Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Rukia's Birthday Surprise: What First Kiss? ❯ It's No big deal ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Bleach isn't mine, it belongs to Tite Kubo. This is fan fiction and means no harm to the anime/manga.
a/n: I'm sure other people have had this idea before, so I apologize in advance if this story in any way happens to resemble any others. I was inspired for the plot of this by reading magicsmith's story Hollow Charm on how Renji and Rukia interact. Go read their story now for a great take on Renji and Rukia not to mention Ichigo and Orhime.
A Unexpected Birthday Present for Rukia
***
Papers shuffled on the desk in front of Rukia Kuchiki in the 13th squad office. A small dark haired figure sat on a deep chair, dwarfed by the huge wooden desk. To her left and right were the bookcases laden with various tomes of past Soul Reaper writings. She had said she would help her Captain and vice captain catch up so they attend a mandatory meeting of all the leaders. Yet there was another reason she had found something to occupy her time today.
“I shouldn't have told them I didn't want a surprise party,” Rukia grumbled.
“All right, another stack of five million forms,” she said, tapping her pen on the nearby `to do' pile of forms. Naturally she expected things to follow the same pattern this year as in the previous one, when she first joined the 13th'squad and it was a blast.
Rukia would hear there was a meeting or a training exercise, during which Captain Ukitake asked the dark haired shinigami not to leave the office until she had tackled a stack of overdue reports. Then later on in the night, someone from the 13th squad pounded on the door and dragged her to a private celebration. Next, her brother Byakuya would send for her and remind her that she needed to attend her own formal celebration. Once his sister departed celebrating with the 13th squad, a long banquet at the Kuchiki estate would occupy the rest of the evening where she would receive her presents.
“Okay, it's already one,” she mumbled, staring at the clock on the wall. She shoved a few papers aside and brushed her sweaty lock of hair out of her face.
“Maybe they forgot?” she wondered. "Maybe they took it seriously when I told them not to go out of their way and I'd celebrate my birthday in my own way? Stupid move Rukia! I didn't think they'd take me seriously!"
“I've been too wrapped up in the human world. This sort of thing only happens there, not in Soul Society. At least not to me,” she laughed, pushing aside stacks of papers. Now here she was with a pile of work that she figured was the perfect excuses for people to plan a surprise get together, and nobody had come. It was difficult to be separated from her new friends, but she felt the need to do this for her own mental cleansing. Time and distance were required, for she had said she wouldn't thank Ichigo Kurosaki for saving her.
 
"I know why he rejected my request," she mumbled, scribbling in a column of blanks on one form. "But it still doesn't make sense. Oh well, I won't think about it. I will think about why my brother said he was going on a training mission with sixth company today. I hope he's using it as an excuse to plan my party!"
Birthdays in the Kuchiki family were formal affairs, with a certain rigidness that predominated since she was adopted. Always there would be an elaborate dinner and only guests her brother approved of would be permitted to attend.
Therefore, when he made no mention of such plans, Rukia was sure it was because he was still coming to terms with her reinstatement. His pride was wounded, and his acceptance of the situation was one thing. Yet avoiding social situations were another. Therefore, she accepted that her birthday would be one of quiet reflection until they threw her surprise party. After all things had followed the same pattern this year. Her captain had his meeting, she had the paperwork sorted into piles on Ukitake's desk and it was already past noon. What was keeping them? Perhaps it was petulant and childish to have others surprise her, but that was truly what she thought the whole thing implied.
***
Now it was three PM and Rukia had finally tossed the last document into the `done' basket. Stretching she rolled her arms and then yawned. Her stomach sank, watching the clock and realizing they had in all probability forgot. By now, the dark haired shinigami would be having the time of her life at some party. Maybe she should have stayed in the human world. At least Orihime and Tatsuki could have dragged her out to the mall or a movie and dinner.
A loud pounding on the door caught her attention. Stacking another set of papers, Rukia Kuchiki called out, “Yes? Who is it? If you're looking for the Captain he's not here…”
The door slid open, revealing the last person she expected to see marching in. His spiky red hair seemed to stick well out over the dark band that held it back it. A white headband knotted over his left eye concealed his distinctive tattooed eyebrows. With a serious expression on his face her visitor said, “Vice Captain Abarai from 6th squad reporting with a request.”
“I'm sorry the Captain's not here. And what's with all the formality, especially today?” she said, frustrated by the formal demeanor of her old friend. In place on his arm was the band of an assistant captain, and he had polished the thing to make it shine. Just what was Renji Abarai doing here today when there was a meeting?
Renji wandered further into the office, surveying its contents with a measured gaze. His arms were folded before him and shoved into the sleeves of his uniform. Glancing down at Rukia, he said, “Well I suppose I'll have to talk to ya then.”
“I thought you were off on that mandatory meeting with my brother,” said Rukia surprised to see him, but relieved.
“It let out early because he thought something else was more important,” the vice captain of squad 6 said impressively. She noticed he stood quite still, and had not removed his hands from his robe.
“Which was what?” Rukia asked, her heart leaping at the thought her brother at least had not forgotten. Granted she was not up for a formal celebration, but it was a good sign that Byakuya was recovering his injured pride if he had sent Renji to get her.
“Your brother, Captain Kuchiki requests your presence at your birthday party, and has sent me to escort you to the manor forthwith,” Renji said formally. She started to giggle, hiding her laughter behind her hand.
“What? I'm not kidding! Your brother sent me to pick you up,” said Renji, flustered.
“You don't have to be so formal around me. He's not here you know. I thought being in the human world would have loosened you up and ever since you've been back you're even MORE mister business when you're on duty,” Rukia laughed at him.
“All right, you win. I thought it'd get your attention anyway if I played at being all formal,” Renji confessed, walking over to the desk and sitting down on the corner of it. His hands slipped out of the sleeves of his robe at last, and then she saw a small blue silk covered box drop out of them. Violet eyes widened and Rukia extended her hand automatically toward it. Renji watched her, still shifting his weight to sit more comfortably on the corner of her desk. It gladdened the dark haired Soul Reaper to see her childhood friend dropping his act in front of her in the privacy of her captain's office.
“Brought it back from the human world. Your brother wanted you to open them at the right time at your party,” Renji said, rolling his eyes as Rukia sighed dramatically. Both knew how he loved to throw lavish banquets with everyone following the rules for what dish to eat when, running like clockwork.
“So my brother didn't forget,” she smiled warmly, rising from the desk. As she circled to the front of the desk where Renji sat, he swung his legs around to face her. Anxious, he scrutinized her carefully turning the package over in her hands. Its soft silk was decorated with peacocks, its lid fastened with a small chip of ivory.
“Well you can open THAT one here,” Renji Abarai said, glancing past her, without looking her in the eye.
“We wouldn't' want to make my brother angry,” she teased him. “But it's strange.”
“What's strange?” Renji asked, blinking.
“I didn't expect my own captain and company to forget,” she mumbled, holding the package close to her ear and shaking it.
“Who do you think's at your brother's house waiting for you at dinner? Your brother invited them all this year,” Renji admitted.
Rukia blushed as she clawed at the box lid. Setting it down on the desk, she carefully opened it while Renji watched her like a hawk. When he heard her giggle, the tattooed vice captain smirked. Eagerly she drew out the silver charm bracelet and held it up to see the items dangling from it.
“It was Orihime's idea. Each of us got you a charm that said something we liked about you,” Renji said, voice cracking a bit.
“Which one was yours?” Rukia said holding it up to him between the thumb and forefingers of either hand. “Put it on me.”
Renji took the halves of the chain and then slipped it over her outstretched wrist. He fastened the clasp and she shook her wrist happily, hearing the jingle of the bangles on the silver chain. She fingered a silver star, a small cupid with a bow and arrow, a tiny replica sword, a small cute smiley face, and a flat piece of metal engraved with her name in cursive, and a Chappy the rabbit charm.
“Let me guess. The bow and arrow themed one was Ishida's idea, and Orihime's was the happy face right?” she asked.
“Yep. Can you guess the others?” Renji asked, with an amused smile.
“The sword I'd guess was Ichigo, because I don't think he'd think of getting my name engraved on it…”
“Sado bought the sword, and Ichigo said you needed one with your name on it. Cause he gave one to his 2 sisters,” said Renji with a slight cough.
“And yours?” she asked.
“It's the Chappy rabbit one,” Renji smirked. “And um, the silver star.”
“Oh... damn… this is too much,” Rukia chuckled. Face glowing, her heart melted at the thought that her friends HAD remembered, and Renji had brought her the present.
“Are you surprised? I wanted to give it to you,” Renji said proudly. “Since the others couldn't be here.”
“Thank you,” Rukia said, rushing over to him.
Holding an arm out to her Renji smiled, “Happy Birthday Rukia.”
She slid her arms around his waist and Renji hugged her back. Pressing her cheek into his robe, she inhaled the scent of clean fabric along with the smell of what seemed to be cologne. Many of the Soul Reapers wore perfumes of some sort or another, sometimes as simple as lavender or jasmine to clear the air of bad spirit. However, the dark haired soul reaper had not smelled this fragrance on him before. It was reminiscent of cinnamon with an undertone of musk. While Renji rubbed her back, she gently massaged the small of his back in turn. It felt good when he held her like this for longer than just a few seconds.
Glancing down at her Renji said, “So are you going to come with me like a good little girl or are you going to get my butt in trouble?”
“You're trouble incarnate,” she said. “Are you sure my brother trusts you to deliver me safely?”
“Hah says you. He said he'd trust none other with your transport,” the Division 6 Vice-captain laughed, stroking her hair. He rested his chin on her head, and she was surprised he did not let go. Instead, Renji held her slightly at arm's length, his eyes searching hers for something.
“Delivering that gift from everyone. And coming to get me, it's a surprise all right,” Rukia Kuchiki said, smiling up at him.
“Of course. I figured I was the one to best carry out the mission. Knowing if it were left up to Ichigo, he would screw it up. And I asked your brother to be the one to escort you there,” said Renji with a proud smile, his red eyes softly gleaming in a way that made her skin tingle.
“You asked him? Should I be flattered or disgusted?” she asked with a grin.
“It's your choice. But he did say he trusted none other,” Renji shot back, enjoying the verbal banter. He released her, stepping back to clasp her hands in his, striking the back of them. She loved how he was touching her so softly and gently it sent shivers down her spine.
"I could just... just kiss you," she gushed, standing on her tiptoes.
Renji blinked down at her and licked his lips, as her face approached his. He warned her, "I can't let ya do that.”