Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Lifeless ❯ Protection ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Protection
When Toushirou was alive, he had, in the house where he lived, a glass-fronted cabinet, where all the treasures of the family were placed.
After he died, he remembered a quiet maxim, “Important things have to be put away, so then they're easier to protect”.
He didn't have anything in Soul Society to protect, waking there with nothing but the clothes on his back.
Then out of the slums of Rukongai emerged a little girl who was good and sweet and kind and had a smile he wanted to lock away only for him forever.
He protected her even then, because he was smart (so he could trick them), and small (so he was faster) and there were many things a brainless little girl needed to be protected from in the slums of Rukongai.
He let her go to Seireitei because he thought she would be safe there, behind those walls of spirit stone, where he was unable to see her but that was all right because neither could any harm.
Then her letters came, full of, `Renji-kun accidentally blasted a hole in the wall during Demon Arts today (who the hell was Renji, and how close was the hole to her head?)', `I lost a match against Kira-kun today (once again, who the hell was Kira, and what did he do with the length of sharp metal to make you lose?) and the cincher, `We were attacked by hollows today, and two sempais died'(What the hell were they teaching in there?).
He realized, belatedly, that she had gone to Shinigami school, a school for people to learn to kill giant monsters. Where it was NOT SAFE. NOT SAFE at all, in capital letters and everything.
So, obviously, there was only one thing to do.
He joined the school the next morning, damn the age restrictions.
Hinamori needed protection. He was there.
-end-