Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Bleach Baseball ❯ Inning Eight ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Inning Eight
“It's the top of the eighth and we still have a 5-5 tie between these two well-matched teams,” Urahara announced. “The tension is really starting to get to this crowd, wouldn't you say, Yoruichi?”
“Absolutely, Urahara,” Yoruichi agreed. “In fact, those two fans over there seem really tense.” She pointed into the stands, where a wiry Hollow covered in long whip-like tentacles had one of his longest tentacles wrapped around the neck of a stocky Shinigami at the edge of a neighboring section. The Shinigami was starting to turn blue. “Perhaps this is a good time to mention that murdering opposing fans might cause a delay of game.”
The attacking Hollow reluctantly unwound his tentacle and retracted it. “He had it coming!” the Hollow grumbled. “My tentacles do not look like spaghetti!”
“Um, yeah, ok,” Yoruichi said. She lifted her eyebrows and mouthed the words “Yes they do” at Urahara.
Urahara just blinked. “First up for the Arrancar is Stark. He's two for three with a home run. Stark has a lot of power when he chooses to use it.”
Stark stepped out of the dugout blinking sleepily.
Ulquiorra touched his elbow. “I think it would be better for all concerned, especially you, if you did not return to the dugout too quickly.”
All the sleepiness went out of Stark's expression. “Ah… so, you want me to get a hit?”
“Yes. It's always good for the team when the first batter gets a hit.” Ulquiorra regarded Stark without blinking.
“I can do that,” Stark agreed hastily. He scurried to the plate. “Man, that guy creeps me out,” he whispered to Ganju.
Ganju nodded. “He's pretty stern. I hope he doesn't slit you open when we strike you out.”
“You wouldn't do that to a poor fellow, would you?” Stark pleaded. “How about an easy single?”
“That doesn't really work for us.”
“What is this, a competition?”
“Well, yeah.”
“Fine! I'll just get a hit on my own.” Stark peeked over his shoulder at the dugout. “Because I'm not going back in there any sooner than I have to.”
“If you insist.” Ganju gave Ichigo a sign. Ichigo wound up and pitched a sharp curveball. Stark managed to get a good piece of it and sent a high bouncing ball into right center field. Hitsugaya blazed over to pick it up and Stark stopped at first with a pleased smile on his face.
“Now if the rest of them get out I can't be blamed,” Stark said.
“Sure you can,” Kenpachi disagreed cheerfully. “If you get thrown out at second because you're too slow, I'm sure your manager will want to discuss that with you.” He grinned delightedly at Stark.
Stark rubbed the back of his head. “That's not a good thought.” He took a lead off first. “If you'll excuse me…”
Kenpachi laughed loudly. “Go right ahead.”
Grimmjow swaggered to the plate. “I don't need threats to remind me to kick your sorry ass!” he crowed at Ichigo. “We'll see who has the biggest balls when the game's over and we've won!”
“You offering me a quickie?” Ichigo sneered.
“That's not what I said!” Grimmjow screamed back.
“I don't normally swing that way,” Ichigo continued as if Grimmjow hadn't spoken, “but if you're real deep, I might make an exception.”
Grimmjow's face turned crimson and he twisted his fists around the handle of his bat. “Just pitch the ball!” he growled.
Still smirking, Ichigo treated him to a speedy 350 mph fastball. Grimmjow swung with a loud grunt, but he missed. The next pitch was also a fastball, but this time Grimmjow was all over it. He smacked the ball deep into left center field and Renji had to play it off the wall. Stark was already well off first, so he blew past second and ran like the wind for third. Seeing that, Grimmjow turned on the jets and streaked for second.
“Yeah, just ignore me,” Halibel mumbled as he rounded first without even looking at her.
Renji fired the ball in and Grimmjow dove for second head-first, his arms outstretched. Ikkaku took the throw with his back to Grimmjow, so he just swept his glove down hard, feeling for a hand. He clouted Grimmjow solidly right on the bony side of his face.
“Ow!” Grimmjow cried.
“Oops!” Ikkaku tried to look innocent.
“Safe!” Noba said, his little arms flared out.
Grimmjow scowled at Ikkaku as he stood up, dusting off his uniform. “You did that on purpose.”
“Any part of the base runner is fair game for a tag,” Ikkaku explained unconvincingly. “Besides, it's not like it's gonna bruise there.”
“It still hurts!”
“Don't be such a wuss!”
Byakuya lifted an eyebrow at Ichigo. “Perhaps you should stop antagonizing him. He seems to do better when you make references to his inadequate manhood.”
“He's just compensating!” Ichigo growled.
“His compensation may cost us the game,” Byakuya pointed out. “Try to keep focused on the task at hand. After all, the size of his genitals is irrelevant.”
“Maybe to you!” Matsumoto laughed. “There may be others who care!”
“Can we stop discussing my private parts?!” Grimmjow shouted. “It's not like they're hanging out there to be the topic of your conversation!”
“Are you sure?” Matsumoto grinned. “How can we tell?” She eyed him with amusement.
Grimmjow clenched his fists and gritted his teeth to keep from responding.
“I like him!” Yoruichi said. “He sure is fun to tease.”
Urahara just shook his head. “The Shinigami are in trouble now. With the first two batters making solid contact, Ichigo needs to get three outs without letting any runs score. This could be tough.”
At the plate, Tousen faced Ichigo patiently. Scowling, Ichigo shook off the first two signs before accepting the third. He held his stance for a long time, checking the base runners multiple times before starting his wind up. The first pitch was a curveball outside.
“Ball one!”
The second pitch was low and inside, forcing Tousen to pull back slightly to avoid being hit.
“Ball two!”
The third pitch was a breaking ball over the plate. It would have been low too, but Tousen dropped his shoulders and smacked it right over Rukia's head. Rukia jumped for it, but it cleared her outstretched glove by at least twenty centimeters.
“Crap!” Rukia swore uncharacteristically.
Stark made it home standing up.
Luppi waved Grimmjow around third, even though Chad was fielding the ball on a clean bounce. “Move it, Grimmjow!” Luppi shouted. “You can beat the throw!”
Grimmjow pounded down the line with his head down. Once again, he dove in head first when Luppi shouted at him to slide. The ball came in past his shoulder as dust billowed up around him. The throw was a little high and Ganju had to pull the ball down a long way. He slammed his glove into the back of Grimmjow's head.
“Safe!” Isshin shouted.
“Ow!” Grimmjow shouted.
“Goddamit!” Ichigo shouted.
“Oh, no!” the Shinigami fans groaned.
“Yay!” the Hollow fans screamed wildly.
“And the Arrancar are up by two on Tousen's long single!” Urahara announced excitedly.
“He could have stretched that into a double with the play going to home,” Yoruichi sniffed. “Pussy traitor.”
“Time!” Yachiru called loudly. She trotted out to the mound and stared up at Ichigo with her little arms crossed. “What are you doing, poppy-head? Do you like letting them hit the ball?”
“No!”
“So stop it!” She kicked him in the shin.
“Ow!” When he bent over to rub the place she kicked, she rapped him on the top of the head with her knuckles. “Use your brain, silly. I assume you've got one. Throw pitches they can't hit.” She made her eyes go big. “You don't want me to have to replace you, do you? That would make me so sad.”
Ichigo rolled his eyes. “No, I don't want you to replace me. I'll get the next three out, ok?”
She grinned happily. “Ok!” Yachiru trotted back to the dugout.
Ichigo drew a deep breath.
Standing at the plate leaning on his bat, Gin grinned at him. “Feelin' the strain, are ya? Well, it's tough bein' a human around all this greatness.”
“What greatness?” Ichigo smirked, putting his usual I've-got-it-under-control expression back on. “I'm more than enough for this lot.”
“Oh, really?” Gin settled into his stance, still grinning. The infield inched forward, thinking bunt. Gin's grin got wider and he took a hard swing at the first pitch, but missed. Everyone quickly backed up. But after the next two pitches went by without him moving, they all inched back in again. Gin tried another full swung and missed again, but it moved the infield back. On the next pitch, Gin brought the bat around quickly, but then softly bunted the ball back toward Ichigo.
Unfortunately, it had a little more speed on it than he wanted. Ichigo flew off the mound and scooped the ball up in his bare hand, but instead of throwing to first, he whirled, jumped and threw the ball to Rukia as she streaked toward second from her position at shortstop. Rukia skimmed over the base with the ball in her hand two steps ahead of Tousen and blazed it to first in stride. Ken stretched for it and caught the ball a half-step ahead of Gin.
“He's out!” Lirin declared with high-pitched finality.
“Whoa!” Yoruichi cried. “That was a pretty double-play off the bunt!”
“It sure was!” Urahara agreed. “And the Shinigami have two quick outs, with Wonderweiss coming to the plate. Wonderweiss had one good hit, but then got out on a base running error.”
On his way back to the dugout, Tousen veered over to collect Wonderweiss out of the batting circle. He led Wonderweiss to the plate by one hand, while Wonderweiss trailed his bat in the dirt with the other. Tousen leaned over and looked him in the eye. “Now do just like last time,” he said. “Hit the ball with the bat.”
Wonderweiss nodded enthusiastically. “Ahh!”
“That was very good. We were all quite pleased.”
“Aaooo!” Wonderweiss cooed. Then he giggled. Tousen patted his shoulder and headed back to the dugout. Wonderweiss blinked at Ichigo and waggled his bat in the air. “Bat!”
“Yeah,” Ichigo said. “You have a bat.” He threw a breaking ball and Wonderweiss hit it right over his head. The ball bounced over second and Ikkaku dashed out to get it. Wonderweiss watched him chase the ball with wide eyes.
“Run, you idiot!” Luppi screamed.
Wonderweiss dropped his bat and started running toward Luppi.
Luppi smacked his forehead. “Not to me, you jackass! That way!” He pointed toward first.
Wonderweiss stumbled to a halt and stared at first. “Butterfly?”
By this time, of course, Ikkaku had the ball. He threw it to Kenpachi, even though Isshin and all three base umpires were making signs that Wonderweiss was out.
Luppi groaned. He caught Wonderweiss by the hand and took him back to the dugout. “I'm just not gonna say a word,” he muttered. “Not a single word.”
The Shinigami players ran in and the Arrancar players jogged out onto the field.
“That was, uh, an interesting finish to the Arrancar's at-bat,” Urahara announced. “But they scored two runs and are now leading by a score of seven to five as we enter the bottom of the eighth. First up for the Shinigami is Rukia.”
Matsumoto leaned on the dugout railing and smiled wistfully. “Rukia brings such grace to baseball. She's so feminine and so powerful at the same time. That's what baseball needs: more women players.”
“That's a great idea!” Ganju agreed. “I love watching girls' jugs bounce when they're running!”
“What?!”
“Oh yeah!” Ganju's gaze became reverent. “The way they jiggle around and sway back and forth! It's just inspiring! You can't go wrong when there's bouncing titties to stare at!”
Matsumoto pursed her lips. “Like this?” She shoved her ample bosom into his face.
“Now that's what I'm talkin' about!” Ganju sighed and he nestled his face into the creamy white flesh.
“Uh, Ganju?” Hanataro spoke up. “That might not be a good idea.”
“Hm?” Ganju mumbled blissfully. He tried to pull away and discovered he was stuck, because Matsumoto was mashing her boobs with both hands. His face was trapped. “Mmm!” He struggled to push free.
“Matsumoto,” Ichigo said calmly. “Do you mind not suffocating our catcher?”
“He deserves it! Making such disrespectful remarks about the virtuous Rukia.”
“I don't think he was talking about Rukia's tits,” Ichigo said. “She hasn't got any.”
“Don't you start!”
“I'm just sayin'.”
“Shall we watch the game?” Hitsugaya interrupted loudly. “We're behind and Rukia has two strikes already.”
“What?!” Matsumoto ejected the gasping and red-faced Ganju from her cleavage. “They're pitching already?”
“Yes, which you would have noticed if you had not gotten all wrapped up in something as unimportant as a woman's mammary attachments.”
Matsumoto thrust out her chest. “My mammary attachments are NOT unimportant.”
“Come on, Matsumoto,” Ichigo said, “you can hardly expect a little kid like Toushirou to appreciate a woman's endowments. You gotta wait for his balls to drop.”
“I am not a little kid!”
“Sure, kid.”
“When this game is over,” Hitsugaya grumbled, “I'm going to help Grimmjow beat the shit out of you.”
At the plate, apparently oblivious to the animosity and near-death experience in her dugout, Rukia faced Grimmjow, waiting patiently for the next pitch. Grimmjow was pitching to her very carefully, keeping the ball on the edges of the plate. But then he tried one down the middle and she punched it over his head and into center field. Yammi came in for it quickly and she pulled up at first.
“Nice lead-off hit, Rukia!” Ichigo shouted encouragingly.
Kenpachi stepped out of the on-deck circle swinging a bat with Yachiru clinging to the barrel.
“Now relax, Ken-chan!” Yachiru ordered. “Just take a deep breath, focus on the ball, and hit it.”
“Right!” Kenpachi peeled her off his bat and set her on the ground. “I can do this!” He marched to the plate and took several hard swings. “I'm ready!”
Grimmjow tried his knuckleball, but Kenpachi wasn't fooled this time. He jumped on the first pitch and cracked it deep into center field. Yammi raced for the fence and jumped, using the wall to give himself more height. He caught the ball at the top of the fence, to the infinite relief of the Hollow crowd.
Kenpachi skidded to a halt half-way to second with a disappointed groan. He slumped back to the dugout, where Yachiru hopped onto his shoulder. She patted him on the head. “Don't worry about it, Ken-chan! That was good contact. You'll get the next one out.”
“But there's only one more inning! I probably won't get another at-bat!”
“Don't talk like that!” Yachiru admonished. “We'll tie the game and it will go into extra innings.”
Kenpachi brightened. “Do you think so? That would be good. Then we can keep fighting. I hate it when the fighting's over.”
Renji went to the plate trying to avoid eye contact with Byakuya. Byakuya, however, watched Renji closely with his arms crossed. Renji let the first pitch go by and heaved a small sigh of relief when it was a ball. He let the second pitch go by, too, but shuddered slightly when it was declared a strike. His eyes flicked to Byakuya and back to Grimmjow.
“I sure hope Renji doesn't make Byakuya resort to words,” Matsumoto said. “It could get ugly. He might cry.”
Renji caught the third pitch solidly and sent it screaming into deep left center field. Wonderweiss, to no one's surprise, was completely unaware of the approaching ball. Yammi, on the other hand, was pounding across the outfield, desperately trying to get there in time. At the last minute, he leaped, stretching all the way out with his glove hand extended, and just caught the ball on the tip of the glove. He hit the ground hard, skidded on his belly for a second, and then rolled over. But he kept his gloved hand in the air the whole time, with the ball clutched in the top of the webbing. He popped to his feet to the thunderous applause from the Hollow crowd.
“What a spectacular catch, Yoruichi!” Urahara announced. “I didn't think the big Arrancar would get there in time.”
Hopeful that the ball would drop, Rukia had started running to second, but now she raced back to first. Byakuya merely glanced at her, his completely smooth expression radiating approval to the discerning eye. But then he turned his flat, expressionless gaze on Renji. Renji froze in his tracks. Then he started inching sideways toward the dugout, careful not to turn his back on Byakuya.
“Ok, now Byakuya really reminds me of Ulquiorra,” Yoruichi said. “He looks like he's picking out the best spots for a quick, thorough flaying.” She rubbed her chin. “There's an interesting question. Who do you think would flay a victim faster: Byakuya or Ulquiorra?”
“Oh, Ulquiorra, definitely,” Urahara replied, “but I think Byakuya would end up with the more aesthetically pleasing result.”
Yoruichi lifted an eyebrow. “An aesthetically pleasing flaying?”
“It's all in the blood spatter.”
“I see.” Yoruichi pursed her lips. “You need to get out more.”
“So, the Shinigami have one on and one out with Chad coming to the plate,” Urahara announced.
Grimmjow watched Chad arrive silently at the plate. “Do you ever speak?”
Chad nodded.
“So say something!”
Chad blinked at him. “Uh... pitch the ball.”
“Sheesh!” Grimmjow rolled his eyes. He took the sign from Gin and prepared to pitch the ball. Chad fouled the first pitch into the left field stands, were several Shinigami fans scrambled for the ball.
“It's mine!” Tatsuki shouted and she dove into the pile. Shinigami started flying out of the pile as she flung them heartlessly aside. “Aha!” Tatsuki surged to her feet with the ball clutched proudly in her fist. “I've got my souvenir of the game!” She hurried back to her seat, while the Shinigami who thought they had a chance at the ball were left with nothing but bruises.
“That girl's tough!” one of them muttered.
“She's not beautiful,” Ayasegawa sniffed. “Not like my lovely Ikkaku. He'll be at bat next.”
The neighboring Shinigami stuffed their fingers in their ears.
The next pitch to Chad was a sinking fastball and he managed to get under it, looping the ball into right center field. Looking very put out, Stark jogged in to get it and Chad stopped at first. Shunsuke held Rukia up at second.
Now Ikkaku came to the plate, a sheen of sweat gleaming on his bald head. His sleeves were rolled down and his shirt was properly buttoned. “It's hot!” he complained.
“I'm tired of you players not wearing your uniforms correctly,” Isshin retorted.
“You didn't seem to care when Matsumoto's tits were spilling out in your face!”
“Well,” Isshin fanned himself, “one has to take certain physical limitations into account. Just deal with it.”
Ikkaku mumbled something that should probably have gotten him ejected. He stepped up to the plate and glared at Grimmjow. Ikkaku swung awkwardly at the first pitch and missed it. “You see?!” he exclaimed to Isshin. “I can't swing properly with all this material binding my muscles.”
“It's still a strike,” Isshin said flatly.
Swearing under his breath, Ikkaku returned his attention to Grimmjow. The next pitch was high, but Ikkaku hit it anyway. It popped up high into center field and Yammi moved under it easily.
“Man!” Yammi exclaimed when he caught the ball. “Doesn't anyone else have to play? I'm the only one who did anything this inning.”
“I was pitching this whole time!” Grimmjow pointed out.
“Yeah, well next time, get them to hit the balls to someone else. I'm tired!”
“Well, that's got to be disappointing for the Shinigami,” Urahara announced. “They had two on, but failed to capitalize on it. So the Arrancar hold onto their two run lead as we head into the ninth. I'm on the edge of my seat here, and I know everyone else is, too, Yoruichi. This is one hell of a game!”
“It sure is, Urahara, and the Shinigami are running out of chances. But before we move on, let's check in on our lucky Grand Prize winner and see if he's still alive, um, I mean, enjoying himself, in the Arrancar luxury VIP box with former Shinigami captain and paragon of evil Aizen Sousuke.”
Now wearing a finely woven yukata, a slightly drunk Asano toasted them with his Champagne flute. He was comfortably reclined on a divan next to Aizen, propped up on silk pillows, with a plate of sashimi at his fingertips. “I'm havin' a great time!” Asano called out. “This is the best prize I've ever won!”
Aizen watched him with an amused smile on his face. “We'll have even more fun later,” he purred. “I have a few more diverting entertainments planned for after the game.”
“That sounds great!” Asano sipped his wine happily.
“That idiot's gonna get himself killed!” Tatsuki grumbled.
“But he'll probably die happy,” Ishida said.
“Not if I can help it!” Tatsuki declared. “If anyone gets to kill that idiot, it's me!” She shook her fist at Aizen. “You better not do anything worse than violate his backside!”
“What?” Asano asked blurrily.
“I wouldn't think of it,” Aizen said, his smile widening. He put an arm around Asano and offered him a nibble of sushi. Asano ate it eagerly and Aizen lifted his eyebrows at Tatsuki. “He won't even have a bruise. I promise.”
Tatsuki groaned and covered her eyes. “That fool Asano has no idea what he's in for.”