to him straight. “He walked in on me while I was having a bath,” she said quickly with a sigh of defeat.

Unfortunately, Kyouraku had been taking a sip of Sake at the time and had spat it out in surprise, turning his head to the side so he didn’t spray it all over her, thankfully. After a second to catch himself, Kyouraku then started laughing quite loudly, causing the blush on her cheeks to darken considerably.

“It’s not that funny, Shun,” she tried to scowl but didn’t come out as stern as she had hoped.

Kyouraku composed him quickly, but humour continued to dance in his eyes. He then shifted in his sitting position again to throw an arm around her shoulders and playfully pulling her against his side so he could whisper into her ear.

“Aw, I’m jealous, Juu-chan,” he said with mirth abundant in his voice. “Why him and not me?”

“Oh, please,” Ukitake all but snorted at the implication and pushed back a little, but stayed in his embrace nonetheless. “I think I traumatized the poor thing,” she added with a hint of guilt in her voice.

“What makes you say that?” Kyouraku asked as he poured himself another drink of sake with one hand.

“He was all red in the face and stuttering,” Ukitake explained as she took a moment to remember Ichigo’s facial expressions when he realized that he was standing in the bathroom with a nearly naked woman he thought was a man. “I’m surprised he’s able to look me in the eye without blushing.”

“Traumatized, huh?” Kyouraku repeated with a sense of humorous disbelief in his tone.

Ukitake shrugged lightly and gave him a bashful smile. “Well, he did see me half naked.”

Kyouraku suddenly sighed dramatically and pulled her abruptly against him again. “What I wouldn’t do to see you half naked.”

“Control yourself, Shun, as if you would want to,” Ukitake said in embarrassment even though she knew he was only joking. Honestly, who would want to see her, of all people, half naked?

“Anyway, he’s been hiding out at my place for a while.”

“Oh? Why’s that?” Kyouraku queried.

“I suppose you could say it’s a part of our deal,” Ukitake said as she rested her head on his shoulder and turned her gaze to the seeming endless green fields of wild flowers, enjoying the way the cool breeze played with her hair and the oddly comforting smell that could only be described as Kyouraku’s essence. “He won’t tell anyone of my true gender as long as he can hide from Kenpachi at the Ugendo.”

Kyouraku rested his head on top of Ukitake’s hair as he mulled over the words. “Do you think I could hide out with you for a while?” he asked quite suddenly.

“Hmm?” Ukitake hummed as she lifted her head off of his shoulder to look into his eyes. She once again tilted her head to the side in question, a sense of confusion in her gaze. Kyouraku was more than welcome to come to the Ugendo whenever he wanted and he often did.

“Why?”

“Nanao is so mean and cruel!” Kyouraku suddenly wailed playfully, pulling her into a big hug that caused her to literally squeak in surprise. “She makes me do paperwork on days like today, hits me with that book of hers whenever I give her a compliment and wakes me up when I take a small nap by kicking me in the ribs!”

Ukitake couldn’t help but roll her eyes at Kyouraku. She will berate her old friend for causing Nanao-chan so much trouble...after she stop giggling at his overly innocent expression first.