Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Of Demons and Death ❯ Ex-Lieutenant of the 12th Division ( Chapter 1 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Okay, here I go… I DO NOT and WILL NEVER own any part of Bleach or Inuyasha. I merely beg the forgiveness of the authors for twisting their characters and ideas to fit my sick needs.
 
NOTE: NO INUYASHA CHARACTERS WILL BE DEPICTED IN THIS WORK! I MERELY TOOK SEVERAL IDEAS TO SUPPLEMENT MY OWN!
 
This whole story has been revamped due to the new information coming out in the manga, which means if you aren't reading the manga then be prepared for a lot of spoilers.
 
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
 
My eyes swept the night as I leaned against the doorway of the warehouse, waiting for the signal from my Captain. Normally I would never have agreed to stay with Captain Shinji and the others, but I needed a place to wait for the finishing of the gate to Soul Society. For some unknown reason Hiyori had decided to join me in my wait, her constant sighing starting to get on my nerves.
“You know, you don't have to wait with me.” I snapped angrily as Hiyori sighed for the umpteenth time that night.
I could feel my face twitching as she stuck her tongue out at me, the usual answer for anything I said to her. Deciding to ignore her for the time being, I reached into my pocket for my watch when something large and red zoomed past me. Quickly turning around I saw that Hiyori was covered in red paint, her body shaking from anger.
“That schmuck!” screeched Hiyori as she tried to wipe the paint away. “What the hell kinda signal is this!?”
I bit my lip to stop from laughing as the paint dripped away, leaving part of Captain's message painted on Hiyori's forehead.
“Don't move.” I said, barely containing my laugh as the paint continued to drip away to reveal the rest of the message.
“This paint had better come out or I'll kill that bastard myself.” growled Hiyori angrily as she tried to wipe the paint off her jumpsuit.
“Tell me how well that goes.” I said over my shoulder as I started walking towards the shop.
“Shut up!” shouted Hiyori angrily before stalking back into the warehouse, viciously rubbing at the words on her clothing.
“Reijin, wait.” said Captain Shinji as he walked out of the warehouse, avoiding the seething Hiyori.
“Yeah?” I asked as I stopped and turned around.
“Be careful.” he said, his customary grin missing as he fished around in his pocket before pulling something out. “Take this.”
He tossed the object to me and I quickly caught it with my right hand, holding it out so I could see what it was.
“What is it?” I asked as I looked back up at him.
“It's a good luck charm.” he said as he looked away. “Considering where you're going you're probably going to need it.”
“I didn't know you believed in luck.” I said and Captain Shinji scoffed as I tied the charm to one of the loops of my obi.
“Just remember, we're considered criminals in Soul Society.” said Captain Shinji as he looked back at me. “If they catch you they will show no mercy.”
“I'd be more concerned about my other indiscretions if I were you.” I said jokingly and Captain Shinji just continued to stare at me dolefully.
“I'll be fine. Captain said that Yoruichi was also going so I'll have someone to watch my back.” I said before turning and waving goodbye. “See you when I get back!”
“Just be careful.” he said as I walked off and I waved again.
It didn't take me very long to reach Captain's shop and I neatly stepped over another puddle of red paint before entering the store. When my eyes had adjusted to the darkness I quickly made my way through the aisles to where he had said the entrance to his new `secret training area' was located. Personally, I was just surprised that he hadn't built one sooner with all the free time he had on his hands. As I started to descend the ladder I could hear my Captain trying to explain how he planned on getting us to Soul Society.
“This door is usually made by having reishihenkankon added to the top of sankaimon, and then have the ketsugoufu cover it up to make it stick together.” explained Captain as I stopped to listen for a second.
A laugh almost escaped my lips as I heard one of the kids ask Captain what exactly reishihenkankon and sankaimon were. I continued my descent as Captain continued to explain.
“I'm sure you know that Soul Society is the world of souls. So, if you want to go there, you have to be a soul. But the only one here who can move around as a soul is Kurosaki. As for the rest of you, even if your souls were separated from your bodies, you would still be chained down by the Chain of Fate. It would be hard for you to even move, not to mention go to Soul Society. That's why there's a need for reishihenkanki. This changes the kishi, which makes up things in the living, into “reishi”, the main component of souls.” continued Captain.
“So it means we don't separate the souls. We just go through the door.” said a dark-haired teenager with glasses, his garb clearly identifying him as a Quincy. Why would a Quincy be accompanying us on this trip?
“Right!” said Captain, excited that someone had actually been able to follow his explanation. “You guys can go to Soul Society in your original form!”
“Okay. I got it.” said the orange-haired replacement shinigami as he started walking towards the gate. “Then let's go in!” he continued before Captain jabbed him in the hip with a disguised Benhime. “Oh shit!”
“Now is the important topic!” said Captain, completely ignoring the replacement shinigami as he groaned in pain. “That's right. There's no problem going through this door. Reishihenkanki won't bring pain. As long as you move forward, you can get to Soul Society.” continued the Captain before becoming serious. “The problem is time. The time allowed to go through the senkaimon to Soul Society is only four minutes!”
“Four minutes!” whispered the girl as the group suddenly straightened.
“Once the time is up, the door will close and you guys will be locked forever inside the dangai.” said the Captain solemnly.
“Jeez Captain, scare them anymore and they won't want to go.” I said as I walked up to the group.
All heads turned towards me and a smile lit up on Captain's face.
“I almost thought you didn't get my message!” said Captain happily as he waved at me.
“How could I miss it when it barely missed me?” I asked as I walked up to Captain. “Speaking of that, Hiyori's going to be on the warpath if that paint doesn't come out.”
“You're a shinigami to!?” asked the replacement shinigami, surprised as he looked between me and Urahara. “And she called you Captain, so…”
“Yes! She was my Lieutenant!” said Captain happily as he hugged me with his free arm. “Her name is Reijin and she agreed to accompany you to Soul Society! This is Ichigo-kun.” He pointed to the replacement shinigami. “This is Ishida-kun.” The Quincy. “This is Inoue-chan.” The girl. “And this is Sado-kun.” The really tall guy.
“Hold on! How come her outfit is different from mine, or any other shinigami that I've seen for that matter?” asked Ichigo as he pointed at me.
“That's cause it's the uniform of the Head of Special Forces.” I explained, their eyes widening. “I never was the Head of Special Forces. I just found the uniform more to my liking since hardly anyone wore it. Plus those standard issue robes are so hard to move in, what with their flappy sleeves and pant legs.”
“So, I take it you specialize in close combat?” asked Ishida, gesturing towards my arm guards.
“You're pretty smart for a Quincy.” I said, a look of annoyance clouding his face as I tucked my thumbs into my obi. “Anyways, I think the Captain should continue on with his speech.”
”What was I talking about?” asked Captain as he scratched his chin.
“You were talking about the dangai.” I reminded.
“Yes, dangai! Also, in the dangai, in order to prevent enemies, such as Hollows, from entering it's filled with a current called kouyruu, which can stop souls from moving. Just one foot caught in it and the chance of leaving dangai on time is almost impossible.” said Captain, his hat obscuring his eyes.
“Then… what do we do?” asked Inoue.
“Just keep moving.”
“Yoruichi-san.” said Inoue as Yoruichi walked up in her cat form.
“Did I not tell you the heart and soul are connected? What's important is how your heart thinks.” said Yoruichi as she continued to walk towards the gate.
I watched each and everyone of the group, reading their facial expressions as Yoruichi continued talking. All of them looked determined, the girl Inoue appearing a little scared but determined none the less.
“…only those who may do it can follow me.” said Yoruichi, finishing her speech with a flourish.
“What are you talking about!?” asked Ichigo angrily. “Those who chose to gather here have made the decision and will definitely follow it!”
“Kid, you should know very well if you lose, you will never return.” returned Yoruichi calmly and I couldn't help but smile. Even after all these years she still hadn't changed a bit.
“Of course we have to win!” shouted Ichigo and I saw a small smile cross Yoruichi's face.
“Well said.” said Yoruichi as Captain started opening the gate.
“Ready?” he asked as he looked back. “Run the moment it's open.”
“Got it.” said Ichigo. “Kon! Please take care of my family.”
I looked around him to see a small plush lion who apparently had his mouth taped shut to keep him quiet. He stopped his struggling at this comment from Ichigo, looking almost surprised.
“Take care of them Reijin.” said Captain as he looked up at me.
“Don't worry Captain. I'll make sure they come back alive.” I said as the gate flared open.
“Let's go!” shouted Captain and he watched as we all ran into the open portal.
Once we had passed into the dangai the teenagers stopped, awed at what the dangai actually looked like.
“This is…” began Inoue.
“Dangai.” finished Ichigo.
“Move it!” I shouted as I slowed my pace to look back.
“Yes, move!” shouted Yoruichi. “Stop zoning out! Run! The kouryuu will close in!”
They picked back up into a run and the last thing I saw as I turned around was Captain closing the gate, a serious look on his face. I quickly matched my pace with Yoruichi, the sound of the path closing behind us loud in my ears.
 
~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~ `~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~`~
 
Ah, it is so much nicer to edit a chapter than to write one! Hopefully I'll be able to start churning out new chapters soon as I'm really having fun writing this. Also, just be warned that I may have to continue editing as more of the manga comes out as so much has yet to be uncovered.
 
Also, I want to say thank you to anihana for being the first to review my story. It's really helpful to know that someone actually likes where my story is going.