Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Orihime's Groundhog Day ❯ Science Project ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Orihime's Groundhog Day. She finds that she can relive the same 4 hours (not a whole day, so the title is a little misleading) with Ichigo. Will she ever get it right?
 
This is set immediately after the Soul Society arc assuming that Orihime and Ichigo have returned to school and actually attend for about a week.
 
 
First Attempt
 
`I hate science projects', Ichigo muttered. He sounded exasperated.
 
Orihime looked at him from across the table and smiled. `Sorry, Ichigo. I didn't hear what you said.'
 
`Nothing.'
 
There was silence as they continued working. They had been partnered to work on a science project together. Because of frequent interruptions from Ichigo's' family when they tried to study at his home, they were working at Orihime's place. They had been working for nearly 2 hours so far. They had eaten in a fast food place before they studied. Ichigo had heard about Orihimes' cooking. Basically, they had spent 3 hours together.
 
Orihime was excited having Ichigo in her room. It was great spending so much time with him. She had made him tea and offered him snacks. He was being so nice.
 
While they were studying, she intended to be serious and work hard, but she occasionally found her gaze straying from her work across the table. When he was concentrating Ichigo would make his scary face. His scary face made her smile. Her occasional glances meant she could look at his hands, his face. She would only allow a short look before she returned to work, but the time between glances was becoming shorter.
 
Ichigo looked up and noticed her gaze. He turned around and saw her brother's photograph.
 
`I suppose you still miss him?' he asked thinking she had been looking at the photograph.
 
`Huh?' Orihime was a little confused embarrassed at being caught out. Then she remembered the photograph. `Ah, yes, yes, of course I still miss him, everyday.' `
 
`But not as much as I would miss you,' she thought
 
The words slipped out and she immediately regretted them. Ichigo looked confused.
 
`Miss me? Why would you miss me?'
 
Orihime groaned and mentally slapped herself around a bit, while she tried to think of an answer.
 
`I would miss you if you left, Ichigo.' It was a compromise.
 
`But I have to leave sometime soon. I've got to go home.' Ichigo was still confused.
 
`Forget I said anything. I'm just talking nonsense. Back to work now. Time for talk is over.'
 
She bent to her task, hoping Ichigo would just go back to work. She glanced up to see him looking at the photograph. He turned to her.
 
`Orihime, I'm not your brother. I'm your friend and you can rely on me. I will protect you and help you. But we are friends. I don't think you would miss me as much as your brother, nor should you.' He said the last words gently.
 
Orihime looked at Ichigo. Those words were so gentle, so caring. Without thinking through the consequences she said
 
`When we were in Soul Society, so many times I thought you had died or were going to die. Every time I felt this, I wanted to die also, Ichigo. I wanted to die because I care for you so much.' Orihime swallowed.
 
That was all she was going to say. No more.
 
Ichigo was looking worried.
 
`I love you, Ichigo.' She shut her eyes. Darn, she had said it. All the times she had imagined saying those words to him. Reality was not so romantic.
 
`I'm sorry to hear that, Orihime.' Ichigo said.
 
She looked at him startled. That was not the response for which she hoped.
 
There was silence as each of them tried to think of what to say. Ichigo started to pack up his books. It was obvious to him that no further work would be done that night. He may as well go home quickly before any more words were said.
 
Orihime started talking fast. `I know you do not love me, Ichigo, but love could happen between us. You see me as a friend. That is a start. Just give me a chance. Get to know me better. I know you could love me. I have enough love for both of us. Please, don't go.'
 
Ichigo got up to leave.
 
`Orihime, please stop. I like you as a friend, yes, but I don't love you. I think it is best I go, now before you say anything else.'
 
He walked toward the door. Orihime quickly jumped to her feet, flung her arms around Ichigo's neck and kissed him. His lips were soft. Ichigo quickly reacted and pulled away from her.
 
`No, Orihime, don't. I'm leaving now.'
 
He put his hand on the doorknob.
 
`Ichigo, will you have sex with me?' Orihime asked rather desperately.
 
Ichigo turned around.
 
`No.'
 
`Why not?'
 
`Because it's not a good idea. I don't love you and you say you love me. I could have sex with you but it wouldn't mean much to me and too much to you. You'd want more than just sex and I can't give that to you.'
 
`Are you in love with someone else?' Orihime asked.
 
Ichigo did not answer.
 
`Are they in love with you?'
 
Ichigo still did not reply and did not look at her.
 
`It's an offer of sex, free and clear. One night is all I ask, just one night. Please, Ichigo. You can leave once it's over. I'll never ask again. If we could just make love once, I would have that memory for the rest of my life.'
 
Ichigo sighed and shook his head. `It won't work Orihime. You just went from saying sex to making love. It needs two people to make love. I've told you I don't love you.'
 
`I promise I won't mention it again. Oh, Ichigo. I want you to be my first.' She had said too much, again. She watched Ichigo blush.
 
`That's another reason why not. The first time should be something to remember, not with someone who can't love you.' Ichigo was looking nervous. His hand was turning the doorknob.
 
At this moment his Shinigami battle license alerted him to a hollow being near.
 
`Sorry, Orihime. Gotta go.' Ichigo ran out the door, seeming happier to face a hollow than Orihime.
 
`I'm not going to cry,' Orihime told herself as the tears trickled down her face. `Why couldn't I have kept quiet? It was going so well, just having him here. Why did I say anything?'
 
She pictured herself in the boxing ring, beating herself up. A jab to the ribs, a punch to the face, yeah, that's right, hurt her. Make her bleed for her stupidity. It made her feel a little better.
 
Orihime packed her books away. She knew that Ichigo would not mention this to anyone. `If only he could love me,' she thought.
 
Then she remembered the little necklace Jidanbo had given her for healing him. He had told her some strange story that it could repeat a 4 hour period of time in order to obtain the outcome you most desired. Well, he didn't use those exact words, but that was the general idea.
 
There were a few problems. You could only use the charm for one 4 hour period, repeating that 4 hour period as many times as you wished. Once you had used it, it would not work for you again and you had to give it to someone else and explain the magic.
 
In some cases, people who were influenced by the charm would remember the original hours, but might not remember the final repeat. It depended on fate's decree. You would remember every repeat and it would affect your future, but there was no guarantee that everything would turn out exactly as you planned. At least it was honest magic. If, however, there was some slight possibility that fate smiled on your changes, then the other people would remember the final outcome. Orihime had immediately asked if she could relive the time when her brother died, so he didn't die. Jidanbo had told her that it was not possible to use the charm to bring back the dead. Also, it could only affect a limited number of people.
 
Jidanbo had mentioned a few other conditions, but her mind had wandered into a daydream while he was talking and now she could not remember. Maybe she would remember them soon. There were so many rules and no loopholes. She'd probably find out the other rules if she used the charm.
 
Should she keep the charm and use it later? No, she wanted Ichigo to fall in love with her. Maybe she could do that in 4 hours, if she tried really hard. If not, she could try again until she succeeded. She knew the chances were that he might not remember, but she was optimistic (not perhaps realistic) about her chances.
 
She would use the charm!
 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reviews please