Bleach Fan Fiction ❯ Rukia's Birthday Surprise: What First Kiss? ❯ Walking to the Party ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Bleach, Tite Kubo does. This is fan fiction.
“You asked for his permission to… court me? Renji have you lost your mind?” Rukia whispered when they were well clear of the 13th division. She pulled her hand out of his arm and walked at a more agitated pace under the light of the fast setting sun. However, Renji took longer steps and easily kept up with her. Despite the calm in the recent storm each soul reaper still was allowed to carry their zanpakuto at all times. This meant her own sword dangled at her hip, thrust into the belt of her uniform sash.
“What did ya expect me to do, Rukia? It's one thing for us to hang around with Ran n' Ikkaku and the rest drinking. Or in the living' world with Strawberry, Inoue and company. But another not that you're cool with your big brother,” Renji explained. He grabbed the hilt of Zabimaru impatiently out of habit, seeking reassurance and self-confidence that was fast fading. Why did she do this to him?
“I appreciate you trying to do things right, Renji, but you could have told me WHAT was on your mind first?” Rukia said, as they walked side by side now.
“Didn't think I needed to. Figured you already knew how I felt. I'm not good at feelings, and hearts and flowers crap,” he grumbled.
“I'm surprised you didn't get advice from Captain Kyoraku with this stunt about courting me,” Rukia laughed, still irked. “I'm flattered, but you really never stop surprising me.”
“You wanted me to kick your butt to get your attention like in school?” Renji raised one elaborate brow.
“Jerk,” Rukia stuck her tongue out at him. “I still can't believe you placed higher than me on that damn entrance exam!”
“Kira got the highest mark and ya saw what almost happened t' him,” Renji replied. “He almost pissed in his pants when he saw his first real hollow.”
“You mean when you, he and Momo saved Shuuhi's butt?” Rukia chuckled.
“Yeah that's right,” Renji nodded.
“I recall a certain smart assed advanced student who was full of himself kicking me in my backside?” Rukia frowned, glaring at him.
“Ah well,” Renji replied, rubbing the back of his neck and then chuckling awkwardly.
“Hey why are we talking about the old days, Renji? You're deliberately trying to change the subject you sneak,” Rukia accused him.
“What if I was? You bitched that we don't get time t' catch up. Just making small talk is all,” Renji answered.
“Stop dancing around and look at me,” Rukia demanded, darting around in front of him so their bodies collided. Renji steadied her by gripping her shoulders while she braced her hands on his chest.
“I'm looking now, Rukia, and admiring' the view,” he grinned.
“Renji, get your mind out of the gutter! The next time you have some big idea about changing things between you and me, tell me first before going behind my back and asking my brother,” she huffed.
“I didn't go behind your back Rukia! How many times do I have to tell ya I was just doing what was right?” Renji sighed exasperated.
“I'm so damn sick of reading your mind. You are always using the excuse you're bad at talking about things and that's just a damn cop out. You just like to be in control,” Rukia said, poking him in the chest.
Renji grasped that hand, rubbing the palm sensually, shutting her up. He said, “What's wrong with depending on a man sometimes eh? You're always so damn stubborn it only makes me want to protect you more. I know you can take care of yourself, but you push other people out. And I'm damn sick of bein' on the outside of it. You're damn good at putting up walls.”
“Sometimes we had no choice to put them up because we weren't the ones who put them there in the first place. Sometimes we want someone to prove us wrong,” Rukia said cryptically, looking down at their hands clasped.
Renji let go of her hands and encircled her with his arms instead, hugging her tightly. Caught off guard and pleasantly surprised Rukia forgot her next comment, simply enjoying how good this felt. Turning her head to the side, she pressed her face into his belly and wrapped her own arms around his waist tightly. Old emotions tangled together and she valued the possessive hug that told her that he would be there no matter what. Pulling back, he caressed the side of her face while still securing her to himself with the other arm.
“That's what I'm doing now,” he answered.
His warm hand on her cheek startled her, causing Rukia to choke. She fought back tears, relieved when she saw him bend over and bring his face close to hers. Kissing she could handle, words she could not. Not right now.
Closing her eyes, she felt the soft caress of his lips brush hers like a death butterfly. Then she leaned forwards when it was gone. She felt his weight shift when his mouth claimed hers. Easily she looped her arms around his neck so her chest pressed to his. She turned her head to the side and opened her mouth when Renji prodded her it with his tongue. Rukia melted when his hot breath entered her mouth and he licked its roof delicately. Was it experience or a kiss he had rehearsed in his imagination for years out of desire for her? She preferred the second explanation.
Rukia enjoyed sliding fingers into the tightly bound hairs just behind his ears, fingering his carefully cut and clipped sideburns to do so. Curious still she traced the contour of one of his brows, feeling what felt like hair fading into skin. His hair was so much softer than hers was she was jealous. However, she stopped herself from reaching up to undo his hair holder because she did not want her suspicious brother asking stupid questions. Therefore, she contented herself with rubbing his neck and enjoying the firm circular motions of his head controlling the kiss. After all, she had only kissed him once before, well twice if she counted the kiss in the cell before her execution.
Hungrily she slipped her lips from under his and dominated the kiss. Renji's hum of delight and resulting squeeze on her body sent another jolt of desire through them. Forcing her tongue past his she explored his mouth. She would not shut him out this time. Sensing her relaxing, Renji caressed down her back to grasp her backside. Rukia's eyes popped open but she retaliated by slipping her hand into the neck of his kimono to touch his bare chest. She felt herself being pulled down and broke the kiss gasping.
“Nice,” she mumbled against his lips.
“If you liked that, c'mere,” Renji whispered, motioning her as he dragged her to sit under a tree in the light of the setting sun. He knelt on the grass and pulled her towards him. As she knelt, he yanked her towards him so she landed on his lap, or rather on his knees. Smiling she liked the idea of those thighs under hers and straddled them so she sat on his thighs. They felt wonderfully hard brushing her inner legs.
Now she could reach him a bit better, though she still had to lean up. Again, he initiated the kiss, and she relaxed easily into it. It was so comfortable and pleasant to drink in the taste of his lips sealing hers off and his hands caressing her small back. Through the material of his uniform, she felt the solidness of his muscles, her mind reeling with the glimpses of his tattooed body she had seen while visiting him in Division 4.
Renji tipped backwards, sitting on his bottom and stretching his legs out while keeping Rukia astride him. Bracing his back against the tree, he repositioned her so her bottom sat in the triangle of one thigh. He brought his other under so he was sitting Indian style now. Still holding onto him and trying to keep the kiss Rukia wondered how he would react to her wrapping her legs around his waist. He did not protest when they again surfaced and gazed at each other panting.
“You're not stopping me now,” Rukia murmured, brushing her nose to his. He kept one hand on her cheek, caressing it as if loathe to let go. His garnet red eyes intently traveled over her face, filled with admiration and single-minded adoration that made her swoon. Immediately she did not feel worthy of this love. He had the same look in his eyes when he carried her to safety all those months ago and it tugged at her tired heart.
“What's wrong Rukia? Tell me?” he asked, noticing the faraway look in her eyes. “If you want me to stop… we don't have to keep doing this.”
“No, I don't want you to stop, idiot,” Rukia answered, heart pounding.
“We've got time before the party,” Renji answered. “I rushed us because I wanted to have time with you… alone.”
She tried to stop the tears, squeezing her eyes shut and kissing him instead. Renji moaned with delight and deepened it. After only a minute, he pulled back, running his thumb over her warm lips. “Wish we'd done this all sooner,” he murmured.
“So do I,” Rukia answered, keeping her eyes shut so he could not gaze into them, though she loved how intense his own eyes were. She could stare into them for hours and not get tired. Rather she wanted him not to worry about her problems.
“Hey, daydreaming again? Didn't think I was boring ya that much,” he quipped, shaking her a bit. “Enough of that now, will ya? I'm here with ya now; you can forget all those reasons going through your mind why this shouldn't be happening.”
Her eyes opened and she felt the knot tighten in her throat. She opened her lips but no sound came. Instead, she pressed her face into his neck and clung to him tightly. Renji rubbed her back sensually, moving her so she would be in closer contact with him and realize how much he did want her. Lips close to her ear he whispered, “And you can stop thinking that shit about not being worth loving. Cause it's bullshit. What am I going to have to do to convince you otherwise? Stop taking on stuff ya can't control.”
“I'm not…”
“You don't think anybody should love ya because you loved someone ya couldn't have?” Renji asked.
“What are you talking about, smartass?”
“Sir Kaien, right? When are ya going to let that go and stop feeling guilty? So what if ya loved him? It's not like ya did anything ya shouldn't have. You're too honorable for that Rukia,” Renji said.
“I… how… that's not your business,” she blurted out, squirming on his lap. Renji however held her there, and held her face so she was forced to look at him.
“Let me in damn it. I told ya to let Ichigo and me help carry the load. I guess I shoulda explained that meant other things too,” Renji reproached her gently.
“You have no idea what you're talking about. It's my burden to carry. I don't want to share it,” Rukia answered.
“That's your call. But don't let it cut ya off from letting someone else… feel the same thing. Or you feelin' the same for someone else who only wants t' make you happy,” Renji scolded.
“You said you weren't good enough for me as a noble. I'm not good enough for you, Renji Abarai,” Rukia choked, her voice cracking.
“Hey, dontcha dare say that, woman,” Renji snapped, his eyes gleaming with anger. “Never say that around me again, Rukia! I won't have it! I want you damn it, an' I'll be damned if I let ya get away again!”
All she could do was stare at him with those deep eyes, and shiver. Gripping the front of his kimono, she seized his face and kissed him hard. Renji sighed with delight, feeling her finally relaxing, and enjoying what he had to give. When the kiss ended, she felt giddy and silly, pressing her brow to his.
“You're crazy you know,” she murmured.
“Hey was that a smile I saw in there? It's a miracle,” Renji teased. By now he knew she was far more comfortable sitting on his lap, which pleased him greatly.
“It's nice not to get my backside wet on the grass for a change,” she quipped back. “You're the one who's going to have a big wet stain on his hakama.”
“Yeah yeah, so what?” he chuckled. “I don't care. Cause I've got the girl of my dreams,” he continued.
“Dreams or nightmares?” Rukia asked. “You realize how corny that just sounded?”
“Ah well, maybe I said too much,” he mumbled, glancing away. She loved how cute he was wearing that blush a few shades lighter than his hair.
“I'm only teasing. Are you sure you're the same Renji I grew up with because you're sounding really too sentimental and sappy,” she continued, pretending to take his temperature by pressing her hand to his forehead. Something poked her in the stomach and she glanced up with very round eyes. He blinked as well and then realized their forgotten zanpakuto hilts were getting in the way. Awkwardly Rukia shifted on his lap, and he suppressed the groan.
“Sorry,” he mumbled. The mood shattered, and both awkward lovers blinked at each other.
“We'd better get going,” Rukia reminded him. “We'll continue this talk later, I promise.”
“I'm counting on it,” Renji answered, eagerly. He grabbed her outstretched hand after helping to brush the grass and bits of leaves from their uniforms. Satisfied they were presentable they continued on their trip.